Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Writeups.org -- M&M stats discussion, repository and pub

My thoughts on mass:
    mass is consequential for some powers. In cases where you don't want to use the full Growth power and want to just add mass, I think each rank of Feature (mass) should cover up to about 2 ranks of mass. My reasoning is that Second Chance (things that your mass would make difficult) would be about +3, and there is also a "floor" effect in that some effects will simply not be able to lift you at all, although there is the tradeoff that your allies may need extra ranks of powers to teleport/fly/transform you. For 10 ranks of Growth, increased mass seems to "cost" about 8 points for 10 ranks, although you also get two size increases. Assuming each size increase is a feature, that works out to 6 points for 10 ranks. And mass is decidedly not all that exciting. Add 1 rank of Quirk for all the random inconveniences of mass, and you get my figure of up to two ranks of mass per rank of Feature (mass).

Probably way more fine-tuned than the official DCA writeups, but there it is.
    [url]http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/211267/Do-Not-Approach[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostwise View Post
      I'll explain - the Marginal Limitation was developed in DCH for characters who have a useful power and use it much less than they logically should, for no discernible reason. Sif's dimension travel/astral flight thing is a good example. It looks really useful, no side effect/prerequisite/cost/whatever is ever mentioned, and she almost never does it. Even with the dimmest, most asleep player would see it on their character sheet and goes "hey, maybe I should use that".

So in DCH, Marginal costs Hero Points to activate, which is pretty good at simulating inexplicably under-used powers. The Hero Points are used as a "narrative currency". It comes in three severities (Minor, Serious, Catastrophic) depending on how many Hero Points must be burned for the ability to be bought into play.
      As I randomly think about it some more, it might be simpler to reverse the causality and decide that it's a Complication.

"Inexplicably, I do not use this power on my character sheet because the writer forgot about it/remembered about it and decided to pretend they forgot because that didn't fit their plot" does sound like a Complication, after all.

Comment

I think giving out a Hero Point every time the character fails to use an effect, which they routinely do, sounds wonky. I think rather it's worth looking over a menu of common modifiers. It's helpful if we know WHY a character might not use the power often, but in the absence of that, I think you can identify certain modifiers that would explain the behavior.

Tiring - obvious. Because of its relationship with Hero Points, all Marginal powers should have this. I think this is pretty much the definition of Minor Marginal.

Serious probably implies another -1 of related Flaws, and Catastrophic -2 more. Plus, there may be additional Quirks or 1 or 2 rank Flaws. Minor marginal probably implies no more than 1 rank of ranked Flaws.

Activation (move) - You might not always be able to discern this in a comic panel, but if the power is almost used in a defensive or utility way, this might be the reason. "I stop fighting and use this effect" suggests Activation.

Check Required - Maybe it's a spell or a rarely used device, or maybe it requires some special effort above fatigue. Raising it to a level that is not 100% reliable explains why it's not a mainstay. Otherwise useful powers based on some kind of expertise or some kind of strong personal quality fit this bill; Serious should probably fail on a natural roll of 1 to 2, while Catastrophic on a 1 to 5, if this is the major Flaw.

Distracting - If the power is reliable but almost always used to end a fight, or for some non-combat use that involves intense concentration, this is a good one. It's a fair bet those many marginal travel powers have this Flaw.

Fades - An effect that is both Tiring and Fades obviously won't see much use. This is a good Flaw for effects that don't really have a strong relationship with other powers that can be used in an unlimited way.

Increased action - changing a move power to a standard action would explain why it doesn't see a lot of tactical use. Also good for "run away" powers with Catastrophic Marginal.

Limited - Good for effects that have a limited number of appearances, and seem to have a common thread. If a character has a unique ability that only seems to have been used against robots, maybe it's because the power only works on robots.

Quirk - If there is a somewhat explained reason why a power isn't used often, it's a Quirk.

Resistible - If the power seems to be mainly used against low defense mooks and bystanders, maybe it has an extra resistance roll.

Unreliable - If the power has failed at least once, or the character has remarked on not being able to gather the power, this might be the reason. Standard reliable is for powers that character would be crazy to rely upon. The charges variation is good for powers that seem to be hoarded; they are useful, but the character just doesn't use it every time it seems like it would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by pawsplay View Post
          Unless you can cite a specific numeric target we need to hit, this looks like a job for Second Chance (disease). Second Chance is usually going to grant about +3 to +3.5 on each roll.
          I was mechanically aiming for my target Fortitude number but yeah, Second Chance is a better match for how Asgardian physiology seems to work. Fixed.

