• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevius
    started a topic An Aunt May Movie?

An Aunt May Movie?

The following is a transcript lifted from the Sony Offices:

Executive #1: Brent, you know that show about Batman but without Batman?
    Executive #2: I sure do, Trent. Maybe we can make a spin-off of a popular franchise but without that franchise's most iconic character.
    Executive #1: Exactly, Brent! But we've already tried to shoe-horn in Spider-Man's parents into the movies and nobody on Earth cared.
    Executive #2: I don't understand it, Trent. It's almost like people want to see Spider-Man in a Spider-Man movie. But what other Spider-Man supporting characters can we use?

*Sounds of excessive cocaine use*

Executive #2: Trent! I've got it Trent! Let's make an Aunt May spin-off! We'll make her a spy!
    Exectuive #1: Brent, you diabolical genius! Pass that cocaine bucket, Brent!

• thaumonuclear
    replied
    Re: An Aunt May Movie?

I'd say their thinking is probably "With all this free advertising and name recognition, we don't HAVE to make a good movie. Anything we make will make money."

Leave a comment:

• Horsenhero
    replied

Okay, I was reading an article today which just blew my mind. You would think that with all the free advertising internationally for the character, Sony would put more effort into making good Spider-Man movies.

What do I mean by free advertising? Simply this...Spider-man is the single most licensed super-hero on earth. While both the Avengers and Batman come close when you only consider the US and Canada, as soon as you leave North America behind, it becomes a one horse (or in this case, Spider) race. Globally, Batman is worth about $494 million dollars US, the Avengers $325 million, Superman $277 million, which are all fantastic, but Spider-Man licenses are valued at $1.3 Billion dollars. 1.3 billion dollars!

That's a massive amount of international licenses for toys, comics, cartoons, lunch boxes, t-shirts and lord knows what else.

All on Spider-Man alone. That's a heap o' name recognition that Sony can't seem to capitalize on as well as they should.

And just in case anyone is wondering, Disney's (including Marvel properties) total global licensing is valued at $41 billion dollars compared to $6 billion for Warner (including DC properties).

Holy Crap.
    Last edited by Horsenhero; 11-13-2014, 03:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nevius
    replied

Originally posted by Shock View Post
    As internet rumors go, I can't help but think this one is less reliable than most
    Sony has indeed denied the rumor.

Back to the ol' cocaine bucket.

Leave a comment:

• Shock
    replied

As internet rumors go, I can't help but think this one is less reliable than most

Leave a comment:

• Goldar
    replied

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
    I could see an Aunt May movie working.

Yah! The Golden Oldie!

Leave a comment:

• saint_matthew
    replied

Originally posted by Horsenhero View Post
    Obviously without Raimi involved they know f**k-all about how to handle the character and should just. give. up.
    Oh come on Horsenhero, don't you want to watch a movie about a spider man, in which two actors with no chemistry re-enact scenes from twilight, while battling poorly rendered CGI monsters, to the sound of dub step? When they aren't shoehorning in a whole heap of confused, uninspired pretend moralising of course?

Leave a comment:

• Horsenhero
    replied

If there was ever a reason Sony should simply "sell" Spidey back to Marvel for some up front cash and a cut of the distribution...this is it. Obviously without Raimi involved they know f**k-all about how to handle the character and should just. give. up.

Leave a comment:

• Kyle
    replied

I could see an Aunt May movie working.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X