Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Shield bonus in combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shield bonus in combat

I'm a bit confused.
    First off - I get that is you do NOT have Weapon & Shield Style, then you can only ever get +1 Def from any Shield.

But if I do... there are 2 factors, which don't seem to talk to each other:

1) p.54 - there are 3 types of Shield - Light(+1), Medium (+2) and Heavy(+3). Roughly what I'd expect from other games. There seems to be no other difference between items (no cost, no weight/bulk/encumbrance).
    and "If you do not have the Weapon & Sheidl Style then the maximum Defense bonus you recieve from an shield is +1. In other words, you must have the talent to get any benefit from using a Medium or Heavy Shield".
    OK, that's fair!

2) pp.77-78 Weapon & Shield Style:
    * Novice gets a +2 Defense bonus when using a shield, instead of the usual untrained maximum of +1.
    * Journeyman ...
    * Master The shield Defense bonus increases to +3.

Sounds straightforward, but ... says nothing about actual shields (L/M/H), just "a shield".

"Shield" p.54 says the untrained bonus is +1, and (inverted) that the Talent lets you get benefit from Medium and Heavy Shields.
    W&SS states what the bonus is per Rank, but has nothing to do with the type of shield. It gives the bonus when using a shield,

So one interpretation of WS&S is:

"you get the equipment bonus and a talent bonus"
    Untrained, any shield +1+0
    W&SS Novice: Light +1+2, Medium +2+2, Heavy +3+2
    Master Light+1+3, Medium +2+3, Heavy +3+3

I note that on 3d6, +6 Def is a lot!

Another interpretation, is that Light/Medium/Heavy is irrelevant, and you get
    Untrained +1
    Novice +2
    Master +3

Another interpretation, which is pure guess work, and not as written, is
    "you get the equipment bonus capped by your Talent"
    Untrained +1
    Novice Light +1, Medium +2, Heavy +2 (capped)
    Master Light +1, Medium +2, Heavy +3 (don't use little itty-bitty boards, use a REAL shield!)

It has always felt pretty clear to me that the interpretation is the latter.

Players untrained in the Weapon & Shield Style can only get a maximum of +1 Defense from any shield.

At Novice Rank, that maximum bonus increases to +2 (enabling the use of Medium Shields). "...You get a +2 Defense bonus when using a shield, instead of the usual untrained maximum of +1." The second half of the sentence clarifies the type of Defense bonus from shields - the untrained maximum.

At Master Rank, the maximum bonus increases to +3 (enabling the use of Heavy Shields). "...The shield Defense bonus increases to +3." The "the" refers back to the Novice rank or the untrained maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel Ark View Post
      It has always felt pretty clear to me that the interpretation is the latter.

Players untrained in the Weapon & Shield Style can only get a maximum of +1 Defense from any shield.

At Novice Rank, that maximum bonus increases to +2 (enabling the use of Medium Shields). "...You get a +2 Defense bonus when using a shield, instead of the usual untrained maximum of +1." The second half of the sentence clarifies the type of Defense bonus from shields - the untrained maximum.

At Master Rank, the maximum bonus increases to +3 (enabling the use of Heavy Shields). "...The shield Defense bonus increases to +3." The "the" refers back to the Novice rank or the untrained maximum.
      err - quite - you missed out:

what happens if a Trained user uses a Light Shield? Or a master uses a Medium Shield ... it doesn't actually say.
      It might assume... but it says "You get a +2 Defense bonus when using a shield". "A" normally means "any" in this kind on context - the rule doesn't say "when using a Medium or Heavy Shield".
      (I'm coming from some years running Pathfinder where one expects the rules to be more specific...)
      Last edited by Caribet; 5th November 2019, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caribet View Post

err - quite - you missed out:

what happens if a Trained user uses a Light Shield? Or a master uses a Medium Shield ... it doesn't actually say.
        It might assume... but it says "You get a +2 Defense bonus when using a shield". "A" normally means "any" in this kind on context - the rule doesn't say "when using a Medium or Heavy Shield".
        (I'm coming from some years running Pathfinder where one expects the rules to be more specific...)
        If a Novice or Master in that style is using a Light Shield, then they gain a +1 Defense bonus. If a Master in the same style is using a Medium Shield, then they gain a +2 Defense bonus.

I understand your point, but you're looking at the trees and missing the forest. Read the entire sentence. Specifically the second half:

"...You get a +2 Defense bonus when using a shield, instead of the usual untrained maximum of +1." The second half of the sentence clarifies the type of Defense bonus from shields - the untrained maximum.

There are 3 types of shields. The Novice/Master rank of Weapon & Shield Style does not make the Light Shield any stronger. It only allows the player to use Medium and Heavy shields to their full potential.

EDIT: Added sources, and putting them together.

Shields (BRAGE, p54) states: "...you need proper training to get the most out of a shield. If you do not have the Weapon and Shield Style talent, the maximum Defense bonus you receive from a shield is +1. In other words, you must have the talent to get any benefit from using a Medium or Heavy Shield.

Weapon and Shield Style (BRAGE, pg 77-8) states: "Novice: ....You get a +2 Defense bonus when using a shield, instead of the usual untrained maximum of +1... Master: ...The shield Defense bonus increases to +3."
        Last edited by Sentinel Ark; 5th November 2019, 04:23 AM. Reason: Added sources.

Comment

OK - that's the sensible interpretation. I would still maintain that the literal wording does not say that - statements about the untrained max of 1 are not relevant. Having a rule that states the bonus from "a shield" is "+2" is confusing. It could say "you get..." or "the maximum bonus", or any such, so that it is completely clear that a novice gets +1/+2/+2 and a master gets +1/+2/+3

Comment

Originally posted by Caribet View Post
            OK - that's the sensible interpretation. I would still maintain that the literal wording does not say that - statements about the untrained max of 1 are not relevant. Having a rule that states the bonus from "a shield" is "+2" is confusing. It could say "you get..." or "the maximum bonus", or any such, so that it is completely clear that a novice gets +1/+2/+2 and a master gets +1/+2/+3
            I can see how the wording could be misleading, and I agree with you that the wording could be made more clear.

Comment

Working...
            X