Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BARON's DC Adventures/M&M builds, adventures, & more!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BARON's DC Adventures/M&M builds, adventures, & more!

First thing is first, I do use houserules. This is by no means a complete list. I'm getting back into M&M and am trying to fine tune it to exactly the game I want...

House Rules
    • Cap Balance: The biggest house rule I use is a trick developed on the old Atomic Think Tank forums. There was a thread about the imbalance between defense/accuracy & toughness/high effect styles. Basically the game as written wasn't fair to characters who weren't "tankish", so somebody did the math and found out that a more balanced way was to grant a bonus to damage/effect equal to +1 per 2 points over a target defense up to +5. This means that if Nightwing hits Penguin with his escrima sticks and beats Penguin's parry defense by 6, he gets a +3 to his effective damage. This doesn't nerf impervious; you still go with the original damage there. Batman can't kick an Aircraft Carrier in half. It has a huge effect on minion battles where characters like Batman or Nightwing can now breeze through such encouters just like their Kryptonian or otherwise tankish peers. I've tested this and it works great. I've also played without it and I find the RAW frustrate players. This leads me into my next houserule...
    • Critical Hits: Crits work different in my games. When your attack is ten points higher or more than the target defense, it's automatically a critical at which point your cap balance bonus can behave as a critical hit. This doesn't nerf Improved Critical either. Each point of the Improved Critical advantage/extra lowers that number by one. So if you attack with a sword, you critically hit if you beat your opponent's parry by 9. The Max is still 4 ranks. That's a critical hit if you beat your opponent's defense by only 6. Looking to test this and make sure I'm working with improved critical instead of against it.
    • Movement & Move Actions: This one is more for my players that I personally game with. Many of them are used to 5th edition D&D now, so it's more for their sake. I rename move action to "bonus action" and use movement as simply an amount of distance you can move per round. This turns moving twice into a "dash" standard action. Everything else is the same and you still need move by action to stop and start within your range of movement. So, for example, If Green Arrow tries to use deception as a bonus action he does so at -5. Superman can't move anymore if he moves into melee and hits somebody, but Batman can. The twist here is that "bonus actions" must be done instead of movement, although one can move and do a bonus action at the expense of a standard.
    • Game Master Guide Options: In short, I try to use all of them. And for dice rolling I opt to go with 3d6. Again looking to test this. I like the idea of predictable rolls that show character limits more often. If the write up suggests that Deathstroke fighting Bane would be a good fight, I want a rolling system in place that depicts exactly that.

I also plan on detailing sample adventures & occasionally even rolling them out in a mock game or a real live one. I don't have all the books. I'm looking to see if the game has added worthwhile additional rules in some of the more recent splats.

TABLE of CONTENTS

Earth 53
    Superman & Wonder Woman (first page)
    Batman
    Aquaman
    Green Lantern
    the Flash
    Martian Manhunter
    the Joker
    Green Arrow
    Deathstroke
    Harley Quinn

Marvel Comics
    Captain America
    Spiderman

Potpourri
    the Shredder
    the Monarch
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 07-24-2015, 10:59 PM.
    Go Saints.

Re: BARON's DC Adventures/M&M builds, adventures, & more!

Question to folks around here: Is Icons okay to post about here?

Also, excuse some absence initially with this thread; My home desktop is down at the moment. Should be fixed within the week. In the meantime I do have one quick adventure!

The RELIGION OF CRIME!

Scaled for 2-3 Power Level 12 characters

Adventure Synopsis: Intergang is after the fabled Crime Bible which promises incredible power and wealth to whoever follows its sinister prophecy. But lurking in the shadows, a mysterious ally has their own intentions. Designed for a small party of heroes in a similar fashion to an episode of Justice League Unlimited.

Designer Notes: In this adventure, you'll be seeing everything scaled for PL12 characters. Henchmen are going to be around the PL6 mark, Lieutennants come in a pair of PL10 baddies, and the big bad is a PL13. They're mentioned in bold with accompanied page number and source. Force ranks also make an appearance (GMG page 194).

