Kyle's Builds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle's Builds

Thought I'd try my hand at a build thread, again. Going to start with the Valiant characters, and see where I go from there.
    Punching For Justice

Re: Kyle's Builds

Armstrong : PL8
    Aram Anni-Padda

Abilities
    Str 10
    Sta 8
    Agl 0
    Dex 2
    Fgt 6
    Int 4
    Awe 2
    Pre 6

Powers

Gift of the Boon
    - Immortality 18 • 36 pp
    - Immunity (aging, psychic manipulation) • 11 pp
    - Regeneration 5 • 5 pp

Bottomless Satchel Feature (extra dimensional storage) 5; Easily Removable • 3 pp

Advantages
    All-out Attack, Attractive, Chokehold, Connected, Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll 2, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Interpose, Jack-of-all-trades, Languages 6, Luck 3, Takedown, Taunt, Well-informed

Skills
    Athletics 2 (+12), Deception 8 (+14), Expertise: Historian 12 (+16), Expertise: Poet 6 (+12), Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation 4 (+10), Investigation 2 (+6), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 8 (+14), Sleight of Hand 6 (+8), Treatment 6 (+10)

Offense
    Initiative +0
    Unarmed +6 : Close, Damage 10

Defense
    Dodge 6
    Parry 6
    Fort 8
    Tough 10
    Will 8

Power Points
    Abilities 76 + Skills 31 + Advantages 26 + Powers 55 + Defenses 12 = 200 Total

Complications
    A man of many vices: Even before the Boon granted him and his brothers immortality, Aram Anni-Padda was a lover not a fighter. The thousands of years since then have only reinforced Armstrong’s appreciation for what’s truly important: wine, women, and song.
    Survivor's Guilt: The Boon killed everyone in the Sumerian city of Ur, except for Aram and his brothers, and infused him with the lifeforce of thousands. The knowledge that all those deaths fuel his life eats at Armstrong.
    He Who Is Not To Be Named: Through his years of wandering the globe, having drunken adventures, Armstrong has managed to upset a number of people, including the loose organization of rival cults called the Sect. Every one branch or another of the Sect will attempt to assassinate him and steal his knowledge of the Boon.

- Armstrong is pretty much just a low level powerhouse. He's big and strong, and can keep going after a huge amount of damage, but he still has very human weaknesses.

- He regenerates damage quickly, but it does take him a while to regrow missing body parts. Early in the series, it took him a few days to grow new eyes after his were shot out with a crossbow.

- The satchel seems to hold a limitless amount of gear, though Armstrong mostly uses it to carry wine, and old books. If he were being used in a campaign, it would be entirely appropriate for Armstrong to retrieve an important map, or key, or whatever from the satchel via the Edit Scene use of a Hero Point.

EDIT While I was looking for art for Mary-Maria, I came across a scene where a psychic was unable to read Armstrong's mind due that I'd forgotten, so I updated his powers.

EDIT I used Armstrong as a basis for building Ivar, and noticed that despite his being something of a ladies' man, I neglected to give him Attractive. I also gave him several ranks of Persuasion, which he didn't have before.
    Last edited by Kyle; 08-22-2015, 06:32 PM.
    Punching For Justice

Comment

Obadiah Archer : PL 15

Abilities
      Str 2
      Sta 3
      Dex 6
      Agl 7
      Fgt 8
      Int 6
      Awe 6
      Pre 0

Powers
      Psiot Mimicry Variable 10; Limited to previously encountered Skills, Advantages, and Powers • 60 pp

Equipment
      Crossbow • 7 ep

Advantages
      Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Assessment, Benefit: Sect Leader, Close Attack 2, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 5, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 2, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Aim, Improved Critical: crossbow 3, Improved Critical: unarmed 2, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Precise Attack, Prone Fighting, Redirect, Takedown, Trance, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
      Acrobatics 8 (+15), Athletics 10 (+12), Close Combat: unarmed 2 (+12), Perception 6 (+12), Ranged Combat: crossbow 4 (+10), Sleight of Hand 4 (+10), Treatment 2 (+8)

