Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Lara's Treasure] Ridley, Mother Brain, Kraid, Metroid, Midoriya, OC: Dusk, the Legendary Cowgirl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lara's Treasures: Spider-Gwen!

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Yeah, with my DBZ builds, I actually threw out the "standard" power-scale and instead built every character at multiple PLs, "scaling them back" every time a new arc formed. Because Krillin by the "Frieza Saga" could have defeated Vegeta from the "Vegeta Saga" in about five seconds, but by the "Frieza Saga", Vegeta was now three or four times as powerful again. This meant I didn't have to keep building everyone up to insane levels (Krillin again was at least PL 12-14 by the "Vegeta Saga" ALONE- how much more powerful would he be a couple more seasons in?)- I could just "cycle back" to the original standards, since a lot of the tiers remained static, even as power grew.
    It's part of the problem with using the base PL system at all, really, for Dragon Ball. Goku, Piccolo, and Raditz could all blow up cities and mountains. They moved at supersonic speeds and while they didn't have the lifting capacities (meaningless as it ultimately is) of the paragons of Western comics, they hit hard enough to crush buildings, boulders, and so on. And that's nothing compared to later on. As shown above, Frieza effortlessly destroys planets. The knockback alone from their blows can shatter small mountains. At Super Saiyan 2 level, a fully powered energy blast can destroy entire solar systems. At Super Saiyan God level, physical blows can destroy planets. Energy blasts can destroy galaxies. Both can wipe out the entire universe if they get out of control.

But I mean, how do you constrain that in PL terms? Raditz, physically, is at a minimum PL 13. He's nothing compared to Nappa or Vegeta, and is so weak relatively he literally can't even hurt Frieza. In terms of like raw brute lifting ability or pure speed, they're not (at least until Cell Saga and later) as high as Superman or even Thor, but in striking power and energy blasts they're off the scale. I'm pretty sure even Superman or the Surfer would feel an energy blast that blew up the whole solar system.

So it's definitely a challenge making it work. I'm pretty sure I can do it in M&M or HERO, but M&M is so much easier in a lot of ways. Just takes some thinkin'. Tiers help, going PL-free helps (but I do that anyway), and I'll probably adopt the 2E Area rules because I have never liked the 3E version.
    Last edited by Lara Croft; 10-15-2016, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth-Two_Kenn View Post
      In my own campaign, I acknowledge PLs, as I recognise that they have some use to the larger game world, but I actually run my game with PL 10 characters and PL 14 characters on the same team (with a lot of 11 and 12s). So, it's debatable how much I actually use them.
      How has that been working for you? One thing I love about, say, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is that you can have Hawkeye or Wasp alongside Thor and Iron Man and not have anyone feel ripped off. While one character is obviously more powerful and feels that way, you have no trouble contributing just as much to a scene as the "weaker" characters. I've been hoping that M&M could do okay with it, too, but with slavish attention to hitting PL caps it seems like it'd struggle.
      Last edited by Lara Croft; 10-15-2016, 10:02 PM.

Comment

PL caps alone don't really matter so much unless you're min/maxing- I mean, ignoring PLs doesn't mean that the characters don't technically HAVE them, it just means that you're saving time on math . Some guys are only PL whatever in one certain category.
        Last edited by Jabroniville; 10-16-2016, 03:14 AM.
        Jabroniville at Hotmail dot com
        [url]http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/index.php[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Lara Croft View Post
          How has that been working for you? One thing I love about, say, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is that you can have Hawkeye or Wasp alongside Thor and Iron Man and not have anyone feel ripped off. While one character is obviously more powerful and feels that way, you have no trouble contributing just as much to a scene as the "weaker" characters. I've been hoping that M&M could do okay with it, too, but with slavish attention to hitting PL caps it seems like it'd struggle.
          It's all over the board, depending on the player. Keep in mind that I also run my campaign in the style that the Cosmic Handbook called "Troupe Play". The strongest best role-players in the group actually play at both the high-ends and the low-ends and in either case have to watch out that they don't dominate the scene, not because of their characters' powers (or lack thereof), but because they do the best job of paying attention and interacting and, I think, understanding the specific sub-genre I've been aiming for decades.

