Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kaulu's M&M 3e Characters

Originally posted by CaptainKaulu View Post
    Thing is, this is a situation where the system's stats are an abstraction that doesn't apply to the material right. I don't think Parker's Strength should be high overall -- I feel like giving her a 1 was already generous, when it comes to things like how hard she can hit with an unarmed attack.

I could give her Power-Lifting, but is she really strong when it comes to lifting something like a car? Or is it only situations where finger strength (or maybe hand strength) is key?

I could give her Strength, Limited to climbing, or something like that, but I feel like the best way to represent that is just to give her ranks in Athletics anyway. Which is what I did.

Maybe finger strength is actually best represented by Dexterity rather than Strength? Maybe I should give her Grabbing Finesse for strangling Tara Cole, or something like that? I dunno.

Maybe Power-Lifting is appropriate, but only 1 point or so? Would still fit the "you're stronger than you look" theme.
    Well, you estimated high on Eliot's strength, presumably for the hitting power. You could give Parker a 2, which would be 1.7x Beth Riesgraf's internet stated weight, still be enough to justify the one armed lift of Tara Cole, and not really impact her hitting power that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth-Two_Kenn View Post
      Well, you estimated high on Eliot's strength, presumably for the hitting power. You could give Parker a 2, which would be 1.7x Beth Riesgraf's internet stated weight, still be enough to justify the one armed lift of Tara Cole, and not really impact her hitting power that much.
      This stuff was way easier in 2e, given its more gradiated scores for non-super strength.

Also grabbing not being literally the most useless thing in the world for low-strength characters...
      Formerly Narsil.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth-Two_Kenn View Post
        I wasn't really thinking of weight lifting power when I chose Eliot's strength, just going by the "Highly Gifted" label. You're right that I was deciding between a 4 and a 3, though.

The way I see it, giving normal humans up to 7 Strength is canon, and the fact that they can lift/throw ridiculous amounts of mass at those Strength scores is just the game forcing them to be in a comic book universe.

Originally posted by Scots Dragon View Post
        Also grabbing not being literally the most useless thing in the world for low-strength characters...
        Indeed, that is annoying. Although I did recently realize that you can buy Strength or Dexterity, "Limited to Grabbing." Seems like it should be legal, since it's the same price as buying Extra Limbs for the same boost to Grabs.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKaulu View Post
          Indeed, that is annoying. Although I did recently realize that you can buy Strength or Dexterity, "Limited to Grabbing." Seems like it should be legal, since it's the same price as buying Extra Limbs for the same boost to Grabs.
          Yep. It's just an Enhanced Trait with a flaw, perfectly legal.

Comment

Thoughts (and exhaustive comparisons with Tholomyes's build) for the next Sentinels of the Multiverse character, Bunker.

Tholomyes gives the suit Growth, which is pretty impossible to argue with given its depiction in the artwork and its height and weight listed in the lore. I shall have to add this aspect, although I'll go with Growth 3 rather then Growth 4. Mechanically wonkier, but more accurate to the lore.

My Vance is stronger without the suit (+2), but still weaker with it; Tholomyes gives the suit Enhanced Strength on top of Growth. How strong should he actually be? I don't know. I'm inclined to say "however strong he has points for." We don't know what load he can lift, and melee isn't really his schtick, so ... I'll leave this one flexible.

While the suit certainly provides lots of Protection, I don't see why it should provide Stamina, which would imply greater Fortitude vs things like diseases. I guess it will provide some Stamina just as part of Growth; I just won't give it any beyond that.

I saved a lot of points by having the suit inflict massive penalties to Agility and Dexterity -- illegally so, as I dropped Agility down below -5 without remembering that's the minimum score in M&M. I do think smaller penalties here are appropriate, though -- I do think Bunker should impose a penalty to Acrobatics (which, unlike other Agility-based things, isn't taken care of by Growth), and I can't imagine Bunker being good at piloting other Vehicles. Or being able to pull off Sleight of Hand, at all.

We both gave Vance Intellect 0, but considering he's supposed to be a sharp tactical soldier, I'm inclined to boost Intellect to at least 1, since I don't like making Expertise (Tactics) into a separate skill. (Too many characters should have it, if it's a separate skill.) 1 Intellect would at least make it make sense for Legacy (Intellect 0) to take advice from Vance.

Tholomyes gave Vance much lower Awareness and Presence than I did. I'll probably swing pretty far towards his numbers.

Protection, some Enhanced Strength, Enhanced Intimidation, and some Life Support-style Immunities are a given. I also gave the suit some "tactical computer" enhanced traits, and a simple sensor array.

Both of us struggled to incorporate Bunker's "modes" (Upgrade, Turret, and Recharge Mode) in a M&M-friendly way. I was thinking particularly about Upgrade Mode, which seemed like the hardest to make, and then I decided the best way to do it is actually just to give Bunker a Complication of constant maintenance and tinkering. Then, whenever the suit is out of commission for a round due to "Upgrade Mode," it gets a Hero Point to use on a cool new "upgrade" for a scene. And if Upgrade Mode is a Complication, then the others probably likewise aren't aspects of an Array, but just Maneuvers the suit can use round-by-round. Like All-Out Attack and Improved Defense. Maybe Healing (self-only) like Tholomyes gave to his? Eh, I guess that's the best way (better than Regeneration) to show miraculously fast self-repair ability at the expense of firing away. That makes me want to give Turret Mode something more than just All-Out Attack, but I guess PL limits how much more Bunker's offense can increase beyond its normal. Resistance to bull rushes or something would work, if bull rushes existed in M&M.