Offense
      Initiative +14
      Unarmed +12; Close, Damage 2, Crit 18-20
      Crossbow +10; Ranged, Damage 3, Crit 16-20

Defense
      Dodge 10
      Parry 10
      Fort 6
      Tough 8
      Will 12

Power Points
      Abilities 76 + Skills 18 + Advantages 35 + Powers 60 + Defenses 19 = 208 Total

Complications
      Sheltered upbringing: Despite being highly intelligent, and potentially the most powerful psiot alive, Archer did not leave his parents’ creationist theme park before being given the mission to kill Armstrong. As such, he’s highly skilled, but has a very limited range of experiences.
      Sins of the Parents: His adventures with Armstrong have shown Archer the evils of the Sect. A fundamentally good person, Archer is determined to free the world from the cults’ influence, one way or another.
      Making up for lost time: After learning about his parents’ involvement with the Sect, that he’s been lied to his entire life, Archer has set aside his faith and decided to open himself up to new experiences.

- Archer's base abilities make him a PL 9 character, and even then only his Defense is capped out, but there's no limit to his ability to mimic the powers of other psiots, so I thought it best to give him some room to breathe, so to speak.
      - When I get around to stating the various members of H.A.R.D. Corps, I'll edit Archer's build to include a sidebar with all their powers, seeing as they're the most powerful psiots Archer has encountered thus far, and he does tend to use their abilities almost as frequently as his martial arts training. At this point, he doesn't actually carry a crossbow any more.
      Punching For Justice

Comment

Mary-Maria Archer : PL 7
        Anointed Superior of the Sisters of Perpetual Darkness

Abilities
        Str 1
        Sta 3
        Dex 5
        Agl 6
        Fgt 7
        Int 3
        Awe 6
        Pre 4

Equipment
        Armored jumpsuit • 4 ep
        Katana • 4 ep
        Assault rifle • 15 ep

Advantages
        Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Attractive, Benefit: Sect Leader, Close Attack 2, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 5, Evasion, Improved Critical: crossbow 2, Improved Critical: swords 3, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Languages, Minion 15, Move-by Action, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 3, Takedown

Skills
        Acrobatics 7 (+13), Athletics 8 (+9), Close Combat: swords +1 (+10), Close Combat: unarmed +2 (+11), Deception 6 (+10), Insight 4 (+10), Intimidation 2 (+6), Perception 6 (+12), Sleight of Hand 6 (+11), Stealth 4 (+10), Treatment 3 (+6)

Offense
        Initiative +13
        Unarmed +11; Close, Damage 1
        Katana +10; Close, Damage +4, Crit 15-20
        Assault rifle +8; Ranged, Damage 5, multiattck

Defense
        Dodge 7
        Parry 7
        Fort 5
        Tough 7/5*
        Will 6
        *without armor

Power Points
        Abilities 70 + Skills 25 + Advantages 48 + Defenses 3 = 146 Total

Complications
        Survivor: Mary-Maria is able to quickly adapt to new situations, and find a way to turn them to her benefit.
        Sister Superior: Though she’s the head of the Sect cult, the Sisters of Perpetual Darkness, Mary-Maria gained the position through circumstance rather than ambition. The Sisterhood is useful, but they’re also a scary convent of assassin Catholic nuns who take the names of serial killers and mass murderers, and would probably take it personal if she tried to leave.
        Big Sister: After recently becoming reacquainted with her biological sisters, Mary-Maria has taken responsibility for looking out for them.

