Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constantine TV series

So did anyone catch this last night?

I wrote my review of it on the Bookie Monster website but I was curious how many other fans of Hellblazer decided to tune in. Personally, I think it's about as close as you're going to get to the character on network television (which is closer than I expected).

Still, it seems like they shied away from even hitting as dark and scary as Supernatural was able to hit during its early seasons. It felt a little too comic-booky and clean, which is not right for the grimiest and darkest comic book ever written for a major publication.

OTOH, I think Matt Ryan did an excellent job as John Constantine and if he sounds a little too much like Edward Kenway/Welsh to be Britain's most recognizable antihero then he's still a helluva lot closer than Keanu Reeves. I also like how they kept John's signature event in the Newcastle Incident plus that he's willing to screw other people over in order to do the ostensible greater good.

Doctor Fate's helmet was a surprise, too.
    [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]
    [b]Twitter[/b]: Charles Phipps@Willowhugger

Re: Constantine TV series

Got it on DVR, just haven't gotten around to checking it out yet. I plan on watching it soon.
    "One must first experience pain in order to be grateful for its absence."

Comment

It had some flaws but I and the friend I watched it with both liked it.

I know next to nothing about the source material though. Ryan is definitely the best part of the show, and that's a good thing, it'll help him bolster up weak writing and the like. I was never that impressed by Harold Perrineau in anything else I've seen him, but he seems pretty good here. I did really like when he first showed up you see his wings in full display-not hints of wings, not the shadow of wings or a feather here or there, full extended angel wings.

However, its time slot is historically not too great (about the only show on NBC I can remember lasting is Hannibal which is amazing but underwatched and under-rated) for continued existence.

They're going to be dropping the Liv character as a sidekick for someone actually from the comics and a little more on John's level so to speak, so that will change the character dynamic a bit.
      [I]Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart![/I]

Comment

To be honest I wasn't sure what to expect from this show as I know very little about John Constantine but so far I have enjoyed it. It does feel similar to the early series of Supernatural.

In the last episode was Detective Corrigan in 2 places at the same time helping take some of the relatives to Papa Midnight & Constantine but also with Zed on the highway?

Comment

Yeah, I've been reviewing the series every episode.

http://bookie-monster.com/tag/constantine
          [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Good reviews and I agree the series is picking up, hopefully they can maintain the momentum.

Comment

So I bought the season on Amazon and I'm working on finishing it.

Why the sam hell is this not being talked about more? This is great.

Comment

It's a good series, but I don't think the network went "all in" supporting it. There are rumors floating around that if it gets cancelled, scyfy might pick it up, but I guess we'll see.

Comment

It would be a great fit on Syfy, but I wish it could go to CW.

Who am I kidding. I wish they'd just cancel everything on CW and make it the DCW.

Comment

I've been really enjoying it. But then again, every time they say Constantine, I hear Dresden.

Comment

I haven't really been able to get into it. The show isn't bad, but it's just not doing anything for me.
                      Punching For Justice

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
                        I've been really enjoying it. But then again, every time they say Constantine, I hear Dresden.
                        But John doesn't act anything like Harry.

Comment

Shhhhhh. Neither did Harry in Dresden. Let me have my delusions

Comment

For me this has been the superhero show that I am enjoying the most this year.

Comment

Here's my review of the first season: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blo...ne-review.html

My general opinion of Constantine is it really is oddball because it's the Dresden Files not Constantine. Harry is this quirky, guilt-ridden, humorous, quippy guy who hangs around with Angels and ridiculously hot women who he doesn't have sex with. He drives around in an alleged car and does his very best to achieve the best possible result with badly-phrased Latin.

Kind of hilarious, that.

I will say, though, for every bad episode there was a good episode. Also, the episodes with Anna Marie weren't good. They were GREAT.

Comment

Working...
                              X