My weakest player tends to avoid aim for that middle, "safe" area. Even though it's troupe play, he conciously tries to keep towards the middle range. There was one asanine argument where I had to convince him that a character should be one PL higher. "She's a demi-goddess, AND she's the granddaughter of the setting's first truly super-powered hero, it really is okay." "But, I never saw her as being more powerful than (other character he plays)." "I can't help that; you're the one who wanted her parentage to tie back to __________ and __________; and I said okay." Sadly, what often ends up happening is that he tries to come up with ways to show-off and "prove" that his character's are as great as he thinks, and he ends up imitating what other people are already doing, and losing track of what's going on." Yeah, I know. Because he's a friend first and a gaming buddy second.

I have two players - they're betrothed in real life - who have each have a PL 12 character but the two can merge into one PL 14 character. And the number of sessions when both characters were present and they DIDN'T combine. I can count that number on one nose. But, it's not actually about their increased combat abilities. It's usually just because the magnitude of their crazy ideas, and the number of those ideas I go "sure, go ahead" seems to go up. They use their PL 11 characters so infrequently that I'm considering asking them to retire them.

So, I guess, overall, it's working okay. Combining troupe play and varied PLs so that each player, in theroy has a shot at playing anywhere in the range depending on mood and story. Plus, I've also had players want to change the PLs of one or more of their characters, and not always upward. "I think that as a PL 11, (my character) is too capable, can we depower him some?" Me: "Uh, okay." That player's other character is a Spectre-riff. He's one of those who can play both high and low.

Comment

Yeah, with my DBZ builds, I actually threw out the "standard" power-scale and instead built every character at multiple PLs, "scaling them back" every time a new arc formed. Because Krillin by the "Frieza Saga" could have defeated Vegeta from the "Vegeta Saga" in about five seconds, but by the "Frieza Saga", Vegeta was now three or four times as powerful again. This meant I didn't have to keep building everyone up to insane levels (Krillin again was at least PL 12-14 by the "Vegeta Saga" ALONE- how much more powerful would he be a couple more seasons in?)- I could just "cycle back" to the original standards, since a lot of the tiers remained static, even as power grew.
            Since I mentioned the game before, that is more or less the approach taken by Shonen Final Burst, a RPG dedicated to emulating fighting anime/manga of the shonen genre. At each new arc, most of the characters' traits reset back to that of a starting character. Of course, they are still as powerful or more than so than in the previous story, just now operating at a new scale of power: the dude stated out as a Boss (which is different in the system than regular foes) might just be a normal enemy now, or even a mook
            My Deviantart page

Comment

Re: blocking or deflecting planet/star busters.
              Limited (half) Immunity to planet buster attacks, plus Interpose?

Comment

Re: Lara's Treasures: Chun-Li, Poison, Cammy, Rose

"I'll be watching over you."

Mercy
                Dr. Angela Ziegler
                Power Points: 200

Abilities
                Strength 0 (2), Stamina 3, Agility 3, Dexterity 6, Fighting 4, Intellect 8, Awareness 8, Presence 7

Combat
                Unarmed
                A simple strike for last resort.
                • Hit +6 vs. Parry
                • Close
                • Damage 0 (2)

Caduceus Blaster
                A small handheld blaster that packs a surprising punch.
                • Hit +10 vs. Dodge
                • Ranged
                • Damage 5

Defense
                Dodge 8
                Parry 8
                Toughness 8 (3)
                Fortitude 8
                Will 12

Advantages
                Combat • Favored Environment (Air), Move-By Action
                Fortune • Inspire 3, Luck, Ultimate Effort (Treatment)
                General • Benefit 1 (Status: Overwatch Head of Medical Research), Diehard, Second Chance (Treatment), Teamwork
                Skill • Languages 2 (English, German), Skill Mastery 3 (Medicine, Science, Treatment)

Skills
                Agility • Acrobatics 6 (+10)
                Awareness • Insight 6 (+14), Perception 8 (+16)
                Dexterity • Ranged Combat: Guns 2 (+8)
                Fighting • Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+6)
                Intellect • Expertise: Medicine 17 (+25), Expertise: Science 16 (+24), Technology 4 (+12), Treatment 17 (+25)
                Presence • Persuasion 8 (+13)
                Strength • Athletics 4 (+4/+6)

