DC Comics Convergence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Comics Convergence

DC Comics Convergence event - http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/11...nt-convergence

While I'm tempted to pick a couple of these up, as I'm interested in seeing some of my old favorites back in print, I also know DC's recent history of doom, gloom, death in destruction (it's gotta be grim and gritty in the Nu52), so I'm also a bit hesitant. Anyone else thinking of checking some of these titles out?

Re: DC Comics Convergence

So DC is doing Secret Wars.... Marvel is re-doing Secret Wars....

I... can't... even...
    Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidious View Post
      So DC is doing Secret Wars.... Marvel is re-doing Secret Wars....
      Worse, it looks like DC is re doing Secret Wars, before it moves on to rehashing Crisis.
      “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

There was actually a Convergence thread on page 2, but wow, DC is even doing a Map of the Multiverse the way Marvel is doing a Map of Battleworld? You wonder if they're just trying to undercut the other's sales by releasing a similar event. Honestly, if they had any brains they'd use this to springboard into a big Marvel/DC Crossover next year, and look brilliant by having appeared to just be ripping the other off. Instead of just one ripping the other off.

But I digress.

I will say this: I have not bought any Nu-52 comics. Nothing they have produced so far has been worth my money, at least in my opinion. Every comic I have purchased the last couple of years have been trades of their older stuff, or back issues. But this? I will buy two of every comic that deals with the Pre-Flashpoint DCU, if only to try and get it through DC's head that they've pushed away too many old fans and burnt too many bridges with their creative staff.

And the thing is, the Nu-52 might work as an Ultimates style DCU, though the Wildstorm universe filled that niche well enough. I'm just tired of reading about these dark, morose a**holes and wondering when we're going to see this Superman go the Injustice route, because he isn't that far off already. I mean, the Flash TV show has a more classic superhero tone than most of the current DCU. How sad is that?

So if it means getting those characters back, I'd encourage everyone that loves the Pre-Flashpoint DCU to buy books featuring those characters. Maybe DC'll finally get the message.
        [U][B]Custom Settings[/B][/U]__________________________________
        [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/236-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series?p=4519#post4519"]Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]
        [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/139-The-Mean-Streets-of-Magic-and-Other-Extraordinary-Thinggs"]The Mean Streets of Magic and Other Extraordinary Things[/URL]
        [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]Ares' Builds - [/URL][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]The Marvel Family and Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]

Comment

Yeah, I'm likely gonna end up getting a lot of these too. Largely for the same reason of wanting to send a message. Partly cause I just want to see versions of the characters I care about. I just have no faith it will be well executed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying DC shouldn't have taken a chance, or even that the new 52 couldn't get better, let's remember, the years after Crisis were pretty weak overall, with only a few decent books here or there (Byrne's man of Steel, the JLI, Waid's Flash). Buuuuuuuuuuuuut... for the most part, the New 52 has been pretty fail. Mostly due to editorial using marvel 90's writing staff as a hand puppet to tell bland stories, while DC's handful of Golden Boys were allowed to just go hogwild.

Though the biggest failing of the new 52, I feel, is that it tried to graft the style of late 90's early 2000's Wildstorm onto characters it didn't fit, which is why virtually no one is recognizable as themselves.

Comment

Exactly. The idea at the end of Flashpoint seemed to be that some force had divided the universe into the DCU, the Wildstorm Universe and the Vertigo Universe, and that the only way to be strong enough to avert some upcoming disaster was to merge all three back to the original. So in theory, you'd have a chance to bring in the elements of the Wildstorm and Vertigo Universes that worked and merge them with the DCU. Not a bad concept, though I prefer the Wildstorm acting as the DCU's "Ultimates" universe, with the darker tones and such.

But what we got wasn't the DCU with Wildstorm and Vertigo characters thrown in, we got the 90's Wildstorm Universe with DC characters altered to fit that kind of look and attitude. So we get DC heroes acting more like guys from Stormwatch and WildCATs rather than having the Authority show up and be someone the League needs to take down. It creates a terrible, terrible mess.

