SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude

I'm SuperFerret, and this is my Shoebox of Solitude. What is that, you ask? Why, disembodied hypothetical voice, let me explain. Somewhere, deep within the shadows under the bed, behind a pile of dirty socks and next to some kind of cheese I think, is what would appear to be an ordinary cardboard shoebox. What nobody but those of you reading this (as well as myself, the guy writing it) knows is that the drab, ordinary exterior of the box hides a secret so terrible, so cryptic, so [creepy word database error], if you saw it, it would scar you for life. Also, it would be pretty cool to see, I guess. It's where I keep all my ideas, good or super-good. Let's have a look, shall we?

*ahem*

This is my RollCall thread, because I was getting bored just coming up with characters in HeroLab and not being able to show them off. Also, I heard this is a good way to get myself known around these parts, and since I like this place, I'd like to get to know people without awkwardly wedging myself into conversations. (Disclaimer: I cannot guarantee non-awkwardness in conversations I don't wedge myself into, but at least those are slightly easier.) I don't imagine this thread will become as huge as some others on here have, and I'm going to try and focus on showing off original creations for my own homebrew setting and building characters that I haven't seen on here before. Everyone's got a Superman build it seems, so I'm not really going to do anything special with one of my own.

Without further ado, let's get started.
    Last edited by SuperFerret; 12-16-2014, 05:45 PM.
    SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude - My RollCall thread
    Savage City: Welcome to the Jungle - My Custom M&M Setting

Re: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude

Let’s kick this thread off with my flagship character.

SuperFerret - PL 10

Height: 6'1"/6'10"
    Weight: 186lbs/235lbs

Strength 6/2, Stamina 6/2, Agility 10/4, Dexterity 0, Fighting 3, Intellect 0, Awareness 5/3, Presence 0

Advantages
    All-out Attack, Animal Empathy, Benefit, Cipher, Connected, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 1, Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Feint: Can Feint as a Move action without penalty., Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Minion 4, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Redirect, Ritualist, Skill Mastery: Acrobatics, Takedown, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
    Acrobatics 2 (+12), Athletics 2 (+8), Close Combat: Mauling 7 (+10), Deception 10 (+10), Expertise (AWE): Witchcraft 5 (+10), Expertise: Animals 5 (+5), Insight 3 (+8), Intimidation 4 (+4), Investigation 2 (+2), Perception 3 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+5), Stealth 2 (+12)

Powers
    Skinwalker (Activation: Standard Action)
    . . Beast Mode: Enhanced Trait 33 (supernatural, Agility +6 (+10), Strength +4 (+6), Stamina +4 (+6), Advantages: Defensive Roll 2, Evasion, Skill Mastery, Uncanny Dodge)
    . . Bestial Senses: Senses 5 (supernatural, animal, Acute: Scent, Extended: Scent 1: x10, Low-light Vision, Tracking: Scent 1: -1 speed rank, Ultra-hearing)
    . . Mauling Claws: Strength-based Damage 4 (slashing, DC 25; Split: 2 targets)
    . . . . Vicious Bite: Strength-based Damage 6 (Alternate; bludgeoning, piercing, DC 27; Grab-based, Inaccurate: -2)
    . . Mighty Mustelid: Enhanced Strength 1 (supernatural, +1 STR; Limited to Lifting)
    . . Quadruped: Movement 1 (Slithering, Advantages: Prone Fighting)
    . . Run Wild: Speed 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
    . . . . Quadrupedal Sprint: Speed 5 (Alternate; Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Quirk: Must run on all fours, can't use hands for anything else while running)
    . . Supernatural Healing: Regeneration 3 (supernatural, Every 3.33 rounds)
    Talk to the Animals: Comprehend 2 (supernatural, Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand)
    Witch's Familiar: Enhanced Trait 4 (supernatural, animal, Awareness +2 (+5); Limited: Only while Lenny is within a 10' radius)

Equipment
    Binoculars, Cell Phone (Smartphone), Flashlight, Multi-tool

Offense
    Initiative +14
    Grab, +10 (DC Spec 16)
    Mauling Claws: Strength-based Damage 4, +10 (DC 25)
    Throw, +0 (DC 21)
    Unarmed, +10 (DC 21)
    Vicious Bite: Strength-based Damage 6, +8 (DC 27)

Complications

Identity: Benjamin Joseph Blackfoot. Ben keeps his identity as SuperFerret secret out of concern for the safety of not only his loved ones, but his own as well. Anyone who knows who he is is someone who he is vulnerable to. (See Power Loss below.)

Monstrous: In Skinwalker form, Ben is a seven-foot tall humanoid weasel, which bothers certain people for some reason.

