Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Lara's Treasure] Ridley, Mother Brain, Kraid, Metroid, Midoriya, OC: Dusk, the Legendary Cowgirl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lara's Treasures: Lara, Samus Aran, Spider-Woman, Elsa, Claire Redfield, Chell, Chun-Li, Mantis

In case you see the thread title: no, not that Mantis. This is an original character I made originally for the Marvel Universe mostly, but could be used in more or less any comics universe. I'd like to play her in a game sometime.

Comment

Poison

Theme

"I'm stronger and hotter than you! You can't compete!"

POISON
      POWER POINTS: 100

ABILITIES
      STR 2 • STA 4
      AGL 4 • DEX 4
      FHT 6 • INT 3
      AWA 3 • PRE 5

COMBAT
      Unarmed +10 • Close • Damage 2
      Riding Crop +10 • Close • Damage 3
      Thunder Whip +10 • Close • Damage 7
      Love Storm +10 • Close • Damage 3
      Aeolus Edge +9 • Ranged • Damage 7
      Initiative +4

DEFENSES
      Dodge 9 • Parry 9 • Toughness 8 (4 if vulnerable)
      Fortitude 8 • Will 9 • Knockback -4

SKILLS
      Acrobatics 6 (+10) • Athletics 4 (+8) • Deception 7 (+12) • Insight 4 (+7) • Intimidation 4 (+9) • Perception 6 (+9) • Ranged Combat: Energy 5 (+9)

ADVANTAGES
      Accurate Attack • Assessment • Attractive • Close Attack 4 • Defensive Roll 4 • Equipment 1 • Evasion • Improved Smash • Improved Trip • Taunt

POWERS & EQUIPMENT
      LOVE GODDESS: Array • [Chi, Training] • 16 points
      AEOLUS EDGE: Damage [Chi] 7, Ranged +1 • 14 points
      •THUNDER WHIP: Damage 4 [Electric], Strength-based, Activation: Move (-1), Distracting -1 • 1 point • 1 point
      •LOVE STORM: Damage 6 [Kinetic], Strength-based, Multiattack +1, Tiring -1 • 6 points • 1 point
      ACROBATIC FIGHTER: Speed 2 (8 MPH) • [Training] • 2 points
      MAD GEAR: Riding Crop (Damage 1) • Cell Phone • Handcuffs • Video Recorder 2 [Equipment] • 1 EP

ABILITIES 31 + SKILLS 18 + ADVANTAGES 15 + DEFENSES 18 + POWERS 18 = TOTAL: 100

COMPLICATIONS
      Thrills: Poison glams it up onstage and off out of a desire to live life to the max! Music and martial arts are the perfect tag team!
      Fame: Poison is famous as a manager of her own wrestling organization.
      Greed: Poison is not one to pass up an opportunity for riches and fame.
      Reputation: Former Mad Gear member, known for her antics in the ring.

HISTORY
      Always a troublemaker, Poison joined up with the Metro City's Mad Gear gang in her youth. She fought against Haggar, Cody and Guy as they attempted to rescue Haggar's daughter Jessica from Mad Gear. Poison left Mad Gear some time before the gang collapsed and became the manager of a professional wrestling organization. She left behind her life of crime, at least offscreen, but when her organization's ratings faltered, Poison sought a new opportunity. She entered the S.I.N. martial arts tournament to scout out new talent, drum up some interest and break her boredom.

PERSONALITY
      Poison is a wild one. She regularly engages in crazy antics and loves to show off, whether it's her curves, her kicks or her wrestling organization. Poison taunts her opponents at the same time as she lures them in with her looks, and she enjoys taking people down a peg. She lives the glam-rocker lifestyle of loud music, crazy parties, boisterous claims and larger-than-life personalities.

