City of Aldis - New book?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: City of Aldis - New book?

Yeah I still need an electrical shaping spell. The standard ZOT! is not how things are done in Blue Rose, since direct targeting attacks seem to be the realm of sorcery, so I need an indirect ZOT! for it. But enough of that.

I love that you guys added battle dances as Talents. That is awesome. Indeed the problem, if anything, is how to pioritize all these awesome new talents. I also like the number of social talents, and what implications that has for play. I like that it encourages different styles of social characters. This only added (wonderfully) to what we had.

And that we have sex workers with their own Specialization not in any way a joke or sexist or disquieting just shows how interesting the game is.

I am still digging through the rest (As a GM, I wanted to process the mechanics first) but I am in the history and it is really cool. I am sure I will add more as I read more.

Good work.
    Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle) Blue Rose AGE (Big Damn Heroes)
    "That Queer Goth Chick." "You are going to have to be more specific"

Comment

Originally posted by Baroness Nerak View Post
      Yeah I still need an electrical shaping spell....

I love that you guys added battle dances as Talents. That is awesome. Indeed the problem, if anything, is how to pioritize all these awesome new talents. I also like the number of social talents, and what implications that has for play. I like that it encourages different styles of social characters...

I am still digging through the rest...
      The True20 Blue Rose books have Lightning Call which, if I recall, is a very powerful and very fatiguing offensive arcanum requiring favorable weather. I've toyed with it a little and left it as a possible reward for one of my players (something along the lines of a TN 17 test for 8d6 penetrating dmg +2d6/2OC up to max 12d6 - I'll have to find it in my notes somewhere). Perhaps you can reskin it as a knack for Weather Shaping?

-

I love that the new talents and specializations are very thematic; they're quite inspiring for drawing up new character concepts. I do like that the social talents certainly feel impactful.

In our level up session, I may propose the idea of allowing my players to switch talents whenever they would gain one (barring ranking up the talent they're already gaining and/or if it would mess up prerequisites). It would give them a chance to change out talents that haven't been used or not performing as they expected or pick up talents they didn't qualify for previously that they wanted. I'll see what they think of it. Narratively, I can see it as skills getting rusty from lack of use (e.g. who remembers calculus?).

-

So far, I've been reading parts of the book that would likely interest my players such as Rhydan's Rest (massages for Rhydan!). I think the first few pages where the book describes health and education may interest you.
      Last edited by Sentinel Ark; 07-20-2018, 02:31 AM.

Comment

In a setting without electrical power, a specialized Call Lightning knack (maybe on targets with metal weapons or armor? so you cannot just ZOT! someone but like Fire or Cold shaping damage indirectly.) may be enough. Only other immediate ideas would be light or stunning, and there are two other Shaping spells for light.

My PCs went up last session. I am going to give the option to swap Knacks they just got (if they just got one) for a new one if they want. Otherwise just wait 2-3 levels.

Comment

Oh! The True20 Core book has a power called Energy Shaping but it's designed for a setting with more technology. Perhaps it can be remade to affect arcane energy or something. Or that only one person has "discovered" the arcana - much like if guns were to be introduced. Give it a high risk high reward thing.

There's also a couple of powers called "Apport" and "Teleport" which can be electric-based?

I'll PM you with the details of the ability later.
          Last edited by Sentinel Ark; 07-20-2018, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Love it.

Wish there were a few more specializations. Only five and they go up to letter I. Almost feels like some were missed in the layout.

A "Grifter" is a confidence man or a crooked gambler, but the Grifter specialization seems more appropriate to a more honest, Brett Maverick sort.

Comment

Looks good. I'm still hoping that Green Ronin will revisit the True20 Blue Rose Companion book that provided some exciting new arcana options, particularly for Seers.

Comment

I'm loving the new book! It looks gorgeous and gives me ideas!
                If you enjoy the AGE system you might enjoy our podcast, The Adventure Game Engine Interest Series (The AGEIS)! Formerly known as the Wonders of Thedas, we talk about all iterations of the AGE system from Dragon Age to the Expanse! We do actual plays as well as discussion episodes where we take listener questions, feature fan creations, and share news about the AGE systems! Step through the portals to see the many worlds they hide!

You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter, listen to us on Soundcloud, Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, and other places you get podcasts! You can contact us through our social media, Soundcloud, or by emailing us at ageipodcast@gmail.com !

Comment

Got the pdf and Iím really loving it all! I love the city details, the details on the guilds, the details of crime and justice and healthcare and schooling, society details, the new Talents, the Rhy-rat, the NPCs, and so on. Lots of good stuff here! Beautiful book as well!

Iím wanting to get the hardcover version once itís available (alongside the Six of Swords book).
                  Last edited by LatinaBunny; 08-25-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Yeah I can't wait for the hardcover to be out, honestly. For one thing that is when most of my group will buy their own copy.

I need to get a physical Six of Swords.

Comment

Got the pdf before the pre-release. It's stunning. Although I would have liked more interior images depicting in more detail the city, the story seeds are massive and you got a very detail descriptions of almost every single important place in the city. It made me remember what Sigil the City of Doors used to be for Planescape: a place for meeting people, to know colorful places and to explore. What I liked the most from the Aldis sourcebook was the encounters section. It is an advancement from D&D without any doubt: make the overlooked and almost meaningless be significant and important, from a symbolic (the Royal Road/Tarot) perspective.
                      [COLOR="#8B4513"][I][B]Pacho[/B][/I][/COLOR]
                      [COLOR="#2F4F4F"]Book lover, Music cultist, Professional geek[/COLOR].

Comment

Originally posted by Baroness Nerak View Post
                        Yeah I can't wait for the hardcover to be out, honestly. For one thing that is when most of my group will buy their own copy.

I need to get a physical Six of Swords.
                        Six of Swords is one of the best adventure modules I've read in recent years. It deserved to win the ENnie for Best Adventure.
                        [COLOR="#8B4513"][I][B]Pacho[/B][/I][/COLOR]
                        [COLOR="#2F4F4F"]Book lover, Music cultist, Professional geek[/COLOR].

Comment

Working...
                        X