Iron Fist : Coming to Netflix in March 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iron Fist : Coming to Netflix in March 2017

While I have liked many of the supporting actors, I wouldn't say any of them carried the show. Personally I love how Night Nurse has tied all the series together. I'm an old school comic fan so I could have picked these things to death, but the first Thor movie taught me something . . . . Go into these things with an open mind and appreciate them for an interpretation of the original material. As long as they pay an honest homage to it, let the material speak for itself on its' own terms in it's own medium.

Luke Cage is still my favorite ( I preferred Pops to Cottonmouth but both were fine supporting characters) but Iron Fist was an excellent follow up. Take that from a kid who was studying martial arts in the late 70's at the age of 13 and a huge Iron Fist, Heroes for Hire fan. Still hope he loses the beard (I know it has a "hip" factor but meh) and wish he was hooking up with a bionic armed Misty Knight but the martial arts were good, especially for tv, and the Iron Fist special effect excellent and the storyline portrayed a naive (not stupid) emotionally wrecked individual learning how to cope in a new culture and making the right decisions under difficult circumstances.

Using the Hand as the enemy that eventually ties the four characters is brilliant. I could do without the machine gun toting mercenaries but again a small thing overall. The enemy is what makes the hero shine and while Bukato was good, Gao really works as a villain I can admire, in that she uses guile over guns.

Her and Bukato mentoring Danny was a nice touch. It was the same with Harold. All villains who had a level you could sympathize with in some way. More importantly on a level Danny could. I said at the beginning of this thread Danny Rand was going to be the hardest character to pull off, even nudged that mighty whitey domino that got Ares going Creating sympathy for a character with a rich white kid background and not have him be a brooding Bat or Arrow character was a huge obstacle. They could made alternative but they didn't and I think it works. Danny is a different character and by the end of the Defenders and IF2 his personality will see more growth than all the others except just maybe (hopefully) Jessica Jones.

Time to rewatch Cage now

Comment

I love the Netflix series, and i really hope they will create a new series based around Claire Temple and the other supporting cast that would allow for a rotating cast that would allow some "real world" feeling to show us what it's like to live in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and show how normal people just living their lives can save the day just as much as timeloops, throwing lighting, building powered armor, ect. this would also allow for "backdoor" pilot eps. to introduce new characters (powered and non-powered) with out having to do it on the big screen movies.... though for this, i would have expand the Marvel Studios to have full time staff who'd operate it in a way that keep continually!

Comment

Originally posted by American_Patriot View Post
        I love the Netflix series, and i really hope they will create a new series based around Claire Temple and the other supporting cast that would allow for a rotating cast that would allow some "real world" feeling to show us what it's like to live in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and show how normal people just living their lives can save the day just as much as timeloops, throwing lighting, building powered armor, ect. this would also allow for "backdoor" pilot eps. to introduce new characters (powered and non-powered) with out having to do it on the big screen movies.... though for this, i would have expand the Marvel Studios to have full time staff who'd operate it in a way that keep continually!
        it's an interesting idea; and DC is going down that path with their upcoming sitcom (Powerless?) so i think everyone might wait-and-see before putting any such plans in motion. The only other catch, i think, would be that there seems to still be an incredibly difficult roadblock in going from TV to film.. either because of scheduling or some other industry reasoning. (One would think it would not have been difficult to give the AoS cast walk-on roles in Age of Ultron; but no dice).

but to get your hopes back up.. LEGION has been absolutely phenomenal.. a whole series around a pretty obscure character, shows that nothing is off the table, provided the "people making the show" are topnotch.

So there is hope that i may one day get my Speedball/Rage buddy-cop/roadtrip series greenlit one day afterall (soon as i write it, of course).

And the premise is so simple.. Eldin is going to college, and Robbie is driving him cross-country to get there. Hi-jinks ensue.
        "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Comment

Powerless has been out already for 6 episodes.

Legion isn't a Marvel Studios show. That is pure FOX.

Comment

So, I feel like I've let enough time past to let this series sink in and give my thoughts on it, especially given how I kept going on and on about the controversy surrounding the series.