Part 1: Museum Heist
    We start on a museum heist at night in progress. Members of Intergang have blasted their way through security, sensors, guards, etc. They're after a rare painting of an infamous Spanish Conquistador, nicknamed "El Tirano". The painting is valuable, but not as valuable as what's inscribed on the back of it. It's a code that will lead you to the location of the Crime Bible, which Tirano himself spent much of life trying to find. Four Intergang Thugs (DC Universe page 35), or a force rank of 2 if you like, are in the middle of making off with the painting when they're stopped by a random one of the players (roll a 6 sided die). Play up the abilities of that solo character; how do they find out about the heist? How do they enter the museum? Whether victorious against the thugs or not, the fight ends when one of them opens a Boom Tube and escapes with the painting. If the solo character present is particularly tough or if you just want to get nasty during this fight, have the thugs produce a rocket launcher.

Part 2: Skyscraper Penthouse
    Intergang is operating out of a Skyscraper Penthouse (GMG page 218). Finding the location of it is up to the players. Maybe they read a thugs' mind, maybe they conduct an investigation, or maybe they pulled in a few favors using Connected. In any event, consider finding the Penthouse an opposed check against Bruno Mannheim's Crime Expertise (DC Universe page 35). Within are Mannheim, 10 Intergang Thugs (force rank 3), Whisper A'Daire, and Kyle Abbot (both on page 34 & 35 of the DCU). Mannheim is in room 7. A'Daire is in room 13 with Abbot guarding the door outside. The patrol of Thugs effectively covers the hallways, room 3, & room 4. A'Daire will attempt to hypnotize anyone who comes near her, especially men, by taking a deception check as a bonus action and following with her gaze. The thugs show up immediately if the players are detected. Mannheim has already made his arrangements after deciphering the location of the Crime Bible. He'll try to flee if his forces are beaten. Interrogating him successfully counts towards a skill challenge which I'll detail below.

Skill Challenge: DC22 to find the location which is in a Hidden Temple (GMG page 206) deep in a South American rainforest. The goal is to get 7 successes before 5 failures. The Temple itself is isolated, so in addition to the skill challenge the players will need a mode of transport or be forced to hack their way through 500 miles of sweltering hot, disease carrying rain forest.

Part 3: The Hidden Temple
    This has 5 key points to it. First are the "pits", which should be counted each time they appear as an encounter. Use a Religion of Crime Cultist at force rank 2 (DCU page 35) for each one. Next are the poison dart traps. The effect is Affliction 8 (+12 to hit, resisted by Fort: cumulative, multi-attack; dazed, stunned, incapacitated). There are also collapsing ceilings. Use Damage 12 (burst area). Last are the blade traps. They're Damage 7 (+12 to hit: affects insubstantial 2, improved critical, multi-attack, penetrating). Waiting for the players after they get their hands on the Bible itself is Bane (HV1 page 38) who has been playing Intergang all along. He tipped them off about the Crime Bible in the hopes that some do gooder heroes would beat them to it and clear out the Temple. He wants it for himself and will try to kill the party if they don't hand it over. In any event, afterwards another boom tube opens. This time, Omega Beams shoot through it and in a devastating red flash the Bible is gone. The Temple begins to crumble. Bane is knocked out. The players must escape by any means necessary or be crushed (skill challenge DC20: get 6 successes before 6 failures).

Aftermath:
    If you would like this plot to continue, you've got many options. The Crime Bible has not been destroyed; it's been teleported away by the Omega Effect and is in Darkseid's possession. What does the Lord of Apokolips want with it? That's up to you. Maybe he wants to hand it over to Bruno in exchange for further loyalty. Maybe he wants to search for insight into Anti-Life in its pages. Bane may also want revenge which could lead to a Suicide Squad adventure.
    Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 05-07-2015, 09:10 AM. Reason: formatting
    Go Saints.

Comment

I don't see why we shouldn't allow Icons here. The Icons section on the RA main page is pretty small.

That being said, the "Roll Call" section is usually for character builds, not adventures. You'd probably be better off placing this under the "Settings" section, since adventures often end up describing how your own world works.

Just a suggestion.

Comment

I'm definitely looking for builds to be the main focus of the thread.

And good to know about Icons. I'll def throw in some of them then (at least until the mods stop me)
        Go Saints.