I don't object to this structure, but cluster of traits amounts to a change of personality.
          Exactly. Silver Age Sif is far more brazen, capable and determined with a sword in hand. If unarmed she's markedly easier to take down and capture, and more passive. Added a design note.

The lack of Close Combat (Swords) is because her defenses should be higher armed, so going with Fighting was more compact (and reflects her fighting spirit).

This is probably the most elaborate writeup I've ever seen for a character's propensity to guess. To make it more into a thing, is Uncontrolled maybe better than Unreliable? How much does she consciously invoke this ability? What about Check Required 1 (Insight) instead of unreliable? That seems kind of cute, right?
          Uncontrolled seems to be a better fit for this very plot-shaped ability, yes. Switched.

If she doesn't use it often, and not as a tactical move, perhaps it has Activation (move) and Distracting, as well? 28 points is a lot of points for something that does next to nothing. Depending on the methodology, a nominal level of Check Required based on her occult Asgard lore is not a bad call.
          Already has Activation, but Distracting is a good idea. OTOH, the Tiring get more awful every time I look at them.

But yes, it *should* be a costly ability since it offers awesome mobility, reconnoitring, projectability, etc. Even with M&M's very low Movement Effect costs, it should be an impressive Power. That she seldom uses it even though it's so damn useful is a separate issue.

Heh, I'm almost considering something like "Feature 5 (when the GM allows it because it fits his plot, Sif can travels through the ethereal plane with a passenger and rematerialise where she wishes. Otherwise, she won't)", with a bit more detail.

Man, if I could ethereally project I'd do it all the time. The savings on plane flights costs, fatigue and time alone would be huge. But no. She doesn't.

Comment

How about Enhanced Skill (Perception) 2, Limited (only up to amount of distance penalty)?
            That seems... opaque. Giving him a x3 visual magnification with the Mk1 eyeball is much clearer.

I think this is going to be the non-Device case of Easily Removable (requires a marksman's or sniper's weapon).
            Odd. That's I approach I usually take, and it's inexplicably missing here. It prolly had been too long since I did a DCA entry. Fixed.

Comment

Tinsel
              Averaged PL 6.4

~Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.org

~

Abilities
              Strength 01 Stamina 02 Agility 02 Dexterity 01 Fighting 03 Intellect 01 Awareness 01 Presence 01

Powers
              Light Control • 20 points • Descriptor: Light
              -> Rocket Blasts -- Leaping 6, Quirk (likely to damage launch and landing surfaces)
              -> Light Absorption -- Feature (draws sustenance from exposure to light)
              -> Light Blasts (array) :
              • Concussive Blast -- Ranged Damage 6
              • Blinding Light -- Visual Dazzle 6
              • Blinding Burst -- Visual Dazzle 6, Area (Burst), Reduced Range

Combat Advantages
              Defensive Roll 2

Other Advantages
              Equipment 4

Skills
              Athletics 3 (+4), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+7), Insight 2 (+3), Perception 3 (+4), Ranged Combat: Light Control 10 (+11), Vehicles (Limited 1, air and land) 4 (+5)

Equipment
              Skycycle Size Medium, STR 4, TOU 5, Defense 10, Flight 6 • 16 points

Offense
              Initiative +2
              Unarmed +7, Close, Damage 1
              Concussive Blast +8, Ranged, Damage 6
              Blinding Light +8, Ranged, Fortitude DC 16
              Blinding Burst Area (burst), Close, Fortitude DC 16

Defense
              Dodge 8
              Fortitude 7
              Parry 8
              Toughness 4/2*
              Will 2
              Defense notes:
              * Without Defensive Roll

Complications
              Upholding the Good Tinsel helps others, even in the face of adversity.
              Conditionally Blind In her civilian identify, Tinsel is blind due to retinal damage caused by the Theta virus. As Tinsel, she wears a super-science visor in her heroic identity that somehow allows her to see. If attacked directly, the visor has a TOU of 4.
              Power Loss Prolonged lack of light diminishes her Light Absorbtion and from there all of her Powers.

~

Power levels
              Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 9, Dodge/Toughness PL 6, Parry/Toughness PL 6, Fort/Will PL 5
              Points total 77 Abilities 24, Defences 17, Skills 12, Powers 20, Devices 0, Advantages 6. Equiv. PL 6.

Notes
              NOTES
              Last edited by pawsplay; 10-19-2016, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Because interesting power structures.

