House Rule Supplements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Rule Supplements

So, I have seen a lot of threads pop up about these in the past so I figured I would share up some of my own. These have all been done with some formatting in mind to help them look consistent with content you see officially published. Some of the content has been inspired by content already in the games, so of it by content I have seen around here on the forums, and some of it by other things I have seen in passing that I thought could fit well in Dragon Age. Feel free to grab and use any bits and bobs that you like. I will likely be adding more of these as I finish them up since I have a few more things in mind as well. The reference to "Requiem" in the documents is because I am making these specifically for the campaign I am gearing up for with this system.

Ability Focus Tiers House Rule
    Games of Thedas House Rule (See note in following post)
    Herbalism House Rule
    Injuries and Healing House Rule (Updated: 11/20/2014)
    Potion-Making House Rule (Updated: 11/21/2014)
    Relationships and Romances House Rule
    Stunts House Rule
    Tactics Talent House Rule
    Random Stealing House Rule
    Overland Travel House Rule
    Ammo Recovery House Rule
    Random Weather House Rule
    Attack Results House Rule
    Last edited by Red Eye; 12-02-2014, 02:05 AM. Reason: Updates
    Dragon Age: Requiem

Re: House Rule Supplements

Small note on the Games of Thedas supplement: I would say that on Diamondback and Riddles and Runes, the attempting cheating tests could optionally be Dexterity (Legerdemain) as well as the already listed Communication (Deception). I was going to simply edit the document and add that in, but for some reason on that one the formatting has gone all wonky in the original document so it will take me a bit longer to patch that up in the PDF than I anticipated. I figure most GMs would have come to this on their own, but figured I might as well put it out there.

Working on a system to handle random loot distribution for random Pickpocket attempts for all the Rogue players out there that like to lift items any chance they can (and for the GMs tired of coming up with random loot for them to snag). It is not intended to replace the more targeted attempts at Pickpocket attempts (when the PC knows specifically what they are trying to lift), but for those instances of players going "I would like to pickpocket somebody in the market" on a random whim. I am also going to be whipping up a small system for characters catching diseases that can act as temporary malady that the character has to deal with at times (will be very basic and simple to keep in the spirit of these other systems I have made and with the core system itself).

I may whip together a few more things too, but those are the main items on my to do list for Dragon Age as I lead into my campaign.

Comment

I like how the injury rule mimic the video game. But (for my table at least), I think they work better in a video game. IMO, there are too many secondary stats derived from the primaries that it would be a mess of on-the-spot computations.

I've been toying with an injury system that divides the stats into two categories: body and mind. If it's body, there will be a -1 to -3 penalty for Dex, STR, and Con rolls. If it's mind, then -1 to -3 penalty to Com, CUN, Per, Wil rolls. I'm thinking about putting Mag with body, just to even things out. Furthermore, I'd use Bleeding as the benchmark for injuries instead of KOs.

Additionally, I'd use Regeneration as a means to heal injuries, but I haven't seen that spell since the playtest.

Comment

Well, I for one actually like the idea of Injuries only messing with tests based out of that stat as opposed to having the headache of recalculations of secondary statistics. I had not actually considered that aspect of things, and what you describe was more the intent anyways. I will modify the document and reupload it to make that more clear. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I would hate for someone to use this and not get what I meant resulting in a lot of extra work at the table.

I was kicking around the same idea with the Regeneration Spell actually, just had not included it (don't recall why exactly, probably just wasn't convinced I wanted a magical means to address injuries). In truth, even since getting that little supplement done I have still been kicking that idea around. One thing I wanted to address, and don't recall offhand, was if that Spell addressed Injuries in the CRPGs at all. Not to say that it couldn't in the RPG, since it is clear some things done in the CRPGs that defy lore are done solely to make the game more enjoyable playing in that medium. I thought there was some Spell in the CRPGs though that could clear out Injuries. Maybe it was the Healing Aura of the Spirit Healer? Either way, I recall one Spell helping with that and would love to amend said Spell in the RPG to do the same for anyone using this system.

All in all, thanks for the feedback - was the main reason I posted these (other than making them available if anyone else feels inclined to bring them to their own tables). These all just address areas that I know my players will want to get into, either in this campaign or one in the future (they are still finishing characters to be honest, so not entirely sure what all they may dig into this time around). The Herbalism and Potion-Making were a must for my Mage player, and I suspect the Random Pickpocket rules I am working on now will be used often by my Rogue player (who also mentioned he intended to do so gambling with this character, thus the Games of Thedas).

For now, back to finishing of the Pickpocket supplement that is drawing towards being complete. Then I will patch up the Injuries document, and then off to work on my Traveling Thedas supplement that will cover means of getting about and times it might take (I hate when RPGs that have lots of travel in them don't at least include some kind of framework for this).

