Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Lara's Treasure] Ridley, Mother Brain, Kraid, Metroid, Midoriya, OC: Dusk, the Legendary Cowgirl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lara's Treasures: Spider-Gwen, Mercy, Pharah

I really don't like this genre of game, but damn, Blizzard really did it with the character designs! Even those I consider the worst ones at not really bad, and the good ones are amazing!
    My Deviantart page

Comment

Yeah, almost every one is a slam dunk. Mercy is basically the prettiest blonde ever, in a ridiculously-complex costume that says "Angel" and "Technical Genius" all at once. Pharah is an ethnic Samus Aran, looking bad-ass and attractive at the same time, and WITHOUT hyper-sexualized armor. Zarya is this muscular, tattooed mountain of a woman with a gigantic gun... but contrasts that with PINK HAIR and the same color nail polish. Widowmaker's a bit "Image Comics", but most of the others are great. Oh, and apparently there are MALE characters, too!

(though I would just like to state, for the record, that I do not have any fantasies about Hanzo and I. I have had no dreams about the two of us on a secluded beach, him massaging my shoulders with his big, strong hands. At all.)
      Jabroniville at Hotmail dot com
      http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/index.php

Comment

They really nailed it. The implied history of a new and growing supers setting — often referred to "bright cyberpunk superheroes by Pixar" — also helped generate excitement. The character designs are great, really hitting all the tried-and-true classics, which makes it easy to get into and then gives you plenty of hooks to put your own spin on it. Even a cliched archetype can be fun if it's done with the proper enthusiasm.

Somewhat unrelated (I mean, it's generally for all my builds), do any of the 3E books ever touch on naked modifiers? This is something that HERO does that I'd really like to have in M&M, too. Ah, and as I ask and search, I find it's touched upon in the Gadget Guides "Powers" section. Anyone read it or use it much? Any luck with it?

Comment

What's a "naked modifier"?

Comment

I have to give Blizzard props, not just for the great designs, but for being able to add so much personality to characters, even though we don't have a lot of information on them. I still think the Overwatch world would make really good setting for an alt-superhero campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
              Basically, an independent free-standing modifier. It's similar to Strength-based Damage in that it's an additive thing. Strength-based Damage, like melee weapons, add effective ranks to an existing power (in this case, Strength). But you can have Extras or even Flaws that exist on their own, to be applied to other powers. Usually, you see it with gadgets. One example is a "geolocator band" that adds Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, and Turnabout to a Teleport power. Typically, these are costed for a certain amount of ranks it will benefit, so if you have Teleport 13, but the geolocator band only provides 10 ranks of Accurate, only the first 10 distance ranks you teleport have that Accurate bonus.

One example build is Jump Belt: Accurate and Extended Extras for Teleport. It costs 2 points per rank. So the Jump Belt could be built to only cover up to Teleport 4 (so it costs 8 points), or it could cover up to Teleport 20 (so it costs 40 points), and anyone can benefit up to 20 ranks of Teleport with Accurate and Extended. If it only covers up to 4 ranks of Teleport, but you have 8, you can Teleport 4 distance ranks with the benefit of the Extras, or up to your full distance without them.

Another example is a gadget that reduces or removes a Flaw. So you could have an amulet that helps you control your power. An example given is someone with Mind Reading 8 but it has Uncontrolled. That Uncontrolled Flaw is worth -8 points (Mind Reading is 2/rank, so 16 points base, knocked down to 1/rank with Uncontrolled, shaving off 8 points). The amulet is a Removable device that costs 8 points (to cover the break from the Flaw), but it's Removable, so its cost is reduced to 6. So the character's Mind Control basically only gets a 2 point reduction, but as long as she has the necklace, she doesn't suffer the Uncontrolled Flaw.

Or, basically, like Impervious Toughness. You can buy Impervious on Toughness without Protection, so it's like that.

Originally posted by luketheduke86 View Post
              I have to give Blizzard props, not just for the great designs, but for being able to add so much personality to characters, even though we don't have a lot of information on them. I still think the Overwatch world would make really good setting for an alt-superhero campaign.
              Yes, it would. In fact, I'm tempted to do that instead of/in addition to my Dragon Ball game. Though the DB game still has a ways to go as I figure out rules, and realize just what is scattered between the 3E core, GM's Guide, Power Profiles, and Gadget Guides. What has been really calling to me for game ideas lately are Overwatch and Mass Effect, both of which are easily doable with M&M (and I'll bring over my Mass Effect builds soon).
              Last edited by Lara Croft; 10-16-2016, 07:38 PM.