ABILITIES & RESOURCES
      Poison's fighting style combines acrobatic wrestling maneuvers with punishing street fighting techniques. She fights dirty, seizing every opportunity and capitalizing on every weakness. Years of brawling have made her tough and quick on her feet. She taunts her foes, distracting them with looks and attitude. Like many of the world's best fighters, Poison can tap into her inner chi energy and use it as a short-ranged energy attack. Skill and improvisation allow Poison to hold her own against anyone.

Originally posted by Complex Identity
      Poison is awesome. I don't normally like the real sexpot-type characters, but her attitude and look makes it work. I'm having a lot of fun playing as her on USFIV, where she actually gets some respect and has the best ending in Street Fighter history. Unfortunately, those who know her history also know that it's full of disrespect as a character and lots of transphobic BS. Short version: she debuted in the Final Fight series and was named after the band Poison by a female employee at Capcom. One of the developers figured that in America, hitting women would be seen poorly, so she was changed to a transgender woman, as though that somehow erases the "woman" part. Given how toxic online communities can be, especially gamers and the fighting game community, you can imagine how this has worked out. Initially, Poison was pre-op in Japan and post-op here, and usually that's how it's perceived.

Transgender rights are something near and dear to my heart, so I wanted to be up front about all this. I don't imagine I would on this forum, but if I see any of the usual "Poison is a man" "lawl whr Pzn pns?" and stuff, I will report it. The Japanese are pretty bad about this kind of thing, but sadly America isn't much better. In the abominable Street Fighter x Tekken, they originally had a bunch of crap like that in game, yet another reason to dislike it (besides it being a poor fighting game). Eventually they changed it, and I'm glad to see that Poison actually gets the equal treatment she deserves in Ultra Street Fighter IV.
      Last edited by Lara Croft; 08-21-2014, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Re: Lara's Treasures: Lara, Samus, Spider-Woman, Elsa, Claire Redfield, Chell, Chun-Li, Mantis, Pois

And for those who are curious, here is Poison's prologue and her ending from Ultra Street Fighter IV. Note that the ending is possibly the best in any fighting game ever: she manages to get Cody, Guy, Hugo, Rolento, Ken and Ryu to don facepaint, form a KISS-style glam-rock band with Hadoken pyrotechnics. Awesome.

Comment

Re: Lara's Treasures: Lara, Samus, Spider-Woman, Elsa, Claire Redfield, Chell, Chun-Li, Mantis, Pois

Huh- that's interesting about Poison! I could never figure out what the "real" story was with that character- so you're saying Japan copied the Western idea that she was trans/a crossdresser, and it's snowballed from there into her being different on each side of the Pacific? Weird.

I also found it a bit surprising that Japan is more transphobic than the West, since Japan is more typically open to gay-related stuff- though in that case, it's often just used as fanservice in shows. Plenty of kid shows used gay characters, as a Sailor Moon fan no doubt already knows. I've read more than a few manga that were themed around someone switching between male & female as well- stuff you'd almost NEVER read about until the modern era of comics, and even then not in Marvel or DC (that I can think of off the top of my head, anyways). I want to know more about that- where should I look?
          Jabroniville at Hotmail dot com
          http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
            Huh- that's interesting about Poison! I could never figure out what the "real" story was with that character- so you're saying Japan copied the Western idea that she was trans/a crossdresser, and it's snowballed from there into her being different on each side of the Pacific? Weird.
            No, as far as I know, it originated in Japan. The Japanese developer figured it would be offensive in America that the characters were beating up women, so they changed her into a transgender woman. Like I said, one of those things where "haha, she dresses like a woman, looks like one, acts like one, feels like one, but because she hasn't had the surgery yet she's really a man!" is the lesson learned there. Which is, to say the least, offensively ignorant. At any rate, eventually it changed so that they decided Poison is post-op here in the States, in Japan she's still considered pre-op, and then the developer sort of waffled on it and decided to let fans decide. Or something.

