Writeups.org -- M&M stats discussion, repository and pub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Writeups.org -- M&M stats discussion, repository and pub

The next M&M writeup to get WORG publication should be Blackout's. But the idea is to finish to overhaul the pictures as well. And I haven't had time for that in quite a while. :-(

So quick stats for a good writeup (though it needs an editing pass) that could use another jog through the homepage.

As explained in the entry it's the *early* Shocker, before character develomment took place. At this point he's just a shallow jobber.

-------

Shocker (Herman Schultz 1960s-1980s)
    Averaged PL8.6

~Biography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.org

~

Abilities
    Strength 01 Stamina 02 Agility 02 Dexterity 03 Fighting 04 Intellect 02 Awareness 01 Presence 01

Devices
    Vibro-shock units 11 points (Removable) Descriptor: technology, vibration.
    -> Ranged concussive Damage 11, Accurate 1, Limited 1 (Each Rank of Range beyond -1 diminishes the Ranks of Damage by 1. So if shooting at a Range of 4, Damage is 11-5= 6.)
    -> Feature (+4 to Technology (Security) rolls against mechanisms that can be defeated by being shaken loose, such as older locks and safes).
    -> Quickness 2 (Limited 2 to tasks covered by the Feature above).
    -> Quirk (Operating the vibra-shock units requires special protection, such as the Shocker Costume].

Shocker costume 8 points (Removable) Descriptor: technology, vibration.
    -> Enhanced Strength 3, Enhanced Stamina 3.
    -> Protection 3 (Limited 1 to non-energy attacks), Defensive Roll 1.
    -> Enhanced Strength 7 (Limited 2 to the Escape combat action, and similar rolls such as breaking a Snare-type Affliction), Feature (Also useable to rip off things stuck to his costume, such as webbing over his mask's eyes).
    -> Feature (Fake, removable vibro-units. These decoys can deceive opponents into trying to take them away, which achieves nothing.)

Combat Advantages
    Accurate Attack, Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll 1, Ranged Attack 1.

Other Advantages
    None demonstrated.

Skills
    Athletics 3 (+4), Close combat (Vibro-shock units) 5 (+8), Deception 1 (+2), Expertise (Burglar) 6 (+8), Expertise (Vibration-based techs) 10 (+12), Perception 4 (+5), Ranged combat (Vibro-shock units) 7 (+10), Technology 8 (+10).

Offense
    Initiative +2
    Unarmed +7, Close, Damage 1 (4 w/Costume)
    Vibro-shock units +13, Ranged, Damage 11 (less past four metres).

Defense
    Dodge 08
    Fortitude 06 / 09**
    Parry 08
    Toughness 02* / 04 / 07** / 10***
    Will 03
    Defense notes:
    * Without Defensive Roll.
    ** With Shocker Costume.
    *** With Shocker Costume and vs. non-energy attacks

Complications
    That's what I want The Shocker is after the moolah.
    I'll have the respect I deserve ! The Shocker has a big ego and makes pointless shows of being in control.
    Not a smooth operator Schultz's people skills are just... bad.
    Weapons checkmate Early on, the vibro-shock units had a thumb button, allowing for disarming attempts (or jamming the weapons to keep uncontrollably firing). This was soon fixed.

~

Power levels
    Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 12, Dodge/Toughness PL 9, Parry/Toughness PL 9, Fort/Will PL 6.
    Points total 95. Abilities 32, Defences 16, Skills 22, Powers 00, Devices 19, Advantages 6. Equiv. PL 7.

Notes
    The Limitation on his ranged Damage is one of the many cases where a -0.5 would be nice, since a -1 makes little sense. But as always I favour modelling what's in the comics.

His Toughness is counted as 9 for PL computations, as a rough expected average. His Attack/Effect PL could also be lowered, since he often attacks at longer ranges and thus with fewer Damage Ranks.

Schultz likes Accurate Attack manoeuvres for his vibro-shock attacks. This is meant to force his opponents on the defensive, and uses the fact that he has lots of Damage Ranks for a street-level character.
    Last edited by Ghostwise; 04-20-2019, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pawsplay View Post
      Marvel Boy's Enhanced abilities should be noted as Permanent.
      Hard to say. As noted in the entry, the stories are incoherent as to the role his uranium pills play, and thus how permanent many of his enhancements are. Sometimes he seems to actually have an alter-ego.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostwise View Post
        Hard to say. As noted in the entry, the stories are incoherent as to the role his uranium pills play, and thus how permanent many of his enhancements are. Sometimes he seems to actually have an alter-ego.
        I was thinking that his Stamina at least should stay up, but maybe that is not so.
        [url]http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/211267/Do-Not-Approach[/url]

Comment

• I couldn't access the site for a long while due to some IP-blocking shenanigan, which is apparently a Thing That Happens to random people just passing by. And it lasted since I thought that it was just the forum upgrade having run into major issues.

So two update cycles had to be skipped when it comes to having M&M stats on writeups.org. But now that Evan from GR helped, they'll resume with the circa-the-20th-of-May update work.

Comment

• For Shocker's ranged concussion, I would be inclined to just slap on two ranks of Diminished Range. Keeping in mind, after all, that with damage saves, being able to hit probabilistically affects damage anyway. But if you are married to the reduced Damage approach, I think a level 2 Quirk might work better than a Limited power. He really shouldn't get the same break as making it Close range.
            [url]http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/211267/Do-Not-Approach[/url]

Comment

Working...
            X