Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World of Fighting - Where justice is settled via tournaments and punching!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Fighting - Where justice is settled via tournaments and punching!

Hey folks,

I'm enjoying being an author a great deal but that doesn't mean I'm not capable of still doing tabletop RPGs. I've recently started a new one based on the old Street Fighter: The Storytelling RPG. Except, of course, I'm doing it with M&M rules because the Storyteller System was a TERRIBLE fit for a fighting game.

My friend Michael Suttkus, co-author of Halt Evil Doer!, is also helping me with this tabletop RPG and I'd love your guys help in creating a unified fighting game world. He's a big Tekken fan so, of course, we're incorporating that. Then, of course, that led to other games being incorporated until it started to look like a crazy martial arts universe of anime, Western RPGs, and comic influence as long as they involved PUNCHING!

I'm also thinking of going one step further since low-level superheroes are basically what these games are about and drawing from the many-many crossover games in this. Yes, it will be a world where the street superheroes of Marvel and DC also exist!

I think it'll be fun and I'll share my notes on the game as it happens.
    [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]
    [b]Twitter[/b]: Charles Phipps@Willowhugger

Re: World of Fighting - Where justice is settled via tournaments and punching!

given the Injustice series and some of the more-out there fighting game entries, I'd say the setting can handle some of the bigger stuff, just viewed through a fighting game lens

if only because "world as fighting game" means the possibility of valid tactics including "I suplex the ghost train"

Comment

Really neat idea! Good luck with it. One of my groups ran a pro-wrestling based campaign for years, and it remains one of our favourite games we've ever played.
      "Mom, is the Dairy Queen married to the Burger King?" - My five-year-old

The Ro Show, my collection of characters and random builds.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreuzritter View Post
        given the Injustice series and some of the more-out there fighting game entries, I'd say the setting can handle some of the bigger stuff, just viewed through a fighting game lens

if only because "world as fighting game" means the possibility of valid tactics including "I suplex the ghost train"
        You can always go with the Lucha Underground style. Avatars of Aztecs gods, dragons, time traveling aliens, and zombies mixed with Mexican ninja sadists, a machine, and a man who will not die. Its wrestling meets urban fantasy and all done in the style of Robert Rodriguez's Mariachi film style.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I've already got the campaign up and running which is basically a shapeless mish-mash of all the wonderful things I love about Freedom City, Marvel comics, DC, Street Fighter, Tekken, and probably Fatal Fury just because I absolutely adore Geese Howard as a potential enemy for the player characters. I imagine the supernatural elements of Darkstalker and Mortal Kombat are also canon but they won't impact the PCs much.

Getting time to write down the basics of the world has been difficult but the things I'm going for so far as "brainstorming" has been the following:

The Rules of the World of Fighting

The first rule is you don't talk about...oh wait. Yes, you DO talk about the World of Fighting.

General

* The universe operates on a low-end spectrum of superpowers, roughly equivalent to the Ultimates instead of the DCU and mainstream Marvel. The Incredible Hulk is still a terrifying sort of person but probably taps out at about 100 tons lifting/punching capacity. Heihachi Mishima, Akuma, and M. Bison are the "most powerful" beings on Earth as sucht hings are measured.

* Charles Atlas Superpowers are a thing in the setting so that people can gain suphuman abilities simply by studying martial arts and spiritualism to a level that grants them. Ki is a recognized scientific concept as is training yourself to the point you can punch through walls.

* Supernatural Martial Arts are also a thing with people always trying to carry on disciplines passed down through families or secret societies. Generally, most mages also learn to be Kung Fu Wizards like Doctor Strange in the MCU is portrayed as being.

* Street Level heroes tend to be where superheroism "lives" with the upper limit being more like Pulp heroes. Daredevil, Spiderman, Jessica Jones, and Batman are the people you're going to likely meet versus larger foes. That doesn't mean you won't meet ninjas or ancient secret societies or even the occasional ghost.

* The age of superheroes never quite TOOK OFF the way it did in other worlds due to a combination of extremely bad luck. Superheroes, vigilantes, and martial arts duels are certainly a thing but people are more likely to report on the next tournament versus how Chun Li saved the world.

Basically, superpowers aren't quite as impressive in this world and those who can shake the world prefer to avoid the spotlight.

