Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Jab's Builds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jab's Builds!

It could be nostalgia glasses, but I also remember The Blob as being relatively sympathetic in his first appearance in that the X-Men essentially made fun of him until he decided he wanted nothing to do with them whereupon Xavier tried to mindrape him into forgetting. His attempt to get revenge was ill-prepared, but justifiable.
    [url=http://roninarmy.com/threads/996]My Builds[/url]

[b]Current games:[/b]
    [url=http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=839]The J.V. Team (GM)[/URL]

Comment

First issue I ever read Blob in was the Spiderman one where he went on a rampage because Unus died.
      [HR][/HR][URL="http://roninarmy.com/threads/60-Kenseido-s-Menagerie"]Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters[/URL]

Comment

I know everybody hates Jubilee, but she was always one of my favorites.

Another character I could easily see turning into a redeemable interesting character, but it seems like everybody's happy just to toss her under the bus.

Personally I like her a lot more than Kitty but that might be because I never saw Kitty until she was already the attractive bad ass martial artist, ninja, who could phase through everything and had a pet dragon. Whom everybody seemed to love.

I suspect I'd probably feel different it I'd gotten in at the ground floor with her.

Comment

Originally posted by Crinos View Post
          I love the Blob. Favorite bad guy ever.

Also, FIE I SAY UNTO YOU! YELLOW JACKET FOR LIFE.

Also, in other news, guess who just saw Frozen?
          AND...? Great Disney Movie, or GREATEST Disney Movie?

re: Arkite: I actually don't know how hated Jubilee actually is- I've seen a few people here and elsewhere completely love the character. Of course, she all but vanished from comics COMPLETELY once Generation X was cancelled, barely even interacting with Wolverine. But she managed her own Series for a while, and was a HUGE part of 1990s comics, effectively 100% replacing Kitty in the same role- she was always hanging around the X-Men, and co-starred with Logan in his own book as well. I have to imagine there's a ton of comic book writers around my age who grew up with her and probably loved her... which is weird, because she got so totally ignored later on. I mean, the whole Vampire thing just screams of being the weirdest idea ever, and meant to write her out of the books permanently.
          Jabroniville at Hotmail dot com
          [url]http://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/index.php[/url]

Comment

• Shatterstar

Man, I just had the most overwhelming desire to listen to some House Of Pain or Nirvana right about now.

SHATTERSTAR (Gaveedra-Seven)
            Created By:
            Fabian Nicieza & Rob Liefeld
            First Appearance: New Mutants #99 (March 1991)
            Role: Sword Guy, The Fish Out of Water
            Group Affiliations: X-Force, Tolliver's Organization, X-Factor Investigations
            PL 10 (150)
            STRENGTH
            6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 6
            FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
            INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
            Acrobatics 8 (+14)
            Athletics 6 (+12)
            Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+13)
            Expertise (Cadre Alliance Warrior) 8 (+9)
            Intimidation 7 (+7)
            Perception 8 (+9)
            Stealth 2 (+8)
            Technology 6 (+7)
            Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
            Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Attractive, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical (Swords) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Languages (Spanish, Others), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
            "Mutant Powers: Weak-Ass Blast"
            Blast 8 (Feats: Indirect 4- Any Point or Direction) (Flaws: Distracting, Tiring, Source- Metal) [6]

"Hollow Bones"
            Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
            Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

"Healing Capabilities"
            Regeneration 4 [4]
            Features 1: May Shift Internal Organs Within His Body [1]

"FRICKIN' SWEET DOUBLE-BLADED SWORDS AAARRRGGHH!!!" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
            Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split, Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (10)

Offense:
            Unarmed +13 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
            Swords +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
            Initiative +10

Defenses:
            Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +6 (+7 D.Roll), Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
            Relationship (Rictor)- Shatty has a thing for his X-Force & X-Factor teammate, and the feeling is mutual. And oh so hot.
            Responsibility (Cadre Alliance)- Shatterstar is a freedom fighter, opposing the rule of Mojo V of the Spineless Ones, in the far future of the Mojoverse.
            Responsibility (Outsider)- Shatterstar does not understand a great deal about Earth culture, having been trained his whole life as a gladiator. For years, he did not even understand the concepts of love or lust.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 15 (150)

