Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ALGERNON Files Lives ... and it Kickstarts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ALGERNON Files Lives ... and it Kickstarts!

[Shameless Plug Time]

Blackwyrm is publishing a 3rd edition version of The ALGERNON Files written by that same guy who wrote the other ones for the previous editions. That would be me, by the way.

Yes, I look and sound horrible in the video...but Melissa (our cover artist) makes up for my laconic self with her undiluted perk.

So, cross your fingers and hope both volumes get funded so that we can get this series on the road. Two volumes down, 28 to go. And the teen villains supplement. And the space supplement. And, well, you get the idea.

[/Shameless Plug Time]

The LINK!!! ->https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=home_location

Re: The ALGERNON Files Lives ... and it Kickstarts!

Whoooo! Always loved the Algernon Files, and we've made a lot of use of the heroes and villains in the Crinoverse games.
    Impeach the peach!

Completed Games:
    Crinoverse - Avengers
    Crinoverse - Young Avengers
    Crinoverse - Bay City Sentinels
    Crinoverse - Time After Time
    Crinoverse - San Antonio Avengers
    Crinoverse - Honnounji Academy
    Extreme Unction

Comment

And you can get a couple of freebies just for visiting the Kickstarter - you can pick up a couple of free PDF character stats (Apparition & Blackbone) ... What's also nice is that as well as the first two booklets you can also buy the Hero Lab files as well if you want. Wish more publishers did that.

Comment

This is good news! I love the Algernon Files and the characters in it feature heavily in the Mightyverse setting, I really hope you get the funding you need.

Comment

I've been watching all of this for a while, and waiting for the Kickstarter to go live. I'm in at the $50 level, and I'm pimping the hell out of the Kickstarter page on a couple of different websites I frequent.

Comment

Good luck with this. I'll spread the word. If for some reason you don't make your goal is there any thought to simply selling the PDFs? It looks like quality stuff and I'd hate to not have access and your work go unrewarded because people missed the kickstarter.

Comment

I have contributed. Good luck with this.

Comment

I'm very excited to see The Algernon Files revived. I was wondering what happens after this kickstarter, which gives (with the stretch goal, it looks like) Abraxas through Blackheart. Will there be additional kickstarters for future volumes? Or is this a test of the waters to see if you could publish others without a kickstarter?

By the way, I like the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe-like feel.

Thanks,
                - Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill_CCHKK View Post
                  I'm very excited to see The Algernon Files revived. I was wondering what happens after this kickstarter, which gives (with the stretch goal, it looks like) Abraxas through Blackheart. Will there be additional kickstarters for future volumes? Or is this a test of the waters to see if you could publish others without a kickstarter?

Thanks,
                  - Bill
                  Here's what Aaron Sullivan posted on his website.

The Official Handbook of Blah, Blah, Blah…
                  Posted on January 23, 2014

Almost forgot, I do have a couple of pieces of news I can report – format and an additional product.

After a lot of discussion (and I do mean a lot), we’ve decided to go the route of individual volumes numbering between 12 to 20 entries each, depending on how the layout shakes out. This makes the scheme manageable (I have about 230 entries planned out numbering over 400 characters all told), so that will keep things flowing over the next few years reliably at nice quarterly chunks in the slightly less than 50 pages each range. Affordable, digestible, and a sane amount of work. More discussion there once we have a finalized layout.

Also, we’re putting together a small product tentatively called Juvenile Injustice (JI) to coincide with the release from Green Ronin of a 3e version of Hero High. JI will include three sections, covering

[1] How to run teen villains (written by the inestimable Jack Norris…go on, try to estimable him…I dare ya)

[2] The Winters Academy for the Exceptional Student (written by me with some additional student body provided by a few brave volunteers – more word later as stuff rolls in)

and

[3] The Seven Sins (a newbie team of villains who all recently graduated the Winters Academy together)

As usual, as I have news to throw at ya about any of this, I’ll run here and air all the dirty laundry. You’re welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Hahn View Post
                    Good luck with this. I'll spread the word. If for some reason you don't make your goal is there any thought to simply selling the PDFs? It looks like quality stuff and I'd hate to not have access and your work go unrewarded because people missed the kickstarter.
                    Honestly, I know that Dave and the Blackwyrm guys will do something to get the two books already done (and the JUVENILE INJUSTICE supplement currently being worked on) out to the public. But, I don't know about books beyond that if the response from fandom (demonstrated in part by the Kickstarter results) doesn't make it look profitable. Niche products in a niche industry and expectations for returns and all that.

