Romantic Fantasy References

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romantic Fantasy References

Are there any movies, TV shows, or anime that I could watch to get a feel for romantic fantasy? I have read the Blue Rose core book and I still can't get the feel for it. I have been keeping up with the Netflix series Dragon Prince. I kinda think this might be close but I am not sure.

Re: Romantic Fantasy References

They're not exactly romantic fantasy, but outside of books, I use...
    * Star Wars sans the sci-fi elements for faction inspiration, and the light/dark side are akin to arcana and Corruption. Also, who else thought of lightsabers when they read the Psychic Weapon arcanum?
    * Farscape sans the sci-fi elements for story ideas around black/wormholes and Shadowgates.
    * Ancient Magus' Bride and Spice and Wolf for scenery, plot, and romance.
    * Mouseguard (comic) for scenery and they are similar to the Sovereign's Finest (and the Mice and Mystics board game too).
    * The Doctor from Doctor Who.

Comment

In the old version of Blue Rose Core Rules for the True20 system they had a small blurb of recommended reading to get the feel of romantic fantasy. Pasting it here for your reference. Mod's if this isn't cool edit it out of my post. I'll ask for forgiveness instead of permission.

RECOMMENDED READING
      The best way to understand romantic fantasy is to read as many stories in the genre as you can. The following list includes some of the most representative romantic fantasy novels. These books should provide plenty of inspiration for your Blue Rose series.

KRISTEN BRITAIN
      Green Rider

DIANE DUANE
      The Door into Fire
      The Door into
      Shadow
      The Door into Sunset

MERCEDES LACKEY
      Arrows of the Queen
      Arrow’s Flight
      Arrow’s Fall
      Magic’s Pawn
      Magic’s Promise
      Magic’s Price
      Owlflight
      Owlsight
      Owlknight

ELIZABETH A. LYNN
      Watchtower
      The Dancers of Arun
      The Northern Girl

ROBIN MCKINLEY
      The Blue Sword
      The Hero and the
      Crown

TAMORA PIERCE
      Wild Magic
      Wolf-Speaker
      Emperor Mage
      The Realms of the Gods
      I read the first two books of the Kristen Britain Greed Rider series. I think that worked well to get a feel. Only reading the second book would do a quicker job of getting the feel as the setting of a kingdom is better explored with the main character. First book is more of a first person adventure of the main character.

It is not video, but it is a good reference list that did not make it into the AGE rule book for Blue Rose. Hope that helps. You can also very easily buy the Blue Rose fiction to for sale from Green Ronin for like $2
      https://roninarmy.com/.../7689-Blue-Rose-Fiction!
      [URL="http://herdingdice.tumblr.com/"]Herding Dice[/URL] - A tumblr where I put things about Adventure Game Engine design.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel Ark View Post
        They're not exactly romantic fantasy, but outside of books, I use...
        * Star Wars sans the sci-fi elements for faction inspiration, and the light/dark side are akin to arcana and Corruption. Also, who else thought of lightsabers when they read the Psychic Weapon arcanum?
        We sometimes outright call them lightsabers, and one PC's portrait is essentially her with a lightsaber, so yeah.

I'd add Princess Bride as a movie reference.
        Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle) Blue Rose AGE (Big Damn Heroes)
        HAPPY PRIDE MONTH!

Comment

Working...
        X