Comment

Baron,

I found this adventure very thought provoking. Hope you don’t mind, I’d like to offer some critiques and constructive criticism. This is partially for my own benefit, as I find it useful to congeal ideas in my head into text related to a specific situation like this adventure. Helps me digest how I think running D20 Hero should go.

The biggest thing I noticed about the plot of this adventure is that nothing the PC’s do matter. Victory is snatched from their hands arbitrarily in both Parts 1 and 3, and I don’t necessarily think it needs to be that way, especially for a one-shot. If this is part of a bigger story, I can see how it can be used to move pieces into place for a big finale, but as a standalone, it reeks of “filler episode.”

I also see this as very low-powered for PL 12 PC’s. Below are some specific suggestions for each part.

Part 1:

I’d add Magpie in with the goons. It allows for some banter, she’s not too tough, and it would make sense: she’s worked with Intergang before, and, well, she’s a professional thief. You could even justify the PC coming across the robbery because Magpie had to make an additional stop in the museum to steal a valuable gem as part of her payment.

Second, I’d be a bit more specific about HOW she escapes. I’d do something like “Magpie sics the goons on the PC’s while she prepares the Boom Tube. It is a Standard + Move action to Activate a Boom Tube. She does this on the 1st round. On the 2nd round she jumps through and is gone.”

That gives tension to the scene: Stop her or at least get the painting away from her before she bails. It also sets up a consistent mechanism for Boom Tubes. They take time to open, but not too much time. If you really want her to escape, just give the PC’s a Hero Point and have her take an additional standard action to jump through.

Either way, it shouldn’t matter if she escapes or not. If she does, they investigate why, if she doesn’t, they interrogate her and the goons to find out who they were working for and what they wanted. Plus, if they HAVE the painting, they can do some investigation on it or ask relevant NPC’s (Zatanna comes to mind) what’s up with it. Grist for good scenes either way.

Part 2:

I like the opposed roll against Mannheim, but I dislike the stakes you’ve set. An important question to ask is “what if the PC’s fail?”. I’ve noticed several of the checks you set up in this adventures are showstoppers if they fail, and that’s no fun. So, I recommend a change in the stakes. However they find the base, it’s an opposed Crime Expertise check to do it quietly. If the PC’s succeed, Mannheim doesn’t know they’re coming. If they fail, Mannheim is tipped off and hires some extra muscle: Captain Cold and Deadshot.

Captain Cold can be a real pain in close quarters: sealing off hallways and exerting a lot of control over the environment to keep things interesting. Plus, icing the floors can really suck.

Deadshot is on the roof of the next skyscraper over, and he’s taking potshots at anyone he can see through the windows.

The villains themselves don’t seem to be doing much besides waiting for the PC’s to show up. I’d add some objectives to the fight to keep things interesting and force the PC’s to split their priorities. Something like this:

As soon as the fight breaks out, Mannheim tells his henchmen to start prepping his private VTOL jet on the roof. It will be ready in 10 rounds. He immediately goes to his computer and makes a copy of the data he needs to find the Crime Bible. Then he deletes his computer. It takes him 2 rounds to copy, and 3 rounds to delete. Then, it takes him 1 round to get to the elevator, 2 rounds in the elevator, 1 round to get over to the jet, and then he waits a round for final prep, and takes off. PC’s, of course, might muck this up at any point. Or might be too busy with goons. They need to pay attention to more than just the fight in order to save this scene.

After that, I fail to see the point of the Skill Challenge. Why so many rolls? What tension will that bring to the story? Again, what happens if they fail? I’d break this out into the logistics of actually getting to South America. Who can they call on for transport? How can they find the base once they get there? You could also just make the Skill Challenge be Mannheim’s interrogation. I’d do it over 3 rolls, though, not 7. 7 rolls seems like filler. Remember: Say Yes or Roll the Dice.

I like giving Degrees of Success that can be spent on added benefits. Spend a DoS to find out the location and nature of the traps, the keycodes to Mannheim's private Jet on the roof, or just added criminal activity that will put Mannheim away for longer as gravy. Stuff like that.

Part 3:

First off, I’d add 1 rank of Subtle to all those traps to give the PC’s a chance to spot them. Bane should know about the traps and deliberately try to use them against the PC’s.