Power Loss: SuperFerret's Skinwalker power is tied to a hood made of enchanted weasel skin. Saying Ben's full name outloud causes the power to deactivate immediately and Ben becomes Stunned and Vulnerable for one round. Furthermore, while the power is deactivated (whether it is voluntary or forced), the hood is Easily Removable as if it were a device.

Relationship (Dr. Jill Gold, DVM): Jill is a skilled veterinarian, a passionate defender of animal welfare, and Ben's girlfriend. She often provides aid to Ben (per the Connected advantage). Despite lacking powers, Jill may be as recklessly adventurous as Ben is, and will need his help as often as he needs hers.

Relationship (Lenny the Raven): No longer truly a natural animal, Lenny is a long-lived, mystically enlightened raven that serves as Ben's familiar. He primarily aids Ben with matters involving witchcraft and will often give advice and share his knowledge with the young skinwalker. The relationship between the two can be somewhat strained at times due to Lenny being originally in service of Ben's mother, Irma, who was a powerful witch in her own right. Lenny is still partly bound to Irma and cannot refuse her summons, though he will side with Ben if the two ever disagree.

Reputation: To those in the know, skinwalkers are worst sort of monster that exist. If his status as one ever came to public knowledge, Ben may have to deal with a very real witchhunt. As it is, given his fame, there are many who suspect his true nature and thus fear and distrust him.

Languages
    English

Defense
    Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8/6, Will 8

Power Points
    Abilities 28 + Powers 60 + Advantages 21 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 150

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
    Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2014 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

Lenny the Raven - PL 10

Strength -2, Stamina 0, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages
    Agile Feint, Contacts, Favored Environment: In the Air, Move-by Action, Ritualist, Set-up, Well-informed

Skills
    Deception 4 (+4), Expertise (AWE): Witchcraft 6 (+8), Insight 5 (+7), Investigation 4 (+4), Perception 3 (+5)

Powers
    A Little Bird Told Me: Shrinking 8 (-2 STR, -4 Intimidate, +8 Stealth, +4 active defenses, -2 size categories, -1 speed ranks; Innate; Permanent)
    As the Crow Flies: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Innate; Wings)
    Bird's Eye: Senses 2 (Extended: Vision 1: x10, Low-light Vision)
    Mimickry: Feature 1 (Notes: Lenny can imitate almost any sound he's heard, giving you a +10 bonus to Deception checks to convince others your mimicked sounds are real.)
    Talk to the Animals: Comprehend 2 (supernatural, Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand)

Offense
    Initiative +2
    Grab, +0 (DC Spec 8)
    Throw, +0 (DC 13)
    Unarmed, +0 (DC 13)

Complications

Disability: While Lenny is a highly intelligent bird, he still has troubles in a human-centric world. His beak and talons are not as dextrous as human hands, leaving him unable to perform certain tasks.

Quirk: Despite his intelligence, Lenny is still a raven, and is sometimes distracted by shiny objects and baubles.

Relationship: Lenny sometimes finds himself torn between Benjamin, his primary charge, and Irma, his former master. In a dispute between the two, he'll most likely side with Ben, but he is still bound to do Irma's bidding on occasion.

Languages
    English

Defense
    Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 0, Toughness 0, Will 5

Power Points
    Abilities 8 + Powers 29 + Advantages 7 + Skills 11 (22 ranks) + Defenses 5 = 60

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
    Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2014 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
    Character Bio: As the son of a powerful witch, Benjamin Blackfoot had little chance of a normal life. Unlike most of Navajo descent, he grew up far from the Four Corners region and the tribe from which his mother hailed (and was ultimately disowned by) His father, an Englishman, wasn't present for much of his childhood, and his older sister, Eve, left home as soon as she could. Having already driven her daughter away, Ben's mother, Irma, was alternately cruel and neglectful of him, either getting lost in the bottle she so often threw herself into or giving the boy sadistic lessons in witchcraft. For the most part, Ben raised himself, with some guidance from Irma's then-familiar, a large black raven named Leonard. The bird taught Ben how to speak to animals and do the miscellaneous minor magic tricks that came with his supernatural ancestry, while Ben's mother taught him how to skinwalk, or change his shape, using an animal's skin to alter his body into an amalgamation of man and animal.