Finally, we get to the weapons. The meat of the build. I tried harder than Tholomyes to include all the weapons that the hero is equipped with in the card game, plus melee ability out of common sense. But I tried to give all the weapons their own pros and cons. Tholomyes made the Gatling Gun the main weapon, at a whopping 36 points, while I gave it Fades so it can't be used constantly as the main weapon. The Flak Cannon, on the other hand, is more reliable (less ammo issues, the way it seems in the card game), but it does a little less damage and has less range. Tholomyes didn't include the Flak Cannon at all. The Grenade Launcher is ... there. Ranged Area damage, meh. I gave it Variable Descriptor, but I'm not sure I can really justify that; just how "Variable" are concussive explosives really? Let's not even talk about my interpretation of Bunker's Adhesive Foam Grenades; Tholomyes's making them Progressive Area Afflictions is just plain better. Except they should have limited ammo (Unreliable: 5 uses) to match how they're limited-use in the card game. I made "External Combustion" one of Bunker's higher-damage weapons, with the drawback of friendly fire. Tholomyes ignored it completely. Finally, the Big One, the Omnicannon. Tholomyes made it massive Damage Linked to massive Weaken, which I'm pretty sure isn't allowed by PL rules. Right? I can't find that in the rules right now, but I think I've read it somewhere before. He also gave the Omnicannon Distracting (which is a great idea) and Tiring (which doesn't seem like quite the right limitation to me). I made it a pretty massive blast that also dealt Area splash damage, and made it wildly Inaccurate to encourage use of Ultimate Aim (to effectively make the attack a two-round thing). Overall, I'm not sure which way my final build will go on a bunch of these weapons.

Comment

Bunker
              Lt. Tyler Vance

Sentinels of the Multiverse hero by Sentinel Comics, PC-ready
              Power Level 10 (150 ppt)

ABILITIES [40 ppt]
              Strength 3 (+10) • Stamina 5 (+8) • Agility 2 (-3) • Dexterity 2 (-4) •
              Fighting 3 (+4) • Intellect 1 (+1) • Awareness 3 (+3) • Presence 1 (+1) •
              Load limit 25 tons

Out of Suit:
              Strength (+3) • Stamina (+5) • Agility (+2) • Dexterity (+2) • Fighting (+3)
              Load limit 400 lb.

POWERS [61 ppt]

Mechanical Aptitude:3 ppt
              Training Power

Enhanced Technology 93 ppt
              Flaw: Limited to mechanical work
              Personal Armament Exo-Chassis YS-1300t Suit, Device (Removable):58 / 73 ppt
              Technological Power

Imposing Bulk:
              • Growth 37 ppt
                Extras: Innate, Permanent
                +3 mass ranks, Strength +3, Stamina +3, Dodge -2, Parry -2, Stealth -3, Intimidation +1
              • Enhanced Strength 48 ppt
                Flaw: Permanent
              • Enhanced Agility -5-10 ppt
              • Enhanced Dexterity -6-12 ppt
              • Enhanced Intimidation 84 ppt
              • Speed 33 ppt
                16 mph, 250 ft/round

Life Support System: Immunity 7 (environmental conditions: all, suffocation: all) • 7 ppt

Plating:
              Flaw: Noticeable • -1 ppt
              • Protection 77 ppt
              • Impervious Toughness 99 ppt

Tactical Computer:
              • Enhanced Fighting 12 ppt
              • Enhanced Dodge 44 ppt
              • Enhanced Parry 22 ppt
              • Enhanced Advantage 7 [Ranged Attack 7] • 7 ppt

Turret Mode:
              Flaw: Activation 1 (move action) • -1 ppt
              • Enhanced Advantages 2 [All-Out Attack, Second Chance (forced movement)] • 1 ppt
                Flaw: Limited to while not moving
              • Immunity 2 (tripping) • 1 ppt
                Flaw: Limited to while not moving

Sensor Suite: Senses 8 (Darkvision, Direction Sense, Accurate Extended 2 Radio). • 8 ppt

