Six of Swords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six of Swords

Today I got the Six of Swords adventure collection.

Contrary to the entry in the Green Ronin Shop, the book I received is 136 pages long, not 128. Additionally, it is a beautiful, beautiful hardcover, not a softback. The price is the same, though.

So, I am slightly confused and very pleased at the same time.
    Last edited by rulandor; 02-28-2018, 05:58 AM.

Re: Six of Swords

And already the first question: where in Aldis is the first adventure located, The Mistress of Gloamhale Manor? I can't find the plains of Zea and Husqan Valley on the map.

Comment

I tried scoping around the adventure for any hints on where the Lakesheart and Husqan Valley are located, but to no avail. I also search the BR True 20 books and didn't find anything regarding those locations either.

I did find in the BRAGE book that Aldis is full of valleys, so I guess the adventure can just be imported anywhere in Aldis? Looking at the map, I would probably put it south of Aldis (where that area of isolated light green is) or WSW of Kella's Ford.

Comment

Hiyas!

Yep, that location seems made-up just for the adventure, which is quite cool, BTW - kudos to the author!

VVV
        VV

Comment

I've been studying the Aldea map and Blue Rose books as well, searching for the right setting for the Plains of Zea, Husqan Valley, and the town of Lakesheart.

Based on the description in World of Aldea of the Central Valleys of Aldis as warm and fertile, I take that to be the key to the light green territories on the map, which rules out both the isolated light green region south of Aldis and that southwest of Kella's Ford.

The opening paragraphs of the adventure refer to its location as "plains," not "particularly welcoming," and "barrens." I was distracted for some time by the similarity in names between "Plains of Zea" and "Plains of Rezea," but if we chalk up the similarity in names to etymology, plains tells us we're looking on the map for some location with the same kind of pale straw color as the Plains of Rezea.

Based on World of Aldea's description of the Ice-Binder Mountains as nigh impenetrable, we can rule out the various regions north of the mountains. The thin margin around the southwest peninsula of Aldis are probably not plains, based on World of Aldea's description of the coast as harsh, rugged, and rocky, rather than anything like plains. Similarly, I'm inclined to read the thin northwest rim of Basketh Bay the same way.

That leaves the stretch of pale straw landscape between Basketh Bay and Lysanna's Crossing, west of the Veran Marshes and south of the Ata-San Villages. According to the description of the Varan Marshes, the similarly colored lands to the east of the marshes are referred to as "Jarzon's northwestern badlands."

Could these be a kind of desolate plains, in which someone might seize upon radical solutions (such as draining a lake) to try to create some fertile land?

The player text in part 1 scene 1 refers to "rocky, uneven landscape" that "lacks majesty," "boulder-strewn hills" covered in rocky protrusions like "the chipped and rotting teeth of a great beast," and "overwhelming brown: brown rocks, brown dirt, brown weeds." Looking closely at the map of the Veran Marshes on page 35 of World of Aldea, the land west of Lysanna's Crossing shows a network of high ridges and depressions between them, where one might expect to find a lake surrounded by rugged higher ground, and the description of the failure of the land around Veran-Tath that created the marshes might be expected to create around the margins of the swamp the kind of broken land described here.

The player text in scene 2 says that even before the lake was drained, swamp was "always present around the water's margins." It is not clear whether there was swamp here before the lake was formed, since information about that time is only available through Fen legends, but the description of the manor grounds as a "barren plantation" is at least compatible with the idea of a Louisiana-style plantation setting, with bayous and swamps not too far away.

All of this is at least compatible with making the zone I'm proposing be called the "Plains of Zea," with the Husqan Valley, drained Lake Husqan, and the town of Lakesheart perhaps west-southwest of Lysanna's Crossing, inland a bit from the Veran Marshes deltas, so as to not be on their very edge, maybe one valley back from them, say in the center of the long valley just south of the "C" in the word "Crossing" on the Blue Rose Map.

At least when I run this adventure two nights from now, I'll be calling that the Husqan Valley. Here's my map for the larger region around the adventure, with edits applied to the Blue Rose Map.

Comment

Originally posted by rulandor View Post
            where in Aldis is the first adventure located, The Mistress of Gloamhale Manor?
            Our GM set it near the Pavin Weald, as a kind of lead in to the next adventure. So we were kind of on the way to the place where the second adventure starts when we got swept up into Gloamhale. Also! If you want to check out how ours went down, I have a thread here
            ᛬ᚼᛁᚾᛋᛁᚴᛁᚾ᛬ᛁᛘ᛬ᛁᚴ᛬

Comment

Originally posted by Kythkyn View Post
              Our GM set it near the Pavin Weald, as a kind of lead in to the next adventure. So we were kind of on the way to the place where the second adventure starts when we got swept up into Gloamhale. Also! If you want to check out how ours went down, I have a thread here
              Thanks for sharing that link. As I run my players through the adventure, I'm enjoying comparing their reactions and choices to your party's. It's helping me run the adventure. I may follow your example and post our sessions. If so, I'll share a link like you did.

Comment

Working...
              X