Runaways (Hulu)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runaways (Hulu)

So, Runaways is going to be coming out on Hulu, run by the folks who did Chuck, OC, Gossip Girl, etc.

So Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders, and Punisher on Netflix, Agents of Shield on ABC, Cloak and Dagger on Freeform, and no Runaways on Hulu... all in shared MCU. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Cloak and Dagger and Runaways have crossovers, as that sort of makes sense.

Thoughts?

Re: Runaways (Hulu)

Cloak and Dagger showed up pretty early on in the Runaways series so that makes sense.

The only downside is that I felt like Runaways was a much better series detached from the rest of the Marvel universe. It really stretches credibility that a group as powerful as the Pride would be able to go unknown for so long. That and, after Vaughn left, the book went downhill pretty quickly.

Comment

I can't imagine that the first season of Runaways won't be an adaption of the first run of Runaways. I mean, its almost a given, unless they've lost their minds or something.

As for the Pride... well...the Hand, modern Hydra, the Inhumans, Madam Gao's group, the entirety of Doctor Strange's mystical corner of MCU, and even most of the space stuff (living planet avatar-sired Peter Quill was abducted back in the 80s by alien pirates who knew Earth pretty well and yet all the powers-that-be were supposedly blindsided by the existence of aliens decades later)... the heroes and governments in the MCU have profound capacity for knowing all of jack and #$@$ about powerful and long-standing threats to their very existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock View Post
        Cloak and Dagger showed up pretty early on in the Runaways series so that makes sense.

The only downside is that I felt like Runaways was a much better series detached from the rest of the Marvel universe. It really stretches credibility that a group as powerful as the Pride would be able to go unknown for so long. That and, after Vaughn left, the book went downhill pretty quickly.
        To be fair, the West Coast Avengers were a bunch of idiots.

I was annoyed they never got a shout out, though.
        [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]
        [b]Twitter[/b]: Charles Phipps@Willowhugger

Comment

Well, the TV Show at least will hopefully mean a greater disconnect from the rest of the MCU, which means less of a chance for the Runaways to be arrogant, dismissive know-it-all's to actual established Marvel heroes and make said heroes with far more power and experience look bad by comparison. Seriously, even if the kids were suppose to feel like they were too cool for the superhero thing, they live in a superhero universe. Spider-Man or Captain America would mop the floor with the entire team from a moral, ethical, commons sense AND combat standing.
          [U][B]Custom Settings[/B][/U]__________________________________
          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/236-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series?p=4519#post4519"]Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]
          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/139-The-Mean-Streets-of-Magic-and-Other-Extraordinary-Thinggs"]The Mean Streets of Magic and Other Extraordinary Things[/URL]
          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]Ares' Builds - [/URL][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]The Marvel Family and Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Ares View Post
            Well, the TV Show at least will hopefully mean a greater disconnect from the rest of the MCU, which means less of a chance for the Runaways to be arrogant, dismissive know-it-all's to actual established Marvel heroes and make said heroes with far more power and experience look bad by comparison. Seriously, even if the kids were suppose to feel like they were too cool for the superhero thing, they live in a superhero universe. Spider-Man or Captain America would mop the floor with the entire team from a moral, ethical, commons sense AND combat standing.
            I'm not sure showing-up established Marvel heroes was ever really the Runaways thing back in volume one. Not that the MCU has much in terms of established/experienced heroes anyway. Also in terms of "far more powerful" heroes, that's highly debatable when it comes to Nico and Molly in particular.

Comment

I see no indication it will be animated, and trying to do Molly (or really any of them, but Molly has the worst end) in live action is a recipe for disaster.

Was Freeform!Cloak and Dagger ever confirmed MCU?

Comment

Originally posted by chosenredead View Post
                I see no indication it will be animated, and trying to do Molly (or really any of them, but Molly has the worst end) in live action is a recipe for disaster.

Was Freeform!Cloak and Dagger ever confirmed MCU?
                Pretty sure it was confirmed as MCU.

What's so hard about Molly? A brick with glowing eyes, television shows have been doing bricks forever. Honestly though, the Runaways is a bit full-tilt fantastic elements-wise. The Pride and by extension the Runaways themselves are representative of diverse elements of the Marvel universe, some of which haven't even been touched on all that much in the films and other shows. I can't imagine there won't be heavy adaptations both for budget and to put things more in-line with the state of the MCU.

Comment

Originally posted by Ares View Post
                  I understand that, but at the same time I got a huge kick seeing Molly punch Wolverine through a building.

Comment

I love the first trade of Runaways. At the time it felt very fresh and new. Absolutely loved all the characters and the reveal of who was the traitor hurt....mostly because I didn't want ANY of them to turn on the team.
                    "One must first experience pain in order to be grateful for its absence."

Comment

Originally posted by tomorrowtoday View Post
                      What's so hard about Molly? A brick with glowing eyes, television shows have been doing bricks forever.
                      Wasn't talking about her powers, I was talking about her age. "Never work with children and animals" is a thing for a reason. Child actors in lead roles cause all sorts of problems, especially so when its an ongoing (where you'll have to deal with aging) and not a movie.

Comment

Wasn't talking about her powers, I was talking about her age. "Never work with children and animals" is a thing for a reason. Child actors in lead roles cause all sorts of problems, especially so when its an ongoing (where you'll have to deal with aging) and not a movie.
                        Yup.

1) Children usually lack the life experience to be good actors, so good child actors are few and far between.

2) Minors are limited in the hours you can film with them. IIRC, both in the times of day, and the total time you've got with them. And shows typically have long shooting days, meaning you have to shoot a lot of scenes with them not in it the rest of the day, or lose time.

3) There's also all sorts of things you have to provide for them on set, like education.

The rest of the cast could, more or less, be played by people who are 18 or 19. Molly really can't. Same reason I've always thought that while Power Pack could carry a series, in would have to be an animated one.

Comment

Get Millie Bobby Brown -- Eleven from 'Stranger Things' -- and stick her in a goofy animal hat. Problem solved.
                          Punching For Justice

Comment

Yeah, Molly's age is problematic. Then again, so is a lot about Runaways. The first run involves a lot of stuff that is potentially pricey and also not well-established in the MCU: time travelers, actual magic (not science as magic, or a mystical power, but spellcasting), a genetically modified dinosaur, non-Stark uber super-science tech, vampires, a new alien species, extradimensoinal entities, mutants (obviously Molly and her parents can't be mutants), etc. A lot of that is really ambitious for a television show and also runs afoul of other projects and potential projects. Does the MCU want to open the pandora's box that is Marvel-style time travel? How much do they want a streaming show depicting how magic and extradimensional entities works after just having launched Doctor Strange? Given that they already have a fairly Inhuman-centric AoS and decided against an Inhuman movie... do they really want to make Molly and her parents Inhumans? If Chase and his parents can whip up all manner of Stark-level gadgetry, what does that do to super-nerds on pre-existing shows like AoS? Does the MCU really want vampires introduced through any venue other than Blade? Does the MCU really want a new alien race that inexplicably doesn't appear in any of their other space-centric stuff?

I still think they'd be nuts not to adapt the first season from the initial run of the comic, but I assume very heavy adaptation will occur as well.

Comment

First three episodes dropped today... and pretty good so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X