Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychic Contact Blues

Hello fellow Roseys:

I'm having such a hard time figuring out how in Gravicarius does the Psychic Contact Arcanum works! Can you please lend me a hand/paw?

Is Psychic Contact maintained (ie., can one maintain it or is it just a 1 round power?)? I see no mention of this anywhere.

What happens immediately after an unwilling target is made aware of the Psychic intrusion? Can they roll an opposed Willpower/Psychic Shield test (whichever is available)?

Thanks!
    VI
    TRI
    OL

We have been playing it where contact is maintained unless broken by something, like sleep, being knocked out etc, though typically we renew it between scenes unless it is just among the group.

That's how we are playing it, yes.
    Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle) Blue Rose AGE (Big Damn Heroes)
    "That Queer Goth Chick." "You are going to have to be more specific"

Comment

Psychic Contact can be mantained with a free action. Generally, if an arcanum mentions that it requires...

Maintenance, then it is a free action every turn;
      Concentration to maintain, then it is a minor action every turn; or
      Total concentration to maintain, then it is a major action every turn.

Multiple arcana can even be mantained simultaneously, even multiple instances of Psychic Contact. If I recall correctly, the True20 version mentioned somewhere about maintaining arcana for longer periods of time - requiring an increasing Concentration test after a number of minutes/hours... but don't hold me to that. The AGE version doesn't mention that.

--

Psychic Shield is automatically used against Psychic Contact even if the subject is unaware/unwilling. Though, the subject may willingly lower their shield momentarily.

If a subject is unwilling to establish Psychic Contact with the adept, then they can make a Willpower test to attempt to resist contact.

If I recall correctly (the book is not with me), whether or not the subject is aware of the Psychic Contact attempt has no bearing on unwillingness. (EDIT: I'd like to think of it as turning on Do Not Disturb on your phone to send all calls to voicemail.)

--

Generally, I assume party members are within mental contact with each other unless specifically stated otherwise.

--

I also wrote the steps for how Psychic Contact, Psychic Shield, Second Sight, and a Psychic arcanum requiring mental contact interact with each other here: https://roninarmy.com/forum/dragon-a...rcana-question

--

Any other questions, let me know! ^^
      Last edited by Sentinel Ark; 5th November 2019, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Branching slightly into a related question - if the party Rhy-cat tries to make Psychic Contact with me (assuming a major distraction lost contact between us), from a distance, so I can't see, or hear them, and I am also facing hostiles who wish to make Psychic Contact with me so they can attack me...

How do I know it's the friendly Cat, and not the enemy making contact? I want to welcome one and resist the other!

Comment

Originally posted by Caribet View Post
          Branching slightly into a related question - if the party Rhy-cat tries to make Psychic Contact with me (assuming a major distraction lost contact between us), from a distance, so I can't see, or hear them, and I am also facing hostiles who wish to make Psychic Contact with me so they can attack me...

How do I know it's the friendly Cat, and not the enemy making contact? I want to welcome one and resist the other!
          If you have the Second Sight arcanum, then you can make a test to discern friend from foe.

Narratively, you can know by context but that depends heavily on the situation (e.g. your character believes they're out of line of sight of anyone and your character is knowledgable with familiarity).

In my games, it's always a risk. If someone has a hand in their pocket - do you assume it is a knife or a phone? Will they shank you or call 911?

If you're rhy-bonded to each other, it is automatically established as soon as possible. No attempt required because you're so familiar with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel Ark View Post
            Psychic Contact can be mantained with a free action.
            Hiyas!

Thanks for answering! Where in the RAW is it stated?

Comment

Psychic Contact can be mantained with a free action. Generally, if an arcanum mentions that it requires...

Maintenance, then it is a free action every turn;
              Concentration to maintain, then it is a minor action every turn; or
              Total concentration to maintain, then it is a major action every turn.

Any other questions, let me know! ^^
              and there's the nub.
              A search of the PDF of the Blue Rose RPG shows "Variable actions" p19 does tell us that Concentrate may be "a major action, minor action, or free action depending on the arcanum used", but no Arcanum mentions "Maintenance" or concentrate as a free action.
              The word maintain is used in a number of Arcana, but only ever in sentences with concentrate/ion, or total concentration as well.

