X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assassin's Creed Unity and Rogue

So anyone pick up these two?

I have.

So far, the consensus has been that Unity is a disaster of porting with countless glitches and an un-engaging protagonist. Improvements to the former may come but I think the problems with Unity are at a story-level. How DOES one make a story about Aristocratic Assassins vs. Templar Revolutionaries make the slightest bit of sense?

Ironically, despite being viewed as a shameless cash-in for 7th generation console holdouts, everyone is saying Rogue is awesome. They say it's a bit derivative in gameplay to Assassin's Creed 4 but I think that ship sailed for Assassin's Creed awhile back.
    [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]
    [b]Twitter[/b]: Charles Phipps@Willowhugger

Re: Assassin's Creed Unity and Rogue

Originally posted by Charles Phipps View Post
    So anyone pick up these two?

I have.

So far, the consensus has been that Unity is a disaster of porting with countless glitches and an un-engaging protagonist. Improvements to the former may come but I think the problems with Unity are at a story-level. How DOES one make a story about Aristocratic Assassins vs. Templar Revolutionaries make the slightest bit of sense?

Ironically, despite being viewed as a shameless cash-in for 7th generation console holdouts, everyone is saying Rogue is awesome. They say it's a bit derivative in gameplay to Assassin's Creed 4 but I think that ship sailed for Assassin's Creed awhile back.
    Honestly, the storyline of the Assassin's Creed universe has become so bloated that its begun to collapse in on itself like a dying star. I liked Black Flag quite a bit, but that was almost entirely because of the ship-to-ship combat and ocean exploration. Doing the actual story missions was a complete drag, and I couldn't wait to get through them so I could resume buckling swashes and shivering timbers.

I think the best, most enjoyable, and most engaging Assassin's Creed game in years has been Shadow of Mordor.
    Eppur si muove

Current Characters
    Gauss - Twin Forks Defenders
    Starstorm - Established Heroes Shape the Multiverse
    Dragon Fist - Power Struggle

Comment

Originally posted by Nevius View Post
      Honestly, the storyline of the Assassin's Creed universe has become so bloated that its begun to collapse in on itself like a dying star. I liked Black Flag quite a bit, but that was almost entirely because of the ship-to-ship combat and ocean exploration. Doing the actual story missions was a complete drag, and I couldn't wait to get through them so I could resume buckling swashes and shivering timbers.

I think the best, most enjoyable, and most engaging Assassin's Creed game in years has been Shadow of Mordor.
      Which is kind of weird since they've more or less thrown out the entire story but the barest essentials.

And the actual piracy, for me, was far less fun than Edward's journey.
      [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Weird.
        For me the fun I had was in sailing around, having ship battles and robbing ships. The game always slowed down when I had to do story missions... which I honestly felt were poorly written and I didn't much enjoy.
        And came to a halt whenever they decided it was time to come out of the simulation to simulate working in a office building.

But that's all just my personal preference speaking, honestly.

Comment

It's going to be a couple weeks before I get to sit down with either of them, but I actually think I'm looking forward to Rogue more, because of all the ship elements. The boat was easily my favourite part of AssCreed 3, and it was even better in Black Flag. Attacking all the strongholds, and fighting pirate hunters. I loved finally upgrading the Jackdaw to the point where I could take down the last of the legendary boats that were in each of the four corners. I'll be happy with Rogue if they haven't changed a thing.

I'm a bit put-off by the fact that they went with British accents for the characters in Unity, considering it's set in France. You'd think Ubisoft would be able to get some French voice actors on the game.
          Punching For Justice

Comment

Originally posted by Arkrite View Post
            And came to a halt whenever they decided it was time to come out of the simulation to simulate working in a office building.
            Yeah that was a bizarre gameplay choice. One minute you're Errol Flynn-ing your way across the Caribbean, and the next minute you're taking a memo to Allen in Human Resources.
            Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

I got lost in the office at one point during a "real world" event and spent nearly ten minutes wandering to every desk in the place trying to figure out which one was mine so I could get back to playing the game.

Comment

There's a map....
                Punching For Justice

Comment

Now that would have been helpful to know earlier.

Comment

They're already porting Rogue to PC and have more or less stated they're going to be doing the same for Xbox One and PS4. The game has been really well-received.

I *LOVE* it, personally.

The Assassins get a real wake-up call from the protagonist.

Comment

This brings up an interesting idea for me; can Assassin's Creed work in the M&M system? I mean, sure the combat could be made to fit, but what about the exploration and other aspects of the gameplay? And would it be possible to make a group dynamic work with multiple Assassins?
                      Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

This brings up an interesting idea for me; can Assassin's Creed work in the M&M system? I mean, sure the combat could be made to fit, but what about the exploration and other aspects of the gameplay? And would it be possible to make a group dynamic work with multiple Assassins?
                        That's an interesting question. I imagine the M&M system would benefit from the Assassins using the upper-level human rules 5-7 PP points with only the top tier like Ezio and Altair being the Batman-level PL 10 types.

They'd probably have strike abilities too and immunity to falling damage.

:-)

Super Senses 1 for Eagle Sight?

Comment

Oh, for anyone who is interested, here's my spoiler and non-spoiler reviews of AC: Rogue.

Non-Spoiler: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blo...er-review.html

Spoiler: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blo...er-review.html

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Phipps View Post
                            That's an interesting question. I imagine the M&M system would benefit from the Assassins using the upper-level human rules 5-7 PP points with only the top tier like Ezio and Altair being the Batman-level PL 10 types.

They'd probably have strike abilities too and immunity to falling damage.

:-)

Super Senses 1 for Eagle Sight?
                            Makes a guy want to GM an AC game.

And yeah, probably high ranks of Close Attack, Improved Critical, things like Wall-Crawling 1 and Sure-Footed to represent the Free-running. Eagle Vision would be a little tricky but I feel like it's almost a Visual Detect, but I wouldn't quite know what to do for the descriptors.
                            Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

Makes a guy want to GM an AC game.

And yeah, probably high ranks of Close Attack, Improved Critical, things like Wall-Crawling 1 and Sure-Footed to represent the Free-running. Eagle Vision would be a little tricky but I feel like it's almost a Visual Detect, but I wouldn't quite know what to do for the descriptors.
                              Yeah, it's more, "Sense plot relevant stuff."

That and maybe sense hostile forces.

Good ideas, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X