Sisters of Perpetual Darkness : PL 5
        Str 1 Sta 1 Dex 3 Agl 2 Fgt 4 Int 0 Awe 2 Pre 2
        Equipment: Armored jumpsuit (+2 toughness), katana
        Advantages: All-out Attack, Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll, Equipment 2, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Startle, Teamwork
        Skills: Acrobatics 2 (+4), Athletics 2 (+3), Intimidation 4 (+6)
        Offense: Init +6, Unarmed +6 (Damage 1), Katana +6 (Damage 4, crit 19-20)
        Defense: Dodge 5, Parry 6, Fort 4, Tough 4/2, Will 5
        Abilities 30 + Skills 4 + Advantages 10 + Defense 11 = 55

- Archer's adopted sister and unrequited love interest was raised to be a Sect assassin like he was, but between not being adopted to by the Archers until she was already ten, and not having "Obie's" psiot ability to mimic any skill he sees, I figured she wouldn't be quite on his level, physically. However, she is a lot more capable of using stealth, guile, and deception, while Archer is completely straight forward.
        - Mary-Maria's Minion advantage gives her four Sisters of Perpetual Darkness to fight along side her. She's in charge of the Sisterhood, but having four murder nuns tag along in any fight seems like plenty.
        - I imagine that if Mary-Maria continues to have a roll in the Valiant Universe now that ARCHER & ARMSTRONG is finished she won't continue to be the Sister Superior, so she may eventually need to be updated.
        Punching For Justice

Comment

Gilad Anni-Padda : PL 10
          The Eternal Warrior, Fist and Steel of the Earth

Abilities
          Str 5
          Sta 8
          Agl 4
          Dex 8
          Fgt 12
          Int 0
          Awe 2
          Pre 3

Powers

Earth's Chosen Protector
          - Immortality 18 • 36 pp
          - Immunity (aging); Limited (Ages very, very slowly) • 1 pp
          - Regeneration 5 • 5 pp

Equipment

Battleaxe • 3 ep
          Submachine Gun • 12 ep

- or -

Sword • 4 ep
          Shotgun • 10 ep

- and -

Explosive Caps • 15 ep

Advantages
          Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Attractive, Defensive Attack, Equipment 6, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Instant Up, Interpose, Languages 6, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Takedown, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
          Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 8 (+13), Expertise: Tactics 6 (+6), Intimidation 6 (+9), Perception 10 (+12), Stealth 6 (+10), Vehicles 2 (+10)

Offense
          Initiative +12
          Unarmed +12; Close, Damage 6
          Sword +12; Close, Damage 8, crit 19-20
          Battleaxe +12; Close, Damage 8
          Submachine gun +12; Ranged, Damage 4, Multiattack
          Shotgun +12; Ranged, Damage 5

Defense
          Dodge 10
          Parry 12
          Fort 8
          Tough 8
          Will 6

Power Points
          Abilities 86 + Skills 23 + Advantages 25 + Powers 42 + Defenses 10 = 186 Total

Complications
          Sword of the Earth When the Boon was activated, unlike his brothers, Gilad was dead. It was the Earth Goddess which brought him back to life, and grants him immortality and the ability to heal from any wound. Gilad serves the Earth and her voice, the Geomancers.
          Relentless Once he sets himself to a task, Gilad is single minded in seeing it through. With the exception of a Geomancer, he will kill anyone who tries to stop him.
          Sins of the Father Gilad has at least two children who inherited his immortality, Xaran and Mitu. Both of whom oppose their father and serve other gods. Xaran serves the Wild and she’s even more violent and savage than her father. Mitu, after being killed by Xaran, was raised by Death to be his sword.

- Gilad is sort of Valiant's Conan, if Conan lived in the modern world and liked guns.

- I gave Gilad two different "load-outs" for his equipment -- each with one melee weapon and one gun -- but I almost feel as though I should have given him a few more ranks in equipment and a whole lot more weapons. His "explosive caps" are the same as fragmentation grenades so far as damage goes, but he rarely uses them as a weapon. Mostly they're for doors that he can't simply smash through himself.

- Just like Armstrong, Gilad's can soak up a ton of damage, but he does take a while to regenerate lost limbs or burn scars, giving him a complication while he heals.