-OH MY GOD YOU GUYS SHATTERSTAR IS SO FRICKIN' AWESOME AND NINETIES AAAAAAAARRRRGGHHHHH!!!! HE'S SO F-ING BAD-ASS HE'S GOT SWORDS ***WITH SWORDS ON THEM***!!!!! HE DUAL-WIELDS THOSE KILLER BLADES WHILE HACKING UP THE BAD GUYS LIKE A FREAKIN' PSYCHOPATH I LOVE IT!!! HE'S GOT BAD-ASS LONG HAIR AND PONYTAILS ALL OVER THE FRICKIN' PLACE!! HE'S A KILLER T.V. WARRIOR FROM THE FRICKIN' MOJOVERSE AND KILLED DOZENS OF GUYS ALL BY HIMSELF! I HAVE THIS COMIC WHERE HE TOTALLY TEAMS UP WITH WOLVERINE AND THEY BEAT THE HELL OUT OF SOME VID-KIDS!! THEN HE WENT AND FRICKIN' KILLED MASQUE, AND WHEN HE FOUGHT THE M.L.F., HE FREAKIN' CHOPPED OFF REAPER'S HAND!! AND THEN HE DID IT AGAIN! HE'S SO BAD-ASS I'M HAVING A FREAKING OVERDOSE YOU GUYYYYSSSS AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

-*ahem* Now that that's out of the way, some explanation. Shatterstar is from a future version of the Mojoverse (and possibly -make that canonically- Longshot's son), rejecting his rulers (who forced him to fight in arena combat) and trying to join the current timeline's X-Men. He found X-Force instead, and generally became an icon of Rob Liefeld's, with hyper-'90s double-swords (ie. two blades on one hilt, as if that makes any real sense), hastily-added Mutant Power (a near-uselessly tiring Generic Energy Blast), and a thing over his eye like all Liefeld characters have. And of course they basically almost never actually bothered to help Shatterstar with his Mojoverse problem, since that was just an excuse to get him on the team.

-He did the "Honorable Warrior" thing for a long time, and also the "I'm a alien who doesn't get Earth customs" thing, which made him a bit more entertaining once Liefeld left and Fabian Nicieza took full writing duties, altering the character a bit. Unfortunately, he got kind of silly as the book went on (where he got merged with some random mutant guy in a coma), and never made it out of the '90s with a featured book. Liefeld did a few more things with him, but nothing big (a Limited Series was all), and he went onto the pages of X-Factor, where Peter David continued an aspect started by Jeph Loeb- the idea that Shatterstar was sexually attracted to his teammate Rictor. The two began making out the second David got a hold of him, pissing LIEFELD off, as some creators don't like it when their beloved creations completely evolve without them. So Shatterstar had a hot start (even got "the rub" from Wolverine by appearing in his book), but eventually petered out to nothing, where he exists as kind of a joke about the 1990s in comics. But still, DOUBLE-BLADED SWORDS ARRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!

-His costume is ultra-weird, too. First off, Liefeld gave him a big puffy shirt and a weird brown headgear thing that sorta looks like what Amateur Boxers wear. Plus all the ponytails (Liefeld LOVED to draw little whispers of hair flying all over the place, even while people were standing still). The two-bladed swords are self-explanatory (ie. it was the '90s). Later, when Greg Capullo took over the art chores, the entire team got a re-design using the absolute very BEST of mid-'90s fashion (Boomer's neon pink & yellow outfit is a stand-out; Sunspot wore a super-colourful unitard; Warpath lost the giant shoulder pads and became rather bare-chested, along with Cannonball...) post-X-Cutioner's Song, resulting in Shatty getting a new outfit with metallic shoulder pads and headgear instead of the old "puffy" style that looked more like training gear. But oddly, the colourist couldn't quite decide on the exact colour scheme, and so we had a weird bit where he first appeared with brown accents (including the helmet, like the old style), then suddenly they were orange, and finally they settled on RED for all of it! I can't recall the last time colour-switches were so frequent, but the series did it again when the second incarnation of Weapon: P.R.I.M.E. showed up, with all the members completely changing colours IN THE SAME SCENE over two issues!