Street Fighter x Tekken originally contained a lot of really disheartening comments in the game about Poison. Characters remarking that they felt like they were fighting a guy, Kuma saying Poison smelled like a man, etc., all a bunch of crap. That the game was terrible as a fighter only served to highlight the lack of respect for Poison and the fans. And Poison's fans, for that matter, which despite the juvenile comments on message boards, she has quite a few. Go searching for Poison fan art and cosplay. There's a lot of fun stuff!

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
            I also found it a bit surprising that Japan is more transphobic than the West, since Japan is more typically open to gay-related stuff- though in that case, it's often just used as fanservice in shows. Plenty of kid shows used gay characters, as a Sailor Moon fan no doubt already knows. I've read more than a few manga that were themed around someone switching between male & female as well- stuff you'd almost NEVER read about until the modern era of comics, and even then not in Marvel or DC (that I can think of off the top of my head, anyways). I want to know more about that- where should I look?
            To give you an example, the term often used in Japan for a character like Poison is "newhalf." Ugh. Unfortunately, gender issues (including transgender issues) suffer pretty greatly in Japan. They suffer here, too, for that matter, so it's not like we're speaking from a position of strength. At least America's slowly gaining ground in that regard, but still nowhere near where it needs to be. With Japan, a lot of it seems to be ignorant insensitivity, rather than outright malice, which is something, I guess? The problem is once you start to see it, you realize how much of it is either borne of ignorance but hurtful all the same or directly just mean-spirited, like the treatment of Lois Einhorn in a movie I enjoyed when I was young and didn't realize its transphobic treatment of her, Ace Ventura: The Pet Detective.

As for your question, it's a good one. Here are a few articles I found with a quick search, but there's definitely more out there. I'll look into some resources for you:

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/transge...-anime-boston/
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...nime_and_manga (So you can look up individual series)
            https://odorunara.com/2014/05/20/rev...-manga-part-1/

Comment

Cammy White

Theme

"My friends are not my weakness, but my strength!"

CAMMY
              POWER POINTS: 158

ABILITIES
              STR 2 • STA 4
              AGL 8 • DEX 6
              FHT 8 • INT 4
              AWA 4 • PRE 4

COMBAT
              Unarmed +11 • Close • Damage 2
              Gyro Drive Smasher +11 • Close • Damage 10
              Initiative +12

DEFENSES
              Dodge 11 • Parry 10 • Toughness 10 (4 if vulnerable)
              Fortitude 8 • Will 10 • Knockback -2

SKILLS
              Acrobatics 8 (+16) • Athletics 12 (+14) • Deception 6 (+10) • Expertise: Military 6 (+10) • Intimidation 6 (+10) • Investigation 2 (+6) • Perception 6 (+10) • Stealth 4 (+12) • Vehicles 4 (+10)

ADVANTAGES
              Accurate Attack • Agile Feint • All-Out Attack • Attractive • Chokehold • Close Attack 3 • Defensive Attack • Defensive Roll 6 • Evasion • Grabbing Finesse • Improved Critical (Unarmed) • Improved Initiative • Move-By Action • Power Attack • Skill Mastery: Acrobatics

POWERS & EQUIPMENT
              DELTA RED TRAINING: Leaping 1 (15 feet) • Movement 1 (Sure-Footed) • Speed 2 (6 MPH) • [Training] • 5 points
              GYRO DRIVE SMASHER: Damage [Strength] 8, Multiattack +1, Reach 1, Tiring -1 • [Training] • 9 points

ABILITIES 80 + SKILLS 27 + ADVANTAGES 22 + DEFENSES 15 + POWERS 14 = TOTAL: 158

COMPLICATIONS
              Responsibility: Cammy fights to protect her homeland and her friends from the likes of Shadaloo, the evil organization that once controlled her.
              Enemy: Many, chief of which is M. Bison.
              Relationship: Her teammates, but especially the other Dolls.
              Temper: When irritated, Cammy can get very short-tempered.