Comment

There are these pumps... they're made in Sweden.

Comment

Naked modifiers, while not particularly identified as so, were already present in the core DC book.

Green Lantern's sheet has an array called Force Manipulation for various uses of the ring, as well as powers independent of that array such as Flight and, relevant here, his Force Field which includes an Immunity (Life Support) effect. That Force Manipulation array has, among the various options, a Force Bubble that gives extras (Affect Others, Burst Area, Ranged) to the immunity in the other power.

It is not only floating modifiers, examples of combining ranks similarly to Strength-based effects are there as well. Superman has Quickness, as well as additional quickness in an array off of his Flight power.

So, yeah, that possibility is present in M&M 3E from the get go. I'm sure examples can be found on non-DC sheets in all those Threat Report and Rogues Gallery entries, too.
                  My Deviantart page

Comment

Originally posted by Lara Croft View Post
                    Basically, an independent free-standing modifier. It's similar to Strength-based Damage in that it's an additive thing. Strength-based Damage, like melee weapons, add effective ranks to an existing power (in this case, Strength). But you can have Extras or even Flaws that exist on their own, to be applied to other powers. Usually, you see it with gadgets. One example is a "geolocator band" that adds Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity, and Turnabout to a Teleport power. Typically, these are costed for a certain amount of ranks it will benefit, so if you have Teleport 13, but the geolocator band only provides 10 ranks of Accurate, only the first 10 distance ranks you teleport have that Accurate bonus.

One example build is Jump Belt: Accurate and Extended Extras for Teleport. It costs 2 points per rank. So the Jump Belt could be built to only cover up to Teleport 4 (so it costs 8 points), or it could cover up to Teleport 20 (so it costs 40 points), and anyone can benefit up to 20 ranks of Teleport with Accurate and Extended. If it only covers up to 4 ranks of Teleport, but you have 8, you can Teleport 4 distance ranks with the benefit of the Extras, or up to your full distance without them.

Another example is a gadget that reduces or removes a Flaw. So you could have an amulet that helps you control your power. An example given is someone with Mind Reading 8 but it has Uncontrolled. That Uncontrolled Flaw is worth -8 points (Mind Reading is 2/rank, so 16 points base, knocked down to 1/rank with Uncontrolled, shaving off 8 points). The amulet is a Removable device that costs 8 points (to cover the break from the Flaw), but it's Removable, so its cost is reduced to 6. So the character's Mind Control basically only gets a 2 point reduction, but as long as she has the necklace, she doesn't suffer the Uncontrolled Flaw.

Or, basically, like Impervious Toughness. You can buy Impervious on Toughness without Protection, so it's like that.
                    Ah, OK- I see. I did the third option with my build of Ronan the Accuser, whose weapon is set to create a Side-Effect to anyone using it... unless they're wearing the Accuser Armor. So I put in the Flaw for the Universal Weapon, but the Accuser Armor buys off the cost of the Flaw (saving only a small bit of points in the end, but making the Weapon more useful, as it can rarely be used against him).

I think I've done the "Add Feats/Extras to Powers" thing before as well. Sometimes just by including those, but putting a Flaw on them because they're more limited than the baseline power is.

Green Lantern's sheet has an array called Force Manipulation for various uses of the ring, as well as powers independent of that array such as Flight and, relevant here, his Force Field which includes an Immunity (Life Support) effect. That Force Manipulation array has, among the various options, a Force Bubble that gives extras (Affect Others, Burst Area, Ranged) to the immunity in the other power.
                    "Lame Claim To Fame" time:
                    I was the reason they included that in the Power-Set. They posted a "Green Lantern" build before the book was released online, and my first comment was "They should have something to allow others to use the same Immunities they do", since that's a key GL trick (flying people around in their little green bubbles), and their build didn't include it. Within a day, they'd included that new Alt-Effect in the power, and it ended up being used in every bio they did .
                    Last edited by Jabroniville; 10-16-2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• Re: Lara's Treasures: Spider-Gwen, Mercy, Pharah

"Lame Claim To Fame" time:
                      I was the reason they included that in the Power-Set. They posted a "Green Lantern" build before the book was released online, and my first comment was "They should have something to allow others to use the same Immunities they do", since that's a key GL trick (flying people around in their little green bubbles), and their build didn't include it. Within a day, they'd included that new Alt-Effect in the power, and it ended up being used in every bio they did .
                      Well, since you are directly involved, it is still better than "my former co-worker voiced a character from a really popular game about 20 years ago" XD
                      My Deviantart page

Comment

• Re: Lara's Treasures: Spider-Gwen, Mercy, Pharah

"I play to win!"