-Shatterstar stats up as an effective, mildly super-strong Melee Fighter with cool swords. I went with Devices rather than Equipment, because they're HIS swords, and are shown to be ultra-sharp and able to cut through nearly anything. His Mutant Power is an afterthought- a Blast so limited that he can barely utilize it (I've read a total of three apperances of the attack- his debut, a New Warriors cross-over, and once where he surprised Reaper & Wildside by blasting it out through his sword while Wildside was holding it)- it's Distracting, Tiring AND requires metal or his swords to use (in X-Factor, he was able to use them to Teleport, albeit with hours of preparation). Otherwise, Shatterstar is very strong, very tough, and a hardcore fighter with tons of Combat-based Advantages to his name. He's extremely capable, able to shift most of his Caps around to make the already-tough +8 damage bonus of his Swords go any which way. Shatterstar is enough to challenge guys like Wolverine & Sabretooth for several rounds before they take him out (this happened twice- Wolvie handily defeated him both times), though oddly even though Liefeld seemed to LOVE him the guy got one-shot-KO'd by Deadpool in Wade Wilson's debut.
            Last edited by Jabroniville; 27th May 2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Re: Shatterstar

Shameful confession time! Shatterstar once was, for as brief a time as it may have been, among my favorite characters
              My Deviantart page

Comment

Its definitely one of the best.

It primarily gets points because the comic relief character was actually adorable and endearing. Seriously, I would give Olaf a hug if I wasn't convinced it would cause him to melt.

The songs are... okay. Really Let it Go is the best song. Everything else besides that is okay. But that might just be because Let it Go makes them all look worse by comparison (Also: Let it go? Currently sitting on number 13 of Billboard's top 100, after 25 weeks on the chart. And last week it was at 9. ITS THAT GOOD).

Also, I have to say if I wasn't spoiled by the fact that that guy was that kind of guy, I would have never seen it coming. You know the one.
                [URL="http://crinos.dreamwidth.org/"]Urge to Stat Rising[/URL]: My blog where I post write ups for monsters for the Pathfinder system.

Comment

Also, IIRC didn't Liefeld lose his cheese when he found out they made Shatterstar Gay?
                  [URL="http://crinos.dreamwidth.org/"]Urge to Stat Rising[/URL]: My blog where I post write ups for monsters for the Pathfinder system.

Comment

I always thought that Shatterstar could use another blade on his sword. Maybe two more. What would be cooler than a four-bladed sword? And each one like the size of a surfboard. With pouches!!

Comment

That's nothin'- I thought Vega was awesome in Street Fighter II, so I made a version of him with a FIVE-Pronged Blade!

Here's a bit on Liefeld's response to Shatterstar getting it on with Rictor: http://comicsalliance.com/rob-liefel...him-a-not-gay/

It's kind of funny that Liefeld was only a part of a dozen or so stories featuring Shatterstar before quitting Marvel, and has no concept of characters evolving over time from their original conception. I mean, his total link to the character is BARELY A YEAR, and the guy went gay for Rictor in what, 2010? Almost TWENTY YEARS LATER. It's ludicrous to assume that the original creator could have that much input to demand that someone always be the way in which they originally envisioned them.

I know it gets on some creators- Chris Claremont is notoriously proprietary to the X-Men (for good reason), and was saddened to see some of them change so much since he'd left, but it's the nature of the game. Otherwise Superman would still only be jumping over tall buildings, and every Golden Age hero would be mowing down bad guys with firearms.

Comment

• Shard

How do all these superheroines manage to have both their boobs AND their butt be visible at all times?

SHARD (Shard Bishop)
                        Created By:
                        Scott Lobdell & John Romita Jr.
                        First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men Annual #17 (Dec. 1993)
                        Group Affiliations: Xavier's Security Enforcers, X-Factor
                        Role: Introduced Sibling, Forgotten Character
                        PL 9 (156)
                        STRENGTH
                        1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
                        FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
                        INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
                        Acrobatics 4 (+7)
                        Athletics 4 (+5)
                        Deception 3 (+4)
                        Expertise (Computers) 7 (+8)
                        Expertise (XSE Soldier) 5 (+6)
                        Expertise (History) 4 (+5)
                        Investigation 5 (+6)
                        Perception 4 (+4)
                        Stealth 4 (+7)
                        Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
                        Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
                        "Living Hologram Construct"
                        Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
                        Protection 4 [4]

Laser Blast 9 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split 2) [22]
                        Insubstantial 4 (Feats: Precise) [21]

Offense:
                        Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
                        Laser Blast +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
                        Initiative +7

Defenses:
                        Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
                        Relationship (Brother, Bishop)
                        Relationship (Wild Child)- Shard hooked up with her teammate while on X-Factor.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 77 / Defenses: 13 (156)

-Shard's another suck-pile of a character (MORE LIKE SHART, AM I RIGHT?), a totally unnecessary add-on character, brought in as one of those "hey I suddenly have this never-before-mentioned relative with super-powers, didn't ya know?" types of deals. She's Bishop's sister, who of course also got sent from the future to do stuff, and ended up as a D-League member of the D-League team, X-Factor. She did a bunch of nothing, then died in Bishop's own series. That's likely the last we'll ever see of her.