Weapons Array:20 ppt + 7 ppt for Alternate Effects
              • Flak Cannon: Damage 720 ppt
                Extras: Increased Range 1 (ranged), Multiattack, Accurate 1, Flaws: Diminished Range 2
              • ALT - Gatling Gun: Damage 920 ppt
                Extras: Increased Range 1 (ranged), Multiattack, Penetrating 2, Flaw: Fades
              • ALT - Grenade Launcher: Damage 619 ppt
                Extras: Increased Range 1 (ranged), Area (Burst 1), Affects Insubstantial 1
              • ALT - Adhesive Foam Grenades: Affliction 5 (Dodge / Strength or Sleight of Hand; Hindered & Vulnerable / Defenseless & Immobilized) • 20 ppt
                Extras: Increased Range 1 (ranged), Alternate Resistance, Area (Burst 1), Extra Condition, Progressive, Flaws: Limited Degree, Unreliable (5 Uses)
              • ALT - External Combustion: Damage 919 ppt
                Extras: Area (Burst 1), Selective, Affects Insubstantial 1, Flaw: Tiring
              • ALT - Omnicannon:
                • Damage 1719 ppt
                  Extras: Increased Range 1 (ranged), Area (Burst 1) [Partial 8], Affects Insubstantial 1, Flaws: Inaccurate 7, Distracting
                • Enhanced Advantage 1 [Ultimate Effort (Aim)] • 1 ppt
              • ALT - Trample:
                • Enhanced Advantage 2 [Takedown 2] • 2 ppt
                • Enhanced Advantage 4 [Improved Critical (Unarmed) 4] • 2 ppt
                  Flaw: Limited to targets smaller than Bunker
              • ALT - Recharge Mode:
                • Enhanced Advantage 1 [Improved Defense] • 1 ppt
                • Healing 918 ppt
                  Extras: Affects Only Objects, Action 1 (move action), Flaw: Limited to self.
              ADVANTAGES [14 ppt]

• Benefit 1 (military clearance) • Equipment 4 • Improved Initiative 1 • Ranged Attack 7 • Ranged Attack 8 •

EQUIPMENT [18 ep]
              • Commlink1 ep
              • Smartphone2 ep
              • Shared Vehicle: Freedom Copter (detailed under The Wraith)9 ep
              • Shared HQ: Freedom Tower (detailed under Legacy)6 ep

LANGUAGES
              • native: English •
              SKILLS [21 ppt]
              Athletics 4 (+14) • Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+10) • Expertise: Military 5 (+6) • Expertise: Tactics 6 (+7) • Expertise: Wilderness Survival 3 (+6) • Intimidation 4 (+14) • Perception 4 (+7) • Ranged Combat: Omnicannon 6 (+17) • Ranged Combat: Misc. 0 (+11) • Stealth 2 (-4) • Technology 0 (+10, mechanical work only) • Treatment 1 (+2) • Vehicles 1 (-3) •
              Expertise: Wilderness Survival is generally Awareness-based.

Out of Suit:
              Athletics 4 (+7) • Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+9) • Intimidation 4 (+5) • Ranged Combat: Misc. 0 (+10) • Stealth 2 (+4) • Vehicles 1 (+3) •

DEFENSES [14 ppt]
              Dodge 4 (+3) • Parry 1 (+5) •
              Fortitude 4 (+12) • Toughness (+15) • Will 5 (+8) •

Out of Suit:
              Dodge (+6) • Parry (+4) •
              Fortitude (+9) • Toughness (+5) •

OFFENSE
              Initiative +1 (+6 out of Suit)
              • Unarmed: +10 • Close Damage DC 25 (Strength-based), bludgeoning.
              • Unarmed (out of Suit): +10 • Close Damage DC 18 (Strength-based), bludgeoning.
              • Flak Cannon: +13 • Ranged (35/70/175 ft) Damage DC 22, piercing/ballistic • Multiattack.
              • Gatling Gun: +11 • Ranged (225/450/900 ft) Damage DC 24, piercing/ballistic • Multiattack, Fades, Penetrating DC 17.
              • Grenade Launcher: Dodge DC 16 • Ranged (150/300/600 ft) Area (30-ft Burst) Damage DC 21, concussive/explosive • Affects Insubstantial DC 18.
              • Adhesive Foam Grenade: Dodge DC 15 • Ranged (125/250/500 ft) Area (30-ft Burst) Affliction DC 15 (Dodge/Strength or Sleight of Hand; Hindered & Vulnerable / Defenseless & Immobilized), adhesive foam • Progressive, Unreliable (5 Uses).
              • External Combustion: Dodge DC 19 • Close Area (30-ft Burst) Damage DC 24, fire • Selective, Affects Insubstantial DC 19, Tiring.
              • Omnicannon: +3/Dodge DC 18 • Ranged (425/850/1700 ft) Damage DC 32 on direct hit or Area (30-ft Burst) Damage DC 23, energy • Distracting, Affects Insubstantial DC 23/19.
                Bunker may use Ultimate Effort (Aim) in conjunction with this attack
              COMPLICATIONS
              Motivation - Duty: Although he's not on active duty, Vance still considers himself a member of the United States Military and performs that role on the Freedom Five, and will act with conduct becoming.

Wanderlust: Vance dislikes being stuck for too long in one place, especially in a desert climate or with dreary scenery.

Upgrade Mode: Some of the Battle Suit's fancier features require constant tinkering and maintenance, sometimes necessitating a break even during combat conditions. This Complication cannot be used while Turret Mode or Recharge Mode is active. (Turret Mode and Recharge Mode are also incompatible.)

No Pockets: Vance generally can't access some of his normal equipment while wearing his suit, notably his smartphone. Incidentally, he's also not allowed to eat while wearing the suit.