D.Va
                        Hana Song
                        Power Points: 130

Abilities
                        Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 8, Fighting 2, Intellect 4, Awareness 6, Presence 6

Combat
                        Unarmed
                        I'm not hitting you with my mouse hand!
                        • Hit +2 vs. Parry
                        • Close
                        • Damage 0 (6 in the mech)

Light Gun
                        I've got expert aim! This is going to sting....
                        • Hit +11 vs. Dodge
                        • Ranged
                        • Damage 5

Fusion Cannons
                        But this hurts a lot more than my Light Gun! No hacks needed!
                        • Hit +11 vs. Dodge
                        • Ranged
                        • Damage 10

Defense
                        Dodge 8
                        Parry 7
                        Toughness 6 (2)
                        Fortitude 5
                        Will 10

Advantages
                        Combat • Accurate Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Fusion Cannons), Interpose, Takedown
                        Fortune • Luck 2
                        General • Equipment 19
                        Skill • Languages 2 (English, Japanese, Korean), Taunt,

Skills
                        Agility • Acrobatics 3 (+5)
                        Awareness • Perception 6 (+12)
                        Dexterity • Ranged Combat: Guns 3 (+11), Sleight of Hand 4 (+10), Vehicles 10 (+18)
                        Intellect • Expertise: Gaming Conflicts 6 (+10), Technology 10 (+16)
                        Presence • Deception 6 (+12)

Powers & Equipment
                        Flight SuitA form-fitting pilot suit designed for intense combat operations.Feature 1 (Insulation); Protection 4 • Removable (-1 point) • 4 points
                        Light GunA small handheld blaster used when the mech is out of commission.Damage 5, Increased Range: Ranged +1/R • Removable (-4 points) • 6 points

MEKA Combat ArmorThe powerful combat mechs employed by MEKA forces. • 105 base points, Removable (-21 points) • 84 points
                        AbilitiesD.Va's mech is strong and surprisingly quick despite its bulk.STR 6, AGI 1, DEX 5, FHT 4, AWA 5 • 34 points
                        DefensesThe mech is fast and defensible.Dodge 8, Parry 8, Toughness 10; Protection 6, Impervious +1/R • 32 points
                        Sensor ArrayA suite of light-combat sensors and comms systems.Communication 2 (Radio); Senses 3 (Accurate Radio, Darkvision 2) • 11 points
                        Armored UnitThe mech is compact and maneuverable.Growth 4, Increased Duration: Continuous +1/R, Innate +1, Permanent -1/R; Size Rank -1, Strength +4, Toughness +4, -2 Active Defenses; Feature 2 (Eject, Hidden Compartment) • 10 points
                        PropulsionD.Va is capable of battling on the ground or in the air.Array 8 base points • 9 points
                        BoostersThrusters allowing for short-range aerial combat.Flight 4 (16 MPH) • 8 points
                        AE: Speed 3 (8 MPH) • 3 (1) points
                        Weapons ArrayD.Va's mech has a powerful offensive and defensive suite — and an explosive surprise.Array 7 base points • 9 points
                        Fusion CannonsTwin short-range rotating cannons.Damage 10 [Ballistic], Multiattack +1/R, Diminished Range -3, Limited: Hindered While Firing -1 • 7 points
                        AE: Defense MatrixA projected short-range force field.Protection 5, Impervious +1/R, Reduced Trait (-2 Dodge, -2 Parry) • 6 (1) points
                        AE: Self-DestructNerf this!Damage 14 [Explosive], Area: Burst +1/R, Side Effect: Mech Suffers Full Damage -2/R • 7 (1) points

Abilities: 60 • Defenses: 18 • Advantages: 28 • Skills: 24 • Powers: 0 • Total: 130 Power Points

Complications
                        Thrills: Hana proudly serves in the MEKA (Mobile Exo-Force Korean Army), but make no mistake, she does it because she's the best there is.
                        Fame: She's famous and loves it (even streaming videos of her combat ops to millions of adoring fans).
                        Temper: Hana can get salty, as befits a passionate player with the drive to win!