-Shard's a little funny because of her origin (she's a living hologram after she died and got brought back to "life" by Forge), basically being a Construct who can go intangible, in addition to firing laser beams.

Comment

• Rictor

RICTOR (Julio Esteban Richter)
                          Created By:
                          Louise & Walt Simonson
                          First Appearance: X-Factor #17 (June 1987)
                          Role: The Punker, The Bad-Boy, The Snarker
                          Group Affiliations: The X-Terminators, The New Mutants, X-Force, The Purifiers, Weapon: P.R.I.M.E., X-Corporation, X-Factor Investigations
                          PL 10 (151)
                          STRENGTH
                          3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
                          FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
                          INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
                          Acrobatics 3 (+7)
                          Athletics 3 (+6)
                          Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
                          Deception 3 (+6, +8 Attractive)
                          Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
                          Expertise (Computers) 8 (+9)
                          Insight 5 (+6)
                          Intimidation 4 (+7)
                          Investigation 7 (+8)
                          Perception 6 (+7)
                          Persuasion 2 (+3, +5 Attractive)
                          Sleight of Hand 1 (+6)
                          Stealth 3 (+7)
                          Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
                          All-Out Attack, Attractive, Equipment (X-Uniform), Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
                          "Mutant Powers: Vibration Control"
                          "Earthquake" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) (37) -- [40]
                          • AE: "Vibe Blasts" Blast 9 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Penetrating) (28)
                            AE: "Vibratory Wave" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (27)
                            AE: "Inner Vibrations" Weaken Toughness 8 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Ranged, Penetrating) (25)

Equipment:
                          X-Men Uniform (+1 Protection, Communications)

Offense:
                          Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
                          Earthquake +9-10 Area (+9 Ranged Damage & +10 Ranged Affliction, DC 24 & 20)
                          Vibe Blasts +10 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
                          Vibe Wave +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
                          Inner Vibrations +10 (+8 Ranged Weaken, DC 18)
                          Initiative +4

Defenses:
                          Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+4 Uniform), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
                          Prejudice (Mutant)
                          Prejudice (Bisexual)- Rictor has expressed sexual interest in a great deal of women, but has also willingly made kisses with Shatterstar.
                          Relationship (Wolfsbane)- Rictor was the Bad Boy to Rahne's Good Girl for the latter part of the New Mutants, and kept his crush on her going for years afterwards. They've recently had sex, but are arguing frequently.
                          Relationship (Shatterstar)- Initially a Buddy/Buddy thing with some vague homoeroticism, that has gotten a whole lot less vague lately.
                          Reputation (Criminal)- Rictor's family is basically a gigantic bunch of gun-runners in Mexico- it has led to the death of his father (at Stryfe's hands), and the injuries of many others. He is shamed by this fact, and it's the reason that he has left his family many times.
                          Obsession (Mutant Powers)- Rictor did not take his power loss well following M-Day, and attempted suicide over it. His lack of connection with the Earth haunted him for a long time.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 16 (151)

-Rictor started out as one of the teen students of X-Factor in that book's second year, which I always thought was a dumb idea. I mean, that was ALREADY the point of The New Mutants, plus there was Power Pack. So they added MORE kids? Bizarre. Ric & Boom-Boom were classic '80s-style teenagers, but in that crappy sense, dressing in the stereotypica "Teen Fashion" of the time. Little thought-out beyond being a Bad Boy and a Snotty Mall Brat, they were just kind of weak overall. When they got added to the Mutants themselves in that book's painful slide, it was an obvious Jump the Shark moment- neither were that great, ESPECIALLY compared to who they were replacing (Dani, Magik, Cypher), and they had none of the depth of the original crew.

-Ric left the squad very late in the run, deciding to chase after Rahne (whom he'd grown attached to, and she was in Genosha), but he never found her- he was added to "Weapon: P.R.I.M.E.", a hit squad comprised of some X-Force adversaries, and sent after Cable (who he realized had murdered his father when he was a boy- which you'd think would have come up earlier, when Cable was LEADING HIM, but apparently it just came to him). With Cable thought dead in the X-Cutioner's Song, Ric stuck around anyways, and we had some odd moments where team leader Cannonball treated him like a long-lost best pal and fallback guy, despite the two only hanging out for fifteen-to-twenty issues at-most in the New Mutants series.