In his teenage years, Ben was nearly addicted to skinwalking, spending most of his free time in the woods, terrorizing hikers and the local wildlife. At school, he got decent grades, but mostly excelled due to his prowess on the school's wrestling team. Upon turning 18, Ben received a wolverine's pelt from his mother; it was a gift of great power and a sign that he was now a man, and a skinwalker in his own right. Leonard the crow, or "Lenny" as Ben called him, also granted the young man his services as a familiar. It was also in that time that Ben got his most valuable lesson of all. His sister, Eve, reentered his life on the day of Ben's High School Graduation, and revealed to him a great many things: the true origin of his supernatural gifts, the reason she and their father ultimately left, and the dark secret that the family had kept from Ben for his entire life. Horrified, Ben swore to never use his powers again and left his mother's home, striking out on his own in the city, accompanied only by Lenny.

Without much in the way of profitable skills, Ben eventually wound up as a waiter in a greasy spoon diner, and living in the bad part of town. Still, it was a fairly comfortable life, until circumstances forced Ben to dabble with the witchcraft he had previously forsaken. After a botched mugging, Ben wound up rescuing a pit bull from a pair of teenage hoodlums. On behalf of the dog, Ben came into conflict with a street gang, using his powers to take down a prolific dog-fighting ring. Along the way, he realized that he could escape his dark history and forge a new life for himself, while using his powers to help others. Together with Dr. Jill Gold, a young veterinarian that he had met (and fallen for) along the way, Ben established himself as a champion for all animals, calling himself "SuperFerret", a name for himself that he gave a little boy to keep the child from being afraid of him.

--------

SuperFerret's got kind of a weird story. I've had the screenname "SuperFerret" for just over ten years now, initially choosing it as an e-mail address when my first one was hacked and started sending out spam e-mails to my friends and family. At the time, I owned a beautiful little ferret named Evie and I really liked superhero comments, so clearly the name "SuperFerret" was chosen completely at random. Anyway, after I had the name, a fun game called City of Heroes came out, and I started trying to dream up what this SuperFerret would be. (I'd played CoH since the beginning, but due to limited costume options, SF didn't see digital life until City of Villains came out. Beastial Costume Parts for the win!) He initially started out as a Supermanalogue with fur, but developed into a genetically-altered wereweasel, but then I came across the Navajo skinwalker legends, and I knew I had found something good. For those who don't know, skinwalkers are shapechanging witches in Native American lore, and they literally have the best set of powers for the character I had envisioned. They can shapechange, are tougher and faster than normal humans, and have a plethora of magic tricks to fall back on. (In some legends, they can even fly without the need for wings.) Aside from the fact that they're pretty much the most evil monster in human imagination, it was a perfect fit.

As it stands now, SuperFerret is basically "Harry Dresden: Pet Detective", and takes a whole lot from Spider-Man. He's a quick-witted, agile hero, who (at least in my Play Tests) will frequently dive headfirst into trouble and gets his butt handed to him at first, before regrouping and coming back with some clever plan or invention.

And whew, that's a bit to type. As with all of my builds and stuff, any and all feedback, suggestions, corrections, etc. is very welcome.

EDIT: Thanks to suggestions and feedback from JDRook, I've edited SuperFerret and Lenny to their current (and I feel, better) incarnations.
    Last edited by SuperFerret; 12-08-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I've never heard of skin-walking before. In the little bit I've read up on the subject in the past ten minutes, it sounds like, in theory, Benjamin could become other animals too?

Comment

Welcome, SuperFerret! Let me give your namesake one of my legendary analyses.

I see you went pretty simple on the Abilities. Nothing wrong with that; there are factions on the boards who would have them removed from the game if they could. It's really a preference thing, but I'd raise Awareness up a couple of ranks to feed into your Perception, Insight and Will, all of which are traits one would expect to be high for animal-based PCs, as well as shamanistic character who value connection with their environment over raw intelligence. The same argument is harder for Presence, since the points don't work out, but adding a free PRE-based Advantage for every rank in Presence is becoming a common houserule, so keep that in mind.

Speaking of Advantages, you should consider whether you want Instant Up. It's basically an auto-succeed for anytime you want to get up from Prone as a Free action, but a) your animal form operates great while Prone and b) you have a high enough Acro skill that you could do it anyway on a roll of 8 or better, or routinely out of combat. You could put that 1p to other uses, including getting Skill Mastery: Acrobatics which would essentially let you perform DC22 Acrobatic actions (balancing, maneuvering, tumbling) without rolling, even in combat, and that would include standing as a Free Action.

I assume Lenny is the rank 4 Minion. That's up to 60p, but most of the bird builds I've seen top out under 40. I get that he might be smarter and more skilled, but I would like to see his build.

I'm pretty sure your Beastfriend power could probably be done with Animal Empathy with simpler functionality and half the cost.