Second, give the PC’s a chance to save the Crime Bible. I say the Boom Tube opens up, and Omega beams come out and hit whoever is holding the bible. If they manage to stay conscious, they hold on to the Crime Bible. If not, they’re Incapacitated and the Bible is gone.

Either way, it’s open for further story. If they have it, holy crap, they have the Crime Bible… what do they DO with it? People will be gunning for them. If they don’t: who took it? Why? Someone has it now and must be stopped.

Finally, again, that last Skill Challenge is weak sauce. Instead, I’d develop a variety of rolls and narrate their escape. Acrobatics checks for sudden chasms that open up under the character’s feet. Failure by 1 means clinging on the ledge, failure by 2 means dropped into the chasm presumably lost, but in an epilogue show the PC surrounded by Elvarans, as they have inadvertently fallen into one of their massive underground cities. Falling rocks as attacks. Afflictions that Hinder and Daze from the massive shaking. Afflictions that Compel and Control, inducing a claustrophobic (fear-based) panic where on failure the PC screams and runs away, leaving anyone behind that might need help. Dust that blinds and chokes. After about 5 or such encounters (and any traps they didn’t disarm!) call it home free. This is all, of course, assuming they don’t have a speedster or a teleporter, which makes all of this moot.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with this critique. I enjoyed flexing my brain thinking about this stuff. I hope some of this feedback is useful.

Comment

Superman (Earth 53)

Bringing it back for the new thread from the old Think Tank: my "Earth 53" reboot of the DC Universe. First up... Look! up in the sky! it's a bird, it's a plane, it's...

q12Ggkc - Imgur.jpg

Superman (Earth 53) * Power Level 12

Abilities
            Strength 18, Stamina 14, Agility 2, Dexterity 1, Fighting 4, Intellect 5, Awareness 3, Presence 5

Skills
            Close Combat (unarmed) 2 (+6), Deception 4 (+9), Expertise (journalism) 5 (+10), Investigation 3 (+8), Perception 8 (+11), Technology 4 (+9)

Powers
            Faster Than a Speeding Bullet: Array (19 points)
            • Flight: Flight 9 (1,000 MPH) * 18 points
            • Speed: Quickness 9, Speed 9 (1,000 MPH) * 1 point
            Man of Steel: Immunity 10 (life support), Protection 5 (impervious 16), Regeneration 2 (requires direct yellow sunlight) * 32 points

More Powerful Than a Locomotive: Array (alternative effects of Strength), Power Lifting 2 (lifting strength 20) * 2 points
            • Freezing Breath: Cone Area Affliction 7 (resisted by fortitude: hindered, immobile, paralyzed) * 1 point
            • Leaping: Leaping 18 (120 miles) * 1 point
            Super Senses: Array (31 points)
            • Heat Vision: Blast 10 (perception) * 30 points
            • Honed Senses: Senses 10 (vision penetrates concealment, extended vision 3, extended hearing 2, ultra-hearing) * 1 point

Advantages
            Attractive, Extraordinary Effort, Interpose, Power Attack, Ultimate Effort 2 (toughness, will)

Offense: initiative +2, unarmed +6 (close, Damage 18), heat vision (perception, Damage 10)
            Defense: dodge 3 (1pt), parry 5 (1 pt), will 10 (7pts), fort 14, toughness 19

totals: abilities 104, skills 14, advantages 6, powers 95, defenses 9 = 228 pp

Complications:
            Motivation (doing good, just like his adoptive parents taught him)
            Power Loss (without yellow sunlight, Superman loses his powers. Reduce his Strength and Stamina to 2)
            Relationships (Superman is protective of the staff at the Daily Planet, especially Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen)
            Secret Identity (Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter)
            Vulnerable (magic cancels out Superman’s invulnerability)
            Weakness (kryptonite. See sidebar under the Superman entry in the HH)

THE ORIGIN: Rocketed from the dying planet Krypton, a lone baby lands in a Smallville, Kansas field. Adopted by Martha and Jonathan Kent, the infant is raised like any other child, but the Kents soon learn their adopted son Clark is anything but ordinary. Under the Earth’s yellow sun, he’s developed powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.

THE CHARACTER: 22 year old Clark Kent has just come back to Smallville after graduating from Kansas State University, saying his goodbyes to friends and family before leaving for Metropolis and a job with the Daily Planet.

