Builds on the Sun (Pistolero)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builds on the Sun (Pistolero)

The roll call board on this site was one of the main things that got me into this system in the first place, so I'd like to contribute to it a bit too. Here are some characters I've made while trying to get better at 3rd edition. Hope people like them!
    Last edited by RainOnTheSun; 02-05-2019, 11:52 PM.
    [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6589-Builds-on-the-Sun]Builds on the Sun[/url]

Re: Builds on the Sun

Space is full of flying men who punch each other.

SPACE KARATE GUY, PL 10, 150 points

STRENGTH 3/10, STAMINA 10, DEXTERITY 1, AGILITY 5, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 1 * 64 points

Advantages:
    All-Out Attack, Agile Feint, Equipment 5, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge * 12 points

Equipment:
    Scanner (Communication 5, Ranged Acute Extended 2 Detect "fighting power") * 25 ep

Skills:
    Acrobatics 9 (+14), Intimidation 8 (+9), Perception 7 (+9), Ranged Combat: Ki 4 (+5), Technology 4 (+4) * 16 points

Powers:
    Afterimages - Partial Concealment vs normal sight * 2 points

Flying is a Martial Art - Flight 8 * 16 points

Ki Fortification - Enhanced Strength 8 (1 rank Limited to lifting), 4 Alternate Effects * 19 points
    Casual Blast - Ranged Damage 5, Accurate 5
    Destruction Wave - Burst Area Damage 10, Distracting, 2 levels of Area on 5 ranks
    Sustained Barrage - Ranged Multiattack Damage 5, Distracting, Accurate 5
    Full Power Blast - Ranged Damage 15, Distracting

Physically Superior - Impervious Toughness 2, Quickness 2 * 4 points

Space Karate Armor - Impervious Toughness 8 (Limited to half effect), Ultimate Effort: Toughness saves, Removable * 4 points

Offense:
    Initiative +5
    Unarmed +10 (Close Damage 10, DC 25)
    Melee Weapons +10 (variable effect)
    Casual Blast +15 (Ranged Damage 5, DC 20)
    Destruction Wave (Area Damage 10, DC 25)
    Full Power Blast +5 (Ranged Damage 15, DC 30)

Defense:
    Dodge +10, Parry +10, Toughness +10, Fortitude +13, Will +7 * 13 points

Possible Complications:
    Hostile Work Environment - Space Karate Guys usually have Space Karate Bosses, who are happy to dole out painful and even lethal punishments for the slightest failure. They put up with it, because the only thing more likely to kill you than a Space Karate Boss you work for is a Space Karate Boss you don't work for.
    This Thing Must Be Broken - Scanners are frustrating things. They're good for locating the most powerful beings on a planet so you can efficiently karate fight them, and they can convey a broad sense of who might be stronger or weaker than who, but they also display exact numbers regarding a subject's fighting power. These numbers are always wrong. Always. Don't trust them. Scanners are also good for exploding.
    Distinctive Appearance - As aliens, Space Karate Guys tend to be a bit funny looking one way or another.
    Not In The City - Space Karate Guys cause huge amounts of collateral damage. A lot of them don't care, but the ones with a conscience usually try to move fights somewhere isolated.

Total: Abilities 64 + Advantages 12 + Skills 16 + Powers 45 + Defense 13 = 150

This build doesn't have any tradeoffs in attack/effect or defense/toughness because, in the source material, it's rare for one fighter to be weaker but faster than another. Usually, if character A is stronger than character B, character A is also faster, tougher, more skilled, and just all-around better than character B. The world of Space Karate is blatantly unfair.

Space Karate Armor not only doesn't cover the entire body, it often seems less sturdy than the person in the armor. If you use a Space Karate Guy as an enemy, and he needs to use Ultimate Toughness, consider not giving the PCs a hero point for its use. Instead, destroy his armor, leaving him scuffed up and dirty but basically unharmed. This works especially well if the attack he's saving against could make a big explosion to hide him for a few seconds, and someone else is nearby to say: "There's no way he could still be alive after that! It's IMPOSSIBLE!"

3rd edition Mutants and Masterminds doesn't really allow for the gigantic areas of effect that Space Karate Guys put out in the source material. The best the Destruction Wave can do is a 60 foot radius, and bigger booms are plot devices at the GM's discretion. On the other hand, with full Power Attack and Extraordinary Effort, Space Karate Guys can force a DC 37 toughness save or a PL 12 area attack, which should be enough to destroy a good chunk of real estate.

