Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Talent Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talent Confusion

Hiyas!

A clarification on Talents, if you please:

When a Talent "names" a Focus, does the PC gain the Focus (plus its' benefits) or just gets the Talent's mechanics when using that Focus?

Thanks!
    VVV
    VV

Re: Talent Confusion

Edit: Kot said it better. See his post.
    Last edited by Sentinel Ark; 7th July 2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

They would get the talentís benefits when making tests involving that Focus, but it does not require the PC to have then focus unless it says it does.
      If you enjoy the AGE system you might enjoy our podcast, The Adventure Game Engine Interest Series (The AGEIS)! Formerly known as the Wonders of Thedas, we talk about all iterations of the AGE system from Dragon Age to the Expanse! We do actual plays as well as discussion episodes where we take listener questions, feature fan creations, and share news about the AGE systems! Step through the portals to see the many worlds they hide!

You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter, listen to us on Soundcloud, Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, and other places you get podcasts! You can contact us through our social media, Soundcloud, or by emailing us at ageipodcast@gmail.com !

Comment

"They would get the talentís benefits when making tests involving that Focus, but it does not require the PC to have then focus unless it says it does."

And Talents like Intrigue too. I was just checking if I wasn't misunderstanding the rules and not letting the PCs gain the Foci.

Thanks!
        VVV
        VV

Comment

The answers have left me a bit confused.

If I take the Observation (Novice) Talent.

Novice: You notice things others do not. Choose one of the
          following Perception focuses: Empathy or Seeing. If you fail a
          Perception test with your chosen focus, you can re-roll it but
          you must keep the result of the second roll.
          So, for example, I do not have either the Empathy or Seeing focuses, can I
          (i) still take the Observation (Novice) Talent and select (say) the Seeing option.
          and
          (ii) If I can, then if I take the Ability test Perception (Seeing), do I get the option to re-roll if I fail the Ability test Perception (Seeing)? Remember, I don't have the Perception (Seeing) Focus.

I appreciate that I wouldn't automatically get the Perception (Seeing) Focus just by obtaining the Observation (Novice) Talent. I wouldn't get the +2 bonus when taking the Perception (Seeing) ability test, because I don't have the Focus, but I would still be able to re-roll a failed Perception (Seeing) ability test.

Is that correct? The wording on some of the replies above make me wonder if that is the perceived wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by xris View Post
            The answers have left me a bit confused.

If I take the Observation (Novice) Talent.

So, for example, I do not have either the Empathy or Seeing focuses, can I
            (i) still take the Observation (Novice) Talent and select (say) the Seeing option.
            and
            (ii) If I can, then if I take the Ability test Perception (Seeing), do I get the option to re-roll if I fail the Ability test Perception (Seeing)? Remember, I don't have the Perception (Seeing) Focus.

I appreciate that I wouldn't automatically get the Perception (Seeing) Focus just by obtaining the Observation (Novice) Talent. I wouldn't get the +2 bonus when taking the Perception (Seeing) ability test, because I don't have the Focus, but I would still be able to re-roll a failed Perception (Seeing) ability test.

Is that correct? The wording on some of the replies above make me wonder if that is the perceived wisdom.
            Yes to (i) and (ii).

Comment

Sentinel Ark is correct. It is essentially a bonus to that sort of task, so you can do it Focus or no.
              Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle) Blue Rose AGE (Big Damn Heroes)
              "That Queer Goth Chick." "You are going to have to be more specific"

Comment

Thanks for the replies, it confirmed what I thought was correct.
                Originally posted by Sentinel Ark View Post
                Edit: Kot said it better. See his post.
                Heh, shame you edited your post as I thought it was the one post that was clear to being with

The other posts used the term "Focus" when I think they should have used the term "skill".

For example.
                Q) When a Talent "names" a Focus, does the PC gain the Focus (plus its' benefits) or just gets the Talent's mechanics when using that skill?
                A) They would get the talentís benefits when making tests involving that skill, but it does not require the PC to have the focus unless it says it does.

For me, asking about "using that Focus" or "making tests involving that Focus" planted some doubt in my mind that you need the Focus to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by xris View Post
                  Heh, shame you edited your post as I thought it was the one post that was clear to being with
                  Oh? When I re-read the OP with respect to Kot's post, I felt that my answer wasn't quite right; that it still had room for misinterpretation or confusion. I think that is why Kot jumped in to clarify. I felt that his explanation was better.

Maybe when I remember how I answered originally, I'll undo the edit, but, ultimately, we have an understanding now. So, we can move to the next question that pops up - whatever that may be.

Comment

Working...
                  X