Relationships: His sister Katie, whom he uses as an outlet to describe all of his adventures in letters. He has also started dating The Wraith.
              ABILITIES [ 40 ] + SKILLS [ 21 ] + ADVANTAGES [ 14 ] + POWERS [ 61 ] + DEFENSES [ 14 ]
              150 PPT TOTAL

BIO

A native of Boulder City, NV, Tyler Vance had a very ordinary childhood but always aspired to an extraordinary life. Defying expectations, he joined the military and excelled in it. After a particularly lauded desert campaign in which he saved his platoon from a 48-hour siege under sandstorm conditions, he was offered the opportunity to co-found the Freedom Five and take on the experimental Bunker Battle Suit.

NOTES

A lot of my thoughts on this build can be found in the above post, where I was comparing my rough draft of this build with that of Tholomyes' build.

How do partial Area extras interact with range? Can the omnicannon still fire its ranged splash damage effect 1700 ft?

This build was surprisingly easy to get into the right ballpark of 150 ppt. It may still need some minor tweaking, but generally it is served well by the massive discount offered by the Removable flaw. It was also a bit risky giving Bunker's offensive array "only" 20 ppt per option, but I think the flexibility of weapons should make up for the weaknesses of any individual weapon.

Freshly re-done, to squeeze in some ranks of Expertise: Military, fix an error in the accuracy of all the ranged attacks, and put in the new formatting style.

This is a build that could use a Strength Damage Array, if it fit nicely and I was sure what to put in it.

I took External Combustion out of the suit's array of weapons to save a point, thinking it was useless to have a Tiring option in an Array when you could just Power Stunt, but now I'm realizing the Power Stunt doesn't benefit from the points discount of Tiring. So I put it back in.
              Last edited by CaptainKaulu; 09-06-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Thoughts (and exhaustive comparisons with Tholomyes's build) for the next Sentinels of the Multiverse character, Tachyon.

Tholomyes was very stingy with giving Tachyon points in Abilities; a mere 1 in Agility, Stamina, and Awareness, with zeroes across the board elsewhere. Not a very typical set of Abilities for any superhero. Even setting aside that her super-speed should give her Enhanced Agility and Dexterity, she looks in pictures in-game to be very wiry and quite physically fit. Hence, I gave her 2 Strength, 3 Agility, 4 Stamina, and 3 Fighting. Oh, and 2 Awareness and 1 Presence just because she's a superhero in general, although as I think about it again I'm not sure there's any evidence at all for her to have greater Presence than the average human. So I'll go with Tholomyes on that one. But the others (except Dexterity), I feel she should have positive scores in even before accounting for super-speed. Maybe something like 2 STR, 2 AGL, 0 DEX, 2 FGT, 2 AWE, 4 STA, 0 PRE.

The exception to the whole paragraph above is, obviously, Intellect. Here Tholomyes was very generous, giving her a score of 11. While I gave her only a 5. Reading over her intellectual achievements in the game's lore, I feel a healthy compromise is in order. She should be smarter than any real-world human, but not sixteen times more intelligent than Einstein. Not able to match Stephen Hawking in a chess game while Disabled. 8 or 9 Intellect feels right.

Looking at the Powers nested within super-speed, it's clear why Tholomyes was so stingy with Abilities. He gives Tachyon Speed 16, Improved Initiative 3, and Quickness 19. I went with "only" Speed 12, which is still 16 miles per round, or 8000 mph, and fits with the canon "Mach 9" figure given in the lore on one of Tachyon's cards as an "example" speed for her. I also went with Quickness 3, which is probably stingy of me again. Oh, but I just realized Tholomyes saved a bunch of points by making the Quickness an AE of the Speed power ... not sure I like that. She should be able to do routine tasks and still move around at hypersonic speeds at the same time. Hmmm. But maybe I could make Quickness an AE of something else, like her Enhanced Dodge and Parry (which Tholomyes and I both included in the build)? Or I could just make a Dynamic Array out of all the cost-intensive speed powers, and let her choose round by round how much of each she's using ... That might make the most sense, in addition to being a cost-saver.

My offense for Tachyon is pretty much a mess, although at least I did nominally include a sap attack in addition to unarmed attacks (which she's shown using on cards). Tholomyes gave her a decent Multiattack unarmed power, as well as a slightly-weak Area Damage power, and a Perception-ranged Limited to air Move Object power as an AE. (?) I'm really not sure what he was going for there. Making wind by moving so quickly? To me it almost makes more sense to give her a Move Object power for actually manually moving objects (with her hands) at super-speed.

Advantages (both builds): Improved Initiative 3, Takedown 2, Agile Feint, Defensive Roll 3, Inventor, Move-By Action, Set-Up 1.
                Advantages (Tholomyes): Uncanny Dodge, Benefit (Security Clearance), Defensive Attack, Eidetic Memory, Extraordinary Effort, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Technology), Teamwork, Ultimate Effort (Technology).
                Advantages (my build): Evasion 1, Hide in Plain Sight, Redirect, Precise Attack 1 (Close Cover), Quick Draw, Rapid Fire (Unarmed) 2, Ultimate Effort (Dodge), Close Attack 5, Contacts, Equipment 5, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 1, Interpose, Skill Mastery (Expertise [Science]).