A small customization note: if you don't want to give your Space Karate Guy a scanner, the 5 points you get back for removing Equipment are exactly enough to pay for the Detect power as an inherent ability. Convenient!
    Last edited by RainOnTheSun; 06-08-2017, 05:49 PM.
    [url=https://roninarmy.com/threads/6589-Builds-on-the-Sun]Builds on the Sun[/url]

Comment

You can make aid checks on a demoralize action, right?

SPACE KARATE ELITE, PL 13, 195 points

STRENGTH 4/13, STAMINA 13, DEXTERITY 2, AGILITY 6, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 2 * 88 points

Advantages:
      All-Out Attack, Equipment 5, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge * 13 points

Equipment:
      Scanner (Communication 5, Ranged Acute Extended 2 Detect "fighting power") * 25 ep

Skills:
      Acrobatics 6 (+12), Intimidation 15 (+17), Perception 8 (+11), Ranged Combat: Ki 6 (+8), Technology 5 (+6) * 20 points

Powers:
      Afterimages - Partial Concealment vs normal sight * 2 points

Flying is a Martial Art - Flight 10 * 20 points

Ki Fortification - Enhanced Strength 9, 4 Alternate Effects * 22 points
      Casual Blast - Ranged Damage 6, Accurate 6
      Destruction Wave - Burst Area Damage 10, Distracting, 2 levels of Area on 8 ranks
      Sustained Barrage - Ranged Multiattack Damage 6, Distracting, Accurate 6
      Full Power Blast - Ranged Damage 18, Distracting

Physically Superior - Impervious Toughness 5, Power-Lifting 1, Quickness 3 * 9 points

Space Karate Armor - Impervious Toughness 8 (Limited to half effect), Ultimate Effort: Toughness saves, Removable * 4 points

Offense:
      Initiative +5
      Unarmed +13 (Close Damage 13, DC 28)
      Casual Blast +20 (Ranged Damage 6, DC 21)
      Destruction Wave (Area Damage 10, DC 25)
      Full Power Blast +8 (Ranged Damage 18, DC 33)

Defense:
      Dodge +13, Parry +13, Toughness +13, Fortitude +16, Will +10 * 17 points

Total: Abilities 88 + Advantages 13 + Skills 20 + Powers 57 + Defense 17 = 195

Power Level 13 feels like a good fit for elite warriors. Overwhelmingly powerful, able to sweep aside any resistance the unlucky world they're on tries to throw at them... but not so unbeatable that the guys with the really ridiculous "I win" power levels can't punk them out when the last battle for the fate of the world/galaxy/universe draws near.

You could easily trade some Intimidation ranks for Acrobatics ranks and replace Startle with Agile Feint. Startle is probably more of a "bad guy" specialty compared to Agile Feint.

Even at this level, any energy attack more powerful than a Casual Blast leaves you open to a counterattack. When an SKG goes for a giant blast, one of three things is usually true:

A) They're making a big, flashy example out of someone too weak to pose any threat.
      B) They're applying the finishing blow to a worn-down enemy.
      C) They're about to get their ass kicked.

A lot of the time people think they're in situation A or B when they're really in situation C.
      Last edited by RainOnTheSun; 07-02-2017, 11:38 PM.

Comment

They can't beat all of us! Unless they do!

SPACE KARATE TROOPER, PL 6, 90 points

STRENGTH 2/6, STAMINA 4, DEXTERITY 1, AGILITY 3, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 0, PRESENCE 0 * 32 points

Advantages:
        All-Out Attack, Equipment 5, Startle * 7 points

Equipment:

Skills:
        Acrobatics 4 (+7), Intimidation 11 (+11), Perception 5 (+5), Ranged Combat: Ki 2 (+3), Technology 4 (+4) * 13 points

Powers:
        Flying is a Martial Art - Flight 5 * 10 points

Ki Fortification - Enhanced Strength 5 (1 rank Limited to lifting), 3 AEs * 12 points
        Casual Blast - Ranged Damage 3, Accurate 3
        Sustained Barrage - Ranged Multiattack Damage 3, Distracting, Accurate 3
        Full Power Blast - Ranged Damage 9, Distracting

