Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you handle RP and Exploration Stunts when levelling if you don't use them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you handle RP and Exploration Stunts when levelling if you don't use them?

In my campaign, I haven't been using Exploration or RP stunts, for the simple reason that they replace the roleplaying for the players the vast majority of the time, or at least suggest a kind of action that the player didn't or wouldn't do.

This gets complicated when a player gets an exploration or RP stunt as part of their character levelling.

For me, when a player gets to those levels, I discuss the bonus with them and just ask what kind of character they're aiming for, giving them a boost along those lines instead.

What about the rest of you? Do you use exploration/RP stunts? Am I missing out on anything by not using them?

Re: How do you handle RP and Exploration Stunts when levelling if you don't use them?

I use both of them, though I have made some modifications to them for my own purposes. Players love them, but it is important to note (as they do in Set 2) that if you include them you will want to limit how often they can roll on things so they don't generate stunts all the time, and you should let them know it is the GM call if a particular Stunt can be used on a given roll (since some would not make sense as you noted because those systems need to be broader by nature). One or the other (or even both methods) should keep things in check and balanced while opening more cool stuff for your players at times which will make them happy too. Also saves you modding what they get on certain levels as often.
    Dragon Age: Requiem

Comment

Re: How do you handle RP and Exploration Stunts when levelling if you don't use them?

I've used the stunts in the past and like you, had some problems. The decision I came to was: if you don't want stunts to muddy the issue, either don't roll or state that the roll cannot generate stunt points ("It's too trivial." "There only one or two stunts could be applicable." etc.), and that helped. It need some real forward-thinking on my part, but it did.

Something to keep in mind is players are there to role-play, and aren't likely to use stunt points to by-pass role-playing opportunities. Those that do? Well, you use a guideline you're comfortable with to encourage them.
      "...If you are the steel that cuts at innocence, we are the rust that will break you!" -Zackery (my 'main' character).

"Hello, I'm Handel, you bribed a member of my guild, I'm gonna kill you all in proportionate retaliation. Let's have fun, yeah?" - Handel (another guy I enjoy being)

"Don't worry about him, he's slow and knows it. Things go tits-up, run faster than the person next to you and you'll be fine." -Gertl (the single luckiest man in all of Bovaria)

Comment

I use RP/exploration stunts, but most of the time, they just don't apply. IMO, there aren't enough to be super useful, so I say when they cannot be used.

Comment

Guys, you seem to miss the point of the thread. It's not a question of whether those stunts should be used or not. It really depends on how you handle interactions/exploration - if you resolve whole conversation with a roll or two, following a declaration of what the PC wants to find out, the social stunts apply well; if you, however, prefer more roleplaying and roll at turning points to find out how good a bluff/how convincing the request wass - many stunts stop applying all that well...

But that's not the point here. The thread author doesn't use them - for whatever reason, it's his business, really. The question is - what to do with non-combat stunt bonuses the leveling provides... but that become useless without appropriate stunts.
          If I were to advise something, it would be sticking to the idea you already have, OzMills - discuss with your players some (minor!) bonus instead. Probably a good idea would be some very specific bonus to particular perception/cunning/communication/willpower focus? Say "+1 to Perception(seeing) rolls in bad light contitions" to make someone a bit less hindered by darkness? It could be a nice replacement for some exploration stunt improvement. There are, of course, countless other possibilities depending on particular stunt advantage replaced as well as on campaign, player preferences etc.

Comment

Originally posted by eliastion View Post
            But that's not the point here. The thread author doesn't use them - for whatever reason, it's his business, really. The question is - what to do with non-combat stunt bonuses the leveling provides... but that become useless without appropriate stunts.
            I disagree, as the only question in the OP was this:

Originally posted by OzMills View Post
            What about the rest of you? Do you use exploration/RP stunts? Am I missing out on anything by not using them?
            Granted, the thread title itself implies what you are getting at, so it seems more a two part question (and as such I don't think anyone in the thread so far has "missed the point" as you put it). So far those who have replied are folks who do use those Stunts, and so they have answered that portion of the dual question. I don't think we can be faulted for that, or for not offering up a solution for how to go forward without them (the other part of the dual question) since we don't take that route ourselves (though in the OP they mentioned they already have a solution for this, but that part of the question seemed to be a curious bit about if there were other approaches to take than what they already do).

And I am inclined to agree with the OP as well, that their method is probably the best approach to excluding that content from the game. Makes for happier players and allows the GM to not use something they don't want to be bothered with while not putting players at a disadvantage as they level by "missing out" on stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Eye View Post
              I disagree, as the only question in the OP was this:
              You're right, I concede None of the three first replies addressed the question in the very thread name, but you're right, they did adress other things the OP asked.

As for players missing out on something in leveling, that in itself probably wouldn't be so bad if every class did get comparable "ignored" benefits - and they don't, so some small compensation for fairness sake is a good idea.

Comment

Absolutely, and I think the OP's proposed solution is probably the best approach to that (working out some other small benefit fitting for the character - if you keep it fairly small then things shouldn't fall too far out of whack). Arguably, this solution makes it better for the player, since by the way the OP described it they are getting something more customized to their particular character in these instances since they are working it out together.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Eye View Post
                  Absolutely, and I think the OP's proposed solution is probably the best approach to that (working out some other small benefit fitting for the character - if you keep it fairly small then things shouldn't fall too far out of whack). Arguably, this solution makes it better for the player, since by the way the OP described it they are getting something more customized to their particular character in these instances since they are working it out together.
                  The only issues I've found so far are giving players redundant bonuses as they'll get them again later.

On retrying this approach, I'd try for giving players a bonus to some form of roleplaying skill, or a boost to a talent, or similar, rather than a combat bonus. That keeps it as a roleplaying boon to keep the theme there.

Comment

Working...
                  X