HISTORY
              M. Bison's own Psycho Power slowly consumed his body. To escape this fate, he created new clone bodies and intended to inhabit these after his original form decayed. Cammy was one such clone, part of a group called "the Dolls," soulless assassins sent to do Bison's work while he prepared for the soul transfer. Cammy had a spiritual awakening to awareness after encountering Dhalsim; afterward, she turned against Bison, freeing the other Dolls and helping to dismantle Shadaloo. In the wake of Shadaloo's downfall, Cammy helped the other Dolls to gain awareness and find a place in the world. When a new tournament sponsored by the organization S.I.N. stirred rumor's of Bison's return, Cammy went to investigate alongside Chun-Li. She helped destroy an illegal dam causing a drought in Dhalsim's village, took revenge upon Juri for an attack on the other Dolls, and helped put down the remnants of Shadaloo.

PERSONALITY
              Cammy is very strong-willed and determined. Born from evil, she realizes that people can strive to greater heights and fights to make sure they have that chance. She won't tolerate abuse of those who can't defend themselves. A military woman, Cammy is highly disciplined and respectful. Once given, her word is unbreakable, and she will do anything for those she cares about. Cammy holds a positive outlook on life despite her troubled past, and hopes that others can overcome their own demons.

ABILITIES & RESOURCES
              Cammy's Delta Red training makes her a superior combatant. She relies on speed and agility rather than brute force, though she knows many brutal fighting techniques. Her style is quick and aggressive, preferring to get close and overwhelm her opponents with a series of acrobatic attacks. She has versatile training in other military techniques, although she usually eschews weapons in favor of her own body.

Bison once told Cammy that she possessed a small fraction of his Psycho Power. While Cammy has yet to demonstrate any affinity for this evil psychic force, it's possible the seeds remain planted for her to channel its dark energy.

Comment

Re: Lara's Treasures: Chun-Li, Poison, Cammy

Here's a great fan made documentary on the history of Poison. There is a second part with corrections and further research.

Comment

Re: Cammy White

Originally posted by Lara Croft View Post
                  Theme

"My friends are not my weakness, but my strength!"

Those pony tails on the other hand...
                  [QUOTE=Enigmatic One;178799][FONT=Verdana]Note to self, get Bruce and his Bat-force to take this one.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m9d5ob31w5pfjw/Earth%20218.pdf?dl=0"]Earth 218 - JLA Academy Setting[/URL]
                  [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/28-Blade-s-Third-Edition-Builds?p=109&viewfull=1#post109"]Blade's Builds[/URL]

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/1554-The-Merge-3E-(OOC)?p=124944#post124944"]The Merge Character Sheet Lists[/URL]
                  [URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/4284-The-Merge-Cosmic-Quandaries-3e-Interest-check?p=167246&viewfull=1#post167246"]The Cosmic Merge Character Sheet List[/URL]

Comment

The neat thing about some of the early Capcom dames is that they actually look like they could kick some ass. While "Female Fighters" in most games look like innocent little girls or teenagers in street clothes, Chun-Li & Cammy have rippling muscles, angry faces, and freakin' metal-spiked gauntlets or hardcore Punch-Gloves- these ain't no damn wilting flowers. Cammy is a TEENAGE GIRL and nonetheless looks like she could take out a thug or two, even in real life.

I always got a kick out of the way Capcom would list the heights and weights of their fighters, but Chun-Li was like "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHAT I WEIGH!!!" Not that they would have gotten in right, anyhow- the ripped, built Ryu only weighs about 150 lbs., and GODDAMN SAGAT is supposed to be 7'4" 175 lbs.! Unless he's made of Styrofoam and Kleenex, there ain't no way.

That Poison video/essay is great- is it wrong that my first thought about "in America she's post-op, in Japan she's non-op" is that "What, does it GROW BACK when she was in Japan", and then I immediately went "wow, it's a good thing real-life transitioners don't have Regenerative powers..."