Quickness 1 * 1 point

Space Karate Armor - Protection 2, Impervious Toughness 6 (Limited to half effect), Removable * 4 points

Offense:
        Initiative +3
        Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 6, DC 21)
        Casual Blast +9 (Ranged Damage 3, DC 18)
        Full Power Blast +3 (Ranged Damage 9, DC 24)

Defense:
        Dodge +6, Parry +6, Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +4 * 11 points

Total: Abilities 32 + Advantages 7 + Skills 13 + Powers 27 + Defense 11 = 90

Some Space Karate Troopers don't use ki at all, but instead use an arm-mounted blaster in combat. For them, replace the Ki Fortification array with this:

Arm cannon - Ranged Damage 7, Accurate, Removable * 12 points

They still fill out their caps in ranged combat, but without the ability to strengthen their bodies with ki, they become less dangerous in close quarters. They can still fly, of course. Flying is the most rudimentary of all martial arts.

It's hard to put a specific power level on these little guys. They never pose much of a threat to anyone more important than them, but still, they have genuine superpowers. That has to count for something, doesn't it?
        Last edited by RainOnTheSun; 07-02-2017, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Space Karate is Best Karate. I want you to know, I started laughing when I saw the first title and still have not stopped.
          [url="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6540-Crashverse-Restraint-is-for-other-settings"]Crashverse Setting[/url]
          [url="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6541-Crashverse-Roster-Restraint-is-for-other-build-threads"]Crashverse Builds[/url]

As always, feedback is love.

Comment

Then I've done my job!

Comment

I'll hypnotize you with a little strip tease, and then judo chop, I'm swinging on you like the sixties!

SEXY BRICK, PL 10, 150 points

STRENGTH 12, STAMINA 14, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 6, PRESENCE 5 * 102 points

Advantages:
              Attractive 2, Close Attack 2, Interpose, Power Attack, Taunt * 7 points

Skills:
              Deception 10 (+15, +20 w/Attractive), Expertise: Professional 5 (+6), Persuasion 10 (+15, +20 w/Attractive), Ranged Combat: Throwing 7 (+8) * 16 points

Powers:
              Impervious Toughness 9 * 9 points

Leaping 4, 1 AE * 5 points
              Speed 4

Sucker Punch - Affliction 12 (Resisted by Fortitude, Limited to enemies who are Vulnerable or Defenseless, Limited Degree, Extra Condition; Impaired and Vulnerable, Disabled and Defenseless), Linked to Strength damage * 6 points

Tremendous Strength - Power-lifting 3, 2 AEs * 5 points
              Bracing - Sustained Impervious Toughness 3 (12 total)
              Strong Legs - Leaping 3 (7 total)

Offense:
              Initiative +6
              Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 12, DC 27)
              Sucker Punch +8 (Close Damage 12 and Affliction 12, DC 27 and DC 22)
              Melee weapon +8 (variable effect)
              Thrown Object +8 (variable effect)

Defense:
              Dodge +6, Parry +6, Toughness +14, Fortitude +14, Will +6 * 0 points

Possible Complications:
              People Are Going To Stare At Me No Matter How I Dress - The Sexy Brick's skin and hair are frequently some strange (but flattering) color not found in nature. Even if this isn't the case, they stand out wherever they go on account of looking like a Greek god, or some kind of weightlifting supermodel.
              Strongest One There Is - Bricks of both the sexy and non-sexy varieties have a thing about finding out who's the strongest. At least one other brick wants to defeat you, and will show up to do so at the worst possible times.
              We Do Serious Work Here - The combination of no secret identity and some of the most physically destructive superpowers makes it hard for the Sexy Brick to maintain a steady career and/or school life.

Total: Abilities 102 + Advantages 7 + Skills 16 + Powers 25 + Defense 0 = 150

Playing a Sexy Brick is simple: First you hit them with the Sexy, then you hit them with the Brick. Feint an enemy, hit them with the Sucker Punch. If it hits and sticks, not only is the enemy an easier target for you and your buddies alike, but also a valid target to be hit by the Sucker Punch again on your next turn. If the enemy happens to be flying out of your reach, or insubstantial, or punchproof for any other reason, just Taunt them. You'll still be making them an easier target for your team. If you find yourself fighting something you can't hint OR taunt, say, a mindless flying kill-bot, use Interpose to protect someone more suited to deal with the situation.