-Ric at this point was a generic Blaster, doing a lot of "hang back and shake up the guy's armour", and not much else. He was a classic Latin Charmer (now that Sunspot was more angsty and angry), ultra-smooth and with a brutally-90s outfit, though he did have a cute buddy cop thing going with the needy Shatterstar, who always wanted to hang out with him. This relationship was quite heavily homoerotic, which didn't get much more than a few jokey mentions until Peter David just straight-up had them kiss, which was funny. If only because if you listened real close, you could hear Shatty-buns' creator Rob Liefeld howl in agony in the distance.

-This Rictor build showcases him once he added some Detective Skills to his repetoire post M-Day, without his powers. Initially suicidal, he's apparently gotten used to it, and was eventually a valued member of the team. He was a PL 6-7 Regular Guy, exchewing Super-Combat but focusing on his Bad-Ass Normal properties. He was nowhere near the Captain America/Batman Class, or even the Nightwing/Daredevil Class, or the Robin Class- he's just a pretty strong, pretty tough, above-points-cost PL 7 dude. Once he got his powers back, he'd end up a much more well-rounded character. Initially an "Earthquake" guy, Rictor had by the '90s turned into as generic a Blaster as it got, though often teaming up with Siryn (ANOTHER Blaster) to weaken the Force Fields or Armour of high-toughness villains.

---

RICTOR (Julio Esteban Richter)- X-Force Era
                          Created By:
                          Louise & Walt Simonson
                          Role: The Punker, The Bad-Boy, The Snarker
                          Group Affiliations: The X-Terminators, The New Mutants, X-Force, Weapon: P.R.I.M.E.
                          PL 10 (138)
                          STRENGTH
                          3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
                          FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
                          INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
                          Acrobatics 3 (+7)
                          Athletics 3 (+6)
                          Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
                          Deception 1 (+4, +6 Attractive)
                          Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
                          Insight 2 (+3)
                          Intimidation 4 (+7)
                          Investigation 2 (+3)
                          Perception 6 (+7)
                          Persuasion 2 (+3, +5 Attractive)
                          Sleight of Hand 1 (+6)
                          Stealth 1 (+5)
                          Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
                          All-Out Attack, Equipment (X-Uniform), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blast), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
                          "Earthquake" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) (37) -- [40]
                          • AE: "Vibe Blasts" Blast 9 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Penetrating) (28)
                            AE: "Vibratory Wave" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (27)
                            AE: "Inner Vibrations" Weaken Toughness 8 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Ranged, Penetrating) (25)

Equipment:

Offense:
                          Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
                          Earthquake +9/+10 Area (+9 Ranged Damage & +10 Affliction, DC 24 & 20)
                          Vibe Blast +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
                          Vibratory Wave +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 20)
                          Inner Vibrations +10 (+10 Weaken, DC 20)
                          Initiative +4

Defenses:
                          Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+4 Costume), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
                          Prejudice (Mutant)
                          Relationship (Wolfsbane)- Rictor was the Bad Boy to Rahne's Good Girl for the latter part of the New Mutants, and kept his crush on her going for years afterwards.
                          Relationship (Shatterstar)- Initially a Buddy/Buddy thing with some vague homoeroticism.
                          Reputation (Criminal)- Rictor's family is basically a gigantic bunch of gun-runners in Mexico- it has led to the death of his father (at Stryfe's hands), and the injuries of many others. He is shamed by this fact, and it's the reason that he has left his family many times.
                          Accident (Mutant Powers)- Rictor's powers have caused accidents in the past, and he is terrified of using them in Earthquake-prone areas.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 16 (138)

-Rictor's a bit more interesting as a combatant with his mutant powers intact- in fact, he's a PL 9 Blaster through and through, complete with the lowered Defensive PL and a bit weaker Melee Skill. His Blasts are either generic or Line Area, or can convert into a +9 Weaken Toughness effect at range (used VERY often during the Nicieza X-Force era), or an Earthquake effect (basically a Ranged version of the Groundstrike Power) with a +9 Damage quotient added to a +10 Trip. This last bit is what makes him a PL 10, otherwise, he's a PL 9 who's 11 points over-cost: Good but not great. But the guy was at-best a back fighter in X-Force anyways- always shooting away or assisting the others, and rarely ending fights. His Earthquake Effect is kind of hard to pull off in a team scenario too, making him limited.