EDIT: Made some minor changes to Gilad to reflect information that the comics have since made clear. Specifically the fact that none of Giliad's powers are a result of the Boon, but rather all from being Fist and Steel of the Earth.
          Last edited by Kyle; 08-22-2015, 11:32 AM.
          Punching For Justice

Comment

Peter Stanchek : PL 13
            Sting

Abilities
            Str 0
            Sta 0
            Dex 1
            Agl 0
            Fgt 2
            Int 1
            Awe 3
            Pre 0

Powers
            Sting Perception Ranged Damage 13; Alternate Resistance (Will) • 52 pp

Telepathy
            - Mind Control: Perception Area Cumulative Affliction 13 (Entranced, Compelled, Controlled; Resisted by Will); Selective • 52 pp
            - DAE: Communication (Mental) 4 • 2 pp
            - DAE: Mind Reading 13 • 2 pp
            - DAE: Mind Wipe: Perception Ranged Affliction 13 (Transformed; Resisted by Will) • 2 pp
            - DAE: Mental Concealment: Ranged Concealment 10 (All Senses), Limited (Minds), Resisted by Will (DC 23) • 2 pp

Telekinetic Flight Flight 6 • 12 pp

Telekinetic Strike
            - Damage 16, Enhanced Skill (Close Combat: Unarmed 8) • 20 pp
            - AE: Burst Area Damage 10 • 1 pp

Telekinetic Shield
            - Force Field 16 • 16 pp
            - AE: Force Field 8; Affects Others • 1 pp

Regeneration Regeneration 1 • 1 pp

Psiot Activator Feature (able to activate latent Psiots) • 1 pp

Advantages
            Extraordinary Effort, Ultimate Effort: Will Resistance

Skills
            Deception 4 (+4), Expertise: Pharmaceuticals 2 (+3), Insight 2 (+5), Perception 3 (+6), Slight of Hand 2 (+3), Stealth 3 (+3)

Offense
            Initiative +0
            Sting Perception Ranged Damage 13, Resisted by Will
            Telekinetic Strike +10; Close, Damage 16
            Telekinetic Burst +10; Burst Area, Damage 10

Defense
            Dodge 2
            Parry 4
            Fort 1
            Tough 16
            Will 6

Power Points
            Abilities 14 + Skills 8 + Advantages 2 + Powers 164 + Defenses 8 = 196 Total

Complications
            Omnipath Peter constantly has to consciously block out the thoughts of everyone around him. In moments of high stress, it becomes more difficult.
            Addict After spending most of his teenage years in mental health facilities, Peter has developed an addiction to anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, and hallucinogenic drugs. He doesn’t actually need the pills, though they do help to keep him from hearing other peoples’ thoughts.
            Guilt Peter blames himself for the death of his best friend, Joe, and for using his powers to force Kris Hathway to briefly fall in love with him against her will.
            Omega Toyo Harada believes Peter has the potential to destroy everything he’s spent his entire life trying to build, and as such sees no options other than turning Peter to his side or destroying him.

- Ostensibly the third most powerful Psiot, Peter is sort of the Valiant version of Jean Grey, if Jean Grey was a pill addicted runaway. He has a large suite of mental powers, and is extremely dangerous.
            - Without his powers, Peter is fairly unremarkable. He's not particularly bright or an inspiring leader. His combat ability is fairly limited, and even with his powers, he all offense, relying on his personal force field to protect him.
            - Peter has the ability to activate latent Psiot powers in others. This is really more of a plot device than a useful ability, which is why I included it as a 1 pp Feature, as opposed to building an actual power.
            Punching For Justice

Comment

Kris Hathaway : PL 2

Abilities
              Str 0
              Sta 0
              Dex 1
              Agl 1
              Fgt 0
              Int 4
              Awe 2
              Pre 2

Advantages
              Attractive, Leadership, Luck 2, Taunt, Well Informed

Skills
              Deception 3 (+5), Expertise: Politics 2 (+6), Insight 3 (+5), Investigation 4 (+8)

Offense
              Initiative +1
              Unarmed +0; Close, Damage 0

Defense
              Dodge 2
              Parry 1
              Fort 1
              Tough 0
              Will 3

Power Points
              Abilities 20 + Skills 6 + Advantages 6 + Defenses 4 = Total 36

Complications
              Armchair Revolutionary Kris is the sort of teenager who’s angry all the time, and she’s specifically angry at The Man. She makes bad decisions because of it.
              Sense of Superiority Smart, but not enough to know better, Kris tends to look down her nose at anyone who isn’t her intellectual equal.