Freestyle (Jocelyn Davis)
                Averaged PL 5.8

~Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.org

~

Abilities
                Strength 00 Stamina 01 Agility 06 Dexterity 01 Fighting 05 Intellect 01 Awareness 00 Presence 01

Powers
                Resist Control • 4 points • Descriptor: Mental
                -> Feedback Defense -- Immunity 5 (mental entranced/compelled/controlled), Quirk (incurs a Side Effect that the effect is resolved as a Damage affect instead, but she gets +10 on her defense roll)

Statistical Power • 5 points • Descriptor: Probability
                -> Power Solution -- Quickness 24, Limited (only for actions that have multiple choices or possibilities, in order to make multiple attempts), Side Effect 2 (incurs an Affliction resisted by Fortitude equal to half the ranks used, that causes her to be impaired, disabled, then incapacitated), Uncontrolled

Combat Advantages
                Defensive Roll 1, Evasion, Improved Defense

Other Advantages
                None demonstrated

Skills
                Acrobatics 7 (+13), Athletics 12 (+12), Persuasion 1 (+2)

Offense
                Initiative +6
                Unarmed +11, Close, Damage 0

Defense
                Dodge 11
                Fortitude 03
                Parry 11
                Toughness 2/1*
                Will 04
                Defense notes:
                * Without Defensive Roll

Complications
                Unwanted Power Jocelyn recognizes she is often dead weight, but that her abilities are valued by others

~

Power levels
                Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 6, Dodge/Toughness PL 7, Parry/Toughness PL 7, Fort/Will PL 4.
                Points total 64 Abilities 30, Defences 12, Skills 10, Powers 9, Devices 0, Advantages 3. Equiv. PL 5.

Notes
                NOTES
                Last edited by pawsplay; 07-22-2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

It is sort of weird that her mental defenses are more expensive than straight up Immunity 5 (mental control). Maybe I should start there and build down?

Comment

Executioner (Skurge (profile #1 - pre-Simonson (1964 to 1977)))
                    Averaged PL11.6

Aura of Fear 4 points Descriptor: Magic (?)
                    Burst Area 1 Will-based Affliction 4 (Dazed, Compelled); Limited Degree
                    How much narrative control does he have here? Can he frighten people and make them run away, or make them so scared they drop something, and so forth? Or do they just become generically frightened and act according to their impulses? Because if the later, this probably qualities for Limited 1 (fear only).

[*] Ranged fire Damage 13 (Quirk - Range is computer as if using 6 fewer Ranks)[*] Ranged cold Damage 12 (Quirk - Range is computer as if using 6 fewer Ranks)
                    As it happens, the Flaw Diminished Range 1 will get you to about the same number. Diminished Range 1 will probably most of these cases, while Diminished Range 2 will cover things in softball-tossing range.

Complications
                    Outcast Skurge suffers from racial prejudice from Asgardian, and generally lives on his own
                    Plural?

Comment

Since having no fresh profile looks odd, here's a very simple one because I'm rusty. Guy's a minor Batman/Birds of Prey baddie from back in the days. Just a "named" sniper, really.

Note: add Pawsplay as a helper.

----

Gunhawk
                      Averaged PL 7

Powers

Expert sniper 4 point (Easily removable - must be aiming a marksman's or sniper's rifle) Descriptor: Skill
                      Enhanced Advantages (Accurate attack, All-out attack, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 1, Power attack, Skill Mastery (Ranged Combat))
                      Given that sniping is a fairly stationary activity, would it make sense to add Activation (move action), to bring his sniping advantages online? If so that would handle the "aiming" (not necessarily Aiming in game terms) part, and the removable description could be simplified to an accurized marksman's or sniper's rifle.

Skills
                      Acrobatics 4 (+7), Athletics 5 (+7), Close combat (Unarmed) 4 (+7), Deception 1 (+2), Expertise (USMC sniper) 9 (+10), Expertise (Firearms lore) 5 (+6), Insight 2 (+3), Perception 3 (+4), Ranged combat (Firearms) 7 (+11), Stealth 2 (+5), Vehicles 3 (+7) (Limited 1 to common Sea and Land vehicles)]
                      A quick note on style:
                      Close Combat: Unarmed is the standard version of the skill, not a limited version, so it would take a colon in standard DCA format. Same for Expertise and Ranged Combat.

Comment

I just refreshed the text, redid the illustrations in HD, did a video in 1080p with mods, etc. so I might as well throw in M&M stats for the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas protagonist.

