Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 3

Link!

Captain Marvel, Black Panther, the Inhumans, and a two part Avengers: Infinity War! Sold!
    Punching For Justice

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 3

Let the moaning and groaning begin!

When I first saw the Serpent Society fake-out, I nearly wept and thought I'd gone to jobber heaven!
    Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Welp. That's awesome.
      Eppur si muove

Current Characters
      Gauss - Twin Forks Defenders
      Starstorm - Established Heroes Shape the Multiverse
      Dragon Fist - Power Struggle

Comment

Captain Marvel.....Black Panther....Captain America: Civil War....Avengers: Infinity War 1 & 2.....those are all music to my ears and I can't wait.

Inhumans...eh, I've never been a fan of them but I'm not saying anything negative. After Marvel found ways to make movies about Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy mainstream successes...as far as I'm concerned all bets are off, until they prove otherwise, anything they do has the potential to be amazing.

But the big one for me (personal bias) is Thor: Ragnarok! Man, if that flick turns out to be even half as good as the comic it's based on, then I'm going to be in fanboy heaven!

"He stood alone at Gjallerbur...and that answer is enough."
        "One must first experience pain in order to be grateful for its absence."

Comment

Anybody else look at the Captain Marvel movie and think, "They did this one because they heard DC was doing a Captain Marvel movie"?

Also, Civil War... egh... I haven't seen a (recent) Captain America movie I didn't like so far, but that title still fills me with dread.

Comment

Well they're going to really need to ramp up the number for superpowered heroes for Civil War to even make sense. I mean at the moment, there isn't a real need for superhero registration.

Everyone knows Tony Stark is Iron man. Everyone knows Steve Rogers is Captain America. Thor is Thor. Hawkeye is a dude with a bow-and-arrow. I mean with the exception of the Hulk, the world has the superhero thing very well in-hand.

I'm sure they're going to blow it all up with the inclusion of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (although my understanding is that the MCU isn't allowed to refer to them as "mutants") but still...
            Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

Originally posted by Nevius View Post
              Well they're going to really need to ramp up the number for superpowered heroes for Civil War to even make sense. I mean at the moment, there isn't a real need for superhero registration.

Everyone knows Tony Stark is Iron man. Everyone knows Steve Rogers is Captain America. Thor is Thor. Hawkeye is a dude with a bow-and-arrow. I mean with the exception of the Hulk, the world has the superhero thing very well in-hand.

I'm sure they're going to blow it all up with the inclusion of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (although my understanding is that the MCU isn't allowed to refer to them as "mutants") but still...
              Agreed, they really should branch off some of the other titles and build there world (including the idea of a larger number of people in that world with powers) and then do Civil War at a later point, but we'll see I guess.
              Classic car restoring, gun owning, martial arts practicing, military, gamer geek, kinky lesbian IT chick (has your brain exploded yet?)
              [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1835-Digital-s-Daemons"]My character library[/URL]

Comment

I imagine 'Civil War' will stray from the source material rather significantly. 'Age of Ultron' doesn't appear to have anything to do with the comic of the same title, other than that Ultron is the primary antagonist. There might be some of the same themes -- hero vs. hero, and more specifically Cap vs. Iron Man -- but beyond that, I can't see that story fitting into the MCU as it stands.
                Punching For Justice

Comment

Inhumans, Doctor Strange, and Thor: Ragnarok are the most interesting on that list to me, though my brother tells me I should be excited for the guy they cast as Black Panther. I just hope the more "out-there" films can really do their own thing and not feel too same-y as most of the early Marvel offerings did (the eternal "do it like Iron Man" attitude that, while not nearly as bad as DC's "Everything must be The Dark Knight" thought process, still rubs me the wrong way).

Comment

I'd say they are straying a bit more from that. While they definitely have a house style, Winter Soldier and Guardians strayed a bit more from it, and I think were much better for finding an identity of their own, while still trying to feel like a part of that universe. While Thor 2 definitely felt like it tried to play to that too much, and fell flat.