- I wasn't sure if I should bother stating up Kris, seeing as she's more or less a regular person, but she is the effective leader of the Renegades, so why not?
              - Speaking of, if she were being used in a game that allo
              - Kris is PL 2 only due her combined Fort/Will. The last place she should be is anywhere near combat, especially considering the amount of collateral damage that Valiant characters seem to generate.
              - I gave Kris the Attractive Advantage because several characters mention that she is. The regular artist on HARBINGER, Khari Evans, tends to draw...odd faces, and I think there must be some disconnect between description and depiction so far as Kris is concerned.
              Last edited by Kyle; 12-08-2014, 09:54 PM.
              Punching For Justice

Comment

I've got to say Kyle, this is a pretty interesting run of builds. It's been a long time since I even gave Valiant a second thought (since the first iteration of the publishing house wentbelly up, actually) and even then I only really sought out a couple characters. I'm familiar with the existence of Archer & Armstrong, but these others are new to me. Really, the only Valiant characters I followed at all were X-O Manowar, Dr. Solar and Ninjak and I guess Dr. Solar is now just Solar and printed by Dynamite comics.

Anyway, this is a pretty cool run of builds so far.

Comment

Thanks, Horsenhero.

I was aware of X-O MANOWAR and NINJAK before the revival, but I've never read any of the old Valiant books. However, Fred Van Lente is one of those writers who's stuff I'm always willing to check out, so when Valiant started publishing the new ARCHER & ARMSTRONG, I was immediately on board. I honestly cannot recommend that book enough, especially for anyone who enjoyed THE INCREDIBLE HERCULES.

Reading ARCHER & ARMSTRONG got me to check out the other Valiant books, and while I can't see that I think they hit it out of the park every time at this point I read everything they publish.
                  Punching For Justice

Comment

Zephyr : PL 4
                    Faith Herbert

Abilities
                    Str 0
                    Sta 1
                    Agl 2
                    Dex 1
                    Fgt -1
                    Int 0
                    Awe 2
                    Pre 1

Powers

Flight Flight 4 • 8 pp

Psionic Shield Force Field 2 • 1 pp

Companion Field Move Object 6; Reach; Reduced Range • 7 pp

Natural Telepath Communication (Mental) 2; Limited (telepaths only) • 6 pp

Equipment

Oxygen Tank: Immunity (suffocation) • 1 ep

Advantages
                    Defensive Roll, Equipment, Evasion, Inspire, Luck 3, Move-by Action

Skills
                    Expertise: Geek Culture 6 (+6), Insight 4 (+6), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 4 (+5), Stealth 2 (+4)

Offense
                    Initiative +1
                    Unarmed -1; Close, Damage 0

Defense
                    Dodge 4
                    Parry 0
                    Fort 3
                    Tough 4
                    Will 4

Power Points
                    Abilities 12 + Skills 9 + Advantages 8 + Powers 24 + Defenses 7 = 58 Total

Complications
                    Good Girl Gone Geek Raised on comic books and sci-fi, Faith is ecstatic about having superpowers and believes she and the other Renegades have a responsibility to be heroes.
                    Body Image Occasionally Faith becomes self conscious about or encounters discrimination due to her weight.

- Faith is the heart of the Renegades. She's the one who pushes them to be heroic, while the others are all a bit more self-interested.

- Despite her love of superhero comics, and being one of the very few Valiant characters to think of herself in that context, Faith is a non-combatant. Her approach to superheroing is much more about search & rescue, and I think that's pretty great.

- Of the three psiots activated by Peter, Faith is the one who's powers have grown the most. She was only able to fly to start with, but her abilities have grown steadily since then.

