Deus ex Historica--Any good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deus ex Historica--Any good?

I can't find reviews for this anywhere. Searches just bring up the kickstarter. Does anyone have it, recommend it?

Re: Deus ex Historica--Any good?

I have mixed feelings about this collection. I bought into the Drivethru subscription and finally received a compiled copy as well as a number of individual characters which were released regularly - My copy of the book is 366 pages long, has no index and the character write ups cover both heroes and villains from the Golden era right up to modern day with B&W illustrations ranging from very poor to excellent. It was an ambitious project that felt as though it ran out of steam when it finally reached the Iron Age - to my mind there are way too many Golden era characters and insufficient modern day characters - they start off with every character illustrated - and by the end its every third or fifth character only. There are some good builds in there but also some pathetically simple builds especially at the start and end of the book and its full of cliche characters. I get the impression that the individual builds weren't selling but felt they had to finish the series because of the subscribers so rushed to complete the series and it showed. Don't know if they revisited it again afterwards.

If you're looking for a history of supers from the Golden Era right through to the present and don't mind some silly or cliche characters in the mix (such as the Cowboy Commando or Lady Pendergrass who's power is a fur coat as armour and a scepter as a weapon to name just two) then you could find it useful.
    Last edited by SignalGK; 09-15-2014, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I agree that the project doesn't live up to the hype. It has its moments but the only section that seems fully developed (if you can call it that) is the Golden Age, which was the only part released by the original production team before they sold off the project to another company. While I can't say the new guys did a bad job of it, most of the book feels like it was thrown together to fill the pages. The initial entries had a sense of fun and excitement that is missing from much of the rest of the book. And yes, some of the art is really subpar.

There aren't many characters I'd seriously consider using from this product, which is the main reason I consider it a disappointment. The entries show that the developers understand the tropes and stereotypes of each Era, but fail to make interesting and vital npcs that I'd look at and say, "Damn, I want to use this in my next game session! "

Andrew
      - Andrew <:-{}

Comment

Originally posted by Quistar View Post
        I agree that the project doesn't live up to the hype. It has its moments but the only section that seems fully developed (if you can call it that) is the Golden Age, which was the only part released by the original production team before they sold off the project to another company. While I can't say the new guys did a bad job of it, most of the book feels like it was thrown together to fill the pages. The initial entries had a sense of fun and excitement that is missing from much of the rest of the book. And yes, some of the art is really subpar.
        That explains a lot Andrew, thank you for the explanation - there were some early modern day promos - Danni Cypher, Barb and Blood Lily that were quite good and were the reason I bought a subscription. The golden era heroes were quite basic builds but I always hoped the series would get better with time only to be sadly disappointed... Cel la guerre!

Comment

Working...
        X