The Grab-based on your Vicious Bite drops the cost but makes it too small to support Multiattack on your Claws AE, unless you want Multi on only 3 ranks of Damage. Strength-based can fool you like that.

The Witch's Familar effect could again be an Awareness boost, and even more effective if you make Witchcraft an AWE-based skill. Then Lenny would give a boost to your Perception, Insight, Will and Witchcraft whenever he's around.

Hopefully that's useful to you.
        My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
        My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
        [/URL]
        I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Originally posted by Earth-Two_Kenn View Post
          Interesting. I've never heard of skin-walking before. In the little bit I've read up on the subject in the past ten minutes, it sounds like, in theory, Benjamin could become other animals too?
          In theory, yeah, but fiction being what it is, I'm deviating slightly from the folklore to make it that each skinwalker has a favored animal. It's not really a mechanical thing, so it's not shown in the build.

Originally posted by JDRook View Post
          Welcome, SuperFerret! Let me give your namesake one of my legendary analyses.

I see you went pretty simple on the Abilities. Nothing wrong with that; there are factions on the boards who would have them removed from the game if they could. It's really a preference thing, but I'd raise Awareness up a couple of ranks to feed into your Perception, Insight and Will, all of which are traits one would expect to be high for animal-based PCs, as well as shamanistic character who value connection with their environment over raw intelligence. The same argument is harder for Presence, since the points don't work out, but adding a free PRE-based Advantage for every rank in Presence is becoming a common houserule, so keep that in mind.
          I've gone back and forth on raising his AWE score. You make excellent points, and it feeds into the comparison to the D&D Druid class that I've made in the past. Your suggestion to change Witchcraft to an AWE-based Expertise is also a good one, and might swing my decision in that direction.

Speaking of Advantages, you should consider whether you want Instant Up. It's basically an auto-succeed for anytime you want to get up from Prone as a Free action, but a) your animal form operates great while Prone and b) you have a high enough Acro skill that you could do it anyway on a roll of 8 or better, or routinely out of combat. You could put that 1p to other uses, including getting Skill Mastery: Acrobatics which would essentially let you perform DC22 Acrobatic actions (balancing, maneuvering, tumbling) without rolling, even in combat, and that would include standing as a Free Action.
          I'd never thought of that. Very good suggestion, I'll definitely make that change.

I assume Lenny is the rank 4 Minion. That's up to 60p, but most of the bird builds I've seen top out under 40. I get that he might be smarter and more skilled, but I would like to see his build.
          Whoops! I meant to post Lenny's build. Sorry.
          Lenny the Raven - PL 10

Strength -2, Stamina 0, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Advantages
          Agile Feint, Contacts, Move-by Action, Ritualist, Set-up, Well-informed

Skills
          Acrobatics 2 (+4), Deception 4 (+4), Expertise: Witchcraft 10 (+10), Insight 5 (+5), Investigation 4 (+4), Perception 3 (+3)

Powers
          A Little Bird Told Me: Shrinking 8 (-2 STR, -4 Intimidate, +8 Stealth, +4 active defenses, -2 size categories, -1 speed ranks; Innate; Permanent)
          As the Crow Flies: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Innate; Wings)
          Bird's Eye: Senses 2 (Extended: Vision 1: x10, Low-light Vision)
          Mimickry: Feature 1 (Notes: Lenny can imitate almost any sound he's heard, giving you a +10 bonus to Deception checks to convince others your mimicked sounds are real.)

Offense
          Initiative +2
          Grab, +0 (DC Spec 8)
          Throw, +0 (DC 13)
          Unarmed, +0 (DC 13)

Complications

Disability: While Lenny is a highly intelligent bird, he still has troubles in a human-centric world. His beak and talons are not as dextrous as human hands, leaving him unable to perform certain tasks.

Quirk: Despite his intelligence, Lenny is still a raven, and is sometimes distracted by shiny objects and baubles.

Relationship: Lenny sometimes finds himself torn between Benjamin, his primary charge, and Irma, his former master. In a dispute between the two, he'll most likely side with Ben, but he is still bound to do Irma's bidding on occasion.

Languages
          English

Defense
          Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 0, Toughness 0, Will 5

Power Points
          Abilities 4 + Powers 29 + Advantages 6 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Defenses 7 = 60

I'm pretty sure your Beastfriend power could probably be done with Animal Empathy with simpler functionality and half the cost.
          As you've noticed, Animal Empathy is strangely lacking on the build, which a few people have pointed out as weird, given SF's focus on animals. I'm just not sure how useful it would be given that he can speak to animals, which (I assume) would allow him to use Interaction skills on animals normally. Beastfriend is there to show (1) that he's better with animals than people, and (2) that animals instinctively trust him.

