No announcement yet.

Advancement math thing I'm not getting.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advancement math thing I'm not getting.

Perhaps I'm just missing something here, but there's something about advancement I'm not getting.

A character gets an advance in an attribute inside his favored group every even level, and outside every odd level. Attributes cost 1 advance each up to five, 2 advances each up to 8, and then 3 advances each up to 12.

But as far as I can tell, it shouldn't be possible to get that high. Assuming you max out an attribute early (I think that's a 5, tops), getting to 8 would take you until 14th level, and then the remaining three even levels would only let you get to 9.

What have I missed? Other than becoming a Grey Warden, is there another way to pick up advances along the way that's escaped me?

Re: Advancement math thing I'm not getting.

Qunari can start at 6, depending on what CharGen mode you use. Then, it depends on when you implement ability advancements - some say they don't kick in until 6th level.

Comment

Also, there's the thing that leveling isn't the only way you can get ability advancements. The only other official possibility (if I'm not mistaken) is by becoming a Gray Warden for an extra advancement - but it's possible that the GM would offer some additional possibility somewhere (say, some Really Evil Tome empowering the reader or some other kind of blood magic, or a gift from a demon, or some extra reward from a Fade adventure, or... well, something; anything).
      Basically, I think the table is created with a little bit of safe margin - including the costs up to 12 doesn't really cost anything and takes very little space, and in return you're on the safe side - even with some extra advancements from one source or another you can be pretty sure the table will suffice. I think it's kinda like speedometers in some cars that go way beyond what the machine should be really capable of (probably excluding a free-fall from some cliff scenario)
      Last edited by eliastion; 11-08-2014, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind that the sets encourage GM's to homebrew items, monsters, titles and even Talents, making it rather easy to award advancements out of the progression system. The rule of thumb for the game is that the sets outline a framework you're supposed you fill, I feel. So the perceived overkill could simply be a safety measure for GM's that exceed the constraints of the rules as written.
        "...If you are the steel that cuts at innocence, we are the rust that will break you!" -Zackery (my 'main' character).

"Hello, I'm Handel, you bribed a member of my guild, I'm gonna kill you all in proportionate retaliation. Let's have fun, yeah?" - Handel (another guy I enjoy being)

"Don't worry about him, he's slow and knows it. Things go tits-up, run faster than the person next to you and you'll be fine." -Gertl (the single luckiest man in all of Bovaria)

Comment

I can see that, it just seemed like it was assuming that this was possible out of the book (and honestly, even if it didn't kick in until 6th, it still wouldn't let you get to 12).

Comment

Working...
          X