I can trim a few of these Advantages off of each separate build to grub more points.

Can Slam Maneuvers (i.e. Charge attacks) be used with Takedown or with Multiattack to hit multiple targets??? I think that's something I need to know before I get much further in designing the "combined" Tachyon build.

Comment

Does an Insubstantial character need at least 1 Strength so that they can purchase Affects Corporeal Strength?

Comment

nah a zero strength is fine.

they just need to have a strength score.
                    ]
                    though as a Gm I'm usualy massively adverse to allowing affects solid with full desolid. it ahs all sorts of game breaking problems attached to it.
                    Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/79-Showdown-at-the-Litterbox-New-Stuff?p=554&viewfull=1#post554"]Showdown at the Litterbox[/URL]

[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563]Catsi stories[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by catsi563 View Post
                      nah a zero strength is fine.

they just need to have a strength score.

though as a Gm I'm usually massively adverse to allowing affects solid with full desolid. it has all sorts of game breaking problems attached to it.
                      So do they just need 1 rank of Affects Corporeal Strength, to correspond with any amount of Strength from -5 to 1?

And when you say "full" Insubstantial leads to broken stuff, do you mean Gaseous/Energy/Incorporeal, or just Incorporeal? And if this is broken, what do you do with character concepts that should be Insubstantial in order to make them not broken?

Comment

yes to the first question

as to the second its tricky because you have to make sure as the GM to come down hard on the rules. you need to enforce the weakness of the power that affects the insubstantial hero, and insure theres at least one such encounter each time.

that's one of the issues with such a power it can become problematic for the player as they just waltz through every encounter untouchable while fighting everything around them. they can become bored pretty quickly. Then also you run into the why do you hate me problem as a gm when each encounter has the potential for their weakness to show up in the hands of some mook.

that's why insubstantial with affects insubstantial is a game breaker. it causes all sorts of problems for both gm and player and should always be looked at with a close eye.
                        Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

[URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/79-Showdown-at-the-Litterbox-New-Stuff?p=554&viewfull=1#post554"]Showdown at the Litterbox[/URL]

[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563]Catsi stories[/url]

Comment

Gifdensnop
                          Original character, PC-ready
                          Power Level 10 (150 ppt)

ABILITIES [54 ppt]
                          Strength 1 (+0) • Stamina 4 (+4) • Agility 4 (+4) • Dexterity 2 (+2) •
                          Fighting 5 (+5) • Intellect 3 (+3) • Awareness 5 (+5) • Presence 3 (+3) •
                          Load limit 50 lb.

POWERS [44 ppt]

Small Size:9 ppt
                          Innate Power

Shrinking 49 ppt
                          Extras: Increased Duration (continuous), Innate, Flaw: Permanent
                          -1 size rank, -1 Strength, +2 Dodge, +2 Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation
                          Battle Cloak, Device (Removable):6 / 8 ppt
                          Technological/Magical Power
                          A cloak that also wraps around the off-hand. When wielded by a skilled user, it can function as a shield, and can also catch enemy weapons in its folds.

Enhanced Dodge 22 ppt

Enhanced Parry 22 ppt

Enhanced Advantages 3 [Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Weapon Bind] • 3 ppt

Feature 1 (arboreal camouflage) • 1 ppt
                          +5 equipment bonus to Stealth in heavy foliage
                          Lightweaving:14 ppt + 3 ppt for Alternate Effects
                          Magical Power

Variable 2 (illusory powers) • 14 ppt
                          Besides the Illusion power, this can be set to other powers with the illusion descriptor, e.g. Concealment

ALT - Bladesong:10 ppt
                          Magical Power

Damage +610 ppt
                          Extras: Variable Descriptor 1 (any bladed melee weapon attack), Aura (sonic), Accurate 3, Flaw: Expertise: Music Check Required 1
                          Expertise: Music DC 11 (1 rank of Damage per Expertise: Music result in excess of 10)

ALT - Lucky:9 ppt
                          Magical Luck Power

Enhanced Advantages 9 [Luck (Edit Scene) 1, Luck (Heroic Feat) 1, Luck (Improve Roll) +4, Luck (Inspiration) 1, Luck (Recover) 2] • 9 ppt

ALT - Worldsinger:8 ppt
                          Magical Power

Enhanced Advantages 3 [Ritualist, Benefit 1 (use Expertise: Music for rituals), Ultimate Effort (Expertise: Music)] • 3 ppt

Quickness 93 ppt
                          Flaw: Limited to One Task (designing rituals)
                          Design rituals in -9 time ranks

Quickness 62 ppt
                          Flaw: Limited to One Task (performing rituals)
                          Perform rituals in -6 time ranks
                          Wisdom:7 ppt + 3 ppt for Alternate Effects
                          Training Power

Impervious Will 105 ppt
                          Flaw: Limited to behavior-influencing effects

Enhanced Advantages 2 [Second Chance (mind control), Ultimate Effort (Will)] • 2 ppt

ALT - Swiftness:7 ppt
                          Magical/Training Power

Speed 11 ppt
                          4 mph, 60 ft/round

Enhanced Acrobatics 42 ppt

Enhanced Advantages 4 [Improved Initiative 2, Move-By Action, Seize Initiative] • 4 ppt