I have to say I really liked it, though I think Daredevil is overall the best of the MCU Netflix series, I would say I enjoyed Iron Fist more than both Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. And make no mistake, I like all of of the Netflix MCU series and am SO excited for Defenders, but I feel Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have worse pacing problems than both Daredevil and Iron Fist, with Jessica Jones being fairly boring at times while Luke Cage has a problem with the villains.

Overall, I feel Iron Fist did a pretty good job of telling his story. The show runners did a good job of making the boardroom stuff interesting enough to keep my attention, I found the actors all did a decent to solid job with their roles, the fight scenes were usually pretty solid, they embraced a lot of the mystical elements of Iron Fist, and it ends on something to set up for later work.

I can also see why they went the route they did on several choices. They wanted to treat people going into Iron Fist as if they've never heard of the guy, so they want to play up the mystery around Danny, what's going on with him, flesh out all of the secondary characters, etc. I can also understand why they've sort of put Danny at his "original" power levels where using the Iron Fist more than once an hour was draining for him, rather than the Immortal Iron Fist level where he can spam chi techniques left and right. By making Danny's training incomplete, he's "merely" a devastating fighter rather than an invincible one, and the scene of the 50's Iron Fist kicking ass with both fists blazing shows Danny how far he has to go in his training.

I find that all of the Netflix series have pacing issues outside of Daredevil Season 1, and Iron Fist is no different. However, unlike Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, Iron Fist is a little slow in the beginning before really cutting loose in the second half. My guess is the show runners wanted to start off semi-grounded and slowly build up towards the more outlandish elements.

Beyond that, most of my complaints with Iron Fist are superficial. I don't like the beard or lack of costume for Danny, I felt the fight choreography could have borrowed from a series like "Enter the Badlands", I felt there should have been a bit more martial arts and more outlandish opponents, ninja, guys in cool costumes, etc. I'm hoping Season 2 will embrace more of it's outlandish elements.

Overall tho, I think Iron Fist was a fine addition to the Netflix series and has me excited for the Defenders.
            [U][B]Custom Settings[/B][/U]__________________________________
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/236-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series?p=4519#post4519"]Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/139-The-Mean-Streets-of-Magic-and-Other-Extraordinary-Thinggs"]The Mean Streets of Magic and Other Extraordinary Things[/URL]
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]Ares' Builds - [/URL][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]The Marvel Family and Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]

Comment

One fan's re-imagined version of Iron Fist.

https://fix-flick.com/2017/04/12/iron-fist-reimagined/

Comment

Okay, its been out long enough to give my full thoughts without worrying too much about spoilers.

Overall, I thought it was an okay/pretty good show. Not the best Netflix Marvel offering. It basically ranks the same as Luke Cage (the full season, the first section of Luke Cage actually ranks tops for me), for me. The show did have problems, some of which hilariously almost seem like they were in response to complaints about other shows/movies (Too much flashback!, Not another origin story!).

Primarily, the show seemed to actively try NOT to be another origin story and NOT to rely upon origin flashbacks too much (there were some, but not to the extent of other shows/movies and more importantly not with the right quality to them)... much to its detriment. Its funny that one of the shows ad taglines was "Who is Danny Rand?" because at the end of the series, due to this avoidance of what has been done before, that question largely goes unanswered.

Characters do not exist in a vacuum, they are the sum of their experiences, their interactions with others, and their connections/foils... and Danny's story is devoid of so much of that on anything more than a very superficial level. We don't ever really find out who and what made Danny... Danny. We sort of hear about it, but that's pretty much it and that is against a fundamental film/television 101 edict... if possible, SHOW IT, DON'T SAY IT. Iron Fist has a lot of saying stuff about this, that, and the other thing... but shows us very little.

