Minotaur From The Riddling Reaver - Creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minotaur From The Riddling Reaver - Creation

Here is the minotaur that features in Riddling Reaver, converted into AGE to use with my group. I figured I would share and let you make suggestions/playtest before I put this up live on Dragon Age Oracle.

Note, this Minotaur is of course my own creation and very different to the one you can find in Green Ronin’s bestiary PDFs. That said, there is room in this world for lots of variations of the “same” thing - after all, creatures vary throughout the species. This particular foe is very tough indeed, but is just that: A particular foe, specially for the Riddling Reaver encounter, where we find a Minotaur who can breathe poison gas and is emaciated now. I have taken it that he was once a great warrior champion of his kind, which only lets you imagine how he would be if not enslaved…
    Consider this against tier 3 parties only.

Let me know how you get on with it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Re: Minotaur From The Riddling Reaver - Creation

From a cursory glance I like it, and the poison breath. The one thing I noticed about the breath, though, is that AGE distinguishes degree of success based on the Dragon Die, and not the roll - also, if you happen to roll low it could be VERY punishing. What about something like a failing roll does (7- Dragon Die) d6 damage (or maybe a higher number).

I might also up his AR, too.

Comment

Regarding the AR, this particular guy is a slave, bare chested and run down from looking at the illustration in the book.

True enough that AGE does distinguish degree of success based on the dragon die, but you know what? It's a mechanic I've never really liked, I have to admit. It is so random after all. The same thing bugs me with advanced threshold tests! So, with tier 3 characters in mind who should have hp close to and above 100, I am getting a possible damage of maybe 33 or so, if they roll really badly in the fail. Then you have the meatheads with their treat all penetrating as piercing talent.

The idea in the book is that you must try to last 7 rounds against it in a fighting ring, with audience members cheering and betting and so on. If you live that long, you get the money. I think if you pass out (hit 0) in this situation, a party member can easily get you out and heal you up, seeing as the fight is then over. Then another party member can get in the ring to whittle him down some more...

Comment

And can I also say, thanks Shonuff, you are one of the few people who actually reply to these "for the community" posts I make.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardwulf View Post
          And can I also say, thanks Shonuff, you are one of the few people who actually reply to these "for the community" posts I make.
          Yeah, but I reply to about everything!

And as to the Dragon Die, I tend to agree, it sucks to roll 2 6s and have an average DD roll. While I would stille probably use the DD method - if nothing else but to force me to think that way - you might want to consider a damage cap. An off roll (triple 1s) could be 49 average damage, more if they have negative Con. Unlikely? Yeah. And as for the meatheads, I would think poison gas wouldn't be mitigated by Armor Training, or at least that's how I would rule it.

Comment

My group is a long way off from playing this Tier 3 baddie, but I did purchase Riddling Reaver when I first heard you mention its impending use. So I certainly appreciate the conversion as always. Bought Warlock on Firetop last week for the same reason. I'm gonna have to make a trip to that tip jar

Comment

Aww gosh appreciated.

Warlock of Firetop Mountain I am keeping mighty simple. I will put out a file with a list of all the encounter enemies in it, with suggestions for what you can use instead, along with a map I found that has the rooms to the dungeon marked up with numbers. This means you can use a solo book like a module book. Lovely!
              Things like the Iron Cyclops is easy. GR bestiary Beastmen has a cyclops, that you can just give extra armour to, etc.
              In a couple of places, I will need to create brand new foes just for the file. These will be the warlock himself, Zagor, who will turn out to be the newly resurrected son of Deimus Arcon, and of course the vampire. I am also doing a write up to explain how vampires can be in Thedas...yes, sounds difficult, but I think I pulled it off.

Comment

Leaving aside the pro's and con's of using the Dragon Die for magnitude of effect in AGE, subtracting the die roll from the TN seems very out of kilter with the AGE system.

How about something based on the Minotaur's CON, possibly affected by the characters CON (and maybe the dragon die as well)?

Cheers,

Nick

Comment

Good suggestion. I could put together a possible second build with that in mind and see how people like it. Yeah you could do an opposed Con test I guess, for example.

The thing with off kilter ideas is, often I quite like something to come along and really shake the foundations. After all, they are a party of 5 or more level 10 characters who have 63 sessions of experience. I like to keep them surprised you see, so am always seeking new mechanical ideas they haven't seen before.

Comment

I have my fingers crossed that this conversion attempt doesn't turn out to be a load of bull!

I can be friendly when I desire to. Alas, desiring to be more intelligent does not make it so.
                    --Morrigan, Dragon Age Origins

What Dragon Age Origins Character Are You?

Please feel free to catch up with me elsewhere, such as on my Blog, or at Twitter, YouTube or Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Vosoros View Post
                      I have my fingers crossed that this conversion attempt doesn't turn out to be a load of bull!

I...have nothing to follow that with. But let's not have too many distracting comments, or else I might see red...

Comment

I must say I like the idea of special charge attack (with potential backfire) as it seems quite "cinematic" (I can see the description of hero jumping out of the way and the minotaur stumbling... perhaps it would be good to add some "extra" movement in case of failed charge? But that's just a random thought).

As for counting failure/success of a roll - shonuff is right, that is quite nondragonagish. Although I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere "if failed by 5 or more" rule. Still, wouldn't it be better to make it more in line with how spells work? Maybe an opposed test to apply the poison (dexterity(poison breath) vs dexterity(acrobatics) maybe? Or dexterity(acrobatics) vs fixed target) and then constitution saving roll to reduce the effect, with three degrees of effects: relatively minor (on passed roll) serious (roll failed) and severe (roll failed by 5 or more). It would both take you out of relying on DD too much and still stay in line with how the game tends to work. Also, it would add an extra "dodge the cloud" possibility, actually giving those duelist rogues a chance to fight the thing. And we all know duelist rogues make the best gladiators since they can fight so flashily

Comment

Originally posted by eliastion View Post
                          I must say I like the idea of special charge attack (with potential backfire) as it seems quite "cinematic" (I can see the description of hero jumping out of the way and the minotaur stumbling... perhaps it would be good to add some "extra" movement in case of failed charge? But that's just a random thought).

As for counting failure/success of a roll - shonuff is right, that is quite nondragonagish. Although I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere "if failed by 5 or more" rule. Still, wouldn't it be better to make it more in line with how spells work? Maybe an opposed test to apply the poison (dexterity(poison breath) vs dexterity(acrobatics) maybe? Or dexterity(acrobatics) vs fixed target) and then constitution saving roll to reduce the effect, with three degrees of effects: relatively minor (on passed roll) serious (roll failed) and severe (roll failed by 5 or more). It would both take you out of relying on DD too much and still stay in line with how the game tends to work. Also, it would add an extra "dodge the cloud" possibility, actually giving those duelist rogues a chance to fight the thing. And we all know duelist rogues make the best gladiators since they can fight so flashily
                          Ah, now that is quite interesting indeed. I always imagine rogues do it from behind...so to speak...so yes would need better survivability. I will give that some thought. I also played with the idea of having the test be lower for rogues if they can pass a bluff.

Comment

Working...
                          X