The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl!

Can't...*pant*...contain...*hyperventilate*...exci tement...

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Announced!

There's just no way that can't be the greatest comic ever produced. I predict 10 straight Eisner Awards. The only problem is finding characters powerful enough to give her a decent fight. Maybe if they have Galactus team up with 5-6 Celestials, they might have a chance at an upset.
    The Thorpacolypse
    Member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent since 2005
    Co-Chair of the Council of 13
    "Hate you can trust"

Re: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl!

I approve the concept but... ugh, that art... what the heck did they do to Squirrel Girl?

Comment

Originally posted by Thorpacolypse View Post
      Can't...*pant*...contain...*hyperventilate*...exci tement...

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Announced!

There's just no way that can't be the greatest comic ever produced. I predict 10 straight Eisner Awards. The only problem is finding characters powerful enough to give her a decent fight. Maybe if they have Galactus team up with 5-6 Celestials, they might have a chance at an upset.
      I'm kinda guessing this will more focus on Doreen just being herself. Which is kinda what you have to do if you're gonna make a series out of joke character like this. Outside of Bugs Bunny and Popeye, literally no one can challenge her. So I'd say focus it on her life, with the occasional bit of outlandish super-heroics for fun.

Originally posted by Arkrite View Post
      I approve the concept but... ugh, that art... what the heck did they do to Squirrel Girl?
      I kinda like the costume update. It mixes elements of the original with something a little less classically super-heroey, more something a person could wear, which seems to be the theme of costumes in the last ten years or so. Agree or disagree with that trend, I think it's a decent modernization.

Comment

I laughed when I saw this annoucement and Immediately thought of Thorp. While I doubt they'll be able to maintain her world beating performances and still keep the book interesting, I believe Marvel knows that a genre savvy, self-aware book with an oddball sense of humor may be a necessary salve for certain fans... if the rumors that Deadpool is due for a dirtnap are true.

Not that I assume Doreen will be breaking the fourth wall on a regular basis, but my guess is the book will possess an occasional wink at the reading audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkrite View Post
          That's exactly what I said: That is some hideous, HIDEOUS artwork. There is no way I would invest in a comic with artwork this bad.... Because while artwork doesn't make a comic it sure as hell can break a comic.
          “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

I'm down. Squirrel Girl is a fun character, Ryan North is hilarious, and Erica Henderson is a really skilled artist. It looks like a lot of fun. Also, I miss the days of mid-90s when every Marvel character from Black Knight to Fing Fang Foom wore a bomber jacket.
            Punching For Justice

Comment

I'm excited. I've heard a lot about Squirrel Girl, but never actually read anything with her in it .(any suggestions?)
              I like to have some less serious stuff in my comics mix, this could be good.
              Apprentice Mastermind:
              Assorted Builds: [url]https://calubrecht.us/mutantsAndMasterminds/miscreants.html[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
                That's exactly what I said: That is some hideous, HIDEOUS artwork. There is no way I would invest in a comic with artwork this bad.... Because while artwork doesn't make a comic it sure as hell can break a comic.
                What IS it exactly with Marvel and the artwork on the books these days!!? I can think of multiple titles in the last 2-3 years which I simply could not bring myself to check out because of the artwork being either atrocious or just not suitable at all for action-oriented superhero titles-the first run of Captain Marvel (though that book was just bad anyway), Black Widow, Hawkeye, She-Hulk (all books reviewed as having strong writing and characterization), and now this (I'm a big GLA fan, so otherwise I would be interested). Even the FF book with Mike Allred almost counts as this, but at least the character just looked a bit odd, not ugly and off-putting. I'm not sure what Marvel is going for with this approach, especially with books featuring lesser known properties.

Comment

Originally posted by thaumonuclear View Post
                  I'm excited. I've heard a lot about Squirrel Girl, but never actually read anything with her in it .(any suggestions?)
                  I like to have some less serious stuff in my comics mix, this could be good.
                  The Dan Slot Great Lakes Avengers mini-series, GLA: MISASSEMBLED is probably the source of a lot of her current popularity. It's fun book that was a send up of some of the more violent stories coming out around the same time, specifically IDENTITY CRISIS and AVENGERS: DISASSEMBLED.