- One of her odder powers is the Companion Field. It seems to be a very limited telekinetic bubble that she uses to carry one other person, without having to physically carry them. Presumably she could lift something other than a person, but I can't remember it happening. She's also not the only psiot to exhibit the ability; one of the Generation Zero kids also flies and generates a companion field.

EDIT: Since I wrote this build originally, Faith has been shown to carry multiple people via her Companion Field, by having them all stand on a platform. Adjusted her powers to reflect this.
                    Last edited by Kyle; 08-22-2015, 11:38 AM.
                    Punching For Justice

Comment

So Faith actually looks overweight now. Cool. In the original Harbingers series, her weight was always being mentioned, but the artist couldn't draw fat people. I'm glad her powers have expanded beyond simple flight. Now I'm feeling the urge to hunt down some Valiant stuff, though I'll probably skip Magnus Robotfighter...the concept still doesn't thrill me.

Comment

I'll tell you what that dude could draw: Mullets! Original 90s Torque is glorious!

Valiant has been releasing collections of a lot of the old stuff. I've been tempted to pick up ARCHER & ARMSTRONG just to see the roots of the current incarnation. No Magnus though. the licence to all the Golden Key characters reverted some time after Acclaim was shuttered. It's a shame because I would love to see Turok running around the current Valiant continuity. His recent IDW book was not great.
                        Last edited by Kyle; 12-09-2014, 12:20 AM.
                        Punching For Justice

Comment

So, no Magnus, no Turok, Son of Stone and no Solar. Too bad. Is Rai still available for them to use? I can't remember his pedigree right off hand.

Comment

Yeah, they're publishing RAI right now. It's just into its second story arc. Matt Kindt and Clayton Crane. So far it's really good.
                            Punching For Justice

Comment

Flamingo : PL 8
                              Charlene Dupre

Abilities
                              Str 1
                              Sta 2
                              Dex 2
                              Agl 3
                              Fgt 1
                              Int 0
                              Awe 2
                              Pre 3

Powers
                              Too Hot to Handle
                              - Damage 12 • 12 pp
                              - AE Damage 6; Area (shapeable) • 1 pp
                              - Immunity (personal powers) • 1 pp

Advantages
                              All-out Attack, Attractive 2, Fascinate: Dancer, Interpose, Improved Defense

Skills
                              Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics 2 (+3), Close Attack: Unarmed 3 (+4), Deception 3 (+6), Expertise: Dancer 4 (+3), Insight 3 (+5), Sleight of Hand 2 (+4)

Offense
                              Initiative +3
                              Unarmed +4; Close, Damage 12
                              Flameburst; Shapeable area, Damage 6

Defense
                              Dodge 3
                              Parry 1
                              Fort 2
                              Tough 2
                              Will 2

Power Points
                              Abilities 28 + Skills 10 + Advantages 6 + Powers 14 + Defenses 0 = 58 Total

Complications
                              Bad Reputation: The sort of woman who likes sex, and is open about liking sex, Charlene suffers from all the associated cultural baggage.
                              Stoic: Charlene is very accepting of her situation in life, regardless of what that might be, and rarely takes actions to change that situation.

- Charlene is a fun character. She has a lot of reasons to be glum and depressed -- and I think that having her be somewhat fatalist is a way of presenting that -- but instead of brooding, her response seems to be to enjoy life as much as she can, and I like it when superhero characters can have fun.
                              - In many ways, Charlene is sort of the den mother of the team, in that she's the one who puts everyone else's interests above her own. She's also the oldest and easily the most mature. However, she isn't completely defined by that, like Jean Grey or Susan Storm often are, and actually does get to have her own interests as well.
                              - Like the rest of the Renegades, combat isn't really Charlene's thing. She's good on offense -- and meets her caps -- but pretty terrible at defense.
                              - It's not completely clear if Charlene is actually immune to all fire, or just her own powers. I decided to err on the side of caution though, and assume that -- based on the source material -- that Charlene's fire won't harm her but other fire will, including fires started by her powers.
                              - Flamingo is a terrible name.
                              Punching For Justice

Comment

Working...
                              X