Multiversity: Ultra Comics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiversity: Ultra Comics

I bought this issue today and read it. And I sorely want to go to DC Comics and ask for my money back.

In the middle of the book, through the main character as a mouthpiece, the author wrote a screed denouncing the whole medium of comics and its readers. Calling the comics themselves rubbish we should be ashamed of reading. And a complete waste of time.

So i'm going to make it a mission in life to make sure Grant Morrison gets no more of my money.

Re: Multiversity: Ultra Comics

Originally posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    In the middle of the book, through the main character as a mouthpiece, the author wrote a screed denouncing the whole medium of comics and its readers. Calling the comics themselves rubbish we should be ashamed of reading. And a complete waste of time.

So i'm going to make it a mission in life to make sure Grant Morrison gets no more of my money.
    Yeah that sounds like Grant Morrison: Tell me did he use it in a breaking the 4th wall way, in which his character/s are self aware of the conventions of comics such as page borders, pages, thought bubbles, speech bubbles or first person exposition panels?
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
      Yeah that sounds like Grant Morrison: Tell me did he use it in a breaking the 4th wall way, in which his character/s are self aware of the conventions of comics such as page borders, pages, thought bubbles, speech bubbles or first person exposition panels?
      Yes, he did.

Comment

Yes, he did.
        Classic pretentious Morrison.
        “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Was this the one that was a homage/knock off to Image Comics? If so it might have been more Morrison saying what he thinks the Image/Dark Age of comics is towards the comics medium, where it was of the medium but basically hated everything that made comics fun, sort of an inverse of Thunderworld. Of course, the irony would be that it's basically what the Nu-52 has become.
          [U][B]Custom Settings[/B][/U]__________________________________
          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/236-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series?p=4519#post4519"]Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]
          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/139-The-Mean-Streets-of-Magic-and-Other-Extraordinary-Thinggs"]The Mean Streets of Magic and Other Extraordinary Things[/URL]
          [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]Ares' Builds - [/URL][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]The Marvel Family and Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]

Comment

ahhh.. Grant Morrison.. justifying your own shitty existence by writing comics while strung out on drugs and wearing ladies underwear..

the new age equivalent of putting a thousand monkeys in a room with a thousand typewriters.
            "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Comment

Ah, see, I enjoyed the hell out of this, and I didn't see it as an attack on reading comics but rather the endless desire to reread, criticize, and take apart the stories when at the end of the day, they should be stories meant to entertain and inspire. If you spend all your time on the negative, that is the effect of the Gentry and the Oblivion Machine. Hell, I realized I was sitting alone going deep through internet commentary on the comic, when I should just stand up, enjoy what I saw, and go find real people to talk to.

Comment

Was this the issue with the cover of the guy screaming "Don't read this issue!" they showed in the first Multiversity comic?

Comment

Originally posted by Stormson View Post
                  Was this the issue with the cover of the guy screaming "Don't read this issue!" they showed in the first Multiversity comic?
                  It was. And frankly, I wish I had listened.

Comment

just got thru this issue last night and its anti-medium message didn't come across as strongly as I anticipated it was. Though there was some definite underlying message about how a HIT will consume you and destroy everything...

It's just typical Morrison.. dude really needs to stop trying to write a comic that crosses into the next world or whatever rubbish he's drolls on and on about in his book.

Because, at the end of the day.. this book wasn't really that 'meta' or whatever you want to call it. Heck, Invincible #117 was next in my pile and its FIRST PAGE (with the character at the comic store) was more 'meta' than the entire issue of Ultra Comics.

Morrison seems that yes, he is quite talented. I think he knows how to set-up a page and concoct an engrossing story. He should stick with that.

Comment

The Multiversity series is my "last hurrah" to DC's main line of superhero books. It's the end of the line for me. My final curtain call. After it, I'm done.

I found out the series I thought I was going to follow afterward was actually going to be a monthly. Instead the print version of Wonder Woman '77 turned out to be a collected edition of all of the stories they really ever intended to put out for it. Which kind of burns.

I don't particularly see Multiversity as being something to celebrate being that end of the line for me. It's like going out with a whimper, instead of a bang. Less than satisfying.

Comment

I don't particularly see Multiversity as being something to celebrate being that end of the line for me. It's like going out with a whimper, instead of a bang. Less than satisfying.
                        Or you could just keep on getting Earth 2.. with no inherent ability to say No.. like that weird aunt or uncle everyone has that's still alive, in a wheelchair.. and can only communicate via eyebrow flinches and flatulence..

Comment

Originally posted by savijmuhdrox View Post
                          Or you could just keep on getting Earth 2.. with no inherent ability to say No.. like that weird aunt or uncle everyone has that's still alive, in a wheelchair.. and can only communicate via eyebrow flinches and flatulence..
                          No thank you.

Comment

No thank you.
                            [fart noise].. [longer drawn out fart noise].. [fart noise with abrupt stop] [eyebrow raise]?

Comment

You aren't funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X