---

RICTOR (Julio Esteban Richter)- New Mutants Era
                          Created By:
                          Louise & Walt Simonson
                          Role: The Punker, The Bad-Boy
                          Group Affiliations: The X-Terminators, The New Mutants
                          PL 8 (106)
                          STRENGTH
                          2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
                          FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
                          INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
                          Acrobatics 2 (+5)
                          Athletics 2 (+4)
                          Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
                          Deception 2 (+4)
                          Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+6)
                          Intimidation 5 (+6)
                          Perception 3 (+3)
                          Persuasion 3 (+5)
                          Sleight of Hand 1 (+4)
                          Stealth 3 (+6)
                          Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
                          All-Out Attack, Equipment (X-Uniform), Improved Critical (Blast), Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 5, Startle

Powers:
                          "Earthquake" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Affliction 8 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) (29) -- [31]
                          • AE: "Vibe Blasts" Blast 8 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Penetrating) (25)
                            AE: "Inner Vibrations" Weaken Toughness 7 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Ranged, Penetrating) (21)

Equipment:

Offense:
                          Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
                          Earthquake +7/+8 Area (+7 Ranged Damage & +8 Affliction, DC 22 & 18)
                          Vibe Blast +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
                          Inner Vibrations +8 (+8 Weaken, DC 17)
                          Initiative +3

Defenses:
                          Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+4 Costume), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
                          Prejudice (Mutant)
                          Relationship (Wolfsbane)- Rictor was the Bad Boy to Rahne's Good Girl for the latter part of the New Mutants, and kept his crush on her going for years afterwards.
                          Accident (Mutant Powers)- Rictor's powers have caused accidents in the past, and he is terrified of using them in Earthquake-prone areas.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 12 (106)

-Here's a lower-level Rictor circa the New Mutants' run, when they were half-capable PL 8s. I just took his power-set above and dropped everything by a bit.

Comment

• Magma

MAGMA (Amara Juliana Olivians Aquilla)
                            Created By:
                            Chris Claremont & Bob McLeod
                            First Appearance: The New Mutants #8 (Oct. 1983)
                            Role: The Princess, The Hot One, The Written-Out One, Blaster
                            Group Affiliations: The New Mutants, The Hellions, X-Corporation
                            PL 10 (155)
                            STRENGTH
                            2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
                            FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
                            INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
                            Acrobatics 3 (+6)
                            Athletics 2 (+4)
                            Close Combat (Sword) 2 (+8)
                            Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+9)
                            Deception 2 (+4, +6 Attractive)
                            Expertise (Politics) 2 (+4)
                            Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
                            Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
                            Insight 2 (+4)
                            Intimidation 4 (+6)
                            Perception 3 (+5)
                            Persuasion 2 (+4, +6 Attractive)
                            Ranged Combat (Magma) 3 (+9)

Advantages:
                            Attractive, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Magma Blast), Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Powers:
                            "Mutant Powers: Geothermal Form & Geokinesis"
                            "Geothermal Form" (Move Action) [-1]
                            Magma/Flame Aura 5 [20]
                            "Magma Skin" Protection 3 [3]
                            "Surviving Lava" Immunity 7 (Suffocation, Heat, Heat/Fire Damage) [7]

"Magma Orbs" Blast 10 (Extras: Penetrating) (30) -- [39]
                            • AE: "Magma Burst" Blast 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (30)
                              AE: "Magma Stream" Blast 9 (Feats: Indirect) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (28)
                              AE: "Boost Aura" Magma/Flame Aura 5 (20)
                              AE: "Earthquake" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Blast 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets & Objects) (30)
                              AE: "Move The Earth" Move Object 10 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Earth/Rock) (20)
                              AE: "Extreme Heat" Environment 3 (Heat 2) (6)
                              AE: "Permeate Earth" Movement 3 (Permeate) (Flaws: Limited to Earth) (3)
                              AE: "Emit Light" Environment 5 (Light) (5)
                              AE: "Tectonic Shifting" Environment 3 (Impede Movement 2) (6)

Offense:
                            Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
                            Magma Orb +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
                            Magma Burst & Stream +10 Area (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
                            Aura +9 (+5-10 Damage, DC 20-25)
                            Earthquake +10 Area (+10 Affliction & +10 Ranged Damage, DC 20 & 25)
                            Initiative +3