This guy came out of nowhere ! CJ's Perception bonus is zero when it comes to spotting people laying in ambush. There are numerous cutscenes later on when he's caught unaware by someone whose presence he should have noticed much earlier.
                        Going along with this particular case of Power Loss, what about moving all of his Perception ranks into an Enhanced Skill (Perception 3), purely for the purpose of making his skill ranks Sustained?

Comment

Hardcase (early)
                          Averaged PL 9.2

~

Abilities
                          Strength 2 (12) Stamina 2 (12) Agility 2 Dexterity 1 Fighting 3 Intellect 2 Awareness 1 Presence 1

Powers
                          Super Strength 75 points Descriptor: Ultra
                          -> Super Athletic -- Leaping 9, Enhanced Dodge 6, Enhanced Parry 5, Enhanced Close Combat: Unarmed 5
                          -> Powerful -- Enhanced Strength 10, Enhanced Stamina 10, Impervious Toughness 10, Enhanced Advantages (All-out Attack, Power Attack)

Combat Advantages
                          All-out Attack, Power Attack

Other Advantages
                          Feature 2 (Popularity)

Skills
                          Close Combat: Unarmed 0 (+8), Deception 3 (+4), Expertise: Acting 2 (+4), Insight 3 (+4), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion 1 (+2), Vehicles 4 (+5, Limited to land vehicles, -2)

Offense
                          Initiative +2
                          Unarmed +8, Close, Damage 12

Defense
                          Dodge 8
                          Fortitude 12
                          Parry 8
                          Toughness 12
                          Will 4
                          Defense notes:
                          * Without Defensive Roll

Complications
                          Doing Good Hardcase helps others in need and wants to make the world a better place.
                          Limelight As the first public ultra, Hardcase's every move is scrutinized. His desire for success and fame make him susceptible to this attention.
                          Identity Hardcase's civilian identity of Tom Hawke is public knowledge.
                          Hard Luck Hardcase is especially prone to bad runs of luck. The GM should feel free to introduce a Complication from time to time when things seem to be doing too well.
                          Relationship Starburst.

~

Power levels
                          Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 10, Dodge/Toughness PL 10, Parry/Toughness PL 10, Fort/Will PL 8
                          Points total 115 Abilities 28, Defences 3, Skills 7, Powers 75, Devices 0, Advantages 2. Equiv. PL 8.

Notes
                          NOTES

Comment

Starburst
                            Averaged PL 4.6

~

Abilities
                            Strength 0 Stamina 1 Agility 0 Dexterity 1 Fighting 1 Intellect 1 Awareness 1 Presence 1

Powers
                            Energy Emission 19 points Descriptor: Energy, Ultra
                            -> Energy Blast -- Ranged Damage 9, Accurate

Combat Advantages
                            Defensive Roll, Improved Aim

Other Advantages
                            Benefit 2 (Popularity), Equipment 1

Skills
                            Athletics 2 (+2), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+3), Insight 4 (+5), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion 1 (+2), Ranged Combat: Energy blast 8 (+11), Vehicles 3 (+4, Limited to land vehicles -2)

Equipment
                            Goggles Feature (+2 circumstance bonus to resist visual, light-based Dazzle effects) 1 point

Offense
                            Initiative +0
                            Unarmed +3, Close, Damage
                            Energy Blast +11, Ranged, Damage 9

Defense
                            Dodge 3
                            Fortitude 3
                            Parry 3
                            Toughness 2/1*
                            Will 3
                            Defense notes:
                            * Without Defensive Roll

Complications
                            Doing Good Linda is brave and strives to be heroic.
                            Limelight As a member of Ultra Force, Linda is constantly in the public eye, and her actions scrutinized.
                            Identity Linda's civilian identity is known.
                            Uncertainty Linda in many ways is an ordinary and sometimes frightened person. At times, she loses initiative to all other characters because she hesitates.

~

Power levels
                            Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 10, Dodge/Toughness PL 3, Parry/Toughness PL 3, Fort/Will PL 3
                            Points total XXX Abilities 12, Defences 9, Skills 12, Powers 19, Devices 0, Advantages 5. Equiv. PL 4.