ALT - Rhythm:7 ppt
                          Training Power

Enhanced Expertise: Music 63 ppt

Enhanced Advantages 4 [Improved Critical (Saber) 2, Second Chance (being tripped), Skill Mastery (Acrobatics)] • 4 ppt

ALT - Cheer:7 ppt
                          Magical/Training Power

Healing 14 ppt
                          Extras: Energizing, Stabilize

Enhanced Advantages 3 [Leadership, Skill Mastery (Persuasion), Ultimate Effort (Healing)] • 3 ppt
                          Combat Deception:2 ppt
                          Training Power

Enhanced Deception 62 ppt
                          Flaw: Limited to combat interaction skill uses
                          ADVANTAGES [15 ppt]

• Beginner's Luck • Connected • Defensive Roll 4 • Equipment 5 • Improved DefenseImproved Disarm • Luck (Improve Roll) 1 • Power Attack • Set-Up 1 • Taunt • Weapon Bind

EQUIPMENT [23 ep]
                          • Chain-Mail: Protection 33 ep
                          • Gnomish Musket: Damage 612 ep + 2 ep for Alternate Equipment
                            Extra: Increased Range 1 (ranged)
                            • ALT - Saber: Damage 3 (Strength-based) • 4 ep
                              Extra: Dangerous 1
                            • ALT - Knife: Damage 1 (Strength-based) • 4 ep
                              Extras: Dangerous 2, Concealable
                              DC 22 to find when hidden as a routine check
                          • Lute1 ep
                          • Holy Book1 ep
                          • Holy Symbol1 ep

►Gnomish Burrow:3 ep
                          Headquarters: PL10, Size T (gnomish burrow), Toughness +8.
                          Features: Library • Living Space • Shrine •
                          LANGUAGES
                          • native: Smigrin •
                          SKILLS [25 ppt]
                          Acrobatics 1 (+5, or +9 in Swiftness mode) • Athletics 4 (+4) • Deception 4 (+7, or +13 for combat) • Expertise: Art 5 (+8) • Expertise: Leadership 1 (+4) • Expertise: Magic 1 (+4) • Expertise: Music 11 (+14, or +20 in Rhythm mode) • Insight 1 (+6) • Intimidation 0 (+1) • Persuasion 7 (+10) • Ranged Combat: Muskets 12 (+14) • Stealth 2 (+10, or +15 in heavy foliage) • Treatment 1 (+4) •
                          Expertise: Leadership is generally Presence-based.

DEFENSES [12 ppt]
                          Dodge 1 (+9) • Parry 0 (+9) •
                          Fortitude 5 (+9) • Toughness (+11/+7*) • Will 6 (+11) •
                          *without Defensive Roll

OFFENSE
                          Initiative +4, or +12 in Swiftness mode
                          • Unarmed: +5 • Close Damage DC 15 (Strength-based), bludgeoning.
                          • Saber: +5 • Close Damage DC 18 (Strength-based), piercing/slashing, crit 19-20.
                          • Saber (with Bladesong): +11 • Close Damage DC 24 (Strength-based), piercing/slashing/sonic, crit 19-20 • Expertise: Music Check (DC 11) Required.
                          • Knife: +5 • Close Damage DC 16 (Strength-based), piercing/slashing, crit 18-20.
                          • Knife (with Bladesong): +11 • Close Damage DC 22 (Strength-based), piercing/slashing/sonic, crit 18-20 • Expertise: Music Check (DC 11) Required.
                          • Gnomish Musket: +14; Ranged (150/300/600 ft) Damage DC 21, piercing/ballistic.
                          COMPLICATIONS
                          Motivation - Responsibility: Gifdensnop is a missionary for the Daelist Way; he holds himself to a high standard of representing and propagating the religion.

Curiosity: It killed the cat, and someday it may catch this inquisitive gnome too.

Pet Peeve: Gifdensnop is annoyed by people shortening his name.
                          ABILITIES [ 54 ] + SKILLS [ 25 ] + ADVANTAGES [ 15 ] + POWERS [ 44 ] + DEFENSES [ 12 ]
                          150 PPT TOTAL

BIO

The Daelist Way -- characterized by the Four Virtues (Wisdom (or integrity), Swiftness (or proactivity), Rhythm (or balance), and Cheer (or optimism)) -- is a religion founded by the Forest Gnomes of the far southern coast, an inconsequential people on the world's scale. Gifdensnop is a traveling embodiment of the religion, hoping he can expand its horizons a bit.

NOTES

This is a character from one of my fantasy worlds. I don't know why in particular I felt inspired to stat him up in M&M, especially when Illusion is so expensive for its effect in this system, but there you have it.

Recently re-written; most of his Devices have now become Equipment, and Bladesong/Lucky/Worldsinger have been combined with Lightweaving into an array.

Comment

Fire Spirit

Summoned by Wildran
                            Power Level 9 (135 ppt)

ABILITIES [0 ppt]
                            Strength -4 (-4) • Stamina 4 (+4) • Agility 3 (+3) • Dexterity -2 (-2) •
                            Fighting 2 (+2) • Intellect -3 (-3) • Awareness 1 (+1) • Presence -1 (-1) •
                            Load limit 3 lb.

