We...are the Crystal Gems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We...are the Crystal Gems!

So I was looking around and was surprised that I couldn't find any of the characters for Steven Universe statted out for M&M.

I'm still a bit new to the system and figured I'd take a crack and it and see if anyone had any input to the builds.

I'm gonna start with the easier ones, like Pearl and Amethyst, before getting to ones with more unusual abilities like Lapis Lazuli and Garnet. Steven himself might actually come in at a pretty high PL, he has a lot of powers by the time of the movie and SUF.

One thing I noticed? Gems have a pretty fat stack of Immunities right out of the gate and some of their "basic" powers come in a bit pricey. Anyone care to see if we can streamline this?

Here we go...

(Edit) anyone have any ideas how to represent their "Gem Storage" ability? They can store physical objects in their gems. Maybe have this and Bubbling be one power? Not sure how to state that up or if I even should...

Pearl
    Ruby
    Sapphire
    Amethyst
    Jasper
    Last edited by Coeloptera; 17th February 2020, 04:20 PM.

PEARL

"We're the only ones left. Homeworld. They were all leaving. We thought we'd won. There was a bright light and everyone was-why did I do it?"

Pearl - PL 10

Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 7, Dexterity 5, Fighting 4, Intellect 5, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
    Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Benefit, Athletics Based on Agility, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Eidetic Memory, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Inventor, Languages 1, Set-up

Skills
    Acrobatics 2 (+9), Athletics 1 (+8), Close Combat: Spear Summon: Strength-based Damage 5 3 (+7), Perception 1 (+2), Technology 2 (+7), Vehicles 1 (+6)

Powers
    Gemkind: Immunity 12 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep)
    Holo Display: Illusion 1 (Affects: Two Sense Types, Area: 2 cft., DC 11)
    Holo Pearl: Summon 7 (Active, Controlled, Multiple Minions 3: 8 minions)
    Humanoid Morph: Morph 3 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Broad group; Quirk: Retains color scheme)
    Immortality: Immortality 9 (Return after 2 hours; Custom: Unless gem is deliberately shattered)
    Spear Summon: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 22; Penetrating 3)
    Energy Blast: Damage 5 (Alternate; DC 20; Penetrating 3)

Offense
    Initiative +11
    Energy Blast: Damage 5, +4 (DC 20)
    Grab, +4 (DC Spec 12)
    Spear Summon: Strength-based Damage 5, +7 (DC 22)
    Throw, +5 (DC 17)
    Unarmed, +4 (DC 17)

Languages
    English, Gemglyph

Defense
    Dodge 9, Parry 6, Fortitude 4, Toughness 5/4, Will 3

Power Points
    Abilities 58 + Powers 124 + Advantages 12 + Skills 5 (10 ranks) + Defenses 6 = 205

I noticed the Holo Pearl ability came in a bit pricey (70 points), but she's been shown summoning 7 of the things at once. Even with the reduced levels, it's a lot.
    Given her expertise at melee combat, I gave her a good number of Advantages on that end, as well as Inventor, since she's been seen bashing alien tech together from Earth-stuff and even built a functional spaceship.

(Edit). I over-pointed her for PL10 but she comes in under her caps. Again, Holo Pearl is so expensive I'm okay with this. Jab's Multiple Man build, for example, comes in at 249 Points for a PL7 due to Duplication.
    (Another edit!) I totally forgot Pearl has a low-level energy blast from her spear. Nothing crazy, but it's been used several times in the show.

So - feedback?
    Last edited by Coeloptera; 3rd February 2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

RUBY

"I used to feel like I wasn't much good, just one of me on my own, but when we're together, it feels like it's okay to just be me. So I wanna be me, with you, and, and, not even the Diamonds will come between us. And if they try, we'll beat em up!"

Ruby - PL 10

Strength 4, Stamina 6, Agility 3, Dexterity 4, Fighting 5, Intellect 2, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
      All-out Attack, Animal Empathy, Improved Initiative 2, Interpose, Languages 1, Power Attack

Skills
      Acrobatics 1 (+4), Athletics 3 (+7), Close Combat: Gauntlet Summon: Strength-based Damage 3 3 (+8), Intimidation 2 (+3), Investigation 2 (+4), Perception 1 (+2), Vehicles 1 (+5)