Powers & Equipment
                Nanobiotic EnhancementAngela has enhanced her own body to resist aging and infirmity, as well as heal at increased rates.Immunity 4 (Aging, Disease, Poison, Starvation and Thirst), Limited: Half Effect -1; Regeneration 5 • 7 points
                Valkyrie SuitThe suit grants Mercy access to advanced nanobiology healing powers, making her a true guardian angel. • Removable (-4 points) • 16 points
                Angel ArmorThe Valkyrie suit protects Angela from harm while tending injuries in battle.Enhanced Ability 2 (Strength 2); Protection 5 • 9 points
                Guardian AngelMercy soars about the battlefield on luminous wings.Flight 4 (30 MPH), Wings -1/R • 4 points
                Nano-Enhanced SensesA nanobiological boost to Mercy's senses, better aiding her in healing the wounded.Senses 7 (Acute Analytical Detect Injury/Disease 2, Distance Sense, Extended Vision, Low-Light Vision • 7 points
                Caduceus StaffA potent artifact capable of supplying healing energies or boosting the strength of her allies.Array 29 base points, Removable (-12 points) • 19 points
                Healing BeamGolden light streams from the staff to Mercy's target, instantly healing wounds.Healing 10, Concentration +1/R, Increased Range: Ranged +1/R, Stabilize +1, Diminished Range -3, Limited: Others -1/R • 28 points
                Caduceus BlasterA small energy pistol capable of accurate sustained fire.Damage 5 [Energy], Accurate (+2) +1, Increased Range: Ranged +1/R • 10 (1) points
                Damage BoostBlue energy pours into the subject, boosting their damage output.Damage 4, Additive +0/R, Increased Range: Ranged +1/R • 8 (1) points
                ResurrectHeroes never die!Healing 15, Area: Burst +1/R, Resurrection +1/R, Limited: Others Only -1/R, Limited: Resurrect Only -1/R, Tiring -1/R • 15 (1) points

Abilities: 78 • Defenses: 19 • Advantages: 16 • Skills: 45 • Powers: 42 • Total: 200 Power Points

Complications
                Doing Good: Dr. Ziegler only wants to help people, especially those harmed by war.
                Honor: Driven by her oath to protect and heal, Angela will not condone actions like those that led to the fall of Overwatch.
                Pacifist: A healer at heart, Angela is a pacifist and only chooses to fight when innocent lives are at stake.

History
                A true prodigy, Angela Ziegler achieved her Doctorate and became head of a Swiss hospital after pioneering a breakthrough in applied nanobiology. The international peacekeeping organization Overwatch soon recruited her as their head of medical research. Dr. Ziegler helped create many potent medical devices and advances in medical science, especially in the fields of nanobiology. She designed her Valkyrie suit as the ultimate extension of that research, allowing her to treat wounded in battlefields, or heal her allies as Overwatch carried out dangerous missions. Ultimately, Overwatch fell and Angela could not heal the growing rift between Gabriel Reyes and John Morrison, the two leaders within the organization. Angela kept her Valkyrie suit and continued to heal those stricken by the Omnic Crisis and continued wars around the world.

Then Winston issued the Recall.... could Overwatch live again?

Characteristics
                Angela is an incredibly compassionate woman, devoted to the cause of healing and protection. She loathes violence and tyranny, and even disagreed with Overwatch's violent solutions to conflicts. Ziegler remained part of the organization because of the resources it afforded her to care for people on a much larger scale, but whether it's one life or a thousand, Angela fights equally hard to salve the wounds of war. She is a highly passionate and optimistic person, refusing to succumb to despair even in the midst of a crisis.

Abilities & Resources
                Angela Ziegler (callsign: "Mercy") is without a doubt the greatest medical prodigy the world has ever known. Her skills and knowledge are peerless; she's brilliant in more ways that one, a genius in the lab and a shining light to those in need. Her designs have led to the creation of several powerful tools: the Caduceus Staff allows her to rapidly heal the sick and injured or boost the strength of her allies, while the Valkyrie suit allows her to fly across battlefields in order to provide aid, protecting her from the hazards of battle. Its ultimate use allows her to even bring the recently dead back to life, an awesome power that makes her an unmatched presence on the battlefield.
                Last edited by Lara Croft; 10-16-2016, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Re: Lara's Treasures: Spider-Gwen, Mercy (Overwatch)

Nice Mercy! Probably Overwatch's most popular character now, for numerous reasons (90% of which are to do with the character design, which is phenomenal even for this series). What do you think of the fan theory that she's actually the Big Bad and has an extremely dark past?
                  Jabroniville at Hotmail dot com
                  [url]http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/index.php[/url]