POWERS [76 ppt]

Creature of Flame:45 ppt
                            Primal Power

Insubstantial 3 (fire) • 17 ppt
                            Extras: Innate, Affects Corporeal on Strength 1, Flaw: Permanent
                            Insubstantial 3, as per its description, includes immunity to the Fire descriptor

Environment 1 (light, extreme heat) • 3 ppt
                            Extra: Increased Duration (continuous), Flaw: Permanent
                            30-ft radius

Environment 2 (intense heat) • 2 ppt
                            60-ft radius

Burn: Energy Aura 520 ppt

Movement 1 (Safe Fall) • 2 ppt

Movement 1 (Sure-Footed 1) • 1 ppt
                            Flaw: Limited to moving along flammable media
                            Elemental:13 ppt
                            Primal Power

Immunity 13 (aging, critical hits, disease, emotion effects, poison, sleep, starvation & thirst, suffocation: strangulation) • 13 ppt
                            Blaze:6 ppt + 4 ppt for Alternate Effects
                            Primal Power

Environment 3 (extreme heat, light) • 6 ppt
                            Flaw: Fortitude Check Required 3
                            120-ft radius; Fortitude DC 13 (1 rank of Environment per Fortitude result in excess of 12)

ALT - Immolate:6 ppt
                            Primal Power

Damage 36 ppt
                            Extras: Area (Cloud 1), Selective, Flaw: Fortitude Check Required 3
                            Fortitude DC 13 (1 rank of Damage per Fortitude result in excess of 12)

ALT - Flicker:5 ppt
                            Primal Power

Teleport 25 ppt
                            Extras: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Turnabout, Flaw: Medium (fire)
                            120 ft; move action; bring 50 lb. along

ALT - Kindle:6 ppt
                            Primal Power

Regeneration 126 ppt
                            Flaw: Source (fire)

ALT - Melt:6 ppt
                            Primal Power

Weaken Toughness 4 (Fortitude) • 6 ppt
                            Extras: Affects Only Objects, Area (Cloud 1), Flaw: Fortitude Check Required 2
                            Fortitude DC 12 (1 rank of Weaken per Fortitude result in excess of 11)
                            Clinging Flame:8 ppt
                            Primal Power

Enhanced Dexterity 88 ppt
                            Flaw: Limited to grabbing
                            ADVANTAGES [13 ppt]

• Agile Feint • Daze (Intimidation) • Defensive Roll 4 • Extraordinary Effort • Grabbing Finesse • Improved Hold • Improved Initiative 1 • Second Chance (mind control) • Skill Mastery (Acrobatics) • Uncanny Dodge •

LANGUAGES
                            • native: Primordial •
                            SKILLS [20 ppt]
                            Acrobatics 7 (+10) • Close Combat: Grab 10 (+12) • Expertise: Nature 1 (-2) • Intimidation 12 (+11) • Perception 6 (+7) • Sleight of Hand 4 (+2) •

DEFENSES [26 ppt]
                            Dodge 7 (+10) • Parry 6 (+8) •
                            Fortitude 7 (+11) • Toughness (+8/+4*) • Will 6 (+7) •
                            *without Defensive Roll

OFFENSE
                            Initiative +7
                            • Burn: +2, or automatic when touched by foe • Close Damage DC 20, fire.
                            • Grab: +12 • Close • DC 16 (with a -5 penalty to escape) • triggers Burn (above).
                            • Immolate: Dodge DC 13 • Close Area (15-ft Cloud) Damage DC 18, fire • Selective, Fortitude Check (DC 13) Required.
                            • Melt: Dodge DC 14 • Close Area (15-ft Cloud) Weaken Toughness DC 14 (Fortitude), heat • Affects Only Objects, Fortitude Check (DC 12) Required.
                            COMPLICATIONS
                            Weakness: Water effects, which can do additional Damage (5 Ranks) to the Fire Spirit or act as an Affliction (Fortitude; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated), at the GM's option. Such attacks can even bypass its immunity to physical damage due to Insubstantial, and bypass its Immunity to Critical Hits.

(see Wildran)
                            ABILITIES [ 0 ] + SKILLS [ 20 ] + ADVANTAGES [ 13 ] + POWERS [ 76 ] + DEFENSES [ 26 ]
                            135 PPT TOTAL

NOTES

Unlike the other two elemental spirits, this build ended up feeling very tight on points. If you see somewhere obvious where I should give up on an ability, without losing flavor, in order to save some points, let me know.

I'm taking it at face value when the rules for Insubstantial 3 say that you're immune to your own energy type -- apparently without needing the Immunity power for that descriptor. I only feel a little bit like this is cheating, because Insubstantial 3 otherwise offers very little benefit over Insubstantial 2. Essentially, I'm seeing it as a discount on Immunity that you get if you're combining Immunity with Insubstantial (20 ppt benefit for 15 ppt).