Defenses:
                            Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +2 (+5 Magma Skin), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
                            Prejudice (Mutant)
                            Accident- Magma's powers have frequently gone out of control, and she strives to master them. When angered or agitated, her powers are liable to shake the very earth beneat her, causing devastating earthquakes.
                            Enemy (Selene)- The evil mutant sorceress Selene carries a grudge against Amara, who ruined her schemes in her first public appearance, and she has attempted revenge on Amara several times.
                            Relationship (Empath)- Amara loved Empath despite herself (without his control, even), and still carries a bit of a torch for him.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 68 / Defenses: 16 (155)

-Magma's interesting in that she got a huge push in the New Mutants' first big "out of mansion" trip (in a LONG series of them) when they found her in a long-lost group of Roman expatriates living in the jungles of Brazil. She was a big factor at first, but then slowly disappeared to the background of the book in favor of the other characters. Largely this is thanks to major focus coming in on Magik & Warlock, then Cypher, and Kitty's eventual major place in the book, to the point where poor Amara got shoved aside much like Karma did. I mean, after a point she had almost NOTHING to do (there was a brief bit where Cannonball was crushing on her HARD, but she shot him down pretty succinctly when he tried to shorten her name to 'Mara, and she said "that's a nickname given to lovers"). This eventually led to her leaving the team and joining the Hellions on friendly terms, hooking up with Empath, who finally started showing a somewhat better side (given how monstrous he was before that, I found it hard to believe). Before that, she was basically a combination of "Runaway Power" and "Girl Who Sam Likes"- nothing too unique, but as the most powerful New Mutant aside from Warlock, she certainly had her place.

-The Nova Roma concept was pretty cool, though once again represents the "great white hype" nature of comics, where even in freaking SOUTH AMERICA, the coolest culture around is a bunch of white people from Europe. This is in spite of one of the most asinine random decisions in comics history (and that's saying something), where out of nowhere it was revealed that Selene made up the whole Nova Roma thing, and all its denizens were actually British people brainwashed by her & Empath's power. This was, of course, retarded on so many levels that they casually hand-waved it off years later, but MAN was that dumb. It wasn't even revealed in an important story! They just wiped it's history from comics for NO REASON.

-This of course shows further the way that writers in general forgot about or disrespected the Amara character. Hell, even to this day, you'll see her pop up now and then (the crucifixion on the Mansion lawn), but even in books that were MADE for appearances of her (X-Force, New Mutants/X-Men second run), she'll only be there for about two or three issues, before disappearing again. Her biggest role in DECADES came in the New Mutants update a few years back, but she still hasn't done too much- she just lacks the characterization of the other members of the team. Hell, her big running storyline was that she was going on dates with MEPHISTO, a LORD OF HELL. Wellll... she HAS dated Empath, so it's not like dating the goddamned devil is out of character for her. Christ, this is actually a step towards respectability for her, if you think about it.

-It's altogether kind of a shame- as Horsenhero has noted, Lava-based characters are EXTREMELY rare in comics- she's one of the most unique and original characters out there, even ASIDE from her origin as a Roman/Brasilian girl, and yet she never really gets anything interesting to do.

-For Powers, Magma has a rather costly array of Energy Aura, Immunity, Blasts, Environment (three kinds- Light, Impede & Heat), Earth Control, and a big Earthquake power that functions as Trip Affliction/Damage Objects effect. Her Blasts are rather varied, including Lines, Bursts & Penetrating, which results in a rather versatile classic Blaster/Energy Controller-type. So she's a good fighter, and handy in a brawl as one of the team's only Blasters (in modern or current cases), but most of her best showings have involuntary stuff going on, like huge Earthquakes or volcanic eruptions, working more as Complications than real Powers she uses often.