I remember when I was a teenage boy first hearing about the Poison thing (I'd heard the "it's a male that dresses like a girl" story) I had your standard Teenage Boy reaction to finding out a smoking-hot chick is actually a dude- all "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" These days, I like to think I'm more civilized and kind about it- I didn't have anywhere near the same reaction when I found out that super-tall 6'8" model Amazon Eve was born male and "transitioned" to female.
                    Last edited by Jabroniville; 08-31-2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Well, I've got no problem with transgender people in video games as long as it's honestly done. This whole thing just sounds like a weird exercise in seeing how far a designers personal fetish could be pushed into the game without somehow affecting sales, rather than an honest attempt to introduce a transgender character into the game. There's way too much qualifying as to pre-op, post-op, non-op for Poison to be a transgender character added to promote diversity. Honestly, if the character were originally created with diversity in mind, then 'transgender' would be all that's necessary without all the gobbldigook qualifiers.

The whole thing reminds me of adding "virgin" or "promiscuous" or "polyamorous" or "bi-curious" or what have you to a heteronormative character or whether a gay character has a partner or not. It's completely unnecessary and adds nothing to the character...especially from a fighting game perspective, where you aren't going to get through a fight and then play out a scene where the character goes home to their significant other and cooks dinner and gets a footrub.

AND if you're going to have a manga based on the game where such a thing might be explored, then just be confident in your decision and go with it.

Comment

Yeah ive never thought of Poison as anything but female, and the notion that she was trans to me honestly never flew because why? its ok for gay/males to be beat up or get punched in the face? A girl cant fight back? ridiculous excuses. If Chun Li proved anything a girl can kick butt forget the names and do it with the big boys any day of the week and twice on sunday. Im with Horsen in that I have no issues with trans or gay people in games but at least be honest and believable with the character, don't throw it in as an after thought or an excuse because people might get upset about a girl fighting.
                        Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/79-Showdown-at-the-Litterbox-New-Stuff?p=554&viewfull=1#post554"]Showdown at the Litterbox[/URL]

[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563]Catsi stories[/url]

Comment

She definitely wasn't made transgender to promote diversity; it was an afterthought to "make it okay to hit a girl," as though her being trans meant she didn't count as a real girl, or that somehow it excused violence in general. Now, I agree: Chun-Li, Cammy, Rose and the others prove that there's no reason women can't kick ass in a fighting game, and Poison is no exception. That she does so with the whole '80s-style glam rocker vibe makes it even more awesome.

I'm all for better representation of LGBT folks in anything, including fighters, although we have a long way to go. I hope Tekken x Street Fighter is better in this regard than its predecessor. It having the SF characters in it would actually make me interested in a Tekken game, so I might play it if it's free of such heinous transphobia. That is, if it ever comes out.

In the meantime, I've been using Poison in USFIV and she's pretty fun. Actually, a lot of characters are: Chun-Li, of course (my fave!), Rose, Oni, Poison, Cody, lots others. There are 44 fighters in the game, so there's probably one for everyone! If by chance any of you play on PS3, let me know. I'd be glad to play you sometime.

Comment

Rose

Theme

"You're nervous, aren't you?"

ROSE
                            POWER POINTS: 206

ABILITIES
                            STR 1 • STA 3
                            AGL 4 • DEX 7
                            FHT 6 • INT 5
                            AWA 8 • PRE 4

COMBAT
                            Unarmed +10 • Close • Damage 1
                            Soul Spark +11 • Ranged • Damage 8
                            Illusion Spark +10 • Close • Damage 10 + Affliction 10
                            Initiative +4

DEFENSES
                            Dodge 8 • Parry 10 • Toughness 7 (3 if vulnerable)
                            Fortitude 6 • Will 14 • Knockback -3

SKILLS
                            Acrobatics 4 (+8) • Athletics 4 (+5) • Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+10) • Deception 6 (+10) • Expertise: Occult 4 (+9) • Insight 10 (+18) • Perception 8 (+16) • Ranged Combat: Soul Power 4 (+11) • Sleight of Hand 6 (+13) • Stealth 6 (+10)