* It's a fairly Bronze Age sort of world where heroes aren't going to tend to die themselves or the villains (though they may have ambiguous deaths) but people will tend to die around them. Killing people you defeat is going to be considered extreme.

* Guns are basically just flavor in this world as its a world where you really can train to be bullet proof or dodge them. Melee weapons are more common but more for bonuses against the unarmed fighters.

* New York City and Metropolis merged to become "Metro City" as part of a deal between State Governor Lex Luthor and Wilson Fisk. Lex Luthor eventually became President of the United States and is currently so in the setting. He's up against Senator "Iron" Mike Haggar, though, so his chances aren't very good and it's the end of his term anyway.
          Last edited by Charles Phipps; 09-08-2017, 04:28 PM.
          [b]The United Federation of Charles[/b]: [url]http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Street Fighter

* Chun Li, Cammy, and Guile are members are AEGIS. They are high ranking field agents working to infiltrate the various criminal organizations that watch the Street Fighting circuit.

* Crimson Viper actually works for the CIA and loathes AEGIS.

* Ansatsuken Karate is the kind practiced by the Hand but which Ryu and Ken learned a benevolent version of.

* Akuma is one of the strongest beings in the setting and fought the Hulk to a standstill.

* Shadow Law is actually a re-organized Hydra and has taken over that organization with M. Bison its present leader. The former Nazi leadership has been purged and yet, somehow, they're every bit as awful. S.I.N is the former AIM that has been annexed by Bison.

* Sakura Kusango is the daughter of Taskmaster and possesses the ability to copy martial arts like her father.

* Blanka is a Lensherr virus mutant like so many others and, oddly enough, one of the most popular ones in the world.

* The Kingpin's mentor in sumo was E. Honda, much to his shame and horror.

* Vega is a former Hand assassin who has since done a lateral defection to Hydra. He's also a serial killer and has fought Daredevil several times.

* Sagat left Shadow Law when he discovered they were more than just criminals but terrorists. He's since taken up work a vigilante himself and regained much of his old prestige.

* Dan Hibiki actually has an incredibly powerful healing factor and is able to take almost no end of punishment in the pursuit of his extremely poorly-thought out life choices.

He's also a member of the Great Lakes Avengers along with Sakura.

* Karin Kanzuki is Tony Stark's illegimate daughter. Why her hair is blonde confuses both of them.

* The Mad Gear Syndicate is the current criminal enterprise of the Kingpin and basically functions on two levels: the first level is a massive army of colorfully costumed low-level thugs and criminals outfitted with gimmicks as well as advanced weapons. These gangs have chapters in most of America's major cities and exist to make trouble for the police and superheroes. The second level is the corporate empire Fisk manages which takes advantage of these thugs to keep property values low and force corporations to obey his commands.
            Last edited by Charles Phipps; 09-08-2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

DC Changes

* In this world, Superman died in the Kansas landing or was spirited away mid-flight by the New Gods or Darkseid which results in the world not becoming quite as interesting to outer space forces as it would be in other universes.

* Abin Sur also survived his crash landing with the help of Hal Jordan so he returned to duty as a Green Lantern, basically deciding to keep a "hands off" approach to the planet as he dealt with other elements in the Sector. He does, however, do a decent job keeping the Kree and Skrull from invading, though he needed Rom Space Knight's help defeating the Dire Wraiths.

* Wonder Woman is an active superheroine but actually a new comer in this world as Paradise Island was just invaded by Shadow Law and become part of the new world. She's of the "actually bullets hurt" sort of resistance so her bracers are actually needed. Most people believe she's actually making up the Themyscira origin as a stage persona.

* Jonn Jones is actually the Street Fighter III character Q who goes around wearing a mask and fights people as well as investigates murders. He's arguably as strong as the Hulk with better abilities but has lost his flight abilities.

* The Arrowverse version of the Flash and Green Arrow exists in this universe. The Flash's powers have been weakened recently, however, and he can only use them for short spurts.

* The Justice League existed with lower powered heroes but is currently defunct.

* Batman has the origin of having trained under the League of Shadows in this continuity but has since gone on to found the entire Bat Family. He also has elements of the Arkham continuity in the fact he's an older Bruce Wayne who has pushed himself to the limits of his abilities but has his successors picked out. Cassandra Cain is the best qualified to take up his position even as Bruce still favors Nightwing.