History
                        After garnering acclaim as the best StarCraft II player in the world, Hana became the poster child for the Korean army's new division. Created to combat the Omnic menace, the MEKA forces were once drones only, but after they lost control of drones to the Omnic forces, the Korean government needed to recruit pilots. Gamers were among the elites chosen, with the skills and temperament to pilot mecha units to victory. Of those, Hana is the best, and has risen to worldwide prominence. She even streams "matches," videos of the combat ops she undergoes across the world.

Characteristics
                        Hana Song is proud, more than a little arrogant, and has attitude enough to outweigh her mech. The best part? She can back it up. Hana is not afraid to be the best, and definitely not afraid to show it. She's typically a bright and upbeat personality, entertaining her fans even as she battles terrible threats to the human race.

Abilities & Resources
                        On her own, Hana has quick reflexes and incredible skill honed over years of hardcore gaming. MEKA equips her with a flight suit and a small but potent energy pistol. However, her most famous weapon is a personalized mech. While piloting the mech, Hana becomes a one-girl army, with a potent weapons platform and high-powered defenses. She can rocket into battle and escape thanks to a combination of her skills and the mech's physical power. When her mech reaches its limits, D.Va has one final surprise: a self-destruct mechanism that provides a rather noticeable boom! Winky face!
                        Last edited by Lara Croft; 10-16-2016, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Re: Lara's Treasures: Spider-Gwen, Mercy, Pharah, D.Va online!

So, funny enough, despite having her own personal mecha, D.Va comes out to a lot fewer points than Mercy or Pharah. She'd undoubtedly beat up on Mercy in a fight, though, and D.Va against Pharah is anyone's game. She's not quite as maneuverable as Pharah in the air, and lacking in range, but she makes up for it in defensive power. With Defense Matrix, she can almost force a stalemate, making it difficult to harm her without overextending. Pharah has more battle experience and is by far the more complete soldier, but even a young D.Va can give her trouble. She's got the luck of the young and pretty, so don't underestimate her, or you're gonna end up a meme propagated by her legions of fans!

Comment

• Re: Lara's Treasures: Spider-Gwen, Mercy (Overwatch)

Originally posted by Lara Croft View Post
                            I ain't gonna lie, I totally ship 'em.

YUP. I ship 'em too, now. And I don't know anything about Pharah aside from what she looks like. But sometimes... that's enough .

Comment

• Re: Lara's Treasures: Spider-Gwen, Mercy, Pharah, D.Va online!

"Now I feel alive."

Widowmaker
                              Amélie Lacroix
                              Power Points: 246

Abilities
                              Strength 1, Stamina 3, Agility 6, Dexterity 8, Fighting 4, Intellect 3, Awareness 9, Presence 4

Combat
                              Unarmed
                              Widowmaker goes for the jugular. Or worse.
                              • Hit +8 vs. Parry
                              • Close
                              • Damage 1

Widow's Kiss (Sniper)
                              Beware the Widow's bite!
                              • Hit +12 vs. Dodge
                              • Ranged
                              • Damage 10

Widow's Kiss (Assault)
                              I think we should see other people.
                              • Hit +12 vs. Dodge
                              • Ranged
                              • Damage 5

Defense
                              Dodge 10
                              Parry 10
                              Toughness 8 (3)
                              Fortitude 8
                              Will 14

Advantages
                              Combat • Accurate Attack, Close Attack 4, Defensive Roll 5, Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Sniper), Improved Initiative
                              Enhanced • Attractive 2
                              Fortune • Luck
                              General • Equipment
                              Skill • Agile Feint, Attractive, Fascinate (Deception), Languages 1 (English, French), Taunt

Skills
                              Agility • Acrobatics 10 (+16), Stealth 14 (+20)
                              Awareness • Insight 9 (+18), Perception 10 (+19)
                              Dexterity • Ranged Combat: Guns 4 (+12), Sleight of Hand 6 (+14)
                              Intellect • Expertise: Criminal 9 (+12)
                              Presence • Deception 12 (+16), Intimidation 10 (+14)
                              Strength • Athletics 10 (+11)