---

MAGMA (Amara Juliana Olivians Aquilla)- Late New Mutants Era
                            Created By:
                            Role: The Princess, The Hot One, The Written-Out One, Blaster
                            Group Affiliations: The New Mutants, The Hellions
                            PL 8 (128)
                            STRENGTH
                            0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
                            FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
                            INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
                            Acrobatics 3 (+6)
                            Athletics 3 (+3)
                            Close Combat (Swords) 2 (+8)
                            Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
                            Deception 2 (+4)
                            Expertise (Politics) 2 (+4)
                            Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
                            Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
                            Intimidation 3 (+5)
                            Perception 3 (+5)
                            Persuasion 2 (+4)
                            Ranged Combat (Magma) 3 (+7)

Advantages:
                            Attractive, Power Attack, Ranged Attack, Teamwork

Powers:
                            Magma/Flame Aura 4 [16]
                            "Magma Skin" Protection 1 [1]

"Magma Orbs" Blast 9 (Extras: Penetrating) (27) -- [36]
                            • AE: "Magma Burst" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (27)
                              AE: "Magma Stream" Blast 8 (Feats: Indirect) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (25)
                              AE: "Boost Aura" Magma/Flame Aura 3 (12)
                              AE: "Earthquake" Affliction 8 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets & Objects) (26)
                              AE: "Move The Earth" Move Object 7 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Earth/Rock) (14)
                              AE: "Permeate Earth" Movement 3 (Permeate) (Flaws: Limited to Earth) (3)

Offense:
                            Unarmed +7 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
                            Magma Orb +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
                            Magma Burst & Stream +9 Area (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
                            Aura +7 (+4-7 Damage, DC 19-22)
                            Earthquake +8 Area (+8 Affliction & +8 Ranged Damage, DC 18 & 23)
                            Initiative +3

Defenses:
                            Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+3 Magma Skin), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
                            Prejudice (Mutant)
                            Accident- Magma's powers have frequently gone out of control, and she strives to master them. When angered or agitated, her powers are liable to shake the very earth beneat her, causing devastating earthquakes.
                            Enemy (Selene)- The evil mutant sorceress Selene carries a grudge against Amara, who ruined her schemes in her first public appearance, and she has attempted revenge on Amara several times.
                            Relationship (Empath)- Amara loves Empath despite herself (without his control, even), and still carries a bit of a torch for him.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 59 / Defenses: 11 (128)

-Magma circa the end of her New Mutants run is rather pricey, but much lower-powered, lacking accuracy, but maintaining a great deal of power with a +2 trade-off leaning towards hitting power.

---

MAGMA (Amara Juliana Olivians Aquilla)- Debut
                            Created By:
                            Role: The Princess, The Pretty One, The Blaster
                            Group Affiliations: The New Mutants
                            PL 7 (82)
                            STRENGTH
                            -1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
                            FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 1
                            INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
                            Acrobatics 3 (+5)
                            Athletics 3 (+3)
                            Close Combat (Swords) 2 (+7)
                            Deception 2 (+4)
                            Expertise (Politics) 2 (+2)
                            Expertise (History) 3 (+3)
                            Expertise (Survival) 3 (+3)
                            Intimidation 2 (+3)
                            Perception 3 (+3)
                            Persuasion 2 (+3)
                            Ranged Combat (Magma) 3 (+4)

Advantages:
                            Power Attack

Powers:
                            Magma/Flame Aura 4 [16]

"Earthquake" Affliction 7 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets & Objects) (21) -- [28]
                            • AE" "Magma Orbs" Blast 7 (14)
                              AE: "Magma Stream" Blast 6 (Feats: Indirect) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (19)
                              AE: "Move The Earth" Move Object 5 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Earth/Rock) (14)
                              AE: "Permeate Earth" Movement 2 (Permeate) (Flaws: Limited to Earth) (2)

Offense:
                            Unarmed +7 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
                            Magma Orb +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
                            Magma Burst & Stream +9 Area (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
                            Aura +7 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
                            Earthquake +7 Area (+7 Affliction & +7 Ranged Damage, DC 17 & 22)
                            Initiative +3

Defenses:
                            Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
                            Prejudice (Mutant)

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 10 (82)

-Magma during her debut is still reasonably Skilled, and has all but her Boost Aura for her APs (a rare case of a vastly Arrayed rookie New Mutant), but lacky physicality completely, and is PL 7 only with her wide-range Affliction Earthquake.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
                              That's nothin'- I thought Vega was awesome in Street Fighter II, so I made a version of him with a FIVE-Pronged Blade!

Here's a bit on Liefeld's response to Shatterstar getting it on with Rictor: http://comicsalliance.com/rob-liefel...him-a-not-gay/

Yeah, real classy there Rob.

Also, there were Gay Spartans for the record.

Comment

Originally posted by Crinos View Post
                                Yeah, real classy there Rob.

Also, there were Gay Spartans for the record.
                                "we do not love boys, we **** MEN."

Comment

Working...
                                X