IDW's Revolution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDW's Revolution

This is the only big crossover event I have followed this year. It was the only one that even marginally interested me.

For those who don't know. This is IDW's first strike in establishing a full inter-related universe of Hasbro properties. Transformers, Action Man, G.I. Joe, MASK, Micronauts, Rom are the properties touched in this opening salvo of a series.

I'm 4 issues in to the main Revolution series. I have also bought all of the one shots released to date. So I have gotten all of the side stories released to date.

Following up will be a series ongoing series called Revolutionaries. Which handles the bulk of the stories that cross over between the featured properties. So this isn't going to be a continuous big bite out of the readers wallets. And the approach isn't something I mind.

Revolution didn't just pop out of nowhere. The stories building up to it have existed in IDW's Hasbro based books for pretty close to 15 years of their publishing. Revolution is just the first time those properties collide in one story. And honestly? It's quite a ride. I look forward to seeing the stories that come out of it.

It's the birth of a new comics universe. One I am pretty happy to see. As the pieces all seem to fit together pretty seamlessly.

Re: IDW's Revolution

Originally posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    It's the birth of a new comics universe. One I am pretty happy to see. As the pieces all seem to fit together pretty seamlessly.
    in my experience, that's how things normally go! take the Marvel and DC comics' universes for example. they also compliment each other pretty well, and for the most part you don't need all that much of a bridge to be built to bring them together.

Comment

I finally finished Revolution and all of its tie-ins. I have all of them. And I have read all of them.

The main limited series itself was great. It was a great establishing piece. That set the tone for how things work in the unified Hasbro Universe. I can't say enough good about it.

The tie-ins is where things got dicey. Most were good solid establishing pieces that backed up the main story really well. The majority of them showed that the world is quite alive and vibrant. Working well together. And destined to produce great stories a long time into the future.

Transformers More Than Meets The Eye: Revolution is where the bad came home to roost. It was the last of the tie-ins to be released. It was also the biggest source of disappointment of an otherwise top notch crossover.

You see, Transformers More Than Meets The Eye: Revolution was one of those irrelevant books that insisted on shredding the fourth wall. Which tried to be humorous. (Notice I'm not laughing.) We didn't get to see the crew of the Lost Light dealing with the new discoveries regarding the universe around them. We didn't get to see any of that. What we got to see were irrelevant bit player bots that had really nothing to do with past or present Transformers stories used to propel a "joke issue". To me, that was such a huge waste. As well as being a painful showing of disrespect to a universe establishing event.

I should be happy about this event. But that last tie-in just ruined it for me. What were they thinking?

Comment

You see, Transformers More Than Meets The Eye: Revolution was one of those irrelevant books that insisted on shredding the fourth wall. Which tried to be humorous. (Notice I'm not laughing.) We didn't get to see the crew of the Lost Light dealing with the new discoveries regarding the universe around them. We didn't get to see any of that. What we got to see were irrelevant bit player bots that had really nothing to do with past or present Transformers stories used to propel a "joke issue". To me, that was such a huge waste. As well as being a painful showing of disrespect to a universe establishing event.

I should be happy about this event. But that last tie-in just ruined it for me. What were they thinking?
        That Lost Light/MTMTE really has little to do with this expanded universe as the only two space faring races part of it don't fit the tone of that book?

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
          That Lost Light/MTMTE really has little to do with this expanded universe as the only two space faring races part of it don't fit the tone of that book?
          They very well could have run into the Spaceknights and Dire Wraiths out in space. The opportunity was there.

The current issue of Rom has two more Spaceknights landing on Earth. Ready to do some damage.

They also could have done something regarding the self-exile of Micronus Prime from Cybertron. They could have crossed the path he traveled. And could have found some kind of remnants he could have left behind prior to his creation of Microspace. Which could have further helped fill out the mythos they had been working on.

Comment

They very well could have run into the Spaceknights and Dire Wraiths out in space. The opportunity was there.

The current issue of Rom has two more Spaceknights landing on Earth. Ready to do some damage.

They also could have done something regarding the self-exile of Micronus Prime from Cybertron. They could have crossed the path he traveled. And could have found some kind of remnants he could have left behind prior to his creation of Microspace. Which could have further helped fill out the mythos they had been working on.
            As I said, doesn't really fit the tone. I mean, do you want to see Baron Karza get murdered by Whirl in a bar fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
              As I said, doesn't really fit the tone. I mean, do you want to see Baron Karza get murdered by Whirl in a bar fight?
              As the main Revolution limited series showed: Karza is more than a match for any of the characters in the Hasbro Universe. He's a mega-threat. Regardless of his stature.

Lost Light remains one of the favorite series I get from IDW. That series is a window into the greater universe at large. Showing aspects of the universe that the rest of the books don't and won't get near. It shows just how massive the universe is. And gives a view of what other players are out there.

In a way. Lost Light is the Star Trek of the Hasbro Universe. It's a book that continues to expand the boundries of what is out there.

Comment

Revolutionaries #1 is out. And I have read it.

It is exactly what was promised. Crossover stories between the different Hasbro properties.

The first issue features the continuing of the unlikely team-up between Action Man and Kup. Which was established in the Action Man tie-in for Revolution.

Comment

Working...
                X