Dragon Age Ultimate Edition Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Age Ultimate Edition Questions

Do you know if they are going to tweak the rules in the Ultimate Edition to address some of the issues (assuming you think they are of course) with the first 2 sets?

To clarify

The bard class from set 2 is underpowered
    Too many hit points and HPs regenerating too quickly
    With the 3d6 Bell Curve and the rate characters improve abilities, they become overpowered very quickly. Average Target Number is 11, and even at 1st level you can amass a maximum of +7, meaning you only have a 0.46% chance of failing at average tasks
    Tone down the bigger weapons (2 handed etc) as they are too powerful

Been looking to get back into Dragon Age and now might be the best time. I believe the ultimate book is out January?

Re: Dragon Age Ultimate Edition Questions

Doubtful - those would have been done by now.

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff View Post
      Doubtful - those would have been done by now.
      Ok thanks for that

Comment

Out of the ones you mentioned, I'd say there is a possibility of bard being tweaked a little (I'm not sure but I think it was acknowledged somewhere that there is a problem). The other things however seem to mostly be problems rooted quite deeply in the system. Lowering by 1 point threshold where you start paying more for advances could possibly occur (but I don't think it will), but it won't solve the problem of scaling difficulties (although what I see as a problem is on the opposite end of the spectrum - difficulties assigned so they are not automatic victories for experts tend to be completely unbeatable for your average joe character that has no deficit but also no super-special-training in particular area).
        Either way, while some changes to particular complained-about specializations and/or spells seem possible, this compiled edition is primarily more of "putting it all together" task rather than "revised edition". I wouldn't expect any significant system-wide changes.

Comment

My assumptions would be pretty close to Elastion's above; some of the balance issue are, as best I can tell, somewhat deliberate design choices rather than accidents (the Green Ronin folks strike me as too long in the hobby not to know what a 3D6 system does to expected results for example) and difficult to address without essentially reworking the system overall. That doesn't mean there might not be some twiddling in the margins (I know they've talked about a few things here and there) but I wouldn't expect any fundamental changes.

Comment

I don't recall anyone from GR ever saying the bard is terrible. If the bard wasn't updated in the official Set 3, I doubt it would be fixed for the compilation. Part of the problem is that the video game abilities don't translate well to PnP. Anyhoo, if anything were to be done is bet you would use something like minstrel from a GR setting.

Comment

Working...
            X