Paralyze is getting on my nerves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paralyze is getting on my nerves

I'm running with a policy of every spell reducing in spellpower by 1 every round. This has the added benefit of meaning that my players won't automatically die to a 20-spellpower Winters Grasp too, even if it does require a small amount of bookkeeping for me.

Comment

If you want to have one large monster, why not just let it attack more than once per turn?

Comment

Ok, now look at the thread we're in - it pretty much explains why extra actions don't really solve all the problems. You can rule that lose-action disables just take one of them away (if someone has more) but there are some disables that really should take all your actions. And even some special resistance (making "paralyze" into a powerful slow rather than anything else) there are still some weakening spells, some that do a lot even when resisted. And they stack. If you can put them all on one monster...
        Also, you don't necessarily want a big monster with many actions as he would be able to move anywhere on battlefield and pound the squishy mage into the ground without much possibility of countering this, since he does it in one turn. You can give him multiple effective turns every turn - but then again, you could just add extra enemies.
        Also, a group battle generally gives more tactical opportunity - with single opponent you'll find your warriors pretty much pounding the monster each turn, choosing what stunts to use once in a while. With multiple opponents there is the question of who to attack and the GM can play tactically a bit more. Single opponent creates a risk of simple gang-up or relatively simple and repetetive tactic (especially if the party has some speed-reducing capabilities) that transforms would-be terrible menace into target on shooting range. Of course, it can be avoided, but it requires a lot of additional thought.
        I don't say that there is no place for big monsters - however, creating a challanging and fun encounter with a single opponent is really hard. Extra attacks are useful, sure, but they don't solve everything. And I do believe throwing in some mobs is almost always a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by eliastion View Post
          Ok, now look at the thread we're in - it pretty much explains why extra actions don't really solve all the problems. You can rule that lose-action disables just take one of them away (if someone has more) but there are some disables that really should take all your actions. And even some special resistance (making "paralyze" into a powerful slow rather than anything else) there are still some weakening spells, some that do a lot even when resisted. And they stack. If you can put them all on one monster...
          Also, you don't necessarily want a big monster with many actions as he would be able to move anywhere on battlefield and pound the squishy mage into the ground without much possibility of countering this, since he does it in one turn. You can give him multiple effective turns every turn - but then again, you could just add extra enemies.
          Also, a group battle generally gives more tactical opportunity - with single opponent you'll find your warriors pretty much pounding the monster each turn, choosing what stunts to use once in a while. With multiple opponents there is the question of who to attack and the GM can play tactically a bit more. Single opponent creates a risk of simple gang-up or relatively simple and repetetive tactic (especially if the party has some speed-reducing capabilities) that transforms would-be terrible menace into target on shooting range. Of course, it can be avoided, but it requires a lot of additional thought.
          I don't say that there is no place for big monsters - however, creating a challanging and fun encounter with a single opponent is really hard. Extra attacks are useful, sure, but they don't solve everything. And I do believe throwing in some mobs is almost always a good idea.
          Agreed. Heck, even the games tend to throw a high dragon's babies at you when you attack Mom.

Comment

Working...
          X