SUPPORTING CAST: Lana’s still Clark’s girlfriend and one of the few people who knows about his extraordinary powers. But his long-distance relationship with Lana (who still resides in Smallville) is strained as Clark grows closer to fellow Planet reporter Lois Lane. Lois, a tenacious and clever reporter, shows little interest in the flustered Kent. And just as Clark settles in Metropolis, billionaire industrialist Lex Luthor begins his bid for the White House using his work as a platform.

THE SET UP: Clark has made contact with his birth father at the Fortress of Solitude (an experience which shakes Clark to his core). Jonathan Kent gives Clark his blessing to follow Jor-El’s wishes; that Clark use his powers to serve and protect mankind. Pa Kent tells Clark that the Kents are only a generation removed from being immigrants themselves, and that he should also make his adoptive country proud. In Metropolis, Clark dons a costume adorned with his family’s house crest (made by his mother from the swaddling cloth they found him in) and gets named “Superman” by Daily Planet editor Perry White. Clark explains his actions to the press as “a never ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way”, stealing Luthor’s press instantly and earning his ire.

THE FIRST ARC: Lex Luthor seeks to get this Superman out of the papers. He discovers the Fortress of Solitude and learns that Superman is an alien. There, he makes contact with the deadly Brainiac and lures the creature to Earth with the promise of capturing the last Kryptonian. Brainiac is fascinated with Superman and tries to bottle Metropolis along with the Man of Steel.

THE BIG PICTURE: Superman and Lex play a game of cat and mouse with Lex willing to do whatever it takes to defeat his enemy; everything from staging terrorist attacks for him to thwart to engineering the origins of some of Superman’s deadliest enemies. Clark and Lana’s relationship eventually falls through and leaves Clark single for years and feeling guilty about pursuing Lois (who is still not interested in Clark). Jonathan Kent’s health begins to fail and he eventually passes away in the midst of a planet wide crisis (for more on that, wait for the Justice League entry). Eventually Clark’s feelings of isolation lead him to want to discover more of Krypton
            Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 05-11-2019, 05:29 PM.
            Go Saints.

Comment

Wonder Woman (Earth 53)

febww16.jpg

WONDER WOMAN (Earth 53) * Power Level 12

Abilities
              Strength 8, Stamina 8, Agility 8, Dexterity 8, Fighting 12, Intellect 2, Awareness 8, Presence 8

Powers
              Bracelets of Victory: impervious toughness 8 (sustained, removable; -2) * 6pts

Lasso of Truth: Move Object 16 linked with Ranged Affliction 16 (resisted by will: vulnerable, compelled. limited degree, limited to telling the truth, easily removable; -12) * 20pts

Quick Change: Feature 1 (change into Wonder Woman as a free action) * 1pt

Speed of Hermes: Leaping 2 (30 feet), Speed 5 (60MPH) * 7pts

Equipment:
              • Amazonian Cloaked Jet: Size H, Str 12, Def 6, Tou 10, Features: Concealment 2 (visual), Flight 11 * 21 pts
              • Shield: enhanced dodge & parry 1 * 2 pts
              • Sword: Strength based Damage 2 * 2 pts

Skills
              Acrobatics 6 (+14), Athletics 6 (+14), Expertise: magic 4 (+6), Expertise: mythology 8 (+10), Insight 4 (+12), Intimidation 4 (+12), Perception 2 (+10), Persuasion 8 (+16), Ranged Combat: bow 2 (+10), Vehicles 4 (+12)

Advantages
              Animal Empathy, Attractive 2, Benefit 2 (ambassador of Themyscira, diplomatic immunity), Close attack 2, Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 5, Improved Defense, Languages 3 (Ancient Greek: native, English, three others), Leadership, Ritualist

Offense: initiative +8, sword (close +14, Damage 10), magic lasso (ranged +8, Move Object 16/Affliction 16)
              Defense: dodge 13/12 (shield, 4pts), parry 13/12 (shield), will 12 (4pts), fort 12 (4pts), 11/8 toughness (defensive roll)

totals: abilities 124, skills 24, advantages 23, powers 34, defenses 12 = 215pp

Complications:
              Power Loss (in her Diana Prince identity, Wonder Woman has no powers and the abilities of an ordinary if athletic woman. Her strength and stamina are 2, her dexterity and agility are 3, and her fighting is 5. Otherwise use the stat block for a government agent)
              Relationship (Diana would die for Superman, the only man she respects)
              Responsibility (to Themyscira)
              Secret (Diana Prince, CIA agent. Her true nature is known to the US government)