Where the Earth Spirit is supposed to be the go-to Spirit for Wildran in general, and the Storm Spirit is specially for situations where the Sila Scouts are up against hordes of weak opponents, the Fire Spirit is supposed to be for boss fights. Sic him on the boss and have him Grab, dealing automatic damage each turn. Unfortunately I was only able to get the Escape DC up to 21 (effective), with the aforementioned shortage of power points; but at least when the Fire Spirit spends his turn re-grabbing, he also gets to deal damage (as a Reaction) on the same turn.

Comment

Defensive Roll says it makes Toughness into an active defense "similar to Dodge and Parry." It goes on to state that this is a problem when a character is Vulnerable or Defenseless.

However, shouldn't this also mean that Toughness with Defensive Roll gains the benefits of being an active defense, too? (E.g. synergy with Improved Defense or Shrinking.)

Does anyone know anywhere where the rules or official-ish commentary have ruled on this specific question?

Comment

Nathan Ford

"Leverage" character
                                Power Level 6 (110 ppt)

ABILITIES [36 ppt]
                                Strength 1 (+1) • Stamina 2 (+2) • Agility 1 (+1) • Dexterity 1 (+1) •
                                Fighting 2 (+2) • Intellect 5 (+5) • Awareness 3 (+3) • Presence 3 (+3) •
                                Load limit 100 lb.

POWERS [19 ppt]

Bizarre Machinations:15 ppt
                                Training (Beginner's Luck)/Luck Power
                                "Incredibly, chance does seem to bend itself to his bizarre machinations." -Sophie

Enhanced Advantages 5 [Beginner's Luck, Luck (Edit Scene) 2, Luck (Improve Roll) 2] • 15 ppt
                                Extras: Affects Others, Area (Perception: hearing), Selective, Flaw: Communication-Dependent
                                Surprise Attack:2 ppt
                                Training Power

Enhanced Advantages 4 [Improved Critical (Unarmed) 4] • 2 ppt
                                Flaw: Limited to use against Vulnerable or Defenseless targets
                                Bone-Conduction Earbud, Device (Removable):2 / 3 ppt
                                Technological Power

Feature 1 (commlink)
                                Extras: Extended Range 1, Subtle 1
                                5 mi; Perception DC 20 to spot
                                ADVANTAGES [19 ppt]

Beginner's Luck • Benefit 2 (Wealth 2: independently wealthy) • Defensive Roll 3 • Equipment 2 • Favored Foe (insurance companies) • Improved Initiative 1 • Inspire 2 • Languages 3 • Leadership • Luck (Edit Scene) 2Luck (Improve Roll) 2 • Redirect • Speed of Thought • Teamwork • Well-Informed •

EQUIPMENT [7 ep]
                                • Smartphone2 ep
                                • Shared Vehicle: Lucille (detailed under Hardison)3 ep

►Leverage Headquarters:2 / 10 ep
                                Headquarters: PL6, Size S (large apartment), Toughness +8.
                                Features: Computer • Fire Prevention System • Power System • Secret 1 (DC 20) • Security System 3 (DC 30) • Trophy Room •
                                Deathtrap: Damage 4, Extra: Area (Burst 2).
                                LANGUAGES
                                • native: English • Italian • Russian • Spanish • Turkish •
                                SKILLS [27 ppt]
                                Acrobatics 1 (+2) • Athletics 1 (+2) • Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+5) • Deception 4 (+7) • Expertise: Art 1 (+6) • Expertise: Chess 4 (+9) • Expertise: Finances 5 (+10) • Expertise: Law 1 (+6) • Expertise: Theology 2 (+7) • Insight 6 (+9) • Intimidation 2 (+5) • Investigation 8 (+13) • Perception 2 (+5) • Persuasion 4 (+7) • Sleight of Hand 7 (+8) • Vehicles 3 (+4) •

DEFENSES [9 ppt]
                                Dodge 2 (+3) • Parry 1 (+3) •
                                Fortitude 2 (+4) • Toughness (+5/+2*) • Will 4 (+7) •
                                *without Defensive Roll

OFFENSE
                                Initiative +9
                                • Unarmed: +5 • Close Damage DC 16 (Strength-based), bludgeoning.
                                  Crit 16-20 vs. Vulnerable/Defenseless targets
                                • HQ Deathtrap: Dodge DC 14 • Close Area (60-ft Burst) Damage DC 19, explosive.
                                COMPLICATIONS
                                Motivation - Justice: Rid the world of injustices wrought by the rich and powerful against the poor and ordinary.

Alcoholic: A classic addiction.

Flashbacks: Hospitals make Nate very nervous and give him flashbacks to the death of his son Sam.

Self-Loathing: For guilt over his son's death, and for becoming a criminal.

Relationships: With Maggie Collins, his ex-wife; and with Sophie Devereaux, with whom there has long been a flirtatious attraction.
                                ABILITIES [ 36 ] + SKILLS [ 27 ] + ADVANTAGES [ 19 ] + POWERS [ 19 ] + DEFENSES [ 9 ]
                                110 PPT TOTAL

BIO

A former insurance investigator for I.Y.S., now the leader of Leverage Consulting & Associates. One of "the good guys," but that doesn't always mean he's a nice person.

NOTES

Feedback from fans of the show appreciated as always.
                                Last edited by CaptainKaulu; 09-06-2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X