unhorsing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unhorsing

This may have been in the rules and i just missed it, but how (if at all) do you knock someone from a horse.

would the skirmish or knock prone stunts do it?

Re: unhorsing

Debatable. Skirmish, IMO, would move the whole unit. Knock Prone could work, or it could knock the person over in the saddle.

Comment

We use the Knock Prone stunt in my game.

Comment

Originally posted by BytomMan View Post
        We use the Knock Prone stunt in my game.
        It would be knock prone. There's a Chevalier stunt that specifically prevents it, IIRC.

Comment

Page 62 in Set 1 Player's guide gives us the answer. Basically, you need to use Knock Prone stunt but the opponent still gets a Dexterity(Riding) roll with 10+your Strength TN. If he succeeds, you just wasted SP. If he fails, he hits the ground, prone, and also gets d6 penetrating damage. Also there's no guarantee that the mount won't run away - as it's specifically stated that it becomes an NPC.

An interesting fact is that there are no actual rules as to what happens if it's the HORSE that gets knocked prone. So this variant remains in the area of house rules.

Comment

Which makes taking out a rider easier by taking out their horse. The horse technically doesn't need a dex test to avoid being knocked prone as it's an automatic stunt normally...

I'd still make it a little difficult - have the rider make a dex test to avoid also being knocked prone. Maybe even have the horse make a strength test to avoid it.

Hellebore
            [url=https://www.dropbox.com/sh/556jwwh3xbxlhrl/AAAkLkSF39KdOVtmencs8cyDa?dl=0]Esoterica from Thedas Volumes 1-4[/url]

Comment

To unhorse somebody you just given them a glass of water or a throat lozenge...sorry...couldn't resist. Carry on!

I can be friendly when I desire to. Alas, desiring to be more intelligent does not make it so.
              --Morrigan, Dragon Age Origins

What Dragon Age Origins Character Are You?

Please feel free to catch up with me elsewhere, such as on my Blog, or at Twitter, YouTube or Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellebore View Post
                Which makes taking out a rider easier by taking out their horse. The horse technically doesn't need a dex test to avoid being knocked prone as it's an automatic stunt normally...

I'd still make it a little difficult - have the rider make a dex test to avoid also being knocked prone. Maybe even have the horse make a strength test to avoid it.

Hellebore
                There are many possibilities - from creating extra rules for tripping bigger foes (extreme example: you wouldn't let someone knock dragon prone with an automatic stunt unless that someone was dragon-sized ) through ruling that the rider can land on his feet with a Dex check, to even ruling that if a horse is knocked prone, the rider normally stays in saddle - a knocked prone horse doesn't necessarily mean lying on its side. This last version isn't too realistic, granted (if the horse falls, it's unlikely that it won't lose its rider) but has an advantage of not introducing new rules - you just keep rider-horse pair as a single unit that can stand up from being prone and continue fighting.
                Also, remember that even if they both automatically fall prone if the mount trips, the enemy still needs to first target the mount, then score SP and spend it the stunt. It's a couple extra attacks for an extra half of move action the opponent needs to make to stand up and mount (since you can move half speed and mount or move half speed and stand up, I would allow standing up and mounting, though this possibility is not stated explicitly in the rules) - it's safe to assume the mounts stands up on its own, spending its own move action while you're seperated...
                So, bottom line - unless you plan to kill the mount, you're better off aiming for the rider, even though dismounting him is more difficult than tripping the mount. And killing the mount while easier than getting the rider isn't necessarily all that easy either - the warriors relying on their steeds (like Chevaliers) may well have them clad in armor too. Even though, sadly, there are no rules for horse armor (I guess I would consider it more expensive but also less restrictive than humanoid counterparts - horse armor would be fashioned so that it lets legs move relatively freely; also, added weight isn't as big of an issue as for a humanoid warrior).

Comment

Working...
                X