ADVANTAGES
                            Assessment • Attractive • Defensive Roll 4 • Improved Trip • Instant Up • Luck 2 • Ritualist • Taunt • Trance

POWERS & EQUIPMENT
                            SOUL POWER: Array • [Mystic] • 33 points
                            ILLUSION SPARK: Damage [Psychic] 10, Affects Insubstantial 2, Alt Resistance: Will +1, Reach 3, Tiring -1 • Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), Linked to Damage, Reach 3 • 28 points
                            •AP: SOUL HEALING: Healing 9, Restorative +1, Stabilize 1 • 28 points • 1 point
                            •AP: SOUL ILLUSION: Illusion [Mental] 9 (Hearing, Visual 2), Area: Burst +1, Independent +1, Reduced Range -2 • 27 points • 1 point
                            •AP: SOUL SPARK: Damage [Psychic] 8, Alt Resistance: Will +1, Increased Range +1 • 24 points • 1 point
                            •AP: SOUL RREFLECT: Deflect 10, Reflect +1 • 20 points • 1 point
                            •AP: SOUL PIRAL: Damage [Psychic, Strength] 6, Alt Resistance: Will +1 • 12 points • 1 point
                            PSYCHIC LINK: Communication [Mental] 3 • [Mind, Mystical] • 12 points
                            PSYCHIC SENSES: Senses 8 (Mental Awareness [Extended 2], Danger Sense [Mental] 1, Precognition 4 • [Mind, Mystic] • 8 points
                            SOUL TRAVEL: Array • [Mystic] • 9 points
                            SOUL ALOFT: Flight 4 (25 MPH) • [Mystic] • 8 points
                            •AP: SOUL WARP: Teleport 4 (120 feet) • [Mystic, Space] • 8 points • 1 point

ABILITIES 76 + SKILLS 28 + ADVANTAGES 13 + DEFENSES 17 + POWERS 62 = TOTAL: 206

COMPLICATIONS
                            Responsibility: As the personification of Bison's expelled good side, Rose feels an overwhelming responsibility to bring Bison down.
                            Enemy: Bison and his organization, Shadaloo.
                            Obsession: Destroying Bison's evil once and for all.
                            Secret: Few know that Rose inherited all the good in M. Bison's soul when he expelled it and became pure evil.

HISTORY
                            Rose's history is shrouded in mystery and dark dreams. She is connected to Bison, and has reasons for opposing him perhaps more personal than anyone else. At one time, they shared a soul, until Bison expelled all the good in his soul in a bid to master his corrupted Psycho Power. That goodness was born as Rose, who has since used her Soul Power to hunt and oppose Bison's evil wherever it is found. She dreams of seeing him destroyed one day, and knows that she will be instrumental in his destruction. Several times Rose has participated in that destruction, in the various World Warrior tournaments or other battles, and she believes Ryu will be Bison's ultimate undoing.

PERSONALITY
                            Rose is a thoughtful and intelligent woman, prone to speaking in riddles. Though she was born of a man's pure evil, Rose is kind and compassionate and often sacrifices her own well-being for the greater good. Indeed she is prepared to give her life to rid the world of Bison's evil, if need be. Where she can help in the lives of others, she does, healing wounds of the heart and spirit. Her own destiny and that of others weighs heavily on her mind, and often she turns to the tarot for answers.

ABILITIES & RESOURCES
                            Soul Power is the pure form of Bison's corrupted Psycho Power. It is psychic power derived from the strength of one's soul. With it, Rose can perform many miraculous feats, such as levitation or projecting damaging bolts of spiritual energy. Rose can also look into the hearts and minds of others and sometimes see their dreams, for good or ill. With Soul Power she can heal the mind and spirit, allowing her to repair damage from psychic attacks or brainwashing, and in extreme cases even rewrite someone's life and give her a new chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lara Croft View Post
                              She definitely wasn't made transgender to promote diversity; it was an afterthought to "make it okay to hit a girl," as though her being trans meant she didn't count as a real girl, or that somehow it excused violence in general. Now, I agree: Chun-Li, Cammy, Rose and the others prove that there's no reason women can't kick ass in a fighting game, and Poison is no exception. That she does so with the whole '80s-style glam rocker vibe makes it even more awesome.