Helping your friends is a theme with the Sexy Brick. If you don't have any friends, find some people who would make good friends and use your ridiculously high social skills to make them your friends. The more people on your team, the more useful everything you do is, and if other people are glad to have you around, you're doing your job right. If you're on your own, who will notice how sexy you are?

Presence is an odd ability. It's pricier than buying the three social skills individually, and you may want to just buy more ranks of Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion if you don't think you'll get any chance to use it. If you can sell your GM on it, though, being able to passively draw people to you or drive them away, without actually doing anything, can be pretty useful. For your professional Expertise, you might want to pick a career that also benefits from Presence, like an actor or a lawyer or a con artist.

The Sexy Brick is a very narrowly focused character: you do a couple things very well and not much else. Your biggest problems are probably your inability to attack multiple people at once and your relative lack of mobility (get used to taking cabs or getting carried).

Comment

Originally posted by Thine Mo View Post
                Space Karate is Best Karate. I want you to know, I started laughing when I saw the first title and still have not stopped.
                I had a chuckle upon reading that myself. I thought "Sexy Brick" was a funny one, too.

Comment

I like these archetypes. I'll probably use those myself.

For the Super Karate Guys, I assume Afterimages is only vs Sight or the points are off.

Also, I'm not sure how Half-Effect Impervious works, especially when 3e Imperv is kind of already half-effect.
                  My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
                  My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
                  [/URL]
                  I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Yeah, any sort of "special" vision should see through the afterimages fine. I'll adjust the builds to make that clearer.

I use "Limited to half effect" for Impervious the same way it works for the Immunity power: you halve the effect, rounding down, before determining save DC. So a rank 7 Damage effect that gets blocked by partial impervious only forces a DC 18 toughness save, for example. Space karate armor doesn't cover the entire body, just the torso, hips, and shoulders, so full Impervious didn't seem right for it.

As an aside, I like to use Impervious as it was in second edition whenever possible. Even 2E impervious is fairly situational and easy to circumvent, but 3E impervious doesn't seem worth its cost at all. I'm not a game designer, and I could be entirely off base about this, but if I were ever going to use these as PCs and not NPCs, and 3E rules for Impervious were in effect, I'd probably spend those points on immunities or some other defensive power instead.

Comment

"You wanna arm-wrestle for it?"

SEXY MEGABRICK, PL 13, 195 points

STRENGTH 16, STAMINA 17, AGILITY 9, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 9, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 9, PRESENCE 6 * 136 points

Advantages:
                      Attractive 2, Close Attack 1, Interpose, Power Attack, Taunt * 6 points

Skills:
                      Deception 12 (+18, +23 w/Attractive), Expertise: Professional 7 (+8), Persuasion 12 (+18, +23 w/Attractive), Ranged Combat: Throwing 9 (+10) * 20 points

Powers:
                      Impervious Toughness 12 * 12 points

Strong Legs - Speed 5, 1 AE * 6 points
                      Leaping 5

Sucker Punch - Affliction 16 (Resisted by Fortitude, Limited to enemies who are Vulnerable or Defenseless; Vulnerable, Defenseless, Incapacitated), Linked to Strength damage, 1 AE * 9 points
                      Colossal Impact - Burst Area 8 added to Strength damage

Tremendous Strength - Power-lifting 4, 2 AEs * 6 points
                      Bracing - Sustained Impervious Toughness 4 (16 total)
                      Strong Legs - Leaping 4

Offense:
                      Initiative +9
                      Unarmed +10 (Close Damage 16, DC 31)
                      Sucker Punch +10 (Close Damage 16 and Affliction 16, DC 31 and DC 26)
                      Melee Weapon +10 (Close Damage variable)
                      Thrown Object +10 (Ranged Damage variable)

Defense:
                      Dodge +9, Parry +9, Toughness +17, Fortitude +17, Will +9 * 0 points

Total: Abilities 136 + Advantages 6 + Skills 20 + Powers 33 + Defense 0 = 195

Sexy Bricks usually don't get top tier A-list treatment in comic book universes. It's probably because they make it hard to invest the proper amount of gravitas into epic battles. Can you imagine how humiliating it would be for Darkseid or Thanos if he was about to remake the universe in his own image, and somebody gave him a wink and blew him a kiss and punched him out?

It wouldn't be this humiliating. But it would be close!

