Arrow Season 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Season 3

So apparently season 3 of Arrow starts up again in 5 days, so I've been binge viewing the episodes on my DVR, before I delete them.... There really are some really big flaws in that first season & I'm not talking story flaws, I'm talking common sense flaws, like when Oliver tries to chase down a guy on a motorcycle on foot, even though he himself just got off a motorcycle & was standing right next to it, on the very street where the enemy motorcycle was.

Luckily Season 2 got rid of a lot of those kinds of stupid things, here's hoping season 3 is even better.
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Re: Arrow Season 3

Yeah, I've never seen a show turn around as much as Arrow did between seasons 1 and 2. I tried watching Arrow when it first came on and I thought it was horrible and stopped, but something got me curious about it again and I binged about halfway through the first season to catch up and started following along. They've done well at abandoning most of the really annoying "CW Angsty Teen Drama" elements that felt out of place from Standard Superhero Family Drama. Also, Deathstroke's outfit in the second season was impressive.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the League of Assassins, the Suicide Squad, and of course, the main crew. They've made some interesting casting choices (both in terms of which characters were going to see and who is going to portray them) this season, and I'm excited to see what they have in mind.

Comment

So...this whole episode was pretty much filler right up until the very last scene. Not the best way to open a season.

New Count Vertigo - Why is it in superhero fiction, people intentionally buy and consume drugs that make them feel terrible? No one does that! That is not an accurate portrayal of the mindset of anyone who engages in illegal narcotics use, from folks who occasionally smoke weed to hardcore heroin addicts. No one! This is a trope that I've only ever seen in superhero fiction.

Allow me, if you will, a dramatic re-enactment of how the conversation between a drug dealer selling vertigo, and anyone looking to purchase drugs for recreational use.

Count Vertigo: Drugs for sale! Drugs for sale! Ladies and gentlemen, purchase your drugs right here. Drugs for sale!

Haggard Junkie: Hello there, my good man. Did I hear correctly that you are engaging in the sale of narcotics?

CV: Your hearing did not fail you, Sir.

HJ: Bully! Tell me about your wares.

CV: Why, I carry only the highest quality illegal narcotics in all of Starling City! Have you heard of vertigo?

HJ: Vertigo? Yes, I do believe I have. Vertigo is the green and black pills that induce feelings of dizziness and nausea, not unlike its namesake, is that right?

CV: Right you are!

HJ: Sounds ghastly to me. Can't imagine why anyone would want to feel that way.

CV: I couldn't agree more. Which is why this new vertigo, specially produced by myself, Count Vertigo, has a special extra additive!

HJ: Do tell!

CV: This new vertigo also contains a hallucinogenic fungus that makes you see your worst nightmares, while still inducing the dizziness and nausea. It's a triple threat!

HJ: Good sir, I do believe you're mistaken in your assumption as to why people do drugs at all. Tell me, could you direct me to the nearest distributor of crack cocaine?
      Peter Stormare is a fun actor, but the plot for the new Count Vertigo seems as though it was tossed together at the last minute.

Maybe at some point they'll reveal he's actually exiled eastern European royalty out to kill his niece and steal her throne, or have some mad scientist kidnap him and hook his brain up to a machine that gives him vertigo powers, but until then, I'm not really seeing the point of introducing a new Count.

Ollie & Felicity - Ugh.

The Atom - Ray Palmer had more on screen chemistry with Felicity in his first minute than Ollie did over the past two seasons. Still, I'm not sure that the show can handle to awkward, bumbling, incredibly good looking nerds speaking to one another in stilted tech terms and initialisms.

Ollie & Dig - The previews for this season made it seem like there was going to be a lot of tension between the two after Oliver benches Diggle now that he's a father. I'm glad to see that they at least managed to get past the first episode of the season without Ollie having to once again learn the true meaning of friendship.

Flashbacks - Hey, it's Katana! Also, Amanda Waller is terrible at motivating people.

The Big Shocking Cliffhanger - SPOILERS! Maybe I'm naive, but I really did not expect them to kill off one of the few characters on the show who's actually likeable. I guess they're going to actually make Laurel Black Canary, which I'm not sold on, because she's pretty much the least likeable character. Ra's al Ghul will be showing up this season, so maybe it's not too much to hope Sara might see the inside of a Lazarus Pit?

My guess would be that Thea's the one who killed Sara. Five months under the care and tutelage of Malcolm Merlyn seems like a quick turnaround for her to become a murdering, archery themed supervillain, but none of the other archers on the show really make much sense. The other option would be a character who's yet to be introduced, but that seems like fairly poor storytelling.
      END SPOILERS!
      Punching For Justice

Comment

I don't think the new Vertigo was supposed to be sold, I think he designed it as a poison and weapon. Cause we never see him try to sell the new stuff.

Anyway, I always assumed the original Vertigo must have some pleasurable effect, with the vertigo like effects being an aftereffect. Though one must not discount the idea that it merely become fashionable in certain circles and people were stupid enough to keep buying it because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
          I don't think the new Vertigo was supposed to be sold, I think he designed it as a poison and weapon. Cause we never see him try to sell the new stuff.
          Sure, but at the meeting where Peter Stormare is first introduced as the new Count, he's explicitly called out as being a drug dealer before he murders the crime boss[?] and takes over the organization. Maybe that particular strain of vertigo isn't meant to be sold, but the only time the show has ever depicted anyone enjoying the effects of the drug was when the assistant DA was going through withdrawal symptoms and the first Count dosed him on television.
          Punching For Justice

Comment

I'm torn.

