Big Hero 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Hero 6

Saw this tonight, and it was really fun. The story is a little bit predictable, but there's still a lot going on, and I think it works well. There's some exciting moments, and some moments where I started to mist up a bit. A lot of the movie's relatively short runtime is devoted establishing the scenario, so the wacky superhero hero hijinks take a while to kick off, but 'Big Hero 6' is still engaging up to that point.

Because most of the establishment focuses on Hiro and Baymax, the other members of the team feel a little bit secondary, but they still manage to all have unique and dynamic personalities. With any luck, Disney won't wait as long to do a sequel as they have with 'The Incredibles', and we'll get to see more of the others. I really like that for the most part, they're superheroics is secondary to their being science geeks and, more importantly, good friends. The film really emphasises intelligence and creativity over punching, though there is still a some of that going on. Baymax really steals the show though. It would have been too easy for them to try and go with a plot where Baymax has a "soul" or wants to become more human, and they don't, and I think that's awesome. Baymax has very simple motivations and he never deviates from them, but the movie is stronger for it. Baymax is able to be more or less the foundation which the rest of movie is built on. There is that one scene from the teasers where he's battery is low which makes him act drunk, and that goes on a bit long, but otherwise, I really like this interpretation of the character.

I don't want to say too much about the villain of the movie, but his motivations and personality were much better established than those of some other recent superhero film antagonists -- I'm thinking specifically of Ronan and Malekith from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and 'Thor: The Dark World' respectively -- and he has a really great visual aspect.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, there is an after the credits scene. I didn't really care for it, but I know some people really will.

Anyone else had the chance to see the movie yet? What did you think?
    Punching For Justice

Re: Big Hero 6

I went to see it with some friends and we all loved it and came to the conclusion that Baymax was definitely the best part about the movie.

Personally, I can't wait to see the builds that will surely be up in the Roll Call threads soon.

And I think that the End Credits scene is hilarious. It does well as a stand-alone end credits scene, but if you pushed it, could actually be the lead-in to a sequel. I'm really hoping for a sequel. It was a very fun movie, so here's to hoping that another one comes along that might even out-do this amazing film!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
      I don't want to say too much about the villain of the movie, but his motivations and personality were much better established than those of some other recent superhero film antagonists -- I'm thinking specifically of Ronan and Malekith from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and 'Thor: The Dark World' respectively -- and he has a really great visual aspect.
      Good to hear. This was my major worry, since the trailers just show a sort of mysterious villain and don't give any inkling as to what he's all about. And the subpar villains in GotG are part of what held me back from enjoying it as much as most people. I'm glad that skimping out on the villains, just because the movie has a group of heroes, isn't becoming a trend. Hopefully I'll get to see this one soon.

Comment

Sounds like I should check this one out. My emotional attachment to the characters of Big Hero 6 is minimal, so they can't disappoint me much (unlike GotG). Also, a villain with depth goes a long way toward making a movie enjoyable for me (also unlike GotG). Then there's the "get that bad GotG taste out of my brain" factor...

Comment

Now I'm worried that I may have oversold the villain.... He's not a huge focus of the movie -- it really is the Hiro and Baymax show -- but's not just a menacing dude in a mask. He does have some very clear and human motivations.

I don't know. I really enjoyed the movie, and I think most people will as well, but I wouldn't recommend it solely on the strength of the antagonist. Malekith and Ronan do not set a bar that's difficult to clear.
          Punching For Justice

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
            Now I'm worried that I may have oversold the villain.... He's not a huge focus of the movie -- it really is the Hiro and Baymax show -- but's not just a menacing dude in a mask. He does have some very clear and human motivations.
            "NOT GotG" is almost reason enough for me to give it a chance.

The Incredibles was a lot of fun, and it's not like Syndrome was all that deep or nuanced... Unless you compare him with Malekith or Ronan, for example.

Comment

I will say that the villain Yokai (or as the trailer calls him: "The Man In The Kabuki Mask") has impressive visuals. At first it seems like a simple character design, but in practice, Yokai's abilities are quite nice.

And while Yokai's not an incredibly deep villain, there's more to the villain than just "evil bad guy with super-weapon" like Ronan had in GotG or Malekith in The Dark World.

Still, the main focus of the movie is certainly between Hiro and Baymax, and that is by far the salient aspect of the movie. Frankly, that was what made the movie so much fun and so great for me - what these two characters do throughout the film and the story, and everything that happens along the way. A cool bad-guy with some depth and awesome visuals is just icing on the cake.

As are the smorgasbord of Easter Eggs apparently littered throughout various parts of the movie. There are a ton of obscure references....

Comment

It's good. Funny how there's a ton of Disney Tropes right in the beginning (Dead Parents of course being the obvious cliché, but there's also a Smokin' Hot Mother Figure), and a lot of Frozen-like aspects (a sibling relationship is the cornerstone of the picture), but manages to be a completely different kind of movie, since it jumps more into the Superhero Story instead. And also what is this "sparing the bad guy" stuff? Don't they know that heroes in movies need to be automatically bloodthirsty these days?

Also odd is that the Supporting Cast is more of a Band of One-Noters, allowing for more depth for the VILLAIN. This is different from Guardians of the Galaxy, which focuses on the Main Cast and leaves the Villain as just some asshole with a problem.

I dug the cityscape of San Fransokyo, but found it sad that we didn't really get to SEE it too much- they flew by at super-speed most of the time.

But yes... catching freaking ORKA AND THE BLACK TALON in Fred's display case was awesome .
                Jabroniville at Hotmail dot com
                http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/index.php

Comment

For those interested, Disney announced a month or two ago that Big Hero 6 is joining Tangled in the animated series department.

Comment

I would like to see a second movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
                      But yes... catching freaking ORKA AND THE BLACK TALON in Fred's display case was awesome .

Yeah, Fred's room is overflowing with cool easter eggs. There's also the Turbo outfit (from Rom, and also, later, a character from New Warriors)
                      "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Comment

And today Disney announced the full cast for the upcoming animated series, with most of the cast from the film returning, save Damon Wayans Junior and TJ Miller.

Comment

I got Big Hero 6 on DVD a couple of weeks ago. And I completely enjoyed it.

The fact they will be doing a series of it makes me very happy. I'm just hoping it can live up to movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
                            I got Big Hero 6 on DVD a couple of weeks ago. And I completely enjoyed it.

The fact they will be doing a series of it makes me very happy. I'm just hoping it can live up to movie.
                            Well, getting the lion's share of the film's cast will certainly help, as they had a great ensemble. I am a bit curious as to why they couldn't get TJ Miller. Scheduling, I'd imagine. It's certainly not like he's adverse to doing animated series.

Comment

Originally posted by King Snarf View Post
                              Well, getting the lion's share of the film's cast will certainly help, as they had a great ensemble. I am a bit curious as to why they couldn't get TJ Miller. Scheduling, I'd imagine. It's certainly not like he's adverse to doing animated series.
                              :::wipes tears of joy:::

I love you man for this news. I really, really love you in a totally platonic way. you made what could have easly been a really bad downer day into a brighter and greater day! Thank you so much for this news!

Comment

Working...
                              X