Still, I made a PL 13 Space Karate Guy, so here's a PL 13 Sexy Brick. The only real difference, aside from being better at all the things the Sexy Brick was already good at, is the addition of Colossal Impact, which lets you hit things so hard the shockwave damages everything else around you. Any PL 13 brick should be able to do at least a little teamwrecking, after all. I've noticed that the higher PL gets, the more restrictive 15 points per level starts to feel: you have to choose between keeping your existing abilities at PL caps and branching out to new abilities.

Comment

I wanted to use a picture of the robot Lucy Liu army from Futurama, but I couldn't find a good one.

SEXY MICROBRICK, PL 6, 90 points

STRENGTH 8, STAMINA 8, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 3 * 62 points

Advantages:
                        Attractive 2, Taunt * 3 points

Skills:
                        Deception 8 (+11, +16 w/Attractive), Expertise: Professional 3 (+3), Persuasion 7 (+10, +15 w/Attractive), Ranged Combat: Throwing 4 (+5) * 11 points

Powers:
                        Impervious Toughness 5 * 5 points

Sucker Punch - Affliction 8 (Resisted by Fortitude, Limited to enemies who are Vulnerable or Defenseless; Vulnerable, Defenseless, Incapacitated) * 4 points

Tremendous Strength - Power-lifting 2, 2 AEs * 4 points
                        Bracing - Sustained Impervious Toughness 2 (7 total)
                        Strong Legs - Leaping 2

Offense:
                        Initiative +3
                        Unarmed +4 (Close Damage 8, DC 23)
                        Sucker Punch +4 (Close Damage 8 and Affliction 8, DC 23 and DC 18)
                        Melee Weapon +4 (Close Damage variable)
                        Thrown Object +4 (Ranged Damage variable)

Defense:
                        Dodge +4, Parry +4, Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4 * 1 point

Total: Abilities 62 + Advantages 3 + Skills 11 + Powers 13 + Defenses 1 = 90

And one more to round out the set. A sexy microbrick is strong enough to carry a double-decker bus down the street or lift ridiculously huge weights in a novelty supergym, and at least moderately bulletproof. To a full PL 10 the microbrick is a lightweight, but to ordinary people this is an absurd amount of raw power.

Like space karate troopers, sexy microbricks probably need to be in large groups to be a good fight for superheroes, but it's hard to think of good excuses for an army of them. Military-grade Stepford wives? Super-steroid laboratory disguised as a Chippendales? Radiation leak at a boy band rehearsal? Asgardian beauty pageant? Succubus gym club?

Actually, the best use for an army of sexy microbricks might be to have them avoid combat and just do a massive combined taunt every round. Be the supervillain that never goes anywhere without at least half a dozen gun molls and hype men.

Comment

Click click boom boom.

HELL SLAYER, PL 10, 150 points

Strength 4, Stamina 5, Dexterity 1, Agility 2, Fighting 10, Intellect 1, Awareness 10, Presence 0 * 66 points

Advantages:
                          Fearless, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Takedown * 4 points

Skills:
                          Athletics 2 (+6), Expertise: Arcane 2 (+3), Intimidation 13 (+13), Ranged Combat: guns 11 (+12), Technology 2 (+3), Treatment 2 (+3) * 16 points

Powers:

Rip and Tear - Strength-based Damage 6 (Limited to Staggered enemies and minions), Linked to Weaken Stamina 10 (Limited to Staggered enemies and minions), Linked to Healing 6 (Self Only) * 14 points

Slayer's Armor - Removable * 16 points
                          Immunity 8 (cold, disease, heat, poison, radiation, vacuum, suffocation)
                          Immunity 5 (falling damage, Limited to half effect)
                          Leaping 2
                          Protection 5
                          Enhanced Advantages: Evasion, Quick Draw

Slayer's Arsenal - 21-point array, 4 AEs, Removable * 20 points
                          Chaingun - Ranged Multiattack Damage 8, Improved Critical, 4 ranks Limited - cannot be used until gun has spun up
                          Rocket launcher - Ranged Damage 8, Burst Area 5
                          Unreasonably powerful shotgun - Ranged Damage 6, Accurate, Improved Critical, Linked to Weaken Stamina 6, Accurate
                          Plasma rifle - Ranged Multiattack Damage 6, Accurate, Burst Area 2
                          Stun Bomb - Ranged Burst Area Affliction 10 (Limited Degree, Fortitude resists; Dazed, Stunned)