I'm all for better representation of LGBT folks in anything, including fighters, although we have a long way to go. I hope Tekken x Street Fighter is better in this regard than its predecessor. It having the SF characters in it would actually make me interested in a Tekken game, so I might play it if it's free of such heinous transphobia. That is, if it ever comes out.

In the meantime, I've been using Poison in USFIV and she's pretty fun. Actually, a lot of characters are: Chun-Li, of course (my fave!), Rose, Oni, Poison, Cody, lots others. There are 44 fighters in the game, so there's probably one for everyone! If by chance any of you play on PS3, let me know. I'd be glad to play you sometime.
                              At GenCon, I sat in on a Diversity in Gaming panel led by some folks from Pathfinder. It was pretty good, although it was basically "we're sorry, we're trying but we have a bunch of hetero white guys working for us and we make mistakes so bear with us". I was pleasantly surprised how much they talked about adding LGBT diversity to their flagship characters. They made it a point to make some of their core characters homosexual and bi, and even have one that started as a guy and became a woman.

And if you look at the 5E D&D PHB, there is hardly any art of the standard white fighter guys. Lots of different ethnicities and I can't remember who mentioned it interview but one of the developers from Wizards talked about how they want to be standard for diversity in RPG gaming, so it's getting there. As a black guy, we're even bigger minority in the gaming community than in general society and it's taken a while to get more inclusion in the video and tabletop world, so it's changing for the better in that area for all minorities.

That being said, I might dust off the old PS3 and let you beat me up sometime. I haven't played that game in ages, and actually, I should probably check to see if my son hasn't sold it for Xbox games.
                              The Thorpacolypse
                              Member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent since 2005
                              Co-Chair of the Council of 13
                              "Hate you can trust"

Comment

Re: Lara's Treasures: Chun-Li, Poison, Cammy, Rose

Part of the issue is that D&D and most of its rip-offs were based off of European Fantasy and Tolkien's stuff. Tolkien notably used very few black people (if any), and the only non-whites seem to be those Evil Arab-Looking Elephant-Riders. Oh yeah, and that the entire company was made of white guys.

Reminds me of when I was drawing guys for our writing community, and drew one of the black guy's characters as white, because he didn't mention her race in the description, and I naturally defaulted. He was like "Dude, you all keep forgetting that I'm BLACK- of COURSE most of my characters are going to be black!"

Diversity is great because it makes things more INTERESTING- one of the advantages of Fighting Games is that it makes perfect sense for an international cast (coming across less strained than when comics does it), and why NOT add someone who doesn't fit normal standards of gender in there, if there's like sixty other characters? It makes Poison stand out- if she wasn't transgender, then she'd just be Another Scantily-Clad Chick. Her transness is in fact the only INTERESTING THING ABOUT HER. And her dated appearance (SO EIGHTIES).

Though yeah, it seems pretty clear for me that Poison was created to be someone's fetish in the early days, leading to a lot of misinformation and problematic discussions with the creators later on. But that's no reason why she can't mean something NOW- I mean, if you're transgender, then who ELSE are you going to identify with? It reminds me of something another person I know online said- "Imagine growing up where no one on TV looks like you". It's easy for normal white folks in North America to feel that it's not necessary, but if someone has so FEW people to identify with in the media, then they're going to glomp all the more onto the few who DO.

About Rose- truthfully, I never cared for her. Her outfit looks weird, she doesn't look like a fighter, and her origin is goofy. It reminds me of how... ODD... Street Fighter eventually became. I remember when only their Magic Super-Moves and Blanka were the super-unreal bits, and kinda preferred it that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X