Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Strange casting

http://deadline.com/2014/10/benedict...e-cast-862815/

Looks like it is all but a lock for the Sorcerer Supreme to be played by none other than Khan-Noonien-Smaug-Holmes himself; Bandicoot Cabbagepatch. A fine actor and certainly a name-draw to nobody's favorite character, Dr. Strange. I guess Marvel is finally going full-on magic.

Let us consider this casting by coming up with funny permutations of his name.
    Eppur si muove

Current Characters
    Gauss - Twin Forks Defenders
    Starstorm - Established Heroes Shape the Multiverse
    Dragon Fist - Power Struggle

Re: Doctor Strange casting

Originally posted by Nevius View Post
    http://deadline.com/2014/10/benedict...e-cast-862815/

Looks like it is all but a lock for the Sorcerer Supreme to be played by none other than Khan-Noonien-Smaug-Holmes himself; Bandicoot Cabbagepatch. A fine actor and certainly a name-draw to nobody's favorite character, Dr. Strange. I guess Marvel is finally going full-on magic.

Let us consider this casting by coming up with funny permutations of his name.
    I don't know... he's a good actor I guess. But... I don't know, I just can't see him rocking Strange's facial hair.

Could be me. I kinda turned on Cumberbatch after him being cast as Khan, which isn't in any way his fault, and not even the worst of Into Darkness' problems.

Comment

Mr. Cumberbatch's name does invite...tinkering....

Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

This is the first time I've been completely baffled by one of the MCU casting choices. Cumberbatch is a fine actor, and I really enjoy him on 'Sherlock' -- well, not so much season three, but I don't think the problems there were his fault -- but there's nothing about his performances to make me think he'd be a good fit for Dr. Strange's personality, and he certainly doesn't have the right look.

Of course, it could be that the Stephen Strange of the MCU is going to be a departure from that of the comics, which would be fine, but Cumberbatch doing an American accent with Strange's moustache and white streaks sounds terrible.
        Punching For Justice

Comment

I would have voted for Joachin Phoenix:

Comment

It's hard to argue with that concept art, but apparently the casting talks with Joachin Phoenix were all sound and fury signifying nothing.
            Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

Hmn. You've only listed what Cumberbatch is famous for - he's done a lot more as an actor as far as I've heard. Granted, I don't know much about him past those roles he was famous for, but who knows, it could put an interesting spin on the character.

I mean, one could imagine that Cumberbatch's depiction of Sherlock Holmes could be a pointer as to his capability for portraying the supremely talented and arrogant intellectual. And wasn't Stephen Strange one of those men in the beginning? A arrogant surgeon (an intellectual sort) who was so talented yet so full of hubris that he only took high profile or wealthy clients and only took other patients whose problems would put his name in more medical journals.

Besides, I doubt that having Cumberbatch with a goatee will be that bad. He's got the high cheekbones, the calculating eyes, and has shown he is capable of looking very impressive with CGI (not sure if Smaug counts though...). Nevertheless, I can say that while it's probably rather unexpected, I'm at least hopeful... I liked him in Sherlock, and it should be interesting to see Cumberbatch portray the role of the formerly world reknown surgeon, now Master of the Mystic Arts...

I'm also betting that casting him is going to get a whole lot more people interested in the character as people who have previously never really looked at Doctor Strange start to take a really damn good look at him, now that that news is out.

Comment

I call shenanigans on that concept art though. That's not Joaquin Phoenix. That's Dr. Strange with Phoenix's eyes. The whole shape of his face below the bridge of the nose looks nothing like him.

I think if this turns out to be solid, and they actually do cast Beneficent Cumber-bunt (Nevius! ) it'll work out fine. Dude is an amazingly good actor, and has the ability to deliver the gravitas necessary to sell the more out there aspects of Dr. Strange's mythos. They could've done far, far worse than him for the role.

Also...FWIW, I like that he seems to be the kind that doesn't take himself as seriously as his image would imply. Here's a link to him on The Graham Norton show where he does a spot on Jar Jar Binks impersonation, and yet can't say the word "penguin" It's funny stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlRpLGEwssA
                "One must first experience pain in order to be grateful for its absence."

Comment

Amusingly Yahoo is using fan art from Ronnie Thunderbolts (AKA Jared) instead of an actual official Marvel image to represent Strange...
                  Last edited by Bladewind; 10-28-2014, 06:54 AM.
                  [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                  [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                  [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

I can only hope, hope, hope they go with the Ditko surreal mystic landscapes. Anything less and I will be i r a t e.

Comment

Not hard to imagine that they'll go straight origin story, and have Bandersnatch Cuttlefish being the introduction to the mystical world of Marvel. What I'm wondering is if they go with something similar to the depiction in the Dr. Strange animated movie, where the magic is a bit more subdued, or if they go full-out balls-to-the-walls magic.

It will also be interesting to see what role the Sorcerer Supreme plays in the greater MCU.
                      Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

It's official, it's Bandercoot Cumberstrange

Comment

I for one am excited for Battleship Chamberlain as Doc Strange.
                          Eppur si muove

Current Characters

Comment

Someone get the MST3K guys to do a "David Ryder" on this XD
                            My Deviantart page

Comment

the guy who plays pyter balish in GoT would have been great as Dr Strange

Comment

Working...
                              X