What concerns me is three movies per year in 2016, 17 and 18. Hopefully they can keep up the quality and not run the general public ragged.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                      Captain Marvel, Black Panther, the Inhumans, and a two part Avengers: Infinity War! Sold!
                      Oh oh oh, lets add in Doctor Strange to that list & play "which one of these movies is going to flop the hardest." My heart says Black Panther, but my brain says Doctor Strange.... I'm going to go with Doctor Strange.... Inhumans could either be really good, or they'll pull a Guardians of the Galaxy & it'll be really bad, either way it'll be enjoyable..... Either as a good movie, or as a train wreck for us all to sit around and complain about , ahem I mean "deconstruct" afterwards.

Originally posted by Nevius View Post

Welp. That's awesome.
                      Really? Because all I can see looking at this costume is a series of pissed off movie costume designers annoyed that the original real costume was so well designed that the only thing they had left to do was to once again add needless texturing to the costume, while techifying things that don't need to be obtrusive tech, to justify their pay checks.

Less sculptured rubber would be nice: You literally have open to you the entire range of materials ever invented by human beings, don't immediately default to the unmoving rubber batman costume style & just call it a day.

When it comes to texturing a costume guys, less is more & should exist almost exclusively to show different areas of the costume.... This 10 billion line texture atrocity needs to burn in the same hell as the Superman S being made up of smaller Superman S logos from Superman Returns. If it aint broke don't fix it.
                      Last edited by saint_matthew; 10-28-2014, 05:51 PM.
                      “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Determining which movie will flop at this point is impossible- they turned a friggin' movie featuring a talking raccoon and a tree into the BIGGEST HIT OF 2014. Their track record proves itself. And Guardians was awesome and full of killer tunes, and if you disagree you are a bad person.

The detailing on the Panther costume (which of course is a prototype and might not be the real thing in the movie) is good for showing up on-camera and in different kinds of lighting. A simple black jumpsuit/spandex would look too cheap & simple.
                        Jabroniville at Hotmail dot com
                        http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
                          Determining which movie will flop at this point is impossible
                          Impossible, but fun.... An its not like that's ever stopped us from speculating in the past.

- they turned a friggin' movie featuring a talking raccoon and a tree into the BIGGEST HIT OF 2014. Their track record proves itself. And Guardians was awesome and full of killer tunes, and if you disagree you are a bad person.
                          It's okay, I've been a bad person for a while, I've mostly come to terms with it.

The detailing on the Panther costume (which of course is a prototype and might not be the real thing in the movie) is good for showing up on-camera and in different kinds of lighting. A simple black jumpsuit/spandex would look too cheap & simple.
                          There's no problem in using textures, but the texture has to serve a purpose & needs to be done in moderation.

Don't get me wrong, you can use textures, but the textures need to improve the overall costume design, not draw away from the costume & personally I think the Black Panther costumes use of textures is the Superhero equivalent of the Michael Bay transformers redesign: It introduces unnecessary complexity with no addition to the visual appeal. If they had decided to use the texturing to show joint articulation that would have been a reasonable usage of texturing, or even piping (love me some piping).

Less is more when it comes to texturing.
                          “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

I like the texturing on the concept art. It doesn't look like it's supposed to be moulded muscle or armouring, just a specific pattern picked out in black slightly darker black.

It does look like the head gear is a completely different material than the rest of the costume. It looks more like a helmet than just a mask, which has me kind of wary. While I hope they do showcase that T'Challa is a genius inventor to rival Tony Stark, it would be a shame if they did the same high-tech in the helmet view they do for Iron Man and Iron Patriot, because it would draw needless comparisons. T'Challa's equipment should be distinct from Tony's.
                            Punching For Justice

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post

Don't get me wrong, you can use textures, but the textures need to improve the overall costume design, not draw away from the costume & personally I think the Black Panther costumes use of textures is the Superhero equivalent of the Michael Bay transformers redesign: It introduces unnecessary complexity with no addition to the visual appeal. If they had decided to use the texturing to show joint articulation that would have been a reasonable usage of texturing, or even piping (love me some piping).

Less is more when it comes to texturing.
                              Pace yourself saint_matthew. It's going to be a few years before you actually see the movies, and you want to have some nits left to pick.
                              Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

Working...
                              X