Keeping an Adept prisoner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping an Adept prisoner?

So, the book states that using Arcana, while most of the time accompanied by hand gestures and other rituals that help the adept, does not really require it and an adept ultimately casts arcana out of sheer force of will.

This begs the question... how can you impair an adepts powers in such a way that may keep them prisoner?

This comes from an adventure I ran for my group, one of the adversaries was a Fire Shaper. They tried to keep bloodshed to a minimum, so the party subdued and tied their adversaries. Problem is, the Fire Shaper could technically still attack them by setting things on fire with his mind. Same goes for his ropes, the building he was in... etc.

We resolved it by all agreeing that keeping tied and muffled was enough to reduce his danger enough till he could be turned over to the proper authorities, but the question kinda lingered.

How do we keep an adept like that (or with other Arcana) a prisoner?

Re: Keeping an Adept prisoner?

I think that the adept needs to see something to target it, so a blindfold might work. He could still set fire to the ropes, but setting something wrapped around you on fire is...unwise, at best.
    Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle) Blue Rose AGE (Big Damn Heroes)
    "That Queer Goth Chick." "You are going to have to be more specific"

Comment

The City of Aldis book mentions the use of shapers for public works like water/waste treatment. Those without that gift are given stones which grant them the associated arcana.

There's also a Pacifying Stone (BRAGE, pg 325) which essentially acts as if the user had the Calm arcanum albeit with some limitations.

Plus, the Ebban Mask (BRAGE, pg 371) grants several arcana.

So, I don't think it'd be out of place if there was a Warding Stone.

Comment

Originally posted by obsidianrazor View Post
        So, the book states that using Arcana, while most of the time accompanied by hand gestures and other rituals that help the adept, does not really require it and an adept ultimately casts arcana out of sheer force of will.

This begs the question... how can you impair an adepts powers in such a way that may keep them prisoner?

This comes from an adventure I ran for my group, one of the adversaries was a Fire Shaper. They tried to keep bloodshed to a minimum, so the party subdued and tied their adversaries. Problem is, the Fire Shaper could technically taxi orly still attack them by setting things on fire with his mind. Same goes for his ropes, the building he was in... etc.

We resolved it by all agreeing that keeping tied and muffled was enough to reduce his danger enough till he could be turned over to the proper authorities, but the question kinda lingered.

How do we keep an adept like that (or with other Arcana) a prisoner?
        Hello!
        This is my first time here and I just want to say that Iím very happy to be here and to share my opinion.

Comment

It's a little late, but I'm posting for everybody else's reference:

The old Blue Rose True20 book mentions that Adepts need a DC 20 Concentration test for being bound, grappled, or pinned. This is equivalent to TN 15 in the AGE system.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel Ark View Post
            It's a little late, but I'm posting for everybody else's reference:

The old Blue Rose True20 book mentions that Adepts need a DC 20 Concentration test for being bound, grappled, or pinned. This is equivalent to TN 15 in the AGE system.
            Strange. Grappled or Pinned make sense, but it is not that hard to focus when bound.
            Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle) Blue Rose AGE (Big Damn Heroes)
            "That Queer Goth Chick." "You are going to have to be more specific"

Comment

I suppose it takes more than just focus to channel arcana. Sort of like wandless and/or wordless magic in Harry Potter - doable but requires more training.

For example, the Blue Rose True20 book also mentions a Concentration test when casting during vigorous movement (e.g. rough waters, a galloping horse, and earthquakes) or weather-related events (e.g. blinding rain, sleet, and hail). The Concentration test is not nearly as high (DC 10/15 or TN 11/13 in the AGE system), but earthquakes are DC 20 / TN 15 which makes Earth Shaping - Earthquake and Weather Shaping a fair alternative to the Ward arcanum when you're dealing with an arcana-heavy group.

Comment

Working...
              X