And, the Psychic Contact Arcana is one of those which does not include any variant of of either maintain or concentrate. That could be taken to mean "instantaneous" or "one round", even though it makes more desirable story for it to be link-up-and-chat.
              Instead, reading the Arcana suggests quite a few have the implied ability to continue: Fire Shaping (Light) talks about moving it with a minor action

So, if Arcana can be implied as maintained, and the base maintain is minor action, then all Rhydan are taxed a minor action to talk.

(Some Arcana seem to have an implicitly extended duration without concentration or maintenance - e.g. Body Control, Body Awareness - continues while asleep.)

My conclusion: the book would be better for players of adepts if each arcanum/use of same spelt out the action needed to maintain it, if possible, or None if not possible.
              A heading "Maintain: None/Free/Minor/Major" would do.

Comment

If you have the Second Sight arcanum, then you can make a test to discern friend from foe.

Narratively, you can know by context but that depends heavily on the situation (e.g. your character believes they're out of line of sight of anyone and your character is knowledgable with familiarity).

In my games, it's always a risk. If someone has a hand in their pocket - do you assume it is a knife or a phone? Will they shank you or call 911?

If you're rhy-bonded to each other, it is automatically established as soon as possible. No attempt required because you're so familiar with each other.
                My question was not so much the Rhy pairs, but adept to adept, and adept to non-adept. Physchic contact is very useful...

However, I missed a bit: "If you do not want the subject to know you are initiating psychic contact, you can make a separate opposed test against the subject’s Perception (Psychic) or Second Sight test."
                So... if you do want them to know, you don't try to avoid them knowing. Presumably then they get something like caller-identification - <your Rhy-friend Felix is calling you, will you accept the call?"> whereas your Sorcerous enemy will try to mask their contact and identity...

Comment

Originally posted by VITRIOL View Post

Hiyas!

Thanks for answering! Where in the RAW is it stated?
                  In the few minutes I had to review the Blue Rose books (AGE and True20), I actually didn't find reference to Psychic Contact being a free action to maintain in the AGE book, but the True20 version mentions Psychic Contact (known as Mind Touch there) requiring concentration to maintain.

Sidenote: I like to reference the True20 version on occasion because it answers questions that may be unanswered in the AGE version. For example, what does "helpless" mean in the Plant Shaping arcanum? Or how does being bound affect arcana use?

So, sorry about the confusion. In the vast majority of games I've run, they have been an all (or nearly all) rhydan adventures. In the spirit of fun, I must've ruled that Psychic Contact is free to to maintain and then never bothered to fact-check it.

When I have more time, I'll scrutinize the books for maintenance of arcana being a free action. It may be in the True20 version.

Originally posted by Caribet View Post

My question was not so much the Rhy pairs, but adept to adept, and adept to non-adept. Physchic contact is very useful...

However, I missed a bit: "If you do not want the subject to know you are initiating psychic contact, you can make a separate opposed test against the subject’s Perception (Psychic) or Second Sight test."
                  So... if you do want them to know, you don't try to avoid them knowing. Presumably then they get something like caller-identification - <your Rhy-friend Felix is calling you, will you accept the call?"> whereas your Sorcerous enemy will try to mask their contact and identity...
                  I added the rhy-bond there as related but not important information. /shrug

That's roughly how I play it. I like to think of Psychic Contact as a text messaging service, Psychic Shield as a firewall, and Second Sight as caller ID (and Mind Reading as wire-tapping... or was it Mind Probe? I forgot). This analogy makes it /much/ easier for players new to Blue Rose to grasp what they are and how they're used with respect to one another, especially if they're choosing a rhydan.

To add, when using Second Sight to ID adepts, I don't use names unless the subject knows the adept well. Instead, I describe colors, shapes, and sensations based on the adept and their intention for trying to establish mental contact.

Comment

I tend to say a presence "feels like" X, or alternately is someone they don't know.
                    Running: Blue Rose AGE (Cat's Cradle) Blue Rose AGE (Big Damn Heroes)
                    "That Queer Goth Chick." "You are going to have to be more specific"

Comment

To add, when using Second Sight to ID adepts, I don't use names unless the subject knows the adept well. Instead, I describe colors, shapes, and sensations based on the adept and their intention for trying to establish mental contact.
                      I bet familiarity would help in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by VITRIOL View Post

I bet familiarity would help in that regard.
                        It does.

Comment

So... is there an answer? Maybe from one of the scholars from the venerable and sagely Green Ronin College?

Comment

Working...
                          X