Worse, the notion of creating a stronger universe to fight off the threat doesn't even really fit. The new universe LOST many more heroes than it gained. Whole sections of the DCU, Wildstorm and Vertigo universes are just gone. The most experienced versions of the JSA vanished, replaced by weaker rookies on another Earth. All of the heroes have, at best, 5 years of experience. There were no previous versions of the Titans. Several heroes are now villains (Warblade, Omen) or weaker and less competent (Shazam). The universe is far, FAR worse off than it was previously. Honestly, Pandora couldn't have done more to weaken the universe if she'd tried.

So I'm curious how they'll try to wiggle around this, where it apparently turns out the Pre-Flashpoint DCU never got merged with anything, and has been off on its own somewhere else. Barry Allen is supposedly the only guy who remembers the old universe, and he might be shocked to find that he wound up exiling his friends over a pretty stupid move.
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/236-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series?p=4519#post4519"]Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/139-The-Mean-Streets-of-Magic-and-Other-Extraordinary-Thinggs"]The Mean Streets of Magic and Other Extraordinary Things[/URL]
            [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]Ares' Builds - [/URL][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]The Marvel Family and Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Ares View Post

So I'm curious how they'll try to wiggle around this, where it apparently turns out the Pre-Flashpoint DCU never got merged with anything, and has been off on its own somewhere else. Barry Allen is supposedly the only guy who remembers the old universe, and he might be shocked to find that he wound up exiling his friends over a pretty stupid move.
              DCU Booster Gold has been kicking around since pretty much the beginning of the New 52. Less that he remembers as there are two Boosters, and one is the old incarnation.

Comment

You know, solo series Booster Gold would have had this mess sorted out already.

Solo series Wally West would have had this fixed in a storyarc. Heck, he did fix this kind of thing when Cobalt Blue killed Barry Allen.

Hell, if I can go on yet another Captain Marvel rant, Billy fixing these kinds of things go right with his concept and abilities. Billy's powers originate from the Rock of Eternity, which exists at the heart of space and time. Using the Rock, you can literally travel to any point in existence, be it the past, the future, anywhere in space, and any place in in any dimension or parallel universe. Pre-Crisis Cap use to use it to travel to Earth 1 and Earth 2, as well as forward and backwards in time. Additionally, at least one story had the fact that Cap's powers exist from outside normal space-time made him immune to things that affected the universe, potentially including changes in the timeline. It's one reason why Billy losing his powers during the JSA story when he was in the Shadowlands was so stupid. Not can you not cut him off from the source of his powers (when he's Cap the power comes from inside of him) but the Rock of Eternity can literally go anywhere, Shadowlands included.

It doesn't take much imagination to have Billy be immune to changes in the timeline the way Impulse was, so if someone goes back in time and mucks with history, Billy realizes the change and can go back in time and fix things. Likewise, he can be the one stopping invasions from other dimensions and the like. But DC never had him do things like that Post-Crisis because . . . well, that's another rant I've already made again and again.

When I initially heard that the Nu-52 was going to have a series about someone fighting different kind of inter-dimensional threats due to the walls of reality becoming weakened, I figured Cap would be the perfect guy for that. He's powerful, intelligent, the Wisdom translates languages, he favors diplomacy over violence, and he's perfect to handle everything from a fight to diplomacy. Then I remembered this was Nu-Shazam and not Captain Marvel. And then found out this was going to be Vibe's book.

No justice in this world, I tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ares View Post
                  I like the idea that the NU52 is some other universe & the multiversal map & the reference to the NU earth as Earth 1 is simply the ego of the people who made the map on NU-Earth.

As for Barry, does he remember the Prebooted universe? My understanding is that he can remember the Flashpoint when no one else can, but he has forgotten the prebooted universe, since in the last issue of Flashpoint when Batman asks him how the worlds were different, he couldn't determine that any other changes had taken place when to us as readers they clearly are some pretty major differences, differences that Barry should notice like the complete absence of the JSA, including his mentor the Golden Age flash.... The absence of Wally West & the Teen Titans, etcetera.

