Fox is Rebooting FF... Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox is Rebooting FF... Again...

So I saw a few message boards and via YouTube that apparently Fox isn't done beating dead horse that is the Fantastic Four film franchise. They're apparently making a "kid-friendly" film focusing on things through the eyes of the Richards' children.

The only thing I can imagine happened was that the Skrulls who covertly replaced all the Fox honchos years ago were happily high-fiving each other over how they've successfully violated the franchise in every despicable, inhumane way imaginable... and a nervous human intern in the room quipped, "You know... I think they had kids. You guys haven't even touched the kids yet."

Re: Fox is Rebooting FF... Again...

I think... that's a bit extreme. Granted, the shots they've taken thus far mostly missed the mark (particularly the last one), but I prefer to reserve judgement until I've actually seen something.
    "Mom, is the Dairy Queen married to the Burger King?" - My five-year-old

The Ro Show, my collection of characters and random builds.

Comment

Except taking the whole reserve judgment position on whether or not the same guy who has already kicked you in the junk the last three times he has approached you is going to kick you in the junk a fourth time rather than giving you a hug... is not actually a very rational position to take.

Comment

You have a way with metaphor.

It's a movie. Some movies are good. Some movies are not. I liked First Class, and Days of Future Past. Logan was good. Deadpool was great. Fox can make good superhero movies. It's all about whoever they get to make the thing, and act in it. Ergo, when it comes to movies, I always have hope.

Comment

Originally posted by MissRo View Post
          You have a way with metaphor.

It's a movie. Some movies are good. Some movies are not. I liked First Class, and Days of Future Past. Logan was good. Deadpool was great. Fox can make good superhero movies. It's all about whoever they get to make the thing, and act in it. Ergo, when it comes to movies, I always have hope.
          True, there is evidence that Fox can make good movies. There is even evidence Fox make good X-Men movies. There is, however, zero evidence of them being capable of making a good Fantastic Four movie. They appear incapable of adapting the material, and this news indicates they have no intention of even trying.

Again, it is supposedly a kids film focusing on life through the eyes of the Richards' children. So they are making a movie specifically targeting the demographic least like to have any connection to/fondness for the source material (especially given how mothballed the FF have been by Marvel in recent years) and they are focusing on the secondary characters from that material. That screams zero intention of making an actual Fantastic Four movie in any real sense, just a film using the Fantastic Four as window-dressing.

Comment

Well, as you alluded, Fantastic Four is a pretty dead property at this point, and that's much more Marvel's doing then Fox's. I'm sure Fox payed a boatload for the rights; it's only natural that they, as a company, try to milk what they can out of the husk Marvel left them. I guess they figure it's got enough 'Marvel shine' left to it that it's worth taking another crack at, in some capacity at least.

And hell, some of my favorite movies of the last 5 years were made 'for kids'. Just because a movie is aimed at a younger demographic doesn't mean it's going to be bad.

Comment

This news falls squarely in the "MEH" category for me.

I definitely think Fox can do a great FF movie; but i'm worried they simply won't.

The best comics related movies need to be a labor of love; not an exercise in making/wasting money..

The last FF movie was really.. really bad.. its left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth; and Marvel isn't doing anything with the property to help.. they seem content to let the characters languish.

If Fox is gonna take the reins, they need to put a Triple A effort in. Here's hoping.
              "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tomorrowtoday View Post
                Except taking the whole reserve judgment position on whether or not the same guy who has already kicked you in the junk the last three times he has approached you is going to kick you in the junk a fourth time rather than giving you a hug... is not actually a very rational position to take.
                I'll just wait to see if he kicks some other guy in the junk.
                If the other guy instead likes the hug he gets, maybe I'll think of seeing the movie.
                Apprentice Mastermind:
                Assorted Builds: [url]https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMasterminds/miscreants.html[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by thaumonuclear View Post
                  I'll just wait to see if he kicks some other guy in the junk.
                  If the other guy instead likes the hug he gets, maybe I'll think of seeing the movie.
                  But what if the other guy just likes getting kicked in the junk? What then?

Comment

i actually liked the first Fantastic Four movie... yeah, i know that's not a secret that they had did some damn good casting for the actors who played Mister Fantastic and the Thing. Jessica Alba as the Invisible Woman was okay. Chris Evans as the Human Torch was good, but he makes a much better Captain America now that he's gotten a few years and more experience under his belt (and if he does give up acting to do directing for the most part, i'd hope he becomes as good a director as he's been as an actor). The first movie was actually not that bad. the second movie with the silver surfer was... yeah. it wasn't that good. though he didn't do as great a job in the first movie as Doctor Doom, he did pull it off in the second movie (it's only real saving grace in my mind at the moment). if they do what alot of us have been speculating over on youtube and facebook... it's looking as if they are gonna make a movie that is more focused as a family movie instead of the attempt at making a "Blockbuster" movie. the biggest mistake they made with the franchise as a movie for a vehicle. they tried it three times to make FF as a blockbuster and failed at it. oh boy did they fail at it with the last one. they had some really good actors and talent for the movie, but all that talent couldn't polish a <censored> into anymore more than it being a big pile of <censored>. so i'm hoping they finally figured out that fantastic four is a "four-colored" setting anchored into the silver age of comics with the big flashy images and concepts that adults know is BS, but will accept if it means the kids are gonna be entertained and inspired to have more imagination and not get lost in those new dang fanggled hand computer phone thingies that all the kids are so obsessed with these days.

hum, only one way to end this post...

"Hey what are you kids doing out here on my lawn!"

Comment

I wish they would let Marvel take back the rights.

Dr. Strange 2 as an adaptation of Triumph & Torment would be a great way to introduce Doom.

Comment

i always thought the general consensus was that the original FF movies were fine.

I think the decision to bring Doom back in the second one may have been in poor judgement (keep him in the background, give us someone else); but it certainly didn't ruin the movies. Indeed, if either is on; the wife and I will usually watch it. Crazy thing is; cable KNOWS this.. those mvoies tend to get pretty decent rotation (possibly because of Evans).

the reboot, however, was an even poorer decision.. like hooking up the miking machine to the cash cow, but forgetting to actually feed the poor thing.

like i said, labor of love... you get someone in who understand and really cares about the characters the way someone like Reynolds loved Deadpool and yes, you will reinvigorate a fading franchise..

and we don't even need a new origin story.. i'll always remember this one comic, it had The Thing explaining the FF to someone; standing around in the desert. I think they were supposed to be a reporter; but he kinda gave them the TL;DR version of the group as a family and how they had these powers and responsibilities; and speaking of responsibilities, the reporter should back up; because now he had to go to work.. and then you saw the Hulk (I think) falling out of the sky; like Reed had calculated his re-entry point (?) and they sent Ben to go wait for him and deal with it.

Scene would take all of 10 minutes and provide an excellent springboard into any type of movie.. (though obv Hulk would be replaced by anyone else)
                        "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Comment

I've always been luke warm on Fox superhero movies. Dead pool was hilarious but it is totally outside of "normal" movie universe, as a Deadpool movie should be. I liked it, and this from someone who pretty much hates the character and the Iron Age he sprang from.

Fox FF movies have always seemed half-assed. Okay-ish but missing the mark of good. They do seem to find new ways to make it not work, and this from someone whose second love was the Fantastic Four (My first comic was a Captain America/Falcon for 25 cents)

Wishful thinking has Marvel reacquiring the FF property and after a proper origin reboot movie clash with Doom have a tie in with Hulk during the credits.

Comment

Working...
                          X