Notes
                            NOTES

Comment

Luke Cage (early era)
                              Averaged PL 9.6

~

Abilities
                              Strength 3 (8) Stamina 3 (8) Agility 2 Dexterity 1 Fighting 6 Intellect 2 Awareness 1 Presence 2

Powers
                              Bulletproof Love • 37 points • Descriptor: XXX
                              -> Powerful -- Enhanced Strength 5, Enhanced Stamina 5, Enhanced Advantage (Improved Smash), Leaping 3
                              -> Bullets Won't Stop Him -- Protection 3; Impervous Toughness 11, Limited (physical impact); Feature (+1 rank of weight)
                              -> Equal and Opposite Reaction -- Damage 8, Reaction (being struck in melee, attacks weapon or opponent's striking limb), Limited (only up to a number of ranks equal to the attacker's Damage +1), Limited (only against attacks negated by Impervious), Quirk (half effect if the enemy made an Accurate Attack), Quirk (cannot be deactivated)
                              -> Healing Factor -- Regeneration 2

Combat Advantages
                              Improved Smash, Power Attack, Takedown

Other Advantages
                              Fearless

Skills
                              Athletics 1 (+9), Deception 3 (+5), Expertise: Streetwise 10 (+12), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation 4 (+6), Investigation 7 (+9, Limited 2 - to Gather Information), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion 3 (+5), Treatment 1 (+3, Limited 2 to revive and stabilize)

Offense
                              Initiative +2
                              Unarmed +10, Close, Damage 8

Defense
                              Dodge 10
                              Fortitude 10
                              Parry 10
                              Toughness 11
                              Will 8
                              Defense notes:
                              * Without Defensive Roll

Complications
                              Doing Good Luke Cage fights for what's right.
                              Identity Luke Cage wears no mask; his identity and reputation are matters of public knowledge.
                              Like a Freight Train Luke's weight makes it basically impossible to swim. If he performs a Slam, he is vulnerable until his next initiative. He suffers a -2 penalty to resist Trick attempts that involve getting him to move or attack, as his weight makes it hard to quickly change direction.

~

Power levels
                              Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 9, Dodge/Toughness PL 11, Parry/Toughness PL 11, Fort/Will PL 9
                              Points total 118 Abilities 40, Defences 21, Skills 17, Powers 37, Devices 0, Advantages 3. Equiv. PL 8.

Notes
                              Luke Cage is not as tough against open flame or extreme temperatures as he is against physical blows; his resilience against other energy effects is not well-defined but is likely less than his resistance to impact. Hence, this is handled by limiting his Impervious ranks. Something like a directly applied blowtorch may eventually overcome his toughness.
                              Last edited by pawsplay; 10-13-2016, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Too low on time to meaningfully comment (except to say that Cage's Power should absolutely be called Bulletproof Love), but I will of course peruse the thread when that's possible.

In the meanwhile, some random crap to help justify bumping an article up the publication order :

---

Human ant soldiers of the sixth continent
                                Averaged PL 4.8

~

Abilities
                                Strength 03 (04) Stamina 02 Agility 01 Dexterity 00 Fighting 02 Intellect 00 Awareness 00 Presence -1

Powers
                                Ignore temperatures 1 points Descriptor: Physiology
                                -> Immunity 2 (Environmental cold, environmental heat, both Limited to half-effect)

Devices
                                Ant armour 13 points (Removable) Descriptor: Technology
                                -> Exoskeleton -- Enhanced Strength 1, Protection 4
                                -> Formic acid claws -- Strength-based Slashing Damage 1, Linked with acid Damage 3
                                -> Helmet -- Second chance (Attacks based on bright light), Feature 1 (basic radio link, nothing special)
                                -> Magnetic telekinesis ray -- Move Object 4, Concentration

Combat Advantages
                                All-Out Attack, Close Atack 3

Other Advantages
                                None demonstrated

Skills
                                Athletics 2 (+5), Stealth 4 (+5)

Offense
                                Initiative +1
                                Unarmed +5, Close, Damage 3 (4 w/armour)
                                Formic acid claws +5, Close, Damage 5 (Liked with Damage 4 from the acid)

Defense
                                Dodge 04
                                Fortitude 06
                                Parry 06
                                Toughness 02*/04/08**
                                Will 00
                                Defense notes:
                                * Without Defensive Roll
                                ** With Defensive Roll and Ant Armour

Complications
                                Near-automatons The soldiers completely lack initiative if they aren't given instructions
                                Roman-style armour Their body armour leaves flesh exposed, and a lucky hit could ignore their Protection. Doing that deliberately means a -4 circumstances penalty for that attack, but it bypasses the Protection entirely.

~

Power levels
                                Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 5, Dodge/Toughness PL 6, Parry/Toughness PL 7, Fort/Will PL 3
                                Points total 45 Abilities 14, Defences 11, Skills 3, Powers 1, Devices 13, Advantages 4. Equiv. PL 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X