Shadowchaser's Campaign Noodlings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadowchaser's Campaign Noodlings

So, it's been a while since I posted anything here. I figured it was time to change that. I'm going to use this first post as a "Table of Contents" and future posts will include either actual character builds or short essays covering my thoughts on some of the campaigns I'm running at home.

First up, some builds I'm working on as player archetypes for a Mass Effect campaign I'm running. There will be revisions to these as I suss out all the details of how different powers work.

Mass Effect: Divergence
    Quarian Infiltrator
    Last edited by Shadowchaser; 02-15-2015, 08:06 AM.
    http://www.vigilancepress.com/
    Rogues, Rivals & Renegades for Mutants and Masterminds 3E
    Rogues, Rivals & Renegades Collection One in Print and PDF
    Vigilance Press at Drive Thru RPG

Quarian Infiltrator

Quarian Infiltrator - PL 8

Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 3, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 7, Awareness 6, Presence 2

Advantages
    All-out Attack, Equipment 12, Improved Critical 4: Blast: Damage 8, Improvised Tools, Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Speed of Thought

Skills
    Athletics 4 (+4), Perception 2 (+8), Ranged Combat: Blast: Damage 8 6 (+8), Sleight of Hand 1 (+3), Stealth 6 (+9), Technology 3 (+10), Treatment 2 (+9), Vehicles 2 (+4)

Powers
    Armor: Protection 4+4 ([Stacking ranks: +4], +8 Toughness; Impervious)
    Commlink
    . . Feature: Feature 1
    Environment Suit
    . . Immunity: Immunity 7 (Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: Heat, Environmental Condition: Pressure, Environmental Condition: Radiation, Environmental Condition: Vacuum, Suffocation (All))
    Shields: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness; Impervious [2 extra ranks], Stacks with: Armor: Protection 4+4)
    Blast: Damage 4 (DC 19; Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack)
    Blast: Damage 8 (DC 23, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Increased Range: ranged; Distracting)
    Technology Powers
    . . AI/Tech Hacking: Cumulative Affliction 8 (3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 18; Affects Objects Only, Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception; Limited: Technology, Limited Degree (third only))
    . . Area Overload
    . . . . Area Overload: Affliction 8 (Linked; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, DC 18; Affects Objects Only, Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Increased Range: ranged)
    . . . . System Shock: Burst Area Damage 4 (Linked; DC 19; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 14, Increased Range: ranged)
    . . Tactical Cloak: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses)

Equipment
    Blaster Pistol, Combat Suit [Armor: Protection 4+4, [Stacking ranks: +4], +8 Toughness; Impervious; Commlink; Environment Suit; Shields: Protection 4, +4 Toughness; Impervious [2 extra ranks], Stacks with: Armor: Protection 4+4], Light SMG [Blast: Damage 4, DC 19; Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack], Sniper Rifle [Blast: Damage 8, DC 23, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Increased Range: ranged; Distracting]

Offense
    Initiative +7
    AI/Tech Hacking: Cumulative Affliction 8 (DC Fort 18)
    Area Overload: Affliction 8, +2 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 18)
    Blast: Damage 4, +2 (DC 19)
    Blast: Damage 8, +8 (DC 23)
    Blaster Pistol, +2 (DC 20)
    Grab, +2 (DC Spec 10)
    System Shock: Burst Area Damage 4 (DC 19)
    Throw, +2 (DC 15)
    Unarmed, +2 (DC 15)

Complications
    Dextro-Protein Chirality: Like turians, the quarians are a dextro-protein species of reverse chirality from humans and asari. The food of levo-protein races such as humans or asari is at best inedible and at worst poisonous, most likely triggering a dangerous allergic reaction. Quarians who want to taste something (other than the refined edible paste issued to all who leave on their Pilgrimage) can eat specially purified turian cuisine, though the typical quarian diet is vegan, as livestock were found to possess an inefficient resource-to-calorie ratio when stored on the Migrant Fleet.
    Thieving quarians: There is a great deal of prejudice against Quarians. They have a reputation as drifters and outsiders, which tends to cause other species to mistrust them or see them as thieves or parasites on their own societies.
    Weak Immune Systems: Quarian immune systems have always been relatively weak, as pathogenic microbes were comparatively rare in their homeworld's biosphere. Furthermore, what few viruses and other microbes were native to their homeworld were often at least partly beneficial to them, giving them a symbiotic relationship with their environment. After living aboard the Migrant Fleet for generations, the quarians' immune systems have atrophied further still due to the years in the sterile environment of the Migrant Fleet. As such, quarians are given various vaccinations and immunizations to help ward off disease. However, they prefer the safety of their suits even in clean environments and are reluctant to remove them without a good reason.

Languages
    Native Language

Defense
    Dodge 6, Parry 4, Fortitude 6, Toughness 10, Will 10

Power Points
    Abilities 48 + Powers 30 + Advantages 16 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 120

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
    Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is 2010-2015 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

**Note: Some of the text in Complications is directly copied from the Mass Effect Wikipedia page (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Guide) because I'm feeling lazy. I'll let the players rephrase their complications when they write them.

I'm using the Affliction Power to strip shields and reduce other Tech-based powers (the Overload Power in the quarian's array) because I want to minimize the amount of math we're doing on the fly. So instead of reducing a power's effectiveness by Nullify, we're reducing it's effectiveness by -2, -5, or shutting it down completely. This may be a bit unorthodox, but for a game where tech powers are pretty standardized across the board, I think it'll be fine.

I chose PL 8 as our starting PL for this campaign. I wanted something that would give the players room to grow into higher PLs without distorting the feeling of the source material too much.

Additionally, I feel that for this setting personal force fields and armor falls under the "Equipment" heading because it's pretty ubiquitous among combatants. Omni-Tools are so prevalent, however, they don't even merit a feature... it's a complication to NOT have one. The special abilities that Tech-focused characters have are powers, though, because they're the only ones who do things like that in combat.
    Last edited by Shadowchaser; 02-15-2015, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Re: Shadowchaser's Campaign Noodlings

I am extremely jealous of anyone getting to play in a Mass Effect campaign. What sort of guidelines did you give the players for character creation?

Nice job with the Quarian. Infiltrator is easily my favourite class.
      Punching For Justice

Comment

Re: Shadowchaser's Campaign Noodlings

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
        I am extremely jealous of anyone getting to play in a Mass Effect campaign. What sort of guidelines did you give the players for character creation?

Nice job with the Quarian. Infiltrator is easily my favourite class.
        We've mostly been talking about it. My plan is to stat up a few examples based on the player requests and then let the players tweak the skills to suit the personalities they want to play. The quarian infiltrator was my brother's request. The overall story is going to diverge from the "canon" at the end of the first game, going off on a tangent as the players change the course of events. They'll be a crew of Spectre hopefuls from different races (the Council is trying to rebuild after Saren's attack on the Citadel), but of course surprising things will happen...

I think the next one I'll be sharing will be the Krogan Vanguard. Need to tweak it a bit before I post, though...

-James

Comment

Working...
        X