The Grab-based on your Vicious Bite drops the cost but makes it too small to support Multiattack on your Claws AE, unless you want Multi on only 3 ranks of Damage. Strength-based can fool you like that.
          That I didn't know. Thanks for the heads up.

The Witch's Familar effect could again be an Awareness boost, and even more effective if you make Witchcraft an AWE-based skill. Then Lenny would give a boost to your Perception, Insight, Will and Witchcraft whenever he's around.
          As I said above, I'll probably try messing around with making him more AWE based (though probably not super-high).

Hopefully that's useful to you.
          Very useful, thanks. I'm posting these looking for this sort of feedback, and as the eternal tinkerer that I am, I'm looking forward to messing with the build a bit.

Comment

Now, to attract some real attention ('cause I know you guys don't care about my original characters ).

Mewtwo - PL 12

Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 12, Awareness 12, Presence 0

Advantages
            Assessment, Benefit, Cipher 2, Evasion 2, Move-by Action, Speed of Thought, Trance, Ultimate Effort: Will Checks, Uncanny Dodge, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
            Acrobatics 4 (+6), Expertise: Genetics 2 (+14), Insight 3 (+15), Intimidation 7 (+7), Investigation 2 (+14), Perception 3 (+15), Ranged Combat: Shadow Ball 16 (+16), Technology 3 (+15)

Powers
            Mind Reading: Enhanced Trait 9 (psychic, Dodge +3 (+9), Parry +3 (+9), Advantages: Evasion 2, Uncanny Dodge; Limited to Minds)
            Psychic Movement
            . . Levitate: Flight 5 (psychic, telekinetic, Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
            . . Teleport: Teleport 3 (psychic, 250 feet in a move action, carrying 200 lbs.; Increased Mass 2; Transit Time 2: 6 seconds)
            Psychic Type Powers
            . . Barrier: Protection 13 ([13 active, 26/36 PP, 2/r], psychic, telekinetic, +13 Toughness; Impervious, Sustained)
            . . Psystrike: Damage 12 ([0 active, 26/36 PP, 3/r], psychic, telekinetic, DC 27; Increased Range 2: perception)
            . . Recover: Healing 10 ([0 active, 26/36 PP, 1/r], psychic; Limited: Limited to Self only)
            . . Shadow Ball: Damage 8 ([0 active, 26/36 PP, 3/r+1], shadow, DC 23; Affects Insubstantial: half ranks, Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack)
            Telekinesis: Move Object 8 (6 tons)
            Telepathy
            . . Comprehend 2 (Linked; psychic, thought, Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood; Limited to Minds)
            . . Mental Area Communication 2 (Linked; psychic, thought; Area)

Offense
            Initiative +12
            Grab, +0 (DC Spec 12)
            Psystrike: Damage 12 (DC 27)
            Shadow Ball: Damage 8, +16 (DC 23)
            Telekinesis: Move Object 8, +0 (DC 18)
            Throw, +0 (DC 17)
            Unarmed, +0 (DC 17)

Complications

Flashbacks "Am I just an experiment? A LABORATORY SPECIMEN?": Mewtwo is haunted by flashbacks of its origins. Scenes of being experimented on in a laboratory haunt its dreams.

Hatred "You humans are a dangerous species.": Mewtwo hates humanity, feeling that they are weak and selfish beings who were only interested in power and wealth. It also hates other pokémon that choose to serve humans.

Monstrous "We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokémon, and we succeeded.": Mewtwo is a Pokémon created by science. It is a bipedal, humanoid creature with some feline features. It is primarily gray with a long, purple tail. On top of its head are two short, blunt horns, and it has purple eyes. A tube extends from the back of its skull to the top of its spine, bypassing its neck. It has a defined chest and shoulders, which resemble a breastplate. The three digits on each hand and foot have spherical tips. Its tail is thick at the base, but thins before ending in a small bulb.

Obsession "Who am I? What is my true reason for being?": Mewtwo is troubled by its origins as an artificial being, and is unsure of its reason for existing independently of being a weapon. It constantly broods over the implications of its own existence and searches for a higher purpose.

Weakness "It's Super-Effective!": As a Psychic-type Pokémon, Mewtwo suffers an extra degree of failure from Death and Shadow effects.