Fingers crossed. I love what Alex and Melissa do with making the stuff in my head look good, and getting all these jokers out of my head (so they stop driving me to distraction) and out to an appreciative audience is pretty durn (that's a southernism) important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill_CCHKK View Post

Thanks,
                      - Bill
                      If I understand the thinking on Blackwyrm's part (I'm no longer part of the company per se having left many moons ago), assuming the Kickstarter goes well, that shows the market is actually there and the series will continue on their part (which is to say, providing the funding, though there may still be future Kickstarters to help out). I certainly hope so, anyway, as I have 30 volumes planned out and 5 out-of-series proper supplements (first one being worked on now) also planned, so I'd really hate to stop publishing with only something like 5% of the entries out to the world.

Yeah, Alex (the interior artist) and I are bigtime fans of the OHOTMU. Glad you like the affectionate homage.

Comment

Oh, and because I'm such a sweetheart, from the art pieces combined there (not all the art or all the characters in the first two volumes, btw) Left to Right --

1st pic:
                        Adonis
                        Alpha Mech (in the back)
                        American Spirit (from the Arsenal of Democracy)
                        Rampart (from the Arsenal of Democracy)
                        Anthem (II) (from the Arsenal of Democracy)
                        Abraxas (behind him are USAngel, Pluribus, S.T.A.R.S. & S.T.R.I.P.E.S., all from the Arsenal of Democracy)
                        Apex

2nd Pic:
                        Keepsake (from The Artificer's Guild)
                        Blackbone
                        Battalion
                        Bad Penny
                        Baron Brimstone
                        Bile (in back)
                        Lady Nightshade (from The Artificer's Guild)
                        Birthright
                        Blackheart
                        The Bargainer (a.k.a. Albion Caul)

You're welcome. :-)

Comment

If the first two volumes do well, who do you tentatively have scheduled for Vol. 3, and what quarter are you looking to release Juvenile Injustice? Or has that not been decided yet?

Comment

Originally posted by sumnerd View Post
                            If the first two volumes do well, who do you tentatively have scheduled for Vol. 3, and what quarter are you looking to release Juvenile Injustice? Or has that not been decided yet?
                            Volume 3 = Blacksun to Cadaver
                            Volume 4 = Cagliostro to Children of Diablo
                            Volume 5 = Chimera to Confederate Knights

(That's what is being worked on right now by moi and Alex...contents are actually planned up through #30)

It's more likely that JI will be 4th quarter than 3rd, but you never know. A lot of things depend on the Kickstarter (which is something people are probably going to get tired of hearing me say).

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Sullivan View Post
                              Volume 3 = Blacksun to Cadaver
                              Volume 4 = Cagliostro to Children of Diablo
                              Volume 5 = Chimera to Confederate Knights

(That's what is being worked on right now by moi and Alex...contents are actually planned up through #30)

It's more likely that JI will be 4th quarter than 3rd, but you never know.
                              Aaron thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Aaron Sullivan View Post
                              A lot of things depend on the Kickstarter (which is something people are probably going to get tired of hearing me say).
                              In other words, ladies and gents, unless we support these products (as in buy them), none of this stuff will see the light of day. So if you want to see more of the world Aaron and crew have created, get out there and promote it, and toss a few bucks in the Kickstarter. You'll blow through $5 on junk food, overpriced coffee, or some such other silliness. Why not invest in a product you will actually get some long term use out of?

Comment

Working...
                              X