Speed 1 * 1 point

Offense:
                          First round chaingun + 12, Ranged Multiattack Damage 4 (DC 19)
                          Spun-up chaingun +12, Ranged Multiattack Damage 8 (DC 23)
                          Rocket launcher +12, Ranged Damage 8 (DC 23), Burst Area 5
                          Shotgun +14, Ranged Damage 6 (DC 21), Weaken Stamina 6 (DC 16)
                          Plasma rifle +14, Ranged Multiattack Damage 6 (DC 21), Burst Area 2
                          Stun Bomb Burst Area Affliction 10 (DC 20)

Defense:
                          Dodge +10, Parry +10, Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +10 * 13 points

Possible Complications:

Got a gun. Need a bigger gun - The Slayer's Arsenal is a large number of Easily Removable weapons given a lower price discount because of the difficulty of removing all of them. Individual weapons in the arsenal might still be susceptible to disarms, however, and this might be worth giving the Hell Slayer a hero point, at the GM's discretion.
                          Path of Perpetual Torment - Although his motivations may vary, the Hell Slayer has one purpose in life: killing demons. Killing things other than demons is acceptable but disappointing. Not killing anything at all is terribly frustrating.

Abilities 66 + Advantages 4 + Skills 16 + Powers 51 + Defense 13 = 150

The Hell Slayer's guns are a little odd. Although they seem similar to ordinary firearms, they never need reloading, they seem to appear right out of the armor when he wants them, and they're more devastating than conventional guns should perhaps be--especially the shotgun. Speaking of which, note that the Weaken effect on the Hell Slayer's shotgun is not ranged. It performs reasonably well at a distance, but its ideal usage is shoved directly into something's mouth.

The chaingun fires slowly at first and gradually speeds up. For the weapon's Limitation, firing it once at rank 4 in any given fight is usually enough to spin the barrels up to full speed, and in subsequent rounds it can be used at rank 8.

The plasma rifle does just a little bit of splash damage. Burst Area 2 is fairly feeble, but if you manage to defeat anything with it you deserve to feel proud of yourself.

I haven't playtested it, but I think the Hell Slayer would lose a one-on-one fight against the Space Karate Guy or Sexy Brick. Rip and Tear lets him chew through multiple weaker enemies more or less indefinitely, though. The Hell Slayer should shine brightest when presented with a horde of foes in an environment he can use to keep them from surrounding him all at once.

Comment

I was driving around the other day... and a cop pulls me over.

And then he goes, "Hey... are you small?"

I said "No, I'm tall, I'm tall!"

He said "Well I'm gonna have to measure you."

SIZE-SHIFTER, PL 10

Strength 2/-1 to 14, Stamina 2 to 14, Dexterity 2, Agility 8, Fighting 6, Intellect 6, Awareness 6, Presence 2 * 68 points

Advantages:
                            Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Inventor, Startle, Takedown * 11 points

Skills:
                            Acrobatics 2 (+10), Expertise: Science 12 (+18), Intimidation 12 (+8 to +20), Ranged Combat: Throwing 4 (+6), Stealth 0 (-4 to +20), Technology 14 (+20) * 22 points

Powers:
                            Biochemical Expansion - Growth 12, Dynamic, two Dynamic Alternate Effects: Strength +12, Stamina +12, Intimidation +6, Speed +1, Stealth -12, Dodge and Parry -6 * 29 points
                            Biochemical Reinforcement - Enhanced Strength 6, Enhanced Stamina 6, Dynamic
                            Biochemical Compaction - Shrinking 12, Dynamic: Strength -3, Intimidation -6, Speed -1, Stealth +12, Dodge and Parry +6

Immunity 5 (environmental heat and cold, high pressure, suffocation) * 5 points

Leaping 8, Acrobatics check required, one Alternate Effect * 5 points
                            Speed 4 (Speed 3 to 5)

Defense:
                            Dodge +12/+6 to +18, Parry +12/+6 to +18, Toughness +2/+2 to +14, Fortitude +2/+2 to +14, Will +6 * 10 points

Total: Abilities 68 + Advantages 11 + Skills 22 + Powers 39 + Defense 10 = 150 points

