Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

    Hello there,

    New forum member and relatively new to the system, though I own all 3 sets.

    Does anyone have any idea what a wand is, exactly, in the system?

    Arcane Lance: Mages learn to focus magical power through a
    staff or wand. If you are holding a quarterstaff or a wand, you
    can make a special ranged attack that damages foes with a
    lance of magical energy.

    Quarterstaffs or wands are required for Arcane Lance, but nowhere in all the books that I can see does it define exactly what a wand is in game terms. Obviously I know what a wand is in general, but not in game terms. How much does it cost, can it be used in one hand, can it be wielded as a club, etc? Not sure if this has been addressed on this board before.

    Secondly, should an Arcane Warrior be able to use their sword of choice as a substitute for the wand/quarterstaff for purposes of Arcane Lance? This is outside of the context of the RPG strictly, but in DA: Origins the standard mage attack was usable for Mages without their wand/staff.

    Thanks!

    Tara

  • #2
    Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

    Originally posted by noblelegacy View Post
    Hello there,

    New forum member and relatively new to the system, though I own all 3 sets.

    Does anyone have any idea what a wand is, exactly, in the system?

    Arcane Lance: Mages learn to focus magical power through a
    staff or wand. If you are holding a quarterstaff or a wand, you
    can make a special ranged attack that damages foes with a
    lance of magical energy.

    Quarterstaffs or wands are required for Arcane Lance, but nowhere in all the books that I can see does it define exactly what a wand is in game terms. Obviously I know what a wand is in general, but not in game terms. How much does it cost, can it be used in one hand, can it be wielded as a club, etc? Not sure if this has been addressed on this board before.

    Secondly, should an Arcane Warrior be able to use their sword of choice as a substitute for the wand/quarterstaff for purposes of Arcane Lance? This is outside of the context of the RPG strictly, but in DA: Origins the standard mage attack was usable for Mages without their wand/staff.
    I get the feeling that, like my theory on why Demons and Darkspawn are mixed up at the end of the first DMG and the Big Bad is called an "ArchDEMON", this may have come from earlier builds of the videogame where Darkspawn and Demons were of similar ilk, and wands may have been necessary in-game at one point.

    Mages are specifically pointed out to not need staves at various points in the videogame series, which should likely be the highest source of canon where possible. So I'd say that Arcane Lance and, indeed, all spells, can be done without a focus such as that. Or with the sword.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

      Originally posted by noblelegacy View Post
      Secondly, should an Arcane Warrior be able to use their sword of choice as a substitute for the wand/quarterstaff for purposes of Arcane Lance? This is outside of the context of the RPG strictly, but in DA: Origins the standard mage attack was usable for Mages without their wand/staff.

      Thanks!

      Tara
      Actually, they couldn't; you always had to shift to staff to use it, and if you didn't have one equipped, you couldn't do so. You could cast spells, but not use the lance, which was effectively using the staff as a missile launcher for a mage.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

        That's what I remembered - the staff was necessary. Indeed, the attack itself was more connected to the staff itself (like any other ranged attack with more standard weapon). It's been a long time, but I'm quite sure my AW was restricted to spells with no weapon and if wielding a sword - had to rely on the blade rather than any ranged attack...

        As for the wand, it seems to have been... abandoned, largely (in the RPG) and it seems to be more of a Tevinter thing. However, seeing as there are no special requirements for quarterstaff to be used as arcane lance focus, I would assume that a wand is pretty much free - how much could a stick cost? Also a "wand" doesn't really sound like something that could be used effectively as weapon.

        Still, the question remains - the club seems to be a very inclusive category and both a quarterstaff and a short stick seem to be appropriate for arcane lance... so, would there be at least a possibility of a club so fashioned to serve as a very, very big wand?
        Though the question doesn't really end here - quarterstaffs can have metal-reinforced tips, so why not a blade? Looking at it logically it would seem that a spear should be viable here too... Or an arrow as wand-replacement in a pinch...
        Last edited by eliastion; 12-03-2014, 09:23 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

          Personally, and this is a house rule, I have a wand as 10 sp and a magic staff as 15 sp as the standards. I also allow quality and material to affect spells and arcane lance. Wands, in DA:O, were rare and typically magically inherent - iirc, the only one was the fire one in the mage's origin.

          But then, I also modified starting gold (no beginner equipment packs) and materials (no bonus talents/focuses).

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

            This may be inaccurate, but..

            dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Arcane_Warrior_Spellcasting

            This seems to indicate that the standard attack was usable in arcane warrior form.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

              Originally posted by noblelegacy View Post
              This seems to indicate that the standard attack was usable in arcane warrior form.
              It says that Arcane Bolt, which is a spell, can be cast. Not Arcane Lance.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

                Hm. Maybe they don't consider Arcane Lance a spell.

                Well, to summarize:

                In this RPG, it seems wise for an Arcane Warrior to eschew the quarterstaff and go for something like a wand (or club, if allowable), to allow them to cast and wield their preferred weapon simultaneously.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

                  Arcane lance (as is used in RPG) is not a spell in DA:O, it's staff's auto attack, just like an arrow from a bow or a basic sword-swing.

                  And as for Arcane Warrior, he could also just wield a sword and switch to staff when he wants to use arcane lance. Switching weapon is a minor action either way. Also, there seems to be nothing in DA mechanics that would disallow casting spells with pretty much any weapon in hand... Though I would require at least a single hand free (or a staff or some other focus-weapon, sword for arcane warrior could probably qualify and a dagger for blood mage would be a fair choice too).
                  Last edited by eliastion; 12-03-2014, 10:45 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

                    I was actually thinking of writing up some magical rings and other doo-dads (Knight Enchanter Spirit Blade hilt for example) which would provide some spellpower bonuses and the ability to function as a wand for purposes of casting Arcane Lance.

                    Closest we got in DA:O to Wand is the Rod of Fire in the Mage origin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

                      Originally posted by Horvagab View Post
                      I was actually thinking of writing up some magical rings and other doo-dads (Knight Enchanter Spirit Blade hilt for example) which would provide some spellpower bonuses and the ability to function as a wand for purposes of casting Arcane Lance.

                      Closest we got in DA:O to Wand is the Rod of Fire in the Mage origin
                      I did some similar stuff...

                      1. Kindling - a warped, burnt piece of wood. Gives +2 damage to lance and changes it to fire damage. Also casts fireball 1/day with no test.

                      2. Bone knife - a wand in the shape of a knife. Turns arcane lance damage to piercing and gives a bonus to Spirit magic Spellpower ( a higher level variant would increase Blood as well).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

                        On this subject, have they confirmed what is going to be in the Ultimate Edition that cannot be found in Sets 1, 2 and 3?

                        Things I'd like to see:

                        1) Errata (dealing with things such as the subject of this thread)
                        2) Expanded magic item list
                        3) Expanded monster manual equivalent

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

                          They haven't said anything of the sort. I imagine they'll leave it up to users.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

                            ...And I've suddenly noticed something. Arcane Warrior combat magic mode adds Magic instead of Str for damage, but apparently NOT for attack. This means the staff probably remains the preferred weapon for them, since they wouldn't be good at attacking with say a long sword.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Regarding Mages - what exactly IS a wand in game terms?

                              I'd still use a different weapon for the increased damage.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X