Comment

Thanks for posting your docs. Lots of good stuff in there

One quick comment on your injuries system: if you're going for realism, then I would try to make it so that after a player sustains an injury, it would actually be more likely that the player reaggravates that particular injury, thereby making it worse, than to get a random new type of injury. In a competitive sport for example, if you get an injury and keep playing on it, you'll probably end up making it worse, maybe even a lot worse to the point where it's debilitating or might require serious medical attention. But it would be extremely unlikely that you'd sprain an ankle, get a concussion AND break a collar bone all in the same basketball game -- unless you've got some seriously bad luck! In my opinion it seems more realistic to give a player one injury that'll get worse and worse unless they take care of it, instead of giving them several minor injuries that don't have as much impact.

Comment

Finished the Random Stealing House Rule here and updated the OP with it. I think up next I am going to tackle a Overland Travel House Rule to provide a little details and context for characters trudging about. Sometime before that is done I should have the finished version of the Potion-Making House Rule posted to include some prices and descriptions. Still tossing around the idea of making a Mundane Disease House Rule as well, but I am still not fully committed to that one as it stands right now.

@Hen Wen - Not a problem, glad to post them, hope someone else can grab some use or inspiration out of them (as some of them were inspired by things around the forums as it is). As for the Injuries, that is certainly a way to go with it, and one I would say you are more than welcome to use at your table modifying the framework I presented (wouldn't be a very hard adaptation to make, really). The method I opted for was to give a broader potential range of penalties for the player if they do not manage their injuries (while at the same time not making it some kind of endless cycle). Of course there are a few ways you can approach Injuries, this is just what I ended up running with. I am considering making the penalty be a bit harsher, perhaps a -2 or -3 to the tests under the particular Ability (makes them remain a threat at high levels, while making them really deadly at lower ones).

EDIT: I updated the Potion-Making House Rule to include the prices. I still need to get the item descriptions in on them, but I figured value data was more pertinent to folks that might want to use it.
            Last edited by Red Eye; 11-21-2014, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Added an Overland Travel House Rule to the ongoing collection, which is likely a stopping point for me for the time being other than finishing up the Potion-Making document by adding in descriptions of the different potions to help keep it in line with the rest of the items presented in the game for equipment (until I get another random itch I need to scratch that is). Enjoy everyone that feels like snagging them.

Comment

Added on another House Rule, since I have learned I will have an archer in my troupe and they were curious about how the game handled ammo recovery. Since there seem to be no established rules on it I made my own House Rule for it that people are welcome to use. Guess I wasn't as done as I thought, still getting characters in and all.

Comment

So I was asked by my players to flesh out a couple more House Rules, specifically for Brewing, Crafting, Smithing, and Weather. I will be doing the Brewing, Crafting, and Smithing in the same style as Herbalism and Potion-Making (and thus in line with Poison-Making), though Crafting and Smithing may get modeled more off of Trap-Making as the results will likely need to be much more open ended (as a bonus, Brewing rules will come with Drunken rules to go with them). As for the Weather bit, it will be a small set of rules for GMs to randomly generate weather for an Encounter based on time of year. It will also provide some basic mechanical effects to some weather as well.

So, I keep thinking I am done, and they keep roping me back in. Will be working on these over the next week or so while also plotting out the Origin Stories for my players (each one will be getting a mini custom Origin set of Encounters to lead them all together and build in additional background). Expect to see those soon if you are interested in any of them.

Comment

I tossed in my House Rule for Random Weather generation. This one probably has a fair bit of interpretation room in it that GMs are encouraged to toy around with, but the general idea is straight forward enough. There is a strong chance that this one will get tweaked a bit more as I go along with it, since any time I have made a weather system for a game I end up fiddling around with it some as I go along until I get the proper balance. The primary table choices have been fairly carefully considered based on likelihood that a result should come up (which I actually included next to each result). Either way, it is another general framework on which to mess about.

EDIT: Bonus detail, the Overland Travel system and the Random Weather system were modeled off of the systems presented in D20. The Stunts and Tactics were modeled off of things I have seen about on the forums (I think the Tactics one came from the old forums). Just figured I would mention those ones specifically, since they are based on works from other fans here and a specific game system (though I am tempted to look at some of the details in Deadlands about animal overland travel details since they have a bit more on that).
                    Last edited by Red Eye; 11-26-2014, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Added an "Attack Results House Rule" that can be used to apply some flavor descriptors to combat. This was crafted based on the needs specified in the supported discussion, but I fiddled with it a little more to make it a fuller system that people might be able to use at their tables for some extra flair.

Comment

Working...
                      X