Defenders (Aug. 18)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defenders (Aug. 18)

So, four days until the release of Netflix's Defenders. While I found both Luke Cage and Iron Fist to be somewhat disappointing, the trailers for this look decent enough; while I'm again wary about the lack of details, I still think the show looks promising. Here's hoping.

Last edited by Rush; 14th August 2017, 09:57 AM.
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
    Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Re: Defenders (Aug. 18)

Last edited by Rush; 14th August 2017, 09:59 AM.
    My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
    Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

I thought Luke Cage was excellent. I'm really excited for this. Early reviews are pretty positive.
      "Mom, is the Dairy Queen married to the Burger King?" - My five-year-old

The Ro Show, my collection of characters and random builds.

Comment

Loved it....but there is one thing that has bugged me during the other series as well, especially the later ones....

Stop, for heaven's sake, stop with the " you wouldn't believe me" shtik. Skepticism is all nice and well but after SEVERAL world-shaking events involving people with superpowers and honest-to-god GODS one might think that people would lend a little more credibility to even somewhat outrageous stories. I know, you want to keep the shows grounded in reality...but the amount of disbelief the (supporting) characters show is starting to look unrealistic to me. Please...show that the world acknowledges these events. Public perception of what is real and believable and what is not would definitely change in our world if superpowers were a reality...

*sigh* rant over.

Comment

Overall I really enjoyed the series and how the characters played off each other especially Luke and Danny. There were a number of twists I didn't expect and some things that just didn't make sense which I have come to expect from these shows.

It was also good to see some of the supporting characters from the other shows even briefly.

I have to agree with Neo-Paladin the "you wouldn't believe me if I told you" is really wearing thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo-Paladin View Post
            Loved it....but there is one thing that has bugged me during the other series as well, especially the later ones....

Stop, for heaven's sake, stop with the " you wouldn't believe me" shtik. Skepticism is all nice and well but after SEVERAL world-shaking events involving people with superpowers and honest-to-god GODS one might think that people would lend a little more credibility to even somewhat outrageous stories. I know, you want to keep the shows grounded in reality...but the amount of disbelief the (supporting) characters show is starting to look unrealistic to me. Please...show that the world acknowledges these events. Public perception of what is real and believable and what is not would definitely change in our world if superpowers were a reality...

*sigh* rant over.
            "Dragons? Don't make me laugh!"

"You were literally attacked by alien space dragon-bots a few years ago..."

Comment

I thought the villains were meh. They really paled in comparison to Kingpin, Punisher, Kilgrave, Mariah, Shades, and Cottonmouth.

I guess they were better than Diamondback but that isn't saying much.

They even made Gao seem boring and well a lot less competent than she was in the other series.

Comment

I really liked the series.

I actually thought the villains were pretty good, for the most part (some exceptions but that would get spoiler-y). The protagonists were all very good. Luke was awesome and Danny was more likeable than on his own series. As for other characters, Stick was SO good and Coleen had a strong if somewhat less bad arse performance. A lot of the other side characters were just that, on the side... some more than others.
                Last edited by tomorrowtoday; 21st August 2017, 03:00 AM.

Comment

The show had its problems, but overall it was pretty entertaining. I agree some of the villains were lacking, but most were good. The motivation, maybe not so much. After finishing it, I got the sense they portrayed Iron Fist as they did on purpose to show growth vs bad acting/fighting skills of the actor himself. As for all the skepticism, I understood it. If Danny was a big personality like Tony Stark or famous like Captain America it could all be reasonable. Coming from a guy like Danny Rand it might seem ludicrous. Also, aliens and "gods" are one thing. A mystical dragon who you had to punch the heart of to get power does seem like a big deviation.
                  [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/46-mrdents-menagerie-of-characters]My characters past and present[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by mrdent12 View Post
                    The show had its problems, but overall it was pretty entertaining. I agree some of the villains were lacking, but most were good. The motivation, maybe not so much. After finishing it, I got the sense they portrayed Iron Fist as they did on purpose to show growth vs bad acting/fighting skills of the actor himself. As for all the skepticism, I understood it. If Danny was a big personality like Tony Stark or famous like Captain America it could all be reasonable. Coming from a guy like Danny Rand it might seem ludicrous. Also, aliens and "gods" are one thing. A mystical dragon who you had to punch the heart of to get power does seem like a big deviation.
                    On my end, it's the fact Jessica Jones is probably the singularity of cynicism and bad attitude incarnated into human form. I really think, at least in the Netflix show, she actively resents her superpowers simply because they make it clear she's Wrong Genre SavyTM.
                    [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]
                    [b]Twitter[/b]: Charles Phipps@Willowhugger

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Phipps View Post
                      On my end, it's the fact Jessica Jones is probably the singularity of cynicism and bad attitude incarnated into human form. I really think, at least in the Netflix show, she actively resents her superpowers simply because they make it clear she's Wrong Genre SavyTM.
                      Killgrave chose her because she had powers. Killgrave kept her because she had powers. He made her do horrible things because she had powers. She is obviously self-medicating with alcohol to deal with the mental trauma. She had good reason to resent her powers.

Comment

Working...
                      X