Powers
      Flame Aura: Damage 5 (fire, heat, DC 20; Reaction 3: reaction)
      Gauntlet Summon: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 22)
      Gemkind: Immunity 22 (Aging, Common Descriptor: Fire, Life Support, Sleep)
      Humanoid Morph: Morph 3 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Broad group; Quirk: Retains color scheme)
      Immortality: Immortality 9 (Return after 2 hours; Custom: Unless gem is deliberately shattered)

Offense
      Initiative +11
      Flame Aura: Damage 5, +5 (DC 20)
      Gauntlet Summon: Strength-based Damage 3, +8 (DC 22)
      Grab, +5 (DC Spec 14)
      Throw, +4 (DC 19)
      Unarmed, +5 (DC 19)

Languages
      English, Gemglyph

Defense
      Dodge 6, Parry 7, Fortitude 8, Toughness 6, Will 2

Power Points
      Abilities 52 + Powers 76 + Advantages 7 + Skills 7 (13 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 150

I think Ruby comes in at a solid PL10. She's pretty straightforward. Built as a guard so she has Interpose, Imp. Init. All Out and Power Attacks. Good Fortitude save, and as we see in "Ruby Rider" and Garnet's origins, a few outdoorsy skills for flavor.
      Last edited by Coeloptera; 19th February 2020, 02:10 AM.

Comment

SAPPHIRE

"Ruby, my future used to look like one single, obvious stream, unbending 'til the end of time. In an instant, you pulled me from that destiny, and opened my eye to an explosion of infinite possible futures, streaking across space and time, altered and obliterated by the smallest force of will. What I mean is, you changed my life. And then, I changed your life. And now, we change our lives."

Sapphire - PL 10

Strength 1, Stamina 3, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Fighting 2, Intellect 3, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
        Assessment, Disarming (DC 12), Evasion 2, Improved Initiative 3, Interpose, Languages 1

Skills
        Athletics 1 (+2), Deception 2 (+4), Insight 3 (+6), Investigation 2 (+5), Perception 2 (+5), Persuasion 3 (+5), Stealth 1 (+5)

Powers
        Future Vision: Senses 5 (Danger Sense: Sight, Precognition)
        Gauntlet Summon: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 19)
        Gemkind: Immunity 22 (Aging, Common Descriptor: Cold, Life Support, Sleep)
        Ice Aura: Damage 5 (cold, ice, DC 20; Reaction 3: reaction)
        Speed: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)

Offense
        Initiative +16
        Gauntlet Summon: Strength-based Damage 3, +2 (DC 19)
        Grab, +2 (DC Spec 11)
        Ice Aura: Damage 5, +2 (DC 20)
        Throw, +3 (DC 16)
        Unarmed, +2 (DC 16)

Languages
        English, Gemglyph

Defense
        Dodge 7, Parry 3, Fortitude 4, Toughness 3, Will 4

Power Points
        Abilities 42 + Powers 86 + Advantages 9 + Skills 7 (14 ranks) + Defenses 6 = 150

Ruby's "Laughy Sapphie" was actually pretty easy to stat up. Her powers are straightforward but terribly useful, especially for noncombat applications. Very much a perception-based character, good diplomat, not a lot of skills but decent ranks in the ones she does have.

NOTE: I'm saving a lot of the Advantages like Speed of Thought and Seize Initiative for Garnet. Sapphire isn't built for combat, and despite her Future Vision has been seen to be a bit slow off the mark sometimes due to lack of training and an instinct for combat.
        Last edited by Coeloptera; 8th February 2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

AMETHYST

"Sounds to me like you're too in your head. In a fight, you never know what's gonna happen, You just gotta go with it. How can you get ready when you don't even know what you're getting ready for, huh? Yeah, you can't be ready. What you gotta be is loose."

Amethyst - PL 10

Strength 6, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 4, Fighting 5, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 1

Advantages
          All-out Attack, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Languages 1, Move-by Action, Power Attack

Skills
          Acrobatics 1 (+3), Athletics 3 (+9), Close Combat: Whip Summon: Strength-based Damage 4 3 (+8), Deception 1 (+2), Perception 1 (+1), Stealth 1 (+3)