THE ORIGIN: Born on the cloaked Mediterranean island of Themyscira, Princess Diana was trained since birth as an Amazon, using evolved Greek technology in its art of warfare. Blessed by the Gods with speed, strength, wisdom, beauty, and other gifts, Diana is selected to represent and champion the Amazons when the world of man accidentally discovers them.

THE CHARACTER: Diana is the world’s best warrior and finds the “civilized” world of man to be an unjust and savage place in a way reminiscent of Robert E Howard’s Conan (and like Conan, she's not afraid to split someone in half in battle). She enters into a secret working relationship with the CIA, allowing her to operate freely all over the world. She transforms via a magical enchantment into agent Diana Prince when undercover. Blessed with Aphrodite's loving heart to go along with her beauty, Diana learns to care deeply about the people she protects and finds herself standing between them and the whims of the Gods themselves too often.

SUPPORTING CAST: Steve Trevor, the fighter pilot who crash lands on Themyscira, goes native to some extent and is allowed to live on Paradise Island as the only male and as ambassador to the Amazonians. Queen Hippolyta, Wonder Woman’s mother, finds herself critical of her daughter’s conduct and of these newfound relations with the outside world. Amanda Waller, Wonder Woman’s superior in the CIA, pulls the strings on her career as a public superhero. Speaking of pulling strings; also important are all the meddlesome Greek Gods.

THE SET UP: Air Force Pilot Steve Trevor crash lands on Paradise Island, home of the Amazons, and is nearly executed on the spot. He’s rescued by a young warrior, Diana, who turns out to be the heir to the throne. Diana pleads for and then fights for Trevor’s life. With victory his life becomes hers, and the existence of the Amazons must now become known to the world of man. Queen Hippolyta appoints Diana ambassador to the outside world, much to her daughter’s displeasure. The US government makes contact and offers the Amazons a deal; their continued secrecy in exchange for a working relationship with their greatest champion.

THE FIRST ARC: Leaving Themyscira for the first time in her life, Diana sees the world under cover as a CIA agent named Diana Prince. She soon discovers the machinations of Ares, God of War, at work in the world satiating his desires by causing genocide in a small African nation. Ares instantly recognizes the Amazon and seeks to settle his old score. As the world watches, Ares uses the guise of a mad African dictator to kill tens of thousands as a message to her. The Amazon leads the bloody rebellion against him and becomes a champion of the downtrodden all over the world. The papers start calling her "Wonder Woman" to go along with "Superman"; the two are media darlings although Diana doesn't welcome it.

THE BIG PICTURE: Wonder Woman is not content to sit idly by and wait for another crisis to strike. She travels the world lending her voice to the voiceless and her sword when she has no recourse. Though she fights for peace, she finds herself constantly at war. The Gods also begin to meddle in mortal affairs, taking on modern guises and revealing their presence upon Mount Olympus. Amanda Waller & Diana find themselves as uneasy allies against the machinations of the Gods (Especially Ares). Eventually the people Wonder Woman helps declare her their champion; she is even worshiped as a god herself in some parts of the world.
              Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 05-06-2019, 01:10 PM.
              Go Saints.

Comment

OMG, the return of the BARON! And there was much rejoicing!

Good to see you back at it, man.
                The Thorpacolypse
                Member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent since 2005
                Co-Chair of the Council of 13
                "Hate you can trust"

Comment

Baron's back!!! My sig will finally make sense to the newbies!

Comment

You had to be there I guess.

Man, I really don't like that build for Wonder Woman's lasso or bracers. As soon as I get my hands on those books I'm tweaking the eff out of that.

The re-edits begin.
                    Go Saints.

Comment

Looking through those house rules, I think I'm going to do some testing with a variation on the first one. It was Elric that had run the numbers on that +1 for every 2 over defense, I believe. That would seem to make a fight between a PL12 Iron Man and PL12 Batman better than it would with the RAW, but maybe too even.