Languages
            Pokémon Speak

Defense
            Dodge 9/6, Parry 9/6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 15, Will 18

Power Points
            Abilities 60 + Powers 87 + Advantages 8 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 195

Character Bio: Mewtwo is a genetically-engineered clone of the Pokémon Mew, created by Team Rocket scientists on Cinnabar Island in the Kanto Region. It was created to be the ultimate Pokémon, born and bred to fight. This resulted in Mewtwo being cold and ruthless, and utterly without compassion. It has little desire other than defeating foes in battle. After years of painful gene splicing and DNA altering experiments, Mewtwo rebelled, breaking free and wreaking havoc in the laboratory that he was “born” in. He killed most of the staff at the lab and burnt the building to the ground before flying off to an unknown location. Alone and free at last, Mewtwo soon found itself without a clear purpose. It sought out powerful foes, but ultimately found them lacking, and soon the cloned Pokémon grew melancholy and troubled. It pondered over its existence, wondering if it had a higher purpose to fulfill.

--------

This is basically an amalgam of the Mewtwo from the first Pokémon movie and its appearances in the games. I’ve thought about building MegaMewtwo X and Y, but I don’t particularly like either, so I’m leaving that for a future day of boredom.

As always, any and all feedback is welcome.
            Last edited by SuperFerret; 12-11-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm going to keep pushing for Awareness and AWE-based Witchcraft. It is both flavourful and functional for your particular PC. I'd give Lenny some, too; almost every animal in the official builds has some Awareness, and all the flyers have 2. I figure give Ben and Lenny at least 2 ranks each and have the boost be at least another 2 ranks.

Speaking of Lenny, he also has Agile Feint, which most people forget can use Movement ranks instead of Acro. Since he already has Flight 4 I'd recommend dropping his Acro ranks and buying Favored Environment (Aerial), so he'd still be just as good at distracting opponents but also be a little better at dodging while flying.

Technically, without Animal Empathy you are -10 to interactions with animals, and the advantage just buys off that penalty. It's not clear whether buying Comprehend Animals would override that penalty, or if the animals would just avoid your weird smell and make fun of your accent behind your back. It's really going to depend on the GM, and I'd recommend it instead of Beastfriend just because it feels like you're reinventing the wheel.
              My old [URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]Atomic Think Tank[/URL] thread
              My current character thread: [URL="https://roninarmy.com/threads/6194-The-Sound-of-My-Eyebeams-JDRook-s-builds-and-blather?p=233536&viewfull=1#post233536"]The Sound of my Eyebeams[/URL][URL="http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?p=743877#p743877"]
              [/URL]
              I will build characters in HeroLab for you! Send me [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/transcribe-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?funnel=6e71f15f-207e-49f4-bf35-9ceb23b979a7"]your finished design[/URL] or even [URL="https://www.fiverr.com/jdrook/create-a-mutants-and-masterminds-pc-in-herolab?context=advanced_search&context_type=rating&funnel=2014103117123522519608360"]your original concept[/URL]!

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm going to keep pushing for Awareness and AWE-based Witchcraft. It is both flavourful and functional for your particular PC. I'd give Lenny some, too; almost every animal in the official builds has some Awareness, and all the flyers have 2. I figure give Ben and Lenny at least 2 ranks each and have the boost be at least another 2 ranks.

Speaking of Lenny, he also has Agile Feint, which most people forget can use Movement ranks instead of Acro. Since he already has Flight 4 I'd recommend dropping his Acro ranks and buying Favored Environment (Aerial), so he'd still be just as good at distracting opponents but also be a little better at dodging while flying.

Technically, without Animal Empathy you are -10 to interactions with animals, and the advantage just buys off that penalty. It's not clear whether buying Comprehend Animals would override that penalty, or if the animals would just avoid your weird smell and make fun of your accent behind your back. It's really going to depend on the GM, and I'd recommend it instead of Beastfriend just because it feels like you're reinventing the wheel.
                I've done some tinkering around with the two of them, and the Awareness boost (with AWE-Based Witchcraft) definitely feels more "right" for the two of them. (I also can't believe I forgot the Favored Environment for Lenny, but I'll chalk that up to a brainfart.) The -10 Penalty isn't something I'd want to deal with, so I'll pick up Animal Empathy for Ben. The trouble now is keeping it all under 150pts, since I try to keep my characters at 15pts/PL. (Mewtwo's an exception to that, but I'm comfortable being lax about it on characters who are obvious NPCs.)

Quick question: As it seems that Strength-Based creates issues with things like Multiattack, does it do anything funny for Split?
                Last edited by SuperFerret; 12-07-2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFerret View Post
                  Quick question: As it seems that Strength-Based creates issues with things like Multiattack, does it do anything funny for Split?
                  The trick with Full Extras like Multiattack or Ranged is that they need to cover all the ranks of Damage to work right. If you have STR 6 and Str-based Damage 2, then you need 8 ranks of Multiattack to cover the final 8 Damage, not just 2.

