Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Just saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. It didn't quite have the same snap of the first movie but very enjoyable and there were several times when the whole theatre was laughing. out loud And Baby Groot is amazing.

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Originally posted by Gilliam View Post
    Just saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. It didn't quite have the same snap of the first movie but very enjoyable and there were several times when the whole theatre was laughing. out loud And Baby Groot is amazing.
    I really can't wait to get to see this. The fact that we are getting "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2", "Spiderman: Homecoming" and "Thor: Ragnorok" this year has been just fantastic.

Comment

did i just saw Jeff Goldblum dancing during the credits

Comment

I liked it a lot. Definitely not as good as the first one, but the humor was great and I liked the Gunn didn't just go "sequel means more explosions, more action scenes" and actually did more character development this time. The villains were still "eh" and there were some pacing issues in the first half, but once things take off, it rocks. Yondu, Baby Groot and Drax were the standouts for sure.

And the cameos were great. I had to answer a lot of "OK, who was that and why did you squeal when you saw them?" questions from the fam afterwards, of course.
        The Thorpacolypse
        Member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent since 2005
        Co-Chair of the Council of 13
        "Hate you can trust"

Comment

I really liked this film. A lot of folks are saying "but not as good as the first one" and I'm sort of in the opposite boat. There are parts and characters I didn't like as much as the first film (for example, despite having several great scenes, I wasn't feeling Rocket as much in this film)... but on the whole, I actually sort of preferred this film to the first one.

Don't really know what else to post without getting spoilery, and since its like day 2 of release here in the States, not going to get spoilery today.

Comment

Loved it!

It wasn't absolutely perfect. It was a tad long. It did seem a bit overly dramatic, with the tugging on the heart strings being a bit too... thick. And they seemed to be trying a little too hard with a few of the jokes and gags. As far as taking the family though, the kids will absolutely love that extra effort.

But none of that stops it from being an awesome, fun movie. IMO, it was slightly better than the first (although I wasn't quite as enthralled with the first as most,) and I'd say it's firmly in the top 5 at least of Marvel DCU movies. The final act definitely hit a new level for the series.

Also, I checked out a number of negative reviews afterwards, just to read the zeitgeist I guess. I'd say this movie will separate those who are truly open to comic book movie geekdom from those who have just been pretending so far--not that disliking it automatically makes you a pretender, but it did seem to be a trend among critics.

Overall: 5 out of 5 stars.
            My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
            Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

I loved this movie. I really liked it better than the first movie. I felt like the first movie was a formula action adventure movie. The sequel is more like the comic books.

Comment

It's not time to make a change
                Just relax, take it easy
                You're still young, that's your fault
                There's so much you have to know
                Find a girl, settle down
                If you want you can marry
                Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

I was once like you are now
                And I know that it's not easy
                To be calm when you've found
                Something going on
                But take your time, think a lot
                Think of everything you've got
                For you will still be here tomorrow
                But your dreams may not

How can I try to explain?
                When I do he turns away again
                It's always been the same, same old story
                From the moment I could talk
                I was ordered to listen
                Now there's a way
                And I know that I have to go away
                I know I have to go

Just sit down, take it slowly
                There's so much you have to go through
                Find a girl, settle down

All the times that I've cried
                Keeping all the things I knew inside
                It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it
                If they were right I'd agree
                But it's them they know, not me
                Now there's a way
                I know I have to go

Comment

I liked this movie a lot. I'm not a big fan of the first one... I liked, but never thought it was as good as everyone else talked about. There is something in the timing and the delivery of many jokes that I just don't find very funny. That said, I really appreciate the plot being much more based on character interactions and their background than about the destiny of the galaxy (though it has this too, but IMO is completely secondary to the actual story of Starlord and his father and the family-like relationship of the team). I recommend it.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed the new Guardians of the Galaxy. And it's a worthy successor to the original. It seemed to have a wee bit more humor and wisecracks than the first; but it still had a central theme and plot with serious ramifications. So its not like it was just a 'silly' movie.

If I had to offer a critique of things I missed, i would say there's not enough world-building going on as compared to the first movie. In the first GotG we got the Kree, Knowhere, Xandar, heck.. even the Kiln.. In GotG2 we really only got one planet and the Sovereign (Farscape's Ben Browder FTW!!) and the Sovereign were kind of lame..

BUT, this movie did a wonderful job of character development and i think that will pay off dividends in the next movie. Sure, I personally would have liked to see some more 'threats' and villains who will reappear later, but I trust in Gunn.

Though, i should mention... i really wanna see Groot back in regular Groot form for the next movie. Baby Groot is adorable, sure.. but enough of that.
                    "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by savijmuhdrox View Post
                      Farscape's Ben Browder FTW!!
                      the guardians of the galaxy & the moya crew have a lot in common :

an earther who spews pop culture refrences & own something named after an actress
                      a sexy bad ass female alien
                      a lovable big lug warrior
                      a short wise ass
                      a sentient plant

Comment

Originally posted by savijmuhdrox View Post
                        Though, i should mention... i really wanna see Groot back in regular Groot form for the next movie. Baby Groot is adorable, sure.. but enough of that.
                        *gasp!*

Didn't you stay for all 5 extra scenes during the credits?!
                        My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                        Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Originally posted by Thorpacolypse View Post
                          And the cameos were great. I had to answer a lot of "OK, who was that and why did you squeal when you saw them?" questions from the fam afterwards, of course.
                          I know that feeling... I was totally nerdgasming throughout the movie...
                          [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

this is one of those kind of songs that always made me cry... now at least i don't have a personal reason to cry when i hear it. And when i said, "More Families have been built upon a foundation of love in a single generation, than there ever has been, or being or created in the future on a foundation of blood." as the credits rolled i was thanked for such a simple truism. Love binds, it builds, it grows and it never fails. i wish i could watch this movie a hundred more times right now. Love comes in many shapes and sizes, but we're mere mortals whom have limited vision and that it takes something horrible to make us see that love... i hate that so many people don't know how to share that love, because they don't want to be seen as weak. But love isn't a weakness, It's a strength. I'm proof that Love can make a cripple walk, that it can make a dead man sit up and say, "I'm still here."

If you love someone, tell them... just tell them. even if they don't love you in return. letting them know that they are loved, it might take days, months, years or decades to realize that love isn't selfish, that it's not a weakness. but it's a strength and that family always does for family, and that just sharing someone's blood doesn't make them family. Love is what makes a family.

Originally posted by Voltron64 View Post
                            Just relax, take it easy
                            There's so much you have to know
                            Find a girl, settle down

I was once like you are now
                            And I know that it's not easy
                            To be calm when you've found
                            Something going on
                            But take your time, think a lot
                            Think of everything you've got
                            For you will still be here tomorrow
                            But your dreams may not

How can I try to explain?
                            When I do he turns away again
                            It's always been the same, same old story
                            From the moment I could talk
                            I was ordered to listen
                            Now there's a way
                            I know I have to go

Just sit down, take it slowly
                            There's so much you have to go through
                            Find a girl, settle down

All the times that I've cried
                            Keeping all the things I knew inside
                            It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it
                            If they were right I'd agree
                            But it's them they know, not me
                            Now there's a way
                            I know I have to go

Comment

Originally posted by Rush View Post
                              *gasp!*

Didn't you stay for all 5 extra scenes during the credits?!
                              I totally did.. now of course baby groot can easily be used for an entire movie of adorable scenes and plot contrivances (we need a bomb in a small hole!); but anything else would get old quickly.. so lets just have Groot.. get old quickly..
                              "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X