I'm definitely going to try that 3d6. I did a few test skill checks and a 2 round Nightwing vs. Daredevil thing over lunch and I really like the consistency of being able to count on a high percentage of 10-12 on your die rolls. I can see it leading to lower attack bonuses and lower high end skill ranks. It does lessen Skill Mastery a bit, though, I think.
                      The Thorpacolypse
                      "Hate you can trust"

Comment

Originally posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
                        Critical Hits: Crits work different in my games. When your attack is ten points higher or more than the target defense, it's automatically a critical at which point your cap balance bonus can behave as a critical hit. This doesn't nerf Improved Critical either. Each point of the Improved Critical advantage/extra lowers that number by one. So if you attack with a sword, you critically hit if you beat your opponent's parry by 9. The Max is still 4 ranks. That's a critical hit if you beat your opponent's defense by only 6. Looking to test this and make sure I'm working with improved critical instead of against it.
                        So does this mean the other two options for a critical hit are unchanged, or unavailable?
                        Last edited by Kenmis; 05-08-2015, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Great to see you back, Baron! And with and obscure wrestling nickname, no less .
                          Jabroniville at Hotmail dot com
                          http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by Kenmis View Post
                            So does this mean the other two options for a critical hit are unchanged, or unavailable?
                            Let's flesh this out a bit with an example. I don't have the HH on me, so if I screw anything up outside of my houserule let me know...

Batman is going to take a shot against Killer Croc. He attacks and beats his target's parry by 12. Because he beats Croc's active defense by ten or more, Batman's hit was a critical. Instead of doing straight damage, he opts to go after Croc's fortitude with an Affliction effect. He scores a hit with a devastating kick to Croc's bread basket, causing the creature to double over and vomit uncontrollably.

The way I remember it, you can substitute extra damage for an on the fly affliction and the other option escapes me... like I said I don't have the HH on me. But yes, when you achieve a critical you can use those options.

That would seem to make a fight between a PL12 Iron Man and PL12 Batman better than it would with the RAW, but maybe too even
                            Well my question to the game designers or anybody else skeptical of my house rule, "what do power levels mean then?" because a tradeoff is an excuse to unbalance characters. What it should be is flavor to describe how your character fills his or her level out. If Iron Man is PL12 and Batman is PL12, then they should be an even fight. Otherwise you're saying trading off defense for toughness, for example, breaks the system.

Anyway it's a huge debate for some reason and I don't know why. I'd rather, instead of having said debate, just keep playing the game the way I want to.
                            Go Saints.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
                              Let's flesh this out a bit with an example. I don't have the HH on me, so if I screw anything up outside of my houserule let me know...

Batman is going to take a shot against Killer Croc. He attacks and beats his target's parry by 12. Because he beats Croc's active defense by ten or more, Batman's hit was a critical. Instead of doing straight damage, he opts to go after Croc's fortitude with an Affliction effect. He scores a hit with a devastating kick to Croc's bread basket, causing the creature to double over and vomit uncontrollably.

Well my question to the game designers or anybody else skeptical of my house rule, "what do power levels mean then?" because a tradeoff is an excuse to unbalance characters. What it should be is flavor to describe how your character fills his or her level out. If Iron Man is PL12 and Batman is PL12, then they should be an even fight. Otherwise you're saying trading off defense for toughness, for example, breaks the system.

Anyway it's a huge debate for some reason and I don't know why. I'd rather, instead of having said debate, just keep playing the game the way I want to.
                              No debate here, I like it. I just think it shifts the onus on having more variable PLs, which I think is a good thing. It's been shown that characters like Shang-Chi and Batman can hang with powerhouses, but with the RAW, I don't see DCA Batman ever beating DCA Killer Croc in a fight, which he's done many times. Even if Bats power attacked, he's imposing a DC24 toughness check which he can beat with an 8.

In thinking some more about them, I also think your Crit rule aids the shifty types as well. DCA Superman at a max +13 to hit with 3d6 means he can only get a 31 max and wouldn't be able to crit someone like Batman or Nightwing. That's also pretty thematic since even with his super speed, he really gets a clean shot on them in the books.
                              The Thorpacolypse
                              "Hate you can trust"

Comment

Working...
                              X