monster challenge level

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monster challenge level

is there any way to gauge how difficult a monster will be for characters of X level?

So far I am more or less using hit points, but i am wondering if there isn't a better way.

Re: monster challenge level

Part of the trouble with gauging it by levels is there is no guarantee that your PCs will have a given number of points invested in stats that are useful in combat. It can be all of them or next to none. You'd probably have to determine how proficient your PCs are at combat in general, how well they can resist any abilities the enemy has, and sort of eyeball it.

Comment

I see, well that makes sense i suppose. Thanks though.

Comment

This article attempts exactly what you want, and does it fairly well, assuming PCs give a modicum of shit about their combat stats.

http://www.koboldpress.com/k/article...p#.VCKQvvldU1I

Comment

I've found it to be easier the better I get to know the group, how they think and play. Using alot of eyeballing and math have been a great help to me personally. If I can run the numbers of the group damage vs monster damage, then I can adjust accordingly. Playing around with hp is a great start in getting to understand your group. Feel free to adjust armour, defence and what nots. Can they use the enviroment to their advantage in some way? (Goes for the smarter mobs aswell)

If you wish to add difficulty, throw in some crowd controling enemies. There are always ways to work around pure damage, but if you're stunned or slowed one round then the plans will quickly crumble.

Comment

Working...
          X