Powers
          Shapechange: Morph 4 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Any form; Quirk: Retains color scheme)
          Elongation: Elongation 1 (Alternate; Elongation: 15 feet, +1 to grab)
          Growth: Growth 6 (Alternate; [0 active, 0/19 PP, 2/r-1], +6 STR, +6 STA, +3 Intimidate, -6 Stealth, -3 active defenses, +1 size rank, +6 mass ranks; Linked: Shapechange: Morph 4; Quirk: Retains Color Scheme)
          Spin Dash: Line Area Damage 7 (DC 22; Line Area 2: 5 feet wide by 60 feet long, DC 17)
          Dash 'Splosion: Burst Area Damage 6 (Alternate; [0 active, 0/21 PP, 2/r], DC 21; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 16, Linked: Speed: Speed 5)
          Single Target Ram: Damage 6 (Alternate; [0 active, 0/21 PP, 1/r], DC 21; Linked: Speed: Speed 5)
          Speed: Speed 5 (Alternate; Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Linked: Spin Dash: Line Area Damage 7)
          Whip Summon: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 25)
          Snare: Cumulative Affliction 1 (Alternate; 1st degree: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless and Immobilized, Resisted by: Dodge, overcome by Damage or Sleight of Hand, DC 11; Cumulative, Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged; Limited Degree)
          Swinging: Movement 2 (Alternate; Swinging, Wall-crawling 1: -1 speed rank)

Offense
          Initiative +6
          Dash 'Splosion: Burst Area Damage 6 (DC 21)
          Grab, +9 (DC Spec 17)
          Single Target Ram: Damage 6, +5 (DC 21)
          Snare: Cumulative Affliction 1, +4 (DC Fort/Will 11)
          Spin Dash: Line Area Damage 7 (DC 22)
          Throw, +4 (DC 21)
          Unarmed, +8 (DC 21)
          Whip Summon: Strength-based Damage 4, +8 (DC 25)

Languages
          English, Gemglyph

Defense
          Dodge 6, Parry 7, Fortitude 6, Toughness 4, Will 1

Power Points
          Abilities 44 + Powers 83 + Advantages 9 + Skills 5 (10 ranks) + Defenses 9 = 150

Amethyst was a pretty straightforward build as well. Lots of powers (then again, she is built to be a straight fighter). The Shapechange brings her up to near some of her caps, I could have gone higher, but she hasn't been seen to go any bigger than a smallish excavator.

I went 8 points over just to get her in line with what we've seen her do. I used Jab's Cannonball build as a template for her Spin Dash and I think it really works. Her Skills come from combat and wrestling, she hasn't been shown to have too much else. Same with the low Will Defense. This is not her area.

(Edit) Added Move by Action to represent how her Spin Attack allows her to move while doing it. (Edit again!) Linked Speed to all her Spin Dash powers, I think it better represents how it works. She spins up, moves, and the effect hits mid- or end-of action. Also a more efficient use of points. She's back to 150.
          Last edited by Coeloptera; 19th February 2020, 02:11 AM.

Comment

This has been an entertaining read, although I don't watch the series. Good to see people posting here again.
            [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
            [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

Well, just getting into this system, so building some characters with a variety of abilities that I'm very familiar with (big fan of the show) helps because I get a good feel if they seem to come off correctly. I'm going in order of complexity. So next it'll be in more-or-less this order - Jasper, Bismuth, Spinel, Garnet, Peridot, Lapis Lazuli, and finally, Steven.

Steven's pretty damn powerful too. Not sure how many points he'll top out at, but his caps are prolly fairly solid PL11. I see there are some play-by-post games, I have a RL gaming group so I'm learning this to run some stuff (primarily current edition Chronicles of Darkness and Pathfinder right now), although I used to help run MU*s back in the day. Pity I don't see so many of those anymore, and none using this system, surprisingly.

(edit). Ha! I just noticed I've been using Ruby's Immunities template on Sapphire and Amethyst. Fixing those. They're not fireproof. But Sapphire is coldproof.
              Last edited by Coeloptera; 10th February 2020, 02:35 PM.

Comment

JASPER

"Every Gem is made with a purpose: To serve the Order of the Diamonds. Those who cannot fit inside this order must be purged! To come out misshapen, to reshape yourself outside your purpose, and to defend this ruined, worthless planet is a disgrace!"

