• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healing in DA: Inquisition

Apparently Heal spells are no more...

Re: Healing in DA: Inquisition

Originally posted by Scott McFarland View Post
    That's unfortunate. By itself, this wouldn't bother me too much--I never really used the Heal spells in DA:O (unless you count the resurrection spell that Spirit Healers eventually got)--but I see that there's also no automatic healing between battles in Inquisition. On the one hand, I like that aspect, as it seems a little more realistic; on the other hand, it could make the game quite a bit more difficult, since healing will be a little harder to come by.

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out; I'm still pretty excited about this game

Comment

From the POV of the RPG it kinda sucks. No healing magic in Thedas now?

Right then Mage players, time to remove that Heal spell...

Comment

Doesn't have to mean no healing magic on thedas, after all spirit healers are canon and it was a fair sized part of Wynne's story. Could just mean it's meant to be rarer, or even just something they decided didn't fit with the Pc or NPC companion characters and removed it entirely so people wouldn't grip about how unfair it is that enemy mages can have heal and you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott McFarland View Post
          This is partly because there's a lot of abilities that can provide "false health" either for individual characters or the group; its apparently less common to need them beyond what potions can supply. There's a post here that might be helpful:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/51533...m-the-outside/

Comment

I totally get the game *logic* for any prospective changes to the game system. Making combat tougher etc.

Unfortunately I'm in the school of realism - the Heal spell exists in DA:O and DA2, so if it's gone from DA:I I will require an in-game explanation for why Mages throughout Thedas have suddenly lost the ability to cast it.

As long as DA:I does that we're fine and dandy.

Comment

Still think my explanation explains it adequately. None of the mages you play as or encounter have access to or inclination to learn healing spells, just like how in DA2 Anders could learn entropy and Merill couldn't learn creation. No lore change required.

Comment

Eh, there were things that changed between DA: Origins and DA: Awakening, and between the two of those and DA2, some of which violated established canon. Its just a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdreamer View Post
                  Eh, there were things that changed between DA: Origins and DA: Awakening, and between the two of those and DA2, some of which violated established canon. Its just a thing.
                  Yeah - unless BioWare insist GR remove the Heal spell from the table top RPG; patch DA:O, DA:OA and DA2 to remove it from them; and produce new editions of every novel, comic and other official media that omits any reference to healing magic I think it's safe to say this is a feature of DA:I solely about play-ability in that computer game and NOT a definitive piece of lore about Thedas.

And even if it were, there is no reason the Thedas at any particular group's table has to 100% align with BioWare's, and many good reasons why they shouldn't.

cheers,

Nick

Comment

Well I hope they come up with some sort of in-game lore-friendly reason for the lack of magical healing in DA:I. I wouldn't let it affect my table-top game though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hen Wen View Post
                      Well I hope they come up with some sort of in-game lore-friendly reason for the lack of magical healing in DA:I. I wouldn't let it affect my table-top game though.
                      I'm just noting they didn't do so when they changed up things in Awakening or DA2.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdreamer View Post
                        I'm just noting they didn't do so when they changed up things in Awakening or DA2.
                        I've played Origins and Awakening, and I'm making my way through DA2. Out of curiosity, what changes are you talking about? Obviously, the skill system is different in DA2, but was there something else that I missed?

Comment

Other than some redesigned darkspawn, elves, and qunari I can't think of anything. Plus it's being told by an unreliable narrator as a framing device.

Comment

Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
                            Other than some redesigned darkspawn, elves, and qunari I can't think of anything. Plus it's being told by an unreliable narrator as a framing device.
                            Blaming an unreliable narrator for narrative flaws due to design changes is just as bad as not not reviewing Assassins Creed Unity badly because "Those bugs are canonically within the Animus".

But you have to give a little bit. These games evolve over time. If they change how it works, they change how it works. Healing magic doesn't disappear from the world, but might be handled differently in games or otherwise remain a non-player power.

Comment

Originally posted by OzMills View Post
                              Blaming an unreliable narrator for narrative flaws due to design changes is just as bad as not not reviewing Assassins Creed Unity badly because "Those bugs are canonically within the Animus".

But you have to give a little bit. These games evolve over time. If they change how it works, they change how it works. Healing magic doesn't disappear from the world, but might be handled differently in games or otherwise remain a non-player power.
                              I see your point, but I also think you are underestimating the use of the unreliable narrator. Everything in DA2 is as told by Varric, so if ogres have wings, it's because he's telling it that way (or remembering it that way). Whether it changes when DA:I comes out is a different story - whether or not the redesigns are kept and if there is a narrator. And I haven't looked at DA:I screenshots in any great detail.

Comment

Working...
                              X