Originally posted by greycrusader View Post
                  What IS it exactly with Marvel and the artwork on the books these days!!? I can think of multiple titles in the last 2-3 years which I simply could not bring myself to check out because of the artwork being either atrocious or just not suitable at all for action-oriented superhero titles-the first run of Captain Marvel (though that book was just bad anyway), Black Widow, Hawkeye, She-Hulk (all books reviewed as having strong writing and characterization), and now this (I'm a big GLA fan, so otherwise I would be interested). Even the FF book with Mike Allred almost counts as this, but at least the character just looked a bit odd, not ugly and off-putting. I'm not sure what Marvel is going for with this approach, especially with books featuring lesser known properties.
                  Obviously it's a matter of taste, but all those books are gorgeous. I love the fact that Marvel doesn't really have a house style any more, and they frequently attempt to find an artist who's work matches the tone of the story being told. There is a downside in that if they ever need a fill-in artist or replacement, it can be a bit jarring, especially in the middle of a story, but it's better than the alternative of everything looking generic and homogeneous.
                  Punching For Justice

Comment

Originally posted by greycrusader View Post
                    Yep, in a visual medium you put your best foot forward, you don't hamstring your own properties by cursing them with terrible artwork. This seems to be all part of marvels stated goal of diversity, in this case diversity of art styles, but I don't think marvel quite realised that that only works with a diverse range of good art styles: Because otherwise all you've got is a diverse range of ugly art work.

A lot (but not all of it) of it has to do with Marvels business decision a year or so ago to use cheaper foreign artists to cut down on costs. don't get me wrong, there are some fabulous foreign artists, such as Mariano Navarro, but mainly it was done to get cheap labour & it shows.

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    but it's better than the alternative of everything looking generic and homogeneous.
                    Ah no, because the opposite of hideous artwork is not generic and homogeneous, the opposite of hideous artwork is "not hideous" artwork or arguably even good artwork.
                    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

I think the artwork is Marvel's attempt to create something akin to Atomic Robo.. light-hearted and fun.

I applaud the attempt to do something different, but its not enough to get me on board.
                      "Oh poop!" (inexact translation) Author Unknown, Pompeii circa 79 A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
                        Ah no, because the opposite of hideous artwork is not generic and homogeneous, the opposite of hideous artwork is "not hideous" artwork or arguably even good artwork.
                        Well, I guess there's no accounting for taste.
                        Punching For Justice

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                          Well, I guess there's no accounting for taste.
                          Not really. Sure we could argue the merits of good art versus bad art, starting with recognition of artistic merit which is determined subjectively & then move on to the objective side with recognised technical skill, but that still would be moot, since good art work still wouldn't be generic and homogeneous.

Arguably Bruce Timm & Michael Avon Oeming both have what could arguably be called a good art style, a style very different from say Leonard Kirk. But they both arguably have a good art style: There's actually a lot of diversity in good art work, which goes back to the previous point I made about diversity of art only being any good if you have a diverse range of GOOD art, otherwise diversity is not a selling point, you'd just be selling my ugly art on the basis that you are providing me with many different sorts of ugly art.

-Doctor Who

Comment

Art is relative. I know people that hail Mike Allred as one of the great comic artists of our time, and others who think it's the worst crap they've ever seen. Hell, I used to hate Jack Kirby's art for a long time. I still don't care for Mike Mignola's art, though I can see where that's personal taste and that he is a good artist.

Comment

For the record, I like the light-hearted, more cartoony art style. To me, Squirrel Girl has always been about poking fun out of people who take superhero comics SO seriously, to the point where it stops being fun. Seeing a major badass like Dr Doom taken down by a peppy girl and her army of squirrels has always been funny to me.
                              Eppur si muove

Current Characters
                              Gauss - Twin Forks Defenders
                              Starstorm - Established Heroes Shape the Multiverse
                              Dragon Fist - Power Struggle

Comment

Working...
                              X