Growth and Shrinking are pretty cheap in 3E, which leaves a size-shifting hero with plenty of points left over for other things. This size-shifter is a brilliant inventor, as size-shifters frequently are, and absolutely terrifying at full size. I put growth and shrinking together in a dynamic array with plain old enhanced physical attributes, so the size-shifter can juggle his or her caps depending on the needs of the moment and how much space there is to work with. Here are some sample allocations:

Maximum size: Attack +6, Damage +14, Defense +6, Toughness +14, Intimidation +20, Stealth -4, Speed 5
                            Large size: Attack +6, Damage +11, Defense +9, Toughness +11, Intimidation +17, Stealth +2, Speed 4
                            Medium size: Attack +6, Damage +8, Defense +12, Toughness +8, Intimidation +14, Stealth +8, Speed 4
                            Small size: Attack +6, Damage +4, Defense +15, Toughness +5, Intimidation +11, Stealth +14, Speed 4
                            Minimum size: Attack +6, Damage -1, Defense +18, Toughness +2, Intimidation +8, Stealth +20, Speed 3

Mutants and Masterminds tries to give "official" sizes for characters with different ranks of Growth, but the size of giants in comics usually changes from story to story and even page to page. The official profile for Giganta gives her extra ranks of Growth that don't increase her strength or stamina just to get her to the right height without making her stronger than Wonder Woman, but it seems easier to me to give her enough Growth to get her to the power level you want and just say "she's really tall, all right?"
                            Last edited by RainOnTheSun; 07-09-2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Re: Builds on the Sun (Size-Shifter)

The Living Monolith is "sixty feet tall" like Hercules can lift "one hundred tons."

MAJOR SIZE-SHIFTER, PL 13

Strength 3/0 to 17, Stamina 3 to 17, Dexterity 3, Agility 9, Fighting 9, Intellect 9, Awareness 9, Presence 2 * 94 points

Advantages:
                              Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Inventor, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2 * 13 points

Skills:
                              Acrobatics 2 (+11), Expertise: Science 14 (+23), Intimidation 14 (+9 to +23), Ranged Combat: Throwing 6 (+9), Stealth 0 (-5 to +23), Technology 14 (+23) * 25 points

Powers:
                              Biochemical Expansion - Growth 14, Dynamic, two Dynamic Alternate Effects: Strength +14, Stamina +14, Intimidation +7, Speed +1, Stealth -14, Dodge and Parry -7 * 33 points
                              Biochemical Reinforcement - Enhanced Strength 7, Enhanced Stamina 7, Dynamic
                              Biochemical Compaction - Shrinking 14, Dynamic: Strength -3, Intimidation -7, Speed -1, Stealth +14, Dodge and Parry +7

Immunity 10 (environmental heat and cold, high pressure, suffocation, fatigue effects) * 10 points

Leaping 10, Acrobatics check required, one Alternate Effect * 6 points
                              Speed 5 (Speed 4 to 6)

Offense:
                              Initiative +9
                              Unarmed +9, variable damage
                              Melee Weapon +9, variable effect
                              Thrown Weapon +9, variable effect

Defense:
                              Dodge +16/+9 to +23, Parry +16/+9 to +23, Toughness +3/+3 to +17, Fortitude +3/+3 to +17, Will +9 * 14 points

Abilities 94 + Advantages 13 + Skills 25 + Powers 49 + Defense 14 = 195

Size-shifters are another archetype that rarely gets into the extreme end of comic book power levels. A person the size of a house isn't really much of a threat to a hero who can lift or destroy a skyscraper. A person the size of a skyscraper is, but then you have the problem of making both fighters recognizable in the same panel. Really high-powered giants mostly appear in different genres, where they can pick on somebody their own size.

Maximum size (Growth 14): Attack +9, Damage +17, Defense +9, Toughness +17, Intimidation +23, Stealth -5, Speed 6
                              Large size (Growth 8): Attack +9, Damage +14, Defense +12, Toughness +14, Intimidation +17, Stealth +1, Speed 6
                              Medium size: Attack +9, Damage +10, Defense +16, Toughness +10, Intimidation +16, Stealth +9, Speed 5
                              Small size (Shrinking 8): Attack +9, Damage +4, Defense +20, Toughness +6, Intimidation +12, Stealth +17, Speed 4
                              Minimum size (Shrinking 14): Attack +9, Damage +0, Defense +23, Toughness +3, Intimidation +9, Stealth +23, Speed 4
                              Last edited by RainOnTheSun; 07-09-2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X