Really, its a mess & like you I'm hoping that this is the end of the NU52....

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
                  DCU Booster Gold has been kicking around since pretty much the beginning of the New 52. Less that he remembers as there are two Boosters, and one is the old incarnation.
                  Maybe: I know what you are talking about, but the two Booster Golds from the JLI international may or may not be the same Booster Gold, just from different parts of the time stream. This was the first & to my knowledge only reference to Rip Hunter in the NU52.

However if you read the last Flashpoint issue of Booster Gold, when the real timeline reasserts its self, Booster doesn't end up on NU-Earth, he ends up back in what one can only assume is the prebooted universe, since it has a flashback to Rip Hunter & Boosters sister, along with the blackboard & vanishing point. He actually ends up in the Vanishing Point, a place that we see no evidence of NU-Booster being able to access.

So fingers crossed, that the REAL booster is trying to put time right.
                  “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by sumnerd View Post
                    DC Comics Convergence event - http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/11...nt-convergence

While I'm tempted to pick a couple of these up, as I'm interested in seeing some of my old favorites back in print, I also know DC's recent history of doom, gloom, death in destruction (it's gotta be grim and gritty in the Nu52), so I'm also a bit hesitant. Anyone else thinking of checking some of these titles out?
                    I'm interested in the larger multiverse, but I'm also interested in sending DC a message via pricing. If these two-parters are $2.99, I'll likely pick them all up. If they go the JL pricing tier, I'll pick and choose. If they try this $4.99 nonsense they've been trying to squeeze in, I'll be letting the whole thing pass by.
                    Say goodbye to gravity
                    Say goodbye to death
                    Say hello to eternity
                    And live for every breath
                    -The Wicker Man, Iron Maiden

Comment

Originally posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
                      I'm interested in the larger multiverse, but I'm also interested in sending DC a message via pricing. If these two-parters are $2.99, I'll likely pick them all up. If they go the JL pricing tier, I'll pick and choose. If they try this $4.99 nonsense they've been trying to squeeze in, I'll be letting the whole thing pass by.
                      It looks like the main books will be $4.99, so I think DC just decided for me.

Comment

Is this going to be for every DC comic?!? Does this pricing also apply to Marvel?

$4.99 (plus tax) is way, way too much!

I am glad I stopped purchasing a long, long time ago.

Comment

I know some DC titles have been running for $2.99, and there was some question about how these would be priced out, but yeah...I'm not plunking down $4.99 for a regular sized comic.

Not surprisingly, the "break" in the normal publishing schedule also coincides with the final solicits for 13 regular titles. I'm hoping the numbers are replaced with something after the short hiatus or DC's move from NY to Burbank could actually herald serious troubles for them.

The comics that will end are:

Aquaman & the Others
                          Arkham Manor
                          Batwoman
                          Green Lantern Corps
                          Green Lantern Corps: New Guardians
                          Infinity Man & the Forever People
                          Klarion
                          Red Lanterns
                          Secret Origins
                          Star-Spangled War Stories
                          Swamp Thing
                          Trinity of Sin
                          World's Finest

In addition, a couple of the weeklies will end, but that's simply a matter of the series' planned finales falling on that solicit date. Injustice, Gods Among Us: Year 3 ends as well. The assumption is Injustice, Gods Among Us: Year 4 will launch shortly thereafter.

Granted, Marvel could have an equally massive bloc of cancellations on the horizon as well, but 13 ongoing series is a pretty massive dump all at once.

Comment

If any of you actually want to send DC a message as to what you want in comics, do everything you can to make Multiversity: Thunderworld the best selling comic of 2014. Ares- you NEED to buy this comic. I am not kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Cobra View Post
                              If any of you actually want to send DC a message as to what you want in comics, do everything you can to make Multiversity: Thunderworld the best selling comic of 2014. Ares- you NEED to buy this comic. I am not kidding.
                              Thanks for posting this. I wouldn't have even looked at anything to do with this event otherwise, and I'm very glad I got to see a new, good story, featuring the "real" Captain Marvel.
                              My Deviantart page

Comment

Working...
                              X