Powers & Equipment
                              Cold-Blooded WidowWidowmaker's blue skin reflects the icewater running through her veins.Enhanced Advantage 1 (Attractive 1); Enhanced Defense 5 (Will 5); Immunity 7 (Cold, Heat, Emotion Effects 5) • 13 points
                              Widow's KissA high-tech rifle specially designed for Widowmaker.Array 22 base points, Removable (-10 points) • 14 points
                              Sniper RifleUne balle, un mort.Damage 10 [Ballistic], Accurate (+2) +1/r, Extended Range +1, Increased Range: Ranged +1/r; Senses 1 (Extended Vision) • 23 points
                              AE: Assault RifleFully automatic assault rifle.Damage 5, Increased Range: Ranged +1/r, Multiattack +1/r • 15 (1) points
                              Venom MineA poisonous mine fired from a wrist-launcher, capable of sticking to surfaces for delayed explosions.Damage 4, Area: Cloud +1/r, Increased Range: Ranged +1/r, Reaction: Enemy Proximity +3/r, Secondary Effect +1/r; Weaken Stamina 6, Area: Cloud +1/r, Increased Range: Ranged +1/r, Linked to Damage, Reaction: Enemy Proximity +3; Feature 1 (Device can attach to walls); Removable -11 points • 43 points
                              Grappling HookWrist-fired grappling hook allowing Widowmaker to quickly reach perches.Movement 1 (Swinging); Speed 3 (8 MPH), Subtle +1, Limited: Only While Swinging -1/r; Removable -1 point • 4 points
                              Widow's MasqueNo one can hide from my sight!Senses 11 (Darkvision 2, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Infravision Penetrates Concealment 5, Radius Vision, Tracking Infravision 1); Removable -3 points • 8 points

Abilities: 76 • Defenses: 15 • Advantages: 21 • Skills: 47 • Powers: 87 • Total: 246 Power Points

Complications
                              Duty: Having been thoroughly brainwashed, Widowmaker's only concern is the next mission Talon assigns her.
                              Enemy: Many, but most notably the members of Overwatch.
                              Quirk: Blue skin and blue hair make it difficult for Amélie to function among normal people, to say nothing of deadened emotions and malevolent glee.

History
                              Gérard Lacroix led Overwatch in many successful missions against the criminal organization Talon. In reprisal, Talon managed to kidnap Amélie and subject her to intense neural reconditioning. Their experimental procedures transformed her body, drastically lowering her heart rate and leaving her body cold, numbed to emotion, turning her skin blue. While Overwatch seemingly rescued Amélie and she returned to her normal life, two weeks later the sleeper command to murder Gérard made Amélie into the Widowmaker. She returned to join Talon. The organization's scientists crafted gear specifically for Widowmaker, turning her into perhaps the deadliest assassin alive. While former members of Overwatch have thwarted some of her missions, she has successfully assassinated world leaders and nearly reclaimed the powerful artifact of Doomfist. Widowmaker remains Talon's top operative.

Characteristics
                              Widowmaker is ice-cold. Literally. She feels no emotion save perhaps a tinge of twisted glee, though she can still prey on the feelings of others. Widowmaker seems to delight (in as much as she can feel anything) in taunting and demoralizing her foes, and in the pure beauty of the kill. Like the spider, she never feels more alive than when she makes her kill. Amélie is gone.

... or is she?

Abilities & Resources
                              Widowmaker has undergone intensive physical and neural conditioning. She's steady on the trigger and unshakeable in the face of danger. Her aim and perceptive powers are second to none. Talon's engineers created several potent gadgets to aid her on her missions. Widowmaker is equipped with grappling hooks, deadly venom mines, and the versatile Widow's Kiss, a high-powered sniper rifle that also doubles as an assault rifle. She also uses a helmet specifically designed to be used from the vantage points only Widowmaker can reach, enabling her to see the heat signatures of her victims.
                              Last edited by Lara Croft; 10-17-2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Re: Lara's Treasures: Spider-Gwen, Mercy, Pharah, D.Va, Widowmaker

Interestingly, Widowmaker comes out to the most expensive Overwatch character yet. That's largely because I designed her gear as devices, being as they're rather more significant than mere equipment. Also, since she (at least in the videos) can swing and shoot or use her venom mine on top of firing, I couldn't put it all into one array. The Equipment Advantage represents a knife or comm or whatever she needs for a particular mission. She has some great combat skills, but if deprived of her gear, Widowmaker is just a particularly nimble assassin. She's not great in an up-close fight and has little combat power outside of assassinations.

Comment

Working...
                                X