Leaving Megalopolis - Anyone read it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving Megalopolis - Anyone read it?

Originally released digitally and available in print later this year via Dark Horse, Leaving Megalopolis is a story by Gail Simone that does something interesting. There have been plenty of 'superheroes go crazy' stories in the past, but they're generally told from the POV of other superheroes. Here, we get the experience from the civilians, and it's amazing. This practically demands being made into a film.

I don't want to give too much away, but it was a pleasant surprise to me. On the surface, this might sound like another 'wallowing in the dark' story we've gotten in the last 4 or 5 years, but at it's core, it's a rejection of the whole Grim n Gritty thing and is a message about hope. There's one scene, right at the end, that really hits me as a fan of classic heroes. I can't speak for everyone, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Anyone else check it out?
    [U][B]Custom Settings[/B][/U]__________________________________
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/236-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series?p=4519#post4519"]Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/139-The-Mean-Streets-of-Magic-and-Other-Extraordinary-Thinggs"]The Mean Streets of Magic and Other Extraordinary Things[/URL]
    [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]Ares' Builds - [/URL][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1801-Ares-Builds-The-Marvel-Family-and-Megaverse-The-Animated-Series"]The Marvel Family and Megaverse: The Animated Series[/URL]

Re: Leaving Megalopolis - Anyone read it?

Hmmmmmmmm, I did read it yesterday & while it wasn't bad, I did take issue with some of the pretty big flaws in it (or more to the point a whole heap of really little flaws, adding up to form a big flaw). Yes everything you said was accurate about the quality off the work but I got annoyed at the inconsistency of the superhero side of the plot, on both the writing & art side.

Simple things like why is the Superman pastiche wearing a big concrete circle on his chest? It was the logo on his comic book, but its not part of his costume in his own book, nor was he wearing it when he fought the Cthulian horror monster. On the story side what really bugged me was the inconsistency of the threat: Why does Superman pastiche kill two of the other ex-heroes, while being on the same side as them? Why does the flash pastiche look like a super speed zombie when no one else looks like a zombie? An most of all, why did they all go evil all of a sudden? They don't appear to be possessed, nor do they appear to have gone gibberingly insane. What is the motivation behind capturing the city? What is the motivation behind the kindling? What happened to the monster they were fighting? Why do that whole masquerade thing? Why wait until the bridge to press the button, is it just to be dickish?

I'm sure there are answers, but they just weren't present in the material & that bugged me. In a story about motivations the underlying motivation of the stories main instigating event is absent. It left me feeling more than a little gipped, like I'd been cheated out of the main story: it felt like reading a comic book version of lost.

Generally it was okay, but the superhero side let down the story considerably in my opinion.

EDIT: I also read Midnight Tiger, I quite enjoyed that.
    Last edited by saint_matthew; 09-19-2014, 11:32 PM.
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

I read it on a whim, and it didn't do much for me. Gail Simone's writing just doesn't do much for me. I don't think she's bad but it's been a long time since I read anything Simone wrote that I enjoyed. Adding the oppressive, grim & gritty evil superhero angle just made reading through the thing an unpleasant slog.

Jim Califore's art doesn't help either. He doesn't put enough effort into differentiating faces, which in most superhero books is mitigated by the distinctly costumes. When the characters are all regular people in regular clothes, it's pretty easy to mix up some of them. There's the moment where the German dude shows up to explain what's going on in the high rise, and I'm still not sure if the associated panels showed him participating despite his claims to the contrary -- which would be more interesting -- or if it was just some other dude with glasses.

Not a book I'd recommend.
      Punching For Justice

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
        Gail Simone's writing just doesn't do much for me. I don't think she's bad but it's been a long time since I read anything Simone wrote that I enjoyed.
        Gen 13 for me.... Nothing more recent comes to mind... Welcome to Tranquillity was a clever concept too. That was 2007 & nothing newer comes to mind.
        “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”

-Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by saint_matthew View Post
          Gen 13 for me.... Nothing more recent comes to mind... Welcome to Tranquillity was a clever concept too. That was 2007 & nothing newer comes to mind.
          I read BIRDS OF PREY for a while, and I liked the first SECRET SIX mini. Still, I have really fond memories of her You'll All Be Sorry column that she used to write before starting in comics, so every so often I check out her stuff.

I do think it's mildly entertaining that one of her gripes about her recent DC work is that she was under editorial mandate to make BATGIRL all grimdark, but LEAVING MEAGALOPOLIS was entirely her own vision, and the only thing that really distinguishes it from a lot of the New 52 is lower production values. Which isn't to say that creators shouldn't be able to explore any ideas they like in their work, but grimdark is obviously something Simone's comfortable working in.
          Punching For Justice

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
            I read BIRDS OF PREY for a while, and I liked the first SECRET SIX mini.
            Could never get into Secret Six.... It wasn't so much the quality of the writing (which was decent enough), more it content, to be specific the characters. They always kind of felt like a poor mans Suicide Squad: Any story that turns Bane into a chump, bordering on being a Jobber less interesting than a Spiderman jobber, is not a story I have any interest in. Now birds of Prey on the other hand is a different kettle of fish.
            Last edited by saint_matthew; 09-20-2014, 04:56 AM.

-Doctor Who

Comment

Working...
            X