Comment

So, Mercy came out to be fairly expensive in terms of points, though in raw power she doesn't have a ton. In the setting, she's the "brilliant scientist" archetype, a true medical prodigy. She's powerful in terms of healing, even able to resurrect recently dead allies (makes her a huge target in the game, with probably the most game-changing ultimate ability). Mercy isn't real great at fighting, but that's mostly because of pacifism. If someone with her knowledge decided to turn that toward hurting people, she'd probably make Reaper look like a slightly menacing old dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Lara Croft View Post
                      Good point. I considered earlier a Weaken Toughness effect linked to the Damage, but then forgot about it until you brought it up. Does help keep the numbers a little more manageable. If so, then all I need to do is figure out the speed thing and the way that area attacks work. Basically, projected impact area burst, as it were. You shoot a beam that detonates into an explosion at the point of impact. A character can block it and the explosion doesn't wipe out the planet. Or it can be deflected away and the explosion doesn't wipe out the planet. The character can aim it properly or hold back the area damage so that it doesn't wipe out the planet. But if it's left uncontrolled, or fired directly at the planet, it can completely destroy the world. Does that all make sense? How do we manage it?
                      Yea, I've seen a couple people use the Weaken Toughness -1 Flaw: Only for this attack (so it doesn't effect all future attacks) linked to Damage/Strength before and thought it was appropriate for "Super Attacks". I used it for a "just for fun" build of One Punch Man and it worked really well in a playtest I ran.

Comment

Nice Mercy! Probably Overwatch's most popular character now, for numerous reasons (90% of which are to do with the character design, which is phenomenal even for this series). What do you think of the fan theory that she's actually the Big Bad and has an extremely dark past?
                        Thanks! She's my favorite, but I love angels and healing abilities, and I really love her design. She's amazing. I'm working on trying to get her Witch costume.

As for the theory, it's amusing, but I don't buy it. I'll admit that I don't want to buy it, but I don't think the arguments hold up real well. A villain, for instance, blaming someone unjustly for their condition (DOOM being the biggest example) is pretty common. Reaper seems to think Mercy had something to do with his condition, but she doesn't seem to understand what has transformed him. Also, any theory that paints Reaper as heroically trying to stop the angel from turning more people into monsters doesn't really hold up, since ... it's Reaper. And Genji, the one she restored to life as a cyborg ninja, seems to embrace life with the vitality of youth. He's not a tortured individual chafing against life every waking second, and what torment he did have more stemmed from how he was injured than the cyborg body itself. Once he'd made peace with himself (for things that occurred before his near-death), he's back to a positive outlook and considers Mercy to have rescued him. There are a lot of other holes with the theory.

Ultimately, I think it's one of those interesting theories that you can spin by looking at things in a very particular way, but doesn't hold up and is really stretching to make something out of really nothing at all.

Comment

According to what keeps popping up on Tumblr, Imgur, etc., the other 10% is because of all the Pharah/Mercy fanart.

Comment

Originally posted by luketheduke86 View Post
                            According to what keeps popping up on Tumblr, Imgur, etc., the other 10% is because of all the Pharah/Mercy fanart.
                            I ain't gonna lie, I totally ship 'em.

Also, another thing regarding Reaper and Mercy: Reyes was a cold, murderous bastard even before the fight with Morrison that blew up the Swiss Headquarters. That place being a place where Mercy did a lot of her work, who knows what all was in that lab? A catastrophic explosion in a place full of advanced nanobiology and similar tech completely altered Reyes' genetic code, turning him into Reaper. It's implied that Mercy tried to save him afterward, but it seems likely that whatever had happened to him either reacted with her healing powers or had already changed him so completely it didn't "take" like normal. Their few conversational lines can be taken a variety of ways, but none of them really support the theory that Mercy is actually a villain.

Comment

"Pharah, reporting for duty!"

Pharah
                              Fareeha Amari
                              Power Points: 197

Abilities
                              Strength 6 (2), Stamina 4, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Fighting 7, Intellect 3, Awareness 8, Presence 7

Combat
                              Unarmed
                              An armor-clad punch.
                              Hit +10 vs. Parry
                              Close
                              Damage 6 (2 unarmored)

Rockets
                              Powerful single-shot rockets.
                              Hit +10 vs. Dodge
                              Ranged
                              Damage 10 (7 Area-based)

Concussive Blast
                              Non-damaging propulsion-burst projectile.
                              Hit - Area Burst (30 feet)
                              Ranged
                              Move Object 6 (used for pushing objects only)

Defense
                              Dodge 10 (6)
                              Parry 10
                              Toughness 10 (4)
                              Fortitude 9
                              Will 9

Advantages
                              Combat Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Favored Environment (Air), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Rockets), Move-By Action
                              Enhanced Evasion
                              Fortune Inspire 4, Luck 2
                              General Assessment, Benefit: Security Clearance, Teamwork
                              Skill Connected