Jasper - PL 10

Strength 9, Stamina 6, Agility 2, Dexterity 4, Fighting 6, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 2

Advantages
                All-out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Fascinate (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative 2, Languages 1, Move-by Action, Power Attack

Skills
                Acrobatics 2 (+4), Athletics 1 (+10), Close Combat: Helmet Summon: Strength-based Damage 4 5 (+11), Intimidation 6 (+8), Perception 1 (+1), Ranged Combat: Throw 1 (+5)

Powers
                Helmet Summon: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 25)
                Shapechange: Morph 4 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Any form; Quirk: Retains color scheme)
                Spin Dash: Line Area Damage 7 (DC 22; Line Area 2: 5 feet wide by 60 feet long, DC 17)
                Dash 'Splosion: Burst Area Damage 6 (Alternate; [0 active, 0/21 PP, 2/r], DC 21; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 16, Linked: Speed: Speed 5)
                Single Target Ram: Damage 6 (Alternate; [0 active, 0/21 PP, 1/r], DC 21; Linked: Speed: Speed 5)
                Speed: Speed 5 (Alternate; Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Linked: Spin Dash: Line Area Damage 7)

Offense
                Initiative +10
                Dash 'Splosion: Burst Area Damage 6 (DC 21)
                Grab, +11 (DC Spec 19)
                Helmet Summon: Strength-based Damage 4, +10 (DC 25)
                Single Target Ram: Damage 6, +6 (DC 21)
                Spin Dash: Line Area Damage 7 (DC 22)
                Throw, +5 (DC 24)
                Unarmed, +11 (DC 24)

Languages
                English, Gemglyph

Defense
                Dodge 6, Parry 9, Fortitude 9, Toughness 6, Will 2

Power Points
                Abilities 58 + Powers 78 + Advantages 10 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Defenses 12 = 166

A "perfect cut", the gem equivalent of a super-soldier, Jasper was pretty easy to stat out. I started with the Powerhouse template and modded it a bit using Amethyst (a fellow quartz soldier) as a base for the powers. She has shown far less variety in what she can do than Amethyst, but that just means she's more of a straight-up wrecking machine.
                I stopped the STR score at 9 due to what we've seen her do in the show. Gems are powerful, but there are things they've just never been shown doing. Impervious Toughness, for example, just isn't part of the species.
                She's got good saves (save Will, but that fits her), a very decent ability to hit and parry, and with her Helmet up and All-Out and Power Attack she's gonna leave a mark.
                She's a smidge over-pointed, but again, gems have all these Immunities and Immortality as a base part of the build, so I'm okay with it.

I am debating a level or 2 of Leaping, but I gotta think that one over.
                Last edited by Coeloptera; 17th February 2020, 04:19 PM.

Comment

After building Amethyst, I feel like I may have built Ruby a bit inefficiently. Anyone have any ideas how to buff her up a bit at the same point value?

Comment

BISMUTH

BismuthMovie.jpg

"Homeworld used us Bismuths to erect spires and temples for the Gem elites to enjoy. But Rose taught me that my life was my own, that I could choose to do whatever I wanted. So I chose this."

Bismuth - PL 10

Strength 8, Stamina 6, Agility 2, Dexterity 5, Fighting 5, Intellect 3, Awareness 0, Presence 3

Advantages
                    All-out Attack, Artificer, Benefit, Ambidexterity, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Inventor, Languages 1

Skills
                    Athletics 1 (+9), Close Combat: Hand-Shifting: Strength-based Damage 5 4 (+9), Expertise: Forging & Metallurgy 7 (+10), Insight 2 (+2), Intimidation 1 (+4), Perception 2 (+2), Technology 4 (+7), Vehicles 1 (+6)

Powers
                    Gemkind: Immunity 22 (Aging, Common Descriptor: Fire, Life Support, Sleep)
                    Hand-Shifting: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 26; Feature: Create Tools)

Offense
                    Initiative +10
                    Grab, +5 (DC Spec 18)
                    Hand-Shifting: Strength-based Damage 5, +9 (DC 26)
                    Throw, +5 (DC 23)
                    Unarmed, +5 (DC 23)

Languages
                    English, Gemglyph

Defense
                    Dodge 5, Parry 7, Fortitude 8, Toughness 6, Will 1

Power Points
                    Abilities 64 + Powers 59 + Advantages 8 + Skills 11 (22 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 150

Bismuth was another fairly simple build. A fighter and builder, she's got a save DC on her weapon just a smidge beyond her caps, but I'm okay with that, her shapeshifted hands have shown to be devastating if they hit. Her skills aren't wide-ranging, but she has some major concentrations that run nice and high. Decent saves except for Will, but as portrayed, she's made some bad spur-of-the-moment decisions and kept at them until talked down.

Gave her both Inventor and Artificer to represent the broad range of what we've seen her build. I didn't give her any equipment, but I might later.
                    Last edited by Coeloptera; 23rd February 2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X