On one hand, this episode was kind of a mess. Characters were all over the place, the flashback scenes didn't really make any progress, and everything that happened was a bit too convenient even by the standards of a show where one of the main characters is able to perform what amounts to magic with her Windows 8™ tablet.

However, on the other hand, there was a dirtbike mounted archery duel.

I also had a flare of excitement when Dig mentioned there were 20 or so archers in the A.R.G.U.S. database. You guys, I really, really like archery themed superheroes and villains. I cannot wait for Rainbow Archer to show up.
            Punching For Justice

Comment

Personally, I didn't mind the first two episodes so much. Yes, there were some errors and plot holes, but I honestly think they're just setting the table for the rest of the season. Laurel now has a clear motivation to become Black Canary. In pursuit of that goal, she'll start training with Ted Grant. Thea is coming back to make the world miserable for Oliver and Roy. Ray Palmer is going to succeed at everything Oliver claimed he was going to do for the city in the first two seasons and failed to do and he's going to supply Felicity with a conversational partner who actually responds without looking like speaking is causing him pain. We've met Katana and her (doomed) husband and child, so the flashbacks should be interesting. I assume as usual they will relate to the "present day" story in some manner as always and somewhere about episode 4 or 5, Ra's Al Ghul ought to start making his presence known to the viewer, if not the team. And somewhere in the midst of this there will be a crossover with the Flash (episodes 5 & 6 I think).

This business about benching Diggle has got to stop though.

Overall, I'm anxious to see how it all shakes out. Characterwise it's going to be a bit crowded, but not every character has to appear in every episode, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Oh and I chuckled over Diggles' discovery of the sheer number of archery themed assassins.

Comment

I liked this episode. Definitely a step up from the first two this season.

My only complaint is that the showrunners seem to have conveniently forgotten that Laurel used to be fairly competent in a fight. I can think of at least one scene in each of the prior seasons where she took on guys bigger and better armed than herself, but here she got beat by a drunk despite having a bat and getting in the first swing. Oh, also, did they really need to make Ted Grant young & sexy? I'm sure they're going make him a romantic interest for Laurel, but in my heart Wildcat will always be grizzled and past his prime.
                Punching For Justice

Comment

I didn't mind it all so much and I liked the shout out to Tomcat...Tommy Bronson. All in all, the first few episodes have been building nicely. Next comes the return of Nyssa Al Ghul, which will through a confrontation with Malcom Merlyn open the way for the arrival of Ra's, since he's this season's big bad.

Comment

I did get excited when Nyssa showed up at the end of the episode. Her episodes in season two were some of my favourite, even if her introduction was completely ridiculous.

Also, I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe, it was Thea who killed Sara. Which means I don't really have a clue at this point. I still don't think it was Merlyn or Huntress, because Sara would have reacted a with a lot more hostility if either of them showed up on the roof, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Ollie or Nyssa. So, the other established archer characters on the show are: Komodo who was a poor misidrection at best, Shado and Accomplished Perfect Physician are both dead, and Roy.

Unless I'm forgetting a character, that means either Roy or someone we haven't been introduced to yet killed Sara, and neither option seems great from a storytelling perspective.
                    Punching For Justice

Comment

Yeah, I'm of the opinion it was either Malcom or Thea, though it could have been another member of the League of Assassins. Perhaps even Ra's himself, but given that he has yet to be introduced that revelation would have little emotional impact.

Given Sara's reaction, Thea seems the most likely candidate.

Also, is it just me or is Lyla turning out to be just a bit...manipulative.
                      Last edited by Horsenhero; 10-22-2014, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Annoyingly I've pretty much lost all interest in Arrow over the last 2 episodes. We've gone from last seasons episode structure of individual stories telling parts of a larger story, and its just become a game of which one of Ollies lies to friends, family & allies that will inevitably come back to bite you in the arse later in the season are the biggest lies, there by taking away more time from actual plot.... Yawn, bored now.... An to think that first episode had such promise, only to immediately squander it with non plots in the next two episodes.

I mean you build this playground, you've populated it with all the best toys & before even playing with it you look at it & say "I know, instead of playing here let's go watch paint dry."

Come on WB, you can do better than this.

Same with Ollies personality: Its going backwards, he's actually lost personality since last season.
                        Last edited by saint_matthew; 10-23-2014, 12:55 AM.
                        “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Im half expecting the killer to be Tommy Merlyn, brought back by Lazarus Pit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormson View Post
                            Im half expecting the killer to be Tommy Merlyn, brought back by Lazarus Pit.
                            Given how the series has been going for shock spectacle over solid writing, I could believe that.

-Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by Horsenhero View Post
                              Yeah, I'm of the opinion it was either Malcom or Thea, though it could have been another member of the League of Assassins. Perhaps even Ra's himself, but given that he has yet to be introduced that revelation would have little emotional impact.

Given Sara's reaction, Thea seems the most likely candidate.
                              And in the opening scene, there was the new clue that there was a woman on the scene. Perhaps Daddy had a little graduation test for Thea?
                              Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat

Comment

Working...
                              X