Split is a flat Extra, and just splits your total attack into 2 parts, no matter what that total is, as long as both are at least 1 rank. Split would actually be a great way to simulate separate claw attacks used as one action, and between that and Takedown, I'd say you don't really need Multiattack.

If you wanted to trim down anything for point-saving, I'd recommend that Bite. Base Damage on that is 15 ranks, which is strong enough to bite through an inch of titanium, and that's even without the Power Attack. At 12 or even 10 you can still bite through any steel thin enough to fit in your muzzle and overcome any RAW 3e Impervious in a PL10 setting. If you really want to keep it that powerful, though, I'd make the Claws a main power with the Bite as an AE, probably keep the Grab-based and/or throw on another Flaw like Distracting or Tiring. Something that big should be a finishing move, and not be used too often.
                  [/URL]

Comment

I hadn't thought about the whole "biting through titanium" thing, I just wanted to have a big finishing attack to make up for being offensively under PL otherwise. I'll probably lower the damage, and make it an alternate for the claw attacks, which I'll bring up to a more balanced number. That should work out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFerret View Post
                      I hadn't thought about the whole "biting through titanium" thing, I just wanted to have a big finishing attack to make up for being offensively under PL otherwise.
                      To be fair, most players rarely check that kind of thing. If you look at the Material Toughness table in the Damage section of the book, they list how tough about an inch of material is, and STR/Damage 10 is just about perfect for bending steel bars. Often players don't design relative to the setting and how well they want their PC to interact with it, but with maximum effect, maximum survivability and interesting concept in varying orders of priority. This is usually a carryover from other systems where you don't start off really powerful and getting killed is actually a strong possibility. In a game like that there's no such thing as "too strong" or "too tough", only a limit on how much you can squeeze out at any given point. Since it's harder to die in M&M and it's possible to make powers that are unbelievably effective, it's easier to build toward a particular concept instead of getting as much bang for your buck as you can.
                      [/URL]

Comment

Love the ferret!
                        Original character, RL ties, strong and specific motives. Very cool.

Comment

Thanks! I'm working on other characters for the setting I'm designing, but life is getting in the way, and I don't want to present standard expies for certain characters that I'm ripping off... I mean, borrowing from.

Comment

Some fun (cute!) ideas so far. I'm looking forward to see what else comes from that little pink wiggly nose and those little paws.

Comment

Here's one of the more prominent personalities in my fledgling setting, Wavelord.

Wavelord - PL 13

Height: 6'3"
                              Weight: 197lbs

Strength 10, Stamina 11, Agility 3, Dexterity 0, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Advantages
                              All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 1, Fast Grab, Favored Environment: Underwater, Fearless, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Languages 3, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
                              Acrobatics 7 (+10), Athletics 2 (+12), Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+16), Expertise: History 6 (+8), Insight 8 (+10), Intimidation 3 (+6), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+7), Ranged Combat: Thrown Weapons 8 (+8), Technology 4 (+6)

Powers
                              Hereditary Kingship
                              . . Compel Loyalty: Perception Area Affliction 13 (biological, 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 23; Perception Area: DC 23 - Vision/Hearing, Insidious, Subtle: subtle; Limited 2: Limited to direct descendants, Notes: Roughly 20% of the current population are direct descendants of Wavelord.)
                              . . Comprehend 2 (biological, Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood; Narrow Type: Direct descendants)
                              Immortal: Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease)
                              Last Son of Atlantis
                              . . Aquatic Heritage: Immunity 3 (Environmental Condition: Cold, Environmental Condition: High Pressure, Suffocation: Drowning)
                              . . Enhanced Senses: Senses 5 (Accurate: Hearing, Extended: Hearing 1: x10, Low-light Vision, Ultra-hearing)
                              . . Swimming 8 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)
                              . . . . Ground Speed: Speed 5 (Alternate; Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
                              . . . . Powerful Leap: Leaping 5 (Alternate; Leap 250 feet at 60 miles/hour; Acrobatics Check Required)
                              . . Undersea Adaption: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Underwater)
                              Madness: Immunity 5 (Interaction Skills; Limited - Half Effect)
                              Rapid Strikes (Multiattack)
                              . . Chokehold: Progressive Affliction 10 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Progressive; Grab-based)
                              . . Ear Boxing: Affliction 10 (Alternate; bludgeoning, 1st degree: Dazed, Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, Stunned, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Extra Condition; Limited Degree)

Equipment
                              Chain-mail

Offense
                              Initiative +7
                              Chokehold: Progressive Affliction 10, +8 (DC Fort 20)
                              Compel Loyalty: Perception Area Affliction 13 (DC Will 23)
                              Ear Boxing: Affliction 10, +8 (DC Will 20)
                              Grab, +16 (DC Spec 20)
                              Throw, +8 (DC 25)
                              Unarmed, +16 (DC 25)

Complications

Honor: Wavelord, while a mercurial personality for sure, is a man of his word. He will not lie or cheat, even against his worst enemies, and he believes in a fair fight.