Danny's relationship to his parents, to their company, to the Meachums, to his K'un-Lun buddy, or even to K'un-Lun itself are all vague at best. Origin story is being avoided like the plague and as such these connections are just not very well established, so the drives and motivations of Danny in the series make little sense to the audience. And the same can be said of some of the other characters too. Joy Meachum has been noted a poor character on the show because she basically randomly jumps around from being Pollyanna helpful to supervillain antagonist with little rhyme or reason. However, if ANY significant effort had been made to SHOW her bond to Danny as children or development while Danny was away, and thus the torn nature of her character (we get some of this late in the series, but only a bit), I imagine this wouldn't be an issue. Evidence of this I would say is the character of Ward Meachum. Ward is a character we actually DO get to know over the course of Iron Fist and get to know very well indeed. Ironically, I would almost call Ward the real protagonist of the show not because he's the hero but because he is the shows most fully formed and fleshed out individual character who actually goes through a solid evolutionary character arch from the start to the finish of the series. Hell, even the primary when-they-were-kids flashback basically just sets up Ward as being a bully-and-a-jerk who'll knock over the board rather than lose... and the show actually gives us the WHY to that later on when the dynamics of Harold and Ward are shown.

I mean, I suppose the best comparison is to another Marvel Netflix show, and these shows all have more flashbacks/origin establishment but more importantly have substance to their flashbacks that allow us to KNOW the characters we're watching. Imagine a version of Netflix's Daredevil where we barely see any flashbacks to Matt's dad, except maybe the one shot of him responding to Matt's accident and the scene of Matt finding out about him dying. Everything else is just basically mentioned in passing in the present via hearsay from various random characters. We see maybe one or two glimpses of Stick but nothing substantial. Foggy is there, but no flashbacks to that relationship forming/developing, just maybe some lip service to this or that happening back in law school. Its all just Matt Murdock running around beating up criminals for vague reasons and occasionally explaining to folks he got training for a guy named Stick and has super-sensory powers... and that's it. You'd basically have Daredevil done the Iron Fist way... and it would be very much the worse for it, IMHO.

I know other folks took issue with some racial stuff, fights not being over the top wire fu, and Finn Jones not looking particularly ripped/like a guy who allegedly and plausibly spent over a decade training physically and in the martial arts non-stop... but I didn't take a lot of issue with such things myself.
                Last edited by tomorrowtoday; 05-06-2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I should also note that I kind of wonder if Iron Fist not having any semblance of his usual costume is maybe related to Daredevil's season one get-up perhaps not testing well, because, you know top of the face covering bandana pretty much IS Iron Fist's thing. I mean in the Defenders' trailer they literally have Jessica Jones making fun him using her scarf for the same effect.

Comment

The problem with Iron Fist really was he wasn't Iron Fist. I liked it... But...

He's NOT a guy "figuring out" his powers. By the time he gets back from Kun Lun, Danny is a full blown hero. He knows how to use it. That is what Iron Fist should have been. He should have been at full power.

Imagine if he showed up and had his full power.

Use it.

Own it.

Make Danny a hero.

Idea 1: Remember, Danny is a public hero.

Danny arrives at Rand Industries. He's doing his thing. Instead of some stupid plot about an asylum. We have the Hand get involved immediately.

Danny showing up would be bad for them. Thus THEY go after him. Now, where Daredevil has some problems... Iron Fist doesn't.

We suddenly see the realization that he's facing the Hand. He UNLEASHES the Kung Fu madness. Running on walls, fists glowing with fire, he unloads. The Hand freaks out and one of them tries to escape by running him over...

Danny Rand rams his hand into the car and rips it apart... The show shows us we aren't dealing with an amateur.

But no...

Comment

I would have liked to have seen uber-fighter Iron Fist right off the bat too. I suspect they didn't go that route to avoid reaching normal-comic-hero levels of conflict right off (and to keep Danny on the same level as the other Defenders, which doesn't make sense to me, but I could believe the writers/producers would go that route.) And, not having a mask meant no convenient substitutions of a highly-skilled stunt double in the fight scenes. (*sigh*)
                      My builds can be found in the Roll Call forum [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Mr-Smooth)?p=68608&viewfull=1#post68608]here[/url]. And, here's the latest version of [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/1719-Rush-s-Characters-(new-Edge)?p=256421&viewfull=1#post256421]The Cast[/url].
                      Currently playing in: [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6868-Xenoforce-Earth-s-Strangest-Heroes-Recruiting-2-more-players][color=#d7af50]Xenoforce: Earth's Strangest Heroes[/color][/url].

Comment

Working...
                      X