Skills
                              Agility Acrobatics 6 (+10)
                              Awareness Insight 2 (+10), Perception 8 (+16)
                              Dexterity Ranged Combat: Raptora Weapons 7 (+10)
                              Fighting Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+10)
                              Intellect Expertise: Military 8 (+11), Technology 2 (+5), Treatment 2 (+5)
                              Presence Persuasion 4 (+11)

Powers & Equipment
                              Raptora Mark VI An experimental combat suit designed for aerial superiority in battle. Removable (-18 points) 72 points
                              Powered Armor Agile, flexible, but durable enough to endure heavy fire. Enhanced Ability 4 (Strength 4); Feature 1 (Insulated Armor); Protection 6, Imperious +1/R 21 points
                              Sensor Systems Advanced sensors to give Pharah the tactical edge. Communication 2 [Radio]; Senses 13 (Accurate Radio Extended 3 [Radar], Darkvision, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Extended Vision, Infravision, Time Sense, Ultra-Hearing) 21 points
                              Jump Jets Pharah soars like a majestic raptor. Enhanced Advantage 1 (Evasion); Enhanced Defenses 4 (Dodge 4); Flight 5 (60 MPH), Wings -1/R 10 points
                              Raptora Rockets Pharah can launch a devastating barrage of rockets from on high. Array 36 base points 38 points
                              Rocket Barrage Justice rains from above! Damage 12 [Explosive], Area: Cone (250 feet) +3/R (Partial: 8 ranks), Multiattack +1/R, Tiring -1/R 36 points
                              AE: Rocket Launcher A powerful rocket launcher built into the arm of the suit. Damage 10 [Explosive], Area: Burst +1/R (Partial: 7 ranks), Increased Range: Ranged +1/R 27 (1) points
                              AE: Concussive Blast A rocket-propelled grenade designed to clear an area of obstructions. Move Object 6, Area: Burst +1/R, Limited Direction (Away from blast) -1/R, Reduced Duration: Instant -1/R 6 (1) points

Abilities: 76 Defenses: 11 Advantages: 17 Skills: 21 Powers: 72 Total: 197 Power Points

Complications
                              Justice: Pharah is a protector, a leader, someone who will see her people through any crisis.
                              Honor: While Pharah will battle any threat to peace and justice, she does so with a strong code of honor.
                              Responsibility: As a member of Helix Security International and formerly the Egyptian army, Pharah is no stranger to responsibility.

History
                              Fareeha grew up idolizing the larger-than-life heroes of Overwatch not least because her mother Ana Amari was one of its founding members! Overwatch disbanded before Pharah could join, but she still served her country in the Egyptian military. Later, the firm Helix Security International acquired Fareeha's services and granted her the experimental Raptora Mark VI combat suit. Under the callsign "Pharah," the young Amari made great strides against the Omnics, protecting vital installations and carrying out high-priority missions across the world. She recently reunited with her mother, thought dead for over a decade, and has once again felt the call of Overwatch as the organization seems poised to rise from its ashes....

Characteristics
                              Fareeha is committed, unfailingly loyal, and brave. She will take up any cause in the name of justice, fighting to defend the ideals her mother instilled in her. Pharah is a dedicated warrior, but she knows how to enjoy life as only a high-flying daredevil can. Fareeha still idolizes her heroes in Overwatch, remaining inspired by them even as she inspires her allies to persevere through any test.

Abilities & Resources
                              Pharah is highly skilled in battle, undergoing training by the Egyptian military, Helix, and most importantly Ana, one of the founding members of Overwatch. Her preferred weapon is the Raptora Mark VI combat suit, which allows her to retain aerial superiority in any battle. With it she can soar above her enemies, weaving through fire as she dispatches devastating rocket barrages. Equipped with the latest in sensor suites and flexible combat plating, the suit provides her with significant protection while allowing for maximum maneuverability. Combined with her skill in battle, the Raptora makes Pharah the deadliest combatant in any engagement.

Comment

Re: Lara's Treasures: Spider-Gwen, Mercy, Pharah

So, I'm not sure on Pharah's Concussive Blast. Move Object doesn't really have a save normally, but with it being an area effect, I figure people can make a Dodge save to reduce its effect. Affliction doesn't really fit perfectly, either, though a limited version might work. In theory, though, since she can use it to clear obstructions (to JUSTICE!), I figured Area Burst Move Object worked the best.

Also, I'm totally making use of the scatter rules in Gadget Guides, which could use a few more examples of how direct hit explosives work (and is also applicable to the Dragon Ball stuff).

Comment

Working...
                                X