* Lady Shiva has a ki-upgrade in this universe which makes her one of the deadliest beings on Earth and able to punch islands. She is currently a member of the Hand alongside Elektra and co-leader.

Comment

Marvel Changes

* Captain America remains frozen with the players having the potential to discover him and prevent Shadow Law from taking over.

* Shadow Law is based on the island of Genosha.

* SHIELD is AEGIS in this world because I like the name better. Nick Fury Senior was assassinated in this universe (or he's in hiding) which has left the organization somewhat leaderless.

* Thor is the Ultimates version of the character in that most people believe he's insane or putting on an act being the "spirit" of Thor inhabiting a human body. Thor, himself, is also good natured rivals with Raiden. He's roughly as powerful as the low powered Hulk.

* Rather than become a superhero, Tony Stark has devoted himself to outfitting the government and AEGIS with weapons against the various threats he faces. A part of him struggles with this as he's still producing devices for killing but the world is such a terrible place and he has no Captain America to return to.

* The Hand is an offshoot of the League of Shadows in this universe. Generally, the former is a murder-for-hire and demon-worshiping sect that doesn't care about anything but its own power while the league remains the (mostly) well-intentioned extremists they are in DC canon.

* Shang Chi, the Master of Kung Fu, is actually Ra's Al Ghul's son in this universe.

* Mutants didn't exist until 1942 when Doctor Nathaniel Essex, working for the Illuminati (oh, yeah, they exist in Street Fighter lore) created the Lensherr Virus. It is generally a benign harmless virus but outbreaks have an effect on a miniscule number of humans that turns them into low-powered mutants.

The ones directly injected with it become very powerful or die.

* Wolverine was a long-lived samurai Canadian well before he became a Lensherr Virus recepient. He's somewhat of a cross-universe character even in-universe as he has experience as both a martial artist as well as superhero, soldier, and spy.

* The X-men are a new organization with a young Charles Xavier and his five original students who are actually a (good natured) Street Fighting team. Due to superpowers being so abundant, mutants are not quite so terrifying yet.

I'll get to Street Fighter and Tekken next.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Phipps View Post
                  * Shang Chi, the Master of Kung Fu, is actually Ra's Al Ghul's son in this universe.
                  His rejection of his father wounded Ra's so much that it's the reason he's turn to outside heirs and potential husbands for his daughters.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltron64 View Post
                    His rejection of his father wounded Ra's so much that it's the reason he's turn to outside heirs and potential husbands for his daughters.
                    Notably in this reality, Ra's Al Ghul also has a bit more of a Gray Morality side as this reality has quite a few threats which he often finds himself facing in addition to the heroes because there's far less of them to go around. The League of Shadows is a dire enemy of the Hand, M. Bison (who craves the immortality of the Lazarus Pits), Shang Tsung, and the Illuminati. It is possible for heroes to actually end up working with Ra's as well as against him due to the fact he is a man of his word in a setting where that still has value.

His daughters are thus a bit more loyal to him in this reality and they were never disloyal because his ruthlessness is a bit blunted.

In simple terms, a world of honorable combat and warriors punching their way to great justice is similar enough to the one he idealizes that he's not quite the anachronism which led him to his most ruthless acts.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Phipps View Post
                      Notably in this reality, Ra's Al Ghul also has a bit more of a Gray Morality side as this reality has quite a few threats which he often finds himself facing in addition to the heroes because there's far less of them to go around. The League of Shadows is a dire enemy of the Hand, M. Bison (who craves the immortality of the Lazarus Pits), Shang Tsung, and the Illuminati. It is possible for heroes to actually end up working with Ra's as well as against him due to the fact he is a man of his word in a setting where that still has value.

His daughters are thus a bit more loyal to him in this reality and they were never disloyal because his ruthlessness is a bit blunted.

In simple terms, a world of honorable combat and warriors punching their way to great justice is similar enough to the one he idealizes that he's not quite the anachronism which led him to his most ruthless acts.
                      So the guy PCs turn to when they really need to dirty their hands...

Comment

This is looking so cool, I can't wait to see how you incorporate Darkstalker and Mortal Kombat. Also you should probably check out the Street Fighter vs. Darkstalkers by Udon Entertainment, it does a pretty good job of tying the two settings together.

Comment

Hey-this is really cool! I'm glad you're doing a new setting, even if it's a "composite universe" of sorts.

All my best.

Comment

Working...
                          X