Madness: Due to living for thousands of years and being in the debt of an ancient god, Wavelord is quite mad, and is prone to strange behavior at times.

Responsibility: Wavelord believes that he is the last fullblooded scion of the lost civilization of Atlantis and feels a responsibility to restore his civilization to its former glory.

Weakness: Wavelord's sense of hearing is highly sensitive, and due to this, it can be used against him. He suffers an extra degree of failure from Hearing Sense-Dependent effects and effects with the Sonic descriptor.

Languages
                              Atlantean, English, Greek, Latin

Defense
                              Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 11, Toughness 14, Will 15

Power Points
                              Abilities 78 + Powers 47 + Advantages 17 + Skills 27 (54 ranks) + Defenses 26 = 195

Character Bio: Many thousands of years ago, the great civilization of Atlantis thrived. The Atlanteans had advanced technology far ahead of their contemporaries, and the society's grasp of magic was equally profound. It was the pinnacle of human accomplishments, and had been for centuries. And then the gods came.

These were not the gods of Olympus, whom the Atlanteans had known, nor were they the gods of the pharaohs, of whom they had heard. These gods fought amongst themselves, and in the process, they devastated Atlantis. As the city sank beneath the waves, the King of Atlantis, Kenos, called out to the gods he knew. He pleaded with them for deliverance, but none came. Desperate, he called out blindly, seeking any power that would listen. None answered. None, save for the Old One.

The Old One was a god, but one unlike the Olympians or the new battling gods. As the name suggests, the Old One was ancient, and had existed long before the gods of humanity. It came to Kenos as the Atlantean King was dying, contacting him in the twilight between this world and the next. Seemingly altruistic, it offered power and longevity to the fading soul, asking nothing in return. Kenos, literally a drowning man, grasped onto these gifts and soon found himself able to breathe and move freely, despite being deep beneath the waves.

Swimming frantically, he soon found himself at the surface, and then on the shore. He was stunned, partly from the abilities he now displayed, but mostly due to the utter loss of his entire civilization. After composing himself, Kenos began to explore his new surroundings, and took to the life of a wandering recluse, periodically siring children as he traveled the world. Over the next few decades, he discovered that he no longer aged. He also grew quite mad, likely due to the subtle influence the Old One had on him.

Kenos reappearred, thousands of years later, in the early 20th century. In February of 1940, Kenos began attacking the United States' eastern seaboard, eventually getting the moniker "Black Tide" and coming into conflict with Max Marvel, the world's first modern superhero. Their battle would become known as the first clash between superhumans in the modern era, with Black Tide going down in history as the first supervillain. Kenos would later redeem himself by aiding Allied forces in the Second World War. In the following decades, Kenos would rebrand himself as "Wavelord", and join the superhero team called the Miracle Men.

In the mid-1980's, the team disbanded, and Kenos, the Wavelord, disappeared once more.

--------

When first developing my setting, I wanted to populate it with familiar archetypes to reinforce the sense of history I sought, but I didn't want to tread the same old ground. Thus, (aside from my Superman expy) I'm going for characters that may suggest certain famous archetypical characters, but with a bit of a twist to keep them interesting, both in story and stats-wise. This is the first of those that I'm planning on posting here: Kenos the Wavelord.

Obviously, Kenos is a Namor the Sub-Mariner analogue, with a bit of Aquaman (mostly his tendency to wear clothes). I also tossed in a bit of Vandal Savage and some of the Cthulhu mythos into the backstory. Statistically, he's a basic sort of aquatic powerhouse, but the big thing for him is the Hereditary Kingship power. The urban legend says that 0.5-1% of the current world population is descended from Genghis Khan (a man who made Wilt Chamberlain look like a virgin), but Kenos is much older and has been active for longer. So, while my ballpark of 20% of the world being his descendants may be extreme, it's real world logical enough for comic book logic to take the torch and run with it to the finish line. (Sorry for the mixed metaphors.) Anyway, Hereditary Kingship allows him to basically dominate one out of every five people (1-4 on a d20 roll), but in a way where the controlled person doesn't realize that they're succumbing to outside influence